HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Line ideas

Old
07-01-2008, 10:46 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
What makes you so sure of all of this? Are you supposed to be Metropolit expert #1 or something?

Most people, and the stats, disagree with you. Metropolit is a third line player. And yes, Thoreson plays center.
Yeah, I thought Thor played some center

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
I'm hoping for...

Gagne-Briere-Hartnell
Upshall-Richards-Lupul
Knuble-Carter-Giroux
Cote-Metropolit-Downie
Thor

Or

Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Gagne-Richards-Lupul
Upshall-Metropolit-Giroux
Cote-Thor-Knuble
Downie

Kimmo-Coburn
Jones-Parent
Ossi-Emenger
hatch

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:55 PM
PhilaFlyers

this is what I'd like to see

Gagne Briere Giroux
Lupul Richards Hartnell
Upshall Carter Downie
Thoresen Metropolit Knuble
Cote

Timonen Coburn
Parent Jones
Eminger Vannanen
Kukkonen

Old
07-02-2008, 08:22 PM
chromemaro

vCash: 50
considering hatch is in on D: id like to see

Timmo Coburn
Jones Parent
Eminger Hatch (Vaananen)

hatch and ossi switch every so often cause of hatchs knee

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:38 PM
mikedifr

I dont have a link but apparently my father said that either in the paper or on the news Holmgren mentioned that Metropolit was a replacement for Dowd which I think would put rest to the Briere to wing idea. Did anyone else hear this?

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:45 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I dont have a link but apparently my father said that either in the paper or on the news Holmgren mentioned that Metropolit was a replacement for Dowd which I think would put rest to the Briere to wing idea. Did anyone else hear this?
Man, this would really not make any sense, I mean, why would Metro come here if he wasn't going to be the 3rd line C?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:10 AM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Gagne(? healthy) - Carter - Giroux (eventually in the year)
Hartnell/lupul - Richards - Briere
Lupul/hartnell - Metro - Knuble
Upshall - Thor/Downie - Cote/downie

Two offensive line that will be like wrecking crews, potential for 1-2 checking players on each line without giving up offence, a decent shut down line, and an energy line from hell (maybe a different center on the energy line)
I think we look good! suprises always happen in camp, maybe we have a miracle or two in store for us?

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:19 AM
Amateur Hour

Gagne/Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Hartnell/Gagne-Richards-Lupul
Cote-Thoresen-Knuble (perhaps save his stamina for the PP?)

Timonen-Coburn
Jones-Parent/Hatcher
Eminger-Vaananen/Hatcher
Kukkonen/Vaananen

Simply put, that defense is not good enough to make this team a serious Cup contender.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:42 AM
CoolinWithCosta

Quote:
Originally Posted by socraticirony View Post
Gagne/Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Hartnell/Gagne-Richards-Lupul
Cote-Thoresen-Knuble (perhaps save his stamina for the PP?)

Timonen-Coburn
Jones-Parent/Hatcher
Eminger-Vaananen/Hatcher
Kukkonen/Vaananen

Simply put, that defense is not good enough to make this team a serious Cup contender.
No Downie? Death to you, sir.

CoolinWithCosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:47 AM
PhilaFlyers

I liked the lines I had posted
with a 4th line of Thor-Metro-Knuble
it makes the 4th line somewhat of an offensive threat

Old
07-03-2008, 01:11 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg View Post
No Downie? Death to you, sir.
Nah... I don't feel there's a place on this roster -- as presently constructed -- for Downie. I'd rather him get first line minutes in the AHL than 4th line minutes (or a regular spot on the "healthy scratches" list) at the NHL level.

Old
07-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Talbetts

How about something a little different?

Briere - Carter - Lupul
Hartnell - Richards - Downie
Gagne - Metro - Giroux
Cote - Upshall - Knuble

or

Gags - Briere - Lupul
Upshall - Carter - Giroux
Cote - Metro - Knuble

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:26 AM
soldmysoul2rocknroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Most people, and the stats, disagree with you. Metropolit is a third line player. And yes, Thoreson plays center.
He is not a 3rd line player on this roster, which is the point I think most are trying to make. His number's might indicate 3rd line time, which is what he's been playing but not all NHL rosters are equal, therefore he might be a 3rd line player in Boston, 2nd line player in Phx and not even considered for Det... it all depends on where he plays.

soldmysoul2rocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Amateur Hour

Putting Metropolit on the 4th line is a waste. The guy played 16 minutes per game last year and was quite effective in that role -- I think the Flyers envision him as the team's 3rd line center. I can't imagine he'd have signed here otherwise. Besides, I'd rather Carter get the chance to play with Briere, rather than Upshall or Knuble, or whoever else (Giroux is an option, but I'd be more comfortable going with the tested veteran who has already proven what he can do at this level).

Old
07-03-2008, 11:11 AM
chromemaro

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27272727 View Post

Briere - Carter - Lupul
Gagne - Metro - Giroux
Cote - Upshall - Knuble

or
actually pretty intresting assuming gags is not what he used to be.

would peopole stop putting hatch in the second pairing...i dont think he can play over half the games as part of the third pairing let alone play a few in the second.

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:18 PM
PhilaFlyers

If Briere plays center, there is no way Metropolit is a 3rd liner.
Briere
Richards
Carter
Metropolit

Old
07-03-2008, 01:22 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangla View Post
If Briere plays center, there is no way Metropolit is a 3rd liner.
Briere
Richards
Carter
Metropolit
i think everyone here knows that, its just if briere plays wing

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:

Briere - Carter - Lupul
Gagne - Metro - Giroux
Cote - Upshall - Knuble
You do not pay 5M to Gagne and then play him on 3rd line 30pts center.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:

Gags - Briere - Lupul
Upshall - Carter - Giroux
Cote - Metro - Knuble
no way in hell downie gets second line minutes with this roster.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:06 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Gagne-Briere-Knuble
Lupul-Richards-Hartnell
Upshall-Carter-Giroux
Cote-Metropolit-Thoresen
Downie

Part of me wants to switch Knuble and Giroux, as we know Upshall-Carter-Knuble can be a great line. And while Briere and Giroux together may seem scarily small...I'd still like to see how it goes for a game or two. The passing and creativity between those two could potentially be incredible...add Sniper Gagne into the mix and we might really have something.

There's no need for anyone to get all concerned that Giroux won't be ready for first line minutes or anything like that. All this talk that certain guys shouldn't be on the first line, or shouldn't be on the third line...blah, blah, blah, it's all a bunch of crap. This team is not too different than last year's, and the top three lines can still be constructed in a way that has them all being quite effective, and mostly being deserving of rather equal minutes.

While the Upshall-Carter-Knuble line was great, I imagine there's a good chance they'll want to provide Carter with a legit playmaker this year in an effort to see more goals from him. I suppose that would be either Briere or Giroux.

If they want to move Briere to the wing, you'd think it would be on Carter's. Maybe...

Gagne-Carter-Briere
Lupul-Richards-Giroux
Upshall-Metropolit-Hartnell

Wait a second...as I just typed that out, I realized there is no way they're putting Briere on the wing, unless another forward gets traded at least. As it stands now, Briere on the wing would mean Metropolit at third line center, eh? Metropolit at third line center bumps someone out of the top nine. And there simply is not anyone deserving to be bumped out. Maybe Upshall, but that's a terrible use of Upshall if you ask me. It certainly can't be Knuble...who is coming off of scoring nearly 30 goals and making $2.8 mill. Besides, he's just not a fourth line type of player. You'd be wasting potential offense, and he wouldn't even be great at fourth line duties.

All things considered, I currently don't see any way they can intend to move Briere to the wing.

As for Downie...I'd like to see him getting time on the fourth line some nights in place of Cote, or perhaps Thoresen...and then giving him time in the top nine if there are any injuries. I don't see use for him as a regular...maybe on the fourth line, but certainly not above that. Not only are there too many guys ahead of him, but even if there weren't....I'm still very much on the fence about him, and whether or not he'll ever even be an effective NHL player. I know he's young and can still improve, but IMO, his skating and lack of quickness in pretty much all aspects of his game is going to prevent him from ever really cutting it. Sometimes, when he's out there...I just feel like everything he is doing is kind of in slow motion compared to everyone else. It's not just his skating.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:19 PM
BiGauth

I hope:

Gagne-Briere-Giroux (French connection! )
Hartnell-Richards-Lupul
Upshall-Carter-Knuble
Cote-Metropolit-Downie

Timonen-Coburn
Eminger-Jones
Vaananen-Parent/Kukkonen

Biron
Niity

BiGauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:20 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Gagne-Briere-Knuble
Lupul-Richards-Hartnell
Upshall-Carter-Giroux
Cote-Metropolit-Thoresen
Downie

Part of me wants to switch Knuble and Giroux, as we know Upshall-Carter-Knuble can be a great line. And while Briere and Giroux together may seem scarily small...I'd still like to see how it goes for a game or two. The passing and creativity between those two could potentially be incredible...add Sniper Gagne into the mix and we might really have something.

There's no need for anyone to get all concerned that Giroux won't be ready for first line minutes or anything like that. All this talk that certain guys shouldn't be on the first line, or shouldn't be on the third line...blah, blah, blah, it's all a bunch of crap. This team is not too different than last year's, and the top three lines can still be constructed in a way that has them all being quite effective, and mostly being deserving of rather equal minutes.

While the Upshall-Carter-Knuble line was great, I imagine there's a good chance they'll want to provide Carter with a legit playmaker this year in an effort to see more goals from him. I suppose that would be either Briere or Giroux.

If they want to move Briere to the wing, you'd think it would be on Carter's. Maybe...

Gagne-Carter-Briere
Lupul-Richards-Giroux

Wait a second...as I just typed that out, I realized there is no way they're putting Briere on the wing, unless another forward gets traded at least. As it stands now, Briere on the wing would mean Metropolit at third line center, eh? Metropolit at third line center bumps someone out of the top nine. And there simply is not anyone deserving to be bumped out. Maybe Upshall, but that's a terrible use of Upshall if you ask me. It certainly can't be Knuble...who is coming off of scoring nearly 30 goals and making $2.8 mill. Besides, he's just not a fourth line type of player. You'd be wasting potential offense, and he wouldn't even be great at fourth line duties.

All things considered, I currently don't see any way they can intend to move Briere to the wing.

As for Downie...I'd like to see him getting time on the fourth line some nights in place of Cote, or perhaps Thoresen...and then giving him time in the top nine if there are any injuries. I don't see use for him as a regular...maybe on the fourth line, but certainly not above that. Not only are there too many guys ahead of him, but even if there weren't....I'm still very much on the fence about him, and whether or not he'll ever even be an effective NHL player. I know he's young and can still improve, but IMO, his skating and lack of quickness in pretty much all aspects of his game is going to prevent him from ever really cutting it. Sometimes, when he's out there...I just feel like everything he is doing is kind of in slow motion compared to everyone else. It's not just his skating.
Dont mean to be a broken record, but this is why I keep saying that if Briere moves to wing it creates too many problems figuring out who is playing where on this roster.

Gagne Briere
Hartnell Richards
Upshall Carter
Cote Metro

Mix and match the RWs until something works best (Lupul, Giroux, Knuble, Downie)

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:47 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Gagne-Briere-Knuble
Lupul-Richards-Hartnell
Upshall-Carter-Giroux
Cote-Metropolit-Thoresen
Downie

Gagne-Carter-Briere
Lupul-Richards-Giroux

If Mike Knuble plays on the top line, i will eat a pile of Randy Jones' excrement.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:56 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Gagne-Briere-Hartnell
Lupul-Richards-Giroux
Upshall-Carter-Knuble
Cote-Metropolit-Thoresen

I think that would be good. I saw Giroux playing with Richards when he was called up and and seemed to do pretty well. I think he would help Lupul also get more goals.

I also did like the whole:

Upshall-Carter-Giroux

But as I was thinking that moves Knuble to the second pairing with Richards. I dont know bout that. a line of Lupul-Richards-Knuble seems to lower their speed and their potential. Being honest Knuble seems to be the one i have no idea where to put. He did work well with Carter and Upshall so thats probally his best bet. I think Downie should start on phantoms, working on his speed and skating.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:15 PM
BiGauth

I think Richards-Giroux duo could be really good!

BiGauth is offline   Reply With Quote