HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

grabovski to toronto,we sign alex henry, cedrick desjardins

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Blades 0f Steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
BoS your "Dark Gainey" puts in mind the singer of Rammstein.
EmoBob only listens to Tony Danza

Old
07-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
fletcher wants grabo so badly habs get a prospect AND a 2nd - more than they got for huet.
Freaky hein?

Old
07-03-2008, 01:52 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Yeah our depth at centre is incredible.

This move makes absolutely zero sense and probably will bite us in the ass.
Every move or proposed idea everybody has makes no sense to you. Why would this one be any different?

Old
07-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Quiet Robert

Another American defenceman!!!!!!!!!! What the frick is Gainey thinking!!!!!!!!!!! Plus the 2nd round pick is 2010!!! Gainey is asleep at the switch!

Seriously though, what's the word on Pateryn? 6'02 215 dman going to Michigan next year, any hope he gets decent minutes? My guess is Timmins comes out and says "Pateryn is a big kid and we like his game. He was in our top 20 so we're happy to get him now"

Anyways, I don't know that I can wish too much luck to Grabo in a Leafs uniform, but at least he'll get a chance to play more and maybe have a solid career in the NHL. It sucks but I just don't think he would have figured in Montreal's plans. He's a good offensive talent, but just a little too small and easily knocked off the puck to have long term success in this league, but we'll see.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Where are all the people who were saying that we should call up Grabovski from the AHL so that he can center the first line 2 years ago?

Old
07-03-2008, 01:54 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
or that the Leafs keep trading them away and Leaf fans have convinced themselves that they're worthless.
I would think that's the only reasonable answer as I think the Leafs scouts are fairly decent.
The Leafs problem (at least in the last 10-15 years) wasn't their drafting...it's the lack of drafting...
Their prospects aren't that great but considering they never had picks in drafts (because of losing them in trades) they still found NHL serviceable players.
And they don't seem to be adept in grooming their prospects into NHL players in any case.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Fido22

On another note, what the heck are the Leafs doing?

Waive Wellwood, trade a 2nd and a 5th for Grabovski.

Trade a 3rd for Myers.

Trade 2nds to move up to Schenn.

Buy out Tucker. Try to get rid of McCabe, Kubina.

Sign Hagman and Finger.

WHERE ARE THEY GOING?

Are they rebuilding? Why trade away picks like that? Why try to resign Sundin?

Do they have a plan?

Old
07-03-2008, 01:58 PM
JrHockeyFan

Henry is a big kid that started with the Oil after Jr in London. he is 6' 5" and 220. He is going to be in the AHL I presume which probably says more about guys moving up to the bigs from the Dogs

I've never been a big fan of Grabo. If that skill and ability was in a bigger package, or at least a package that played bigger, no problems. Good to get back a 2nd

Old
07-03-2008, 02:01 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post

Trade a 3rd for Myers.

Sign Hagman and Finger.

WHERE ARE THEY GOING?

Do they have a plan?
the bolded part was worth it in the long run IMO
as for the rest of it.. who knows..
although, when i lived in TO, one summer the leafs actually decided it would be best to stand pat and not make whole-sale changes and alter the team drastically because they had done decently well the year before and figured would continue getting better, a bunch of fans somehow took this to mean management didnt care and had a "protest"in front of the ACC. every time i saw that on tv i was in tears because of how hard i was laughing.

Old
07-03-2008, 02:11 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:

Trade a 3rd for Myers.

Sign Hagman and Finger.

WHERE ARE THEY GOING?

Do they have a plan?
I like how they got Schenn.
I think everything else is just a disguise to legitimately get 1st pick in drafts without seeming to tank on purpose. Yup, a conspiracy
I hope they are on a 7-10 year rebuilding stage because they are gonna need it...

Old
07-03-2008, 02:19 PM
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =

Quote:

Trade a 3rd for Myers.

Sign Hagman and Finger.

WHERE ARE THEY GOING?

Do they have a plan?
I do not know what Cliff is doing...I guess he's making us tougher and bigger. The Schenn move was solid tho, i look foward to him crushing your fowards . What someone said before is right, our 2nd round draft picks are going to become late firsts...

Anyways, can leaf fans expect anything decent out of Grabovski. Also, where is he from?

Old
07-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Canadian View Post
Anyways, can leaf fans expect anything decent out of Grabovski.
Honestly, it's hard to say. He was mediocre with us giving us Lapierre type production. He's about as weak as they get and gets knocked off the puck all the time. Plus he has a tendency to get rocked hard because he often plays with his head down.

He has talent, though his talent level seems overrated around here, but he needs to learn how to use it effectively at the NHL level. Since we're not in rebuild mode, he was kind of useless for us. Who knows though, he could improve and become a pretty good player.

Old
07-03-2008, 02:26 PM

Man if Gainey could have somehow found a way to include Dandenault in this trade I would have liked it better.

Old
07-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Honestly, it's hard to say. He was mediocre with us giving us Lapierre type production. He's about as weak as they get and he has a tendency to get rocked hard because he often plays with his head down.

He has some talent though, but he needs to learn how to use it at the NHL level. Since we're not in rebuild mode, he was kind of useless for us. Who knows though, he could improve.
He was like a younger, less skilled version of Samsonov but with a better shot. He could bloom on the Leafs who could have him surrounded by bigger linemates. He's a project player that has a high risk/reward quotient. Especially considering what they gave up for him.

Old
07-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Canadian View Post
Anyways, can leaf fans expect anything decent out of Grabovski. Also, where is he from?
Born in East Germany but moved to Belarus and now plays for Belarus internationally.

As for what you'll get, it's tough to say. He tore it up in the AHL, but never looked 100% comfortable in the NHL. He's listed at 5'11 180-185, which would make him bigger than Koivu, but the reality is he's probably closer to 5'9 170. He looks really small out there and gets knocked off the puck really easily.

But he has great hands, is a good skater and has good offensive instincts. He was on pace for a 31 point season last year, which isn't terrible, and considering the minutes he got, again isn't that bad. But when you look at a guy like Lapierre who is 6'2 and can play an agitator game and still get a 30 point pace on that 4th line, you wonder where Grabovski is going to fit in. If he can stand up to the physicality of the NHL or find a niche where he doesn't have to go in traffic too much, he could maybe be a full-time NHLer.

He seems to be one of those "top 6 or nothing" type of players. He can succeed in the AHL, but it seems it's going to be tough for him to succeed in the NHL if he's not in the top 6 because he doesn't bring enough to keep a spot in the bottom 6.

But he's a real interesting player and can be real fun to watch.

Old
07-03-2008, 02:34 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermy View Post
who is Alex Henry?
I taught this kid in Timmins Ontario back in the 80's.

He may be on the professional downswing but, contrary to the mass majority of the posters and, specifically, the denigrators here in this community, he made the bigs for a few years.

He may not make the Canadiens team itself but he's still become part of my favourite team's depth... I'm glad.

Old
07-03-2008, 02:47 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Shame on You

Taking advantage of an Old Senile man like Fletch, who was brought in to facilitate a rebuilding program, has traded away two high 2nd rd picks and two high 3rd rd picks, now has traded for another Slugobov or another Eastern European Head Case. Draft Smaft is alive and well in T.O. as it has for the last 40 years.

Old
07-03-2008, 02:48 PM
sampollock

good, grabby unsigned, i think,

and a sheet disturber, i read somewhere , he would miss pratice, if carbo told him, he was not to start the next game?

anyone else hear that?

Old
07-03-2008, 02:48 PM
johnnyboo

Greg Pateryn sounds intriguing

Commentary by McKeen's Hockey Prospects

06/14/2008 - Just a year removed from playing a low level of hockey in Michigan High School, Pateryn blossomed this season with Ohio and was the teams' lone representative at the USHL All-Star Game. That developmental upswing he displayed is a positive, as is the fact that he is committed to a great program like the University of Michigan. He has no glaring weaknesses and really matured as a two-way defender this year, although he is still a bit of a neophyte as a player. Bank on his physical-defensive game translating to the higher levels, but he will need to work on his discipline some.

Old
07-03-2008, 02:50 PM
b00tsauce

Give it time...Im sure BG is taking a chance on him just like many of the youngins...he might be a flash in the pan, but we won't know till we take him in...

Old
07-03-2008, 02:58 PM
random_guy92

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
Don Cherry will absolutely lambaste Grabovski for being a weak small euro where in which he will proceed to butcher his name every chance he gets.

My prediction is "grabsontoo"

"grabsontoo has no place centering a line with andropoff and pocohontas. Too many euro's on one line." Don Cherry - HNIC Season Opener

That's sig worthy.

Old
07-03-2008, 02:59 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
O's brother.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
That joke gets you a floating Oh Henry.

Old
07-03-2008, 03:06 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
I taught this kid in Timmins Ontario back in the 80's.

He may be on the professional downswing but, contrary to the mass majority of the posters and, specifically, the denigrators here in this community, he made the bigs for a few years.

He may not make the Canadiens team itself but he's still become part of my favourite team's depth... I'm glad.
Folks liked Alex here in London too. And you are correct, no matter what, he did play in the pros. There is nothing that says he can't do it again.

Old
07-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Man if Gainey could have somehow found a way to include Dandenault in this trade I would have liked it better.
There has to be a team who didn't reach the obligatory 40 million who could need his help.....I don't care if it's only for a 5th rounder....

Old
07-03-2008, 03:09 PM
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
He was like a younger, less skilled version of Samsonov but with a better shot. He could bloom on the Leafs who could have him surrounded by bigger linemates. He's a project player that has a high risk/reward quotient. Especially considering what they gave up for him.
No problem with us sticking him with big teammates, Antro and Pony. So bascailly we picked up a non fat wellwood.

Closed Thread