HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanahan

Old
07-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

vCash: 500
Shanahan

All right after the two moves by signing Naslund, and Kalinin. Do you think that we need to re-sign Shanny to gain some leadership? I think we should depending on Kalinin's contract.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:34 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I would say Sather has Shanny in the back pocket all along....

07-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Sam says the door is still open.

Quote:
Two other quick notes:The Rangers have an offer on the table for defenseman Paul Mara.Sather also said Brendan Shanahan returning for a third year in New York is still a possibility.
If he does resign, it's not for leadership. With Drury, Redden, Naslund, and Gomez we have plenty. If anything, it'll be to teach Cally, Dubi, and the other kids how to be forwards with a snarl.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:36 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Only if he agrees to play fourth line and PK, maybe some 2nd unit PP time. He's good in the room and a good influence on young kids.

I don't want to see him in the top six. He doesn't have it anymore.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post

If he does resign, it's not for leadership. With Drury, Redden, Naslund, and Gomez we have plenty. If anything, it'll be to teach Cally, Dubi, and the other kids how to be forwards with a snarl.
Good Find forechecker, i really like Shanny and i think he wont be used as much as people think he would, but he will still be important.

Old
07-03-2008, 04:40 PM
DontStepanMe

heavens no... Please no... i beg of you.... no more shanny... we have vets, and we need to keep bringing in our youth.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:45 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I am less worried about production and more worried about leadership right now. Yes I would sign him. Yes his role would be limited. But who knows, maybe his second half digression last year was in fact due to injuries and he can bounce back. Anything significant we get out of him on the ice would be a bonus in my opinion.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:54 PM
The Thomas J.*

If Shanny & Mara come back i'm fine with it. Slap the C on Shanny or Drury & be done with it.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:54 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
He's a good guy to have around, but we've got Drury and Naslund who have both been captains, as has Wade Redden (I think). I'm also expecting Staal to step up this year.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:55 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I am less worried about production and more worried about leadership right now. Yes I would sign him. Yes his role would be limited. But who knows, maybe his second half digression last year was in fact due to injuries and he can bounce back. Anything significant we get out of him on the ice would be a bonus in my opinion.
If he comes back, he needs to play on the 3rd line and the PP. No big minutes for him, and maybe he can last a whole season. Didn't Brind'amour do this a few years ago?

Old
07-03-2008, 05:06 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If he comes back, he needs to play on the 3rd line and the PP. No big minutes for him, and maybe he can last a whole season. Didn't Brind'amour do this a few years ago?
Not Brind'amour, but Bryan Trottier did it very effectively in Pittsburgh when the Penguins won their two Stanley Cups.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

If this organization is going to enter a "new era" let's do it without Shanahan. There's plenty of players with leadership experience on the roster right now. Players earn respect by leading on the ice and if you expect Shanahan to lead, then you better expect him to play too many minutes (and be less and less productive) because that's what Renney will do.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Not Brind'amour, but Bryan Trottier did it very effectively in Pittsburgh when the Penguins won their two Stanley Cups.
Yeah, it wasn't Brind'Amour. Someone like that did it recently though, came back and played 3rd/4th line minutes to help the team. Drawing a blank here, sorry.

Old
07-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
If Shanny & Mara come back i'm fine with it. Slap the C on Shanny or Drury & be done with it.
i can see shanny coming back, but how would they fit in Mara's contract?

Old
07-03-2008, 05:30 PM
NYRSinceBirth

I don't get the whole writing off Shanny crap. OK, he's not what he used to be, no ****. He can still score, Play PK, and he can teach endless amounts to the youngsters. Have you seen his shot? or how he whole career he wasn't a great skater but ALWAYS made the right plays/in the right position? That's things I want the youngsters learning. I say one year, with 3rd line duties. Brendan Shanahan is never a 4th liner, never.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:04 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post

Teaching kind of falls under the blanket term leadership.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:06 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
i can see shanny coming back, but how would they fit in Mara's contract?
He doesnt have a contract. You can bet his next one will be thrifty

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
He doesnt have a contract. You can bet his next one will be thrifty
no i meant if we only have about 3.3 left Mara would likely cost 2 and Shanny about 2-2.5

Old
07-03-2008, 07:24 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

love shanny..time to move on

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:26 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If he doesn't want a lot, bring him back, but only if he plays on the bottom two lines at ES. He's more of a 3rd/4th line guy who can excel at special teams and help lead and teach. He has a great attitude too, so as long as he's willing to take a reduced role, you know there won't be any problems from him.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
If this organization is going to enter a "new era" let's do it without Shanahan. There's plenty of players with leadership experience on the roster right now. Players earn respect by leading on the ice and if you expect Shanahan to lead, then you better expect him to play too many minutes (and be less and less productive) because that's what Renney will do.
I don't think leadership equates to prime icetime.

If Shanny is willing to come back as a third liner at a reasonable price, I'm okay with it.

They key is expectations. He's going to fail if people (the Rangers included) expect top six offense and 18 minutes a night.

But this is a team, that has leadership, but also has a lot of young kids in situations that aren't a given.

If Renney can't get Shanny's icetime right than it's a moot point because it means the rest of the team isn't being coached properly either and we aren't winning games.

If Shanny comes back cheap and can chip in 10-15 goals on the bottom two lines, I'll be happy.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

No. On every possible level I say no.

... just no.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Edge

To me no one has really shown me what would be so bad about him as a third line player?

If you blame it on the coach giving him too much time, than that's a coaching issue and we have a problem with or without Shanny.

If you blame it on a lack of offense, than you're going against the idea of having him as bottom-six player in the first place.

So at the right price and in the right role, what exactly is the problem?

Old
07-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
To me no one has really shown me what would be so bad about him as a third line player?

If you blame it on the coach giving him too much time, than that's a coaching issue and we have a problem with or without Shanny.

If you blame it on a lack of offense, than you're going against the idea of having him as bottom-six player in the first place.

So at the right price and in the right role, what exactly is the problem?
If we're moving towards a fast team with a serious transition game (which seems to be the case), what is the point of bringing back a guy who was consistently the slowest player on the ice night after night? Is reducing his playing time by 4 or 5 minutes a game really going to give him the recovery time to keep up with the pace of play?

We have a TON of depth guys who are waiting to break into the lineup, are we going to keep them down for another year just so Shanny can come back and shoot pucks into the chest of the goalie from the slot?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Edge

Quote:
If we're moving towards a fast team with a serious transition game (which seems to be the case), what is the point of bringing back a guy who was consistently the slowest player on the ice night after night? Is reducing his playing time by 4 or 5 minutes a game really going to give him the recovery time to keep up with the pace of play?
But again, you're talking about him as a scoring forward, not a guy who plays more of a two-way game. Additionally, the third line is going out there and trying out run the other team, they are trying to outsmart them and play a defensive role while chipping in offense where they can. In that role (just like the PK) Shanny would look just fine.

Quote:
We have a TON of depth guys who are waiting to break into the lineup, are we going to keep them down for another year just so Shanny can come back and shoot pucks into the chest of the goalie from the slot?

Do we have a ton who are ready? I'm curious as to who is counted amongst this ton? Korpikoski and Moore could break in on the third line, but who else do you have planned exactly? Byers might make it, but he is likely more of a challange to Ryan Hollweg. So who am I missing from this equation? We have guys who will challange for a spot and I expect at least one to make it. We can't have too many young guys occupying the bottom spots.