HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYR Sign Naslund and Kalinin

Old
07-03-2008, 05:03 PM
FutureGM97

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
so where is all the "We will be the lowest scoring team in the NHL" people?

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:05 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Fine with both signings (like Kalinin a lot).
so do I. I have a good feeling he will thrive on the third pairing.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:07 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Naslund?

:barf:

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
that would be me at the top of that list. I think were going to be a middle of the row offense, but an elite defensive team. i think weve improved.

Sather just teabagged me, and all his other doubters.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

You people who have a problem with two years for Naslund are funny. I can understand Redden's six being somewhat annoying, but two years for a winger who has been a trusted captain is fine with me. Sure, he's turning 35 but this guy has more than a few good years left in him IMO.

Would you really be comfortable turning the offense over to Zherdev, Gomez, and Drury and rookies like Cherepanov, Korpikoski, and Anisimov if Naslund was free to leave after this year? I don't think I would be. Two years gives those rookies at least a year to get experience without too much responsibility.

Does anything satisfy ya'll?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:10 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
that would be me at the top of that list. I think were going to be a middle of the row offense, but an elite defensive team. i think weve improved.

i think the rangers will be in the top third in scoring next year.....the pp will improve...the rangers will have legitimate second tier scoring most likely on 2-3 lines and they now have a puck-moving defenseman who can move the puck to the speedy forwards.....

i am looking forward to redden making a sweet breakout pass to zherdev who is breaking down the wing behind the defense to score a goal

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Cant wait to edit my nhl 08 nyr team!

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:12 PM
19nazzy

Team 1040 Vancouver says 2 years 8 million.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:12 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Kalinin is a good replacement for Toots, nice move. Makes it like Zherdev and Fritsche came for free.

Anyone got the dollars on either of these contracts?

If we've got the money left, I'd like to see Bertuzzi for the size and we'd be about done.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

imagine how much he could have gotten done if he hadn't wasted his time signing Voros and Riss.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:16 PM
NotAloneJustBlue

Bertuzzi? Good God! I am going straight to church to pray that that never even gets considered, even jokingly.

NotAloneJustBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:26 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
imagine how much he could have gotten done if he hadn't wasted his time signing Voros and Riss.
Seriously!

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
touche bro *highfive*

Old
07-03-2008, 05:34 PM
SpachoMan

Send a message via AIM to SpachoMan
Kalinin needed out of Buffalo as he's been the regular whipping boy for some time now. When you expect big things from him, he falters. But when he's under the radar, he impresses.

He may be big but he's not physical by any stretch of the imagination. He plays well in all situations and can approach dominance in the right conditions. He also tends to play poorly when injured, and he seems to be prone to injury for one reason or another.

As for the "mental marshmellow" stigma, I think it was exaggerated and perpetuated by the media, but that doesn't mean it has no merit. He doesn't respond well to "tough love" and Ruff was too stubborn to acknowledge that, which led to an obviously rocky relationship in recent years.

He's still a young guy despite being in the NHL for so long because he was such a highly rated prospect. I don't think he will ever ascend to be a top pairing guy but a #3-4 seems like a reasonable optimistic approach.

I hope he's a good fit in your club, he was one of my favorite Sabres and I'm sad to see him leave after spending his entire career with the Sabres.

SpachoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpachoMan View Post
Kalinin needed out of Buffalo as he's been the regular whipping boy for some time now. When you expect big things from him, he falters. But when he's under the radar, he impresses.

He may be big but he's not physical by any stretch of the imagination. He plays well in all situations and can approach dominance in the right conditions. He also tends to play poorly when injured, and he seems to be prone to injury for one reason or another.

As for the "mental marshmellow" stigma, I think it was exaggerated and perpetuated by the media, but that doesn't mean it has no merit. He doesn't respond well to "tough love" and Ruff was too stubborn to acknowledge that, which led to an obviously rocky relationship in recent years.

He's still a young guy despite being in the NHL for so long because he was such a highly rated prospect. I don't think he will ever ascend to be a top pairing guy but a #3-4 seems like a reasonable optimistic approach.

I hope he's a good fit in your club, he was one of my favorite Sabres and I'm sad to see him leave after spending his entire career with the Sabres.
hes going to love new york, where Renney gives every player a pacifier and a cuddly teddy bear before each season.

Old
07-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
Team 1040 Vancouver says 2 years 8 million.
TSN, too. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11...topRelated_nhl

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:42 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
The book on Kalinin:

He is actually pretty steady.....between absolutely awful game changing mistakes. Just when you think he's turning the corner, he's going to do something that'll make you get the noose and lynch him. He's that frustrating. Ruff was done coddling him last year and he spent most of the season in the dog house. I am suprised he signed with a team that has the defensive depth of the Rangers, my guess is he got an endorsement from Drury. He's a decent 5-6 guy, but I certainly wouldn't expect good things if he is pressed into top 4 duty.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:42 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Naslund at 4 mil / 2 years?

I would have rather had Jagr at that or a little more for 2 years.

i guess this means i won't get Vermette, huh? lol

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:43 PM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
can't say i'm happy w/ Naslund getting a two year deal but overall i am pretty satisfied.

I think we are basically done now. Our #6 dman will be between Pock, Potter and Sangs. Probably will be Potter and Pock be the 7 dman.

Our forward situation is rather tricky though. We do have an abundance now. It will be interesting to see if there is another trade to maybe upgrade a little.
That's what I'd try to do. I'd see about moving Prucha, Dawes, and someone else, and maybe get a guy who is a little more of a sure thing to turn into a top-6.

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
I like both of these signings. $4 mil per to Naslund is great in this market IMO.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:47 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post

i guess this means i won't get Vermette, huh? lol
Sure, I'd like Jagr for 2/8 as well. But with massive offers from Omsk, and his desire to be "the man", you think he'd go for that deal? Unlikely, IMO.

Old
07-03-2008, 05:49 PM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
I admit I was concerned about our scoring, but I only basically said in one of my posts "I'd like to get one more 20-30 goal scorer in here for our top line." Whether that was re-signing Jagr or getting someone new didn't matter that much to me.

I think this is going to be a good set up. Obviously the defense will be much improved, given Redden's signing, and Staal's improvement. And honestly, I feel better about Zherdev/Naslund than Jagr/Shanny/Straka. I think they are better fits with this team and I could see each of them punching in 30. Naslund is a classic PF that we needed and Zherdev is an offensive wonder.

Conversely, Shanahan was out of gas, Jagr had motivation problems, and Straka was only worth about 40 points and 14 goals.

What is going to be troubling isn't our regular season production. I'm not really worried about that at this point. I'm concerned because Jagr stepped up in the playoffs and was dominating.

I'm not sure we have a player who can do that now. Lundquist may have to carry us there, but he very well may be up to it.

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post

me too, but Jagr wouldn't

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Fletch

If this is it...

it's a pretty soft team. A top line of Zherdev-Gomez-Nasland is actually pretty appealing though, but again, what's the objective of this team- playoffs, improve on last season, or hang on until the last month and lose? We'll see what other moves are made. Naslund in and of itself isn't the worst at 2 years for $4MM per, but this team needs size up front (among its top six) and that does not seem to have been addressed yet.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:04 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it's a pretty soft team. A top line of Zherdev-Gomez-Nasland is actually pretty appealing though, but again, what's the objective of this team- playoffs, improve on last season, or hang on until the last month and lose? We'll see what other moves are made. Naslund in and of itself isn't the worst at 2 years for $4MM per, but this team needs size up front (among its top six) and that does not seem to have been addressed yet.
Still time though, Fletch. We've got a long way until the start of the season, and even then, once we start, should a glaring weakness emerge I think we have the chips to address it.