HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYR Sign Naslund and Kalinin

Old
07-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
The book on Kalinin:

He is actually pretty steady.....between absolutely awful game changing mistakes. Just when you think he's turning the corner, he's going to do something that'll make you get the noose and lynch him. He's that frustrating. Ruff was done coddling him last year and he spent most of the season in the dog house. I am suprised he signed with a team that has the defensive depth of the Rangers, my guess is he got an endorsement from Drury. He's a decent 5-6 guy, but I certainly wouldn't expect good things if he is pressed into top 4 duty.
Exactly what we need. Here's more on K: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/p...mitri_Kalinin/

Quote:
Assets

Plays a smooth, poised style and also displays solid hitting skills. Has savvy offensive acumen. Can be used in all situations and log a ton of ice time.

Flaws

Isn't considered a power-play quarterback. Doesn't punish people in the Scott Stevens-Derian Hatcher mold. Is prone to getting hurt.

Career potential

Top four defenseman.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it's a pretty soft team. A top line of Zherdev-Gomez-Nasland is actually pretty appealing though, but again, what's the objective of this team- playoffs, improve on last season, or hang on until the last month and lose? We'll see what other moves are made. Naslund in and of itself isn't the worst at 2 years for $4MM per, but this team needs size up front (among its top six) and that does not seem to have been addressed yet.
I don't know, Fletch. We weren't exactly the toughest team before. Losing Avery and Mara hurts us in that department, but we've gained Voros and Rissmiller.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Mellifleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Kalinin any good? He's pretty big and yet another Russian.

This team is gonna be loaded with Russians, North Americans, and Swedes.
If you guys can get anything out of Kalinin more power to you. He has a tremendous upside that materialized for 1 season here in Buffalo.

When on his game: He skates well and has good offensive instincts. I remember seeing him make a play that made him look like he was a top flight forward with his puck handling display wrapped up by a nice wrist shot. He is not a physical guy in spite of his size but does occassionaly unload a nice hit. He is can be above average in his own end.

When off his game: Well it's ugly... bad giveaways, no offensive output and just generally lackadaisical play.

Historically he hasn't responded well to being called out in an effort to get him to improve his play. Honestly I don't know that this is a good signing, it depends on which Kalinin shows up, the terrible one, the ok one or the one we saw about 8 years ago for that one season that made us think he was our franchise d-man.

Good luck with him....

Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Fletch

Sarge...

when I talk about toughness, I'm talking about top six forwards and top four defensemen. Balance, to me, isn't having skill on the top two lines and grit on the bottom two. Balance is having a guy that can score 25 goals and grind it out.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:12 PM
SickNice

Quote:
when I talk about toughness, I'm talking about top six forwards and top four defensemen. Balance, to me, isn't having skill on the top two lines and grit on the bottom two. Balance is having a guy that can score 25 goals and grind it out.
Agreed, Fletch. However, those guys are increasingly difficult to find. What players outside of Malone were available that fufill that role?

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:30 PM
BlueHavok

i think the rangers aren't done yet......

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Beckeramos

Rotoworld is saying it is a 3 year $18mil deal for Naslund. I think that's a misprint though cause they are using TSN as a source and we know they are reporting 2 years.

Beckeramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:43 PM
19nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckeramos View Post
Rotoworld is saying it is a 3 year $18mil deal for Naslund. I think that's a misprint though cause they are using TSN as a source and we know they are reporting 2 years.
That was Naslund's old deal.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Beckeramos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
That was Naslund's old deal.
Oh ok. Thanx man.

Beckeramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:48 PM
19nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckeramos View Post
Oh ok. Thanx man.
No problem, they probably just haven't updated it yet.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:49 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Why don't we know what Kalinin got? its been hrs...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Why don't we know what Kalinin got? its been hrs...
i thought i read somewhere 1 year 2 mil...though i could be wrong. its been a loooong day so far.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i thought i read somewhere 1 year 2 mil...though i could be wrong. its been a loooong day so far.
thats a good deal, that means we got 3 mil to spend for the kids (dawes, fritsche, and sjostrom)

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:05 PM
True Blue

Quote:
it's a pretty soft team. A top line of Zherdev-Gomez-Nasland is actually pretty appealing though, but again, what's the objective of this team- playoffs, improve on last season, or hang on until the last month and lose? We'll see what other moves are made. Naslund in and of itself isn't the worst at 2 years for $4MM per, but this team needs size up front (among its top six) and that does not seem to have been addressed yet.
I would tend to agree with this. We said last year that the playoffs showed that the Rangers lacked two crucial things: size and attitude. Well, the team got younger and faster and has more skilled players. They seem to have less size and much less attitude. The top two lines are going to be fast and skilled. However, they will lack size and while gritty, not a physically challenging tandem. The defense, while possessing good skaters and also possessing skill, will be an overall one. The bottom two lines should be fiesty and will play a physical games, but they will be recieving the least amount of playing time.
The team appears to be softer than last year's.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:06 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickNice View Post
Agreed, Fletch. However, those guys are increasingly difficult to find. What players outside of Malone were available that fufill that role?
Avery was certainly one.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Fletch

Sick...

availability is an issue - but when you're trading Tyutin, options open up.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:15 PM
TheZherdev

Our 2nd line still looks week. If only we could get cherepanov over. dammit

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:15 PM
broadwayblue

Guys, please tell me I shouldn't be upset about the fact that we just signed Naslund, a soft, perimeter player who is way past his prime...and to a 2 year deal no less.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Edge

I think both moves are solid moves.

I think Naslund will be better than last years numbers, especially with a legit playmaker and maybe some young wheels to keep up with him (Zherdev).

The money and contract isn't unreasonable at all really. The people I talked to earlier said enough to have me come away with two interesting ideas.

This signing was apparently seen as key after acquiring Zherdev and Jagr's "the man" comments were apparently also a factor in the thought process as well. The general feeling was that with or without Jagr this was not going to be "his" team per say and those recent comments kind of cemented the position to go in a different direction.

I think they're going for a balanced scoring approach and are looking for guys to fit that system. They know they're not going to match some of the top lines out there, but if they can roll 4 solid lines they'll be successful. They don't expect, nor did they pay Naslund to be a 45 goal, 100 point scorer at this point. However, if he can give them 25-30 goals and 60-70 points they'll be happy.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:23 PM
shoothepuck

I don't like the 2 years

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Kiefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Guys, please tell me I shouldn't be upset about the fact that we just signed Naslund, a soft, perimeter player who is way past his prime...and to a 2 year deal no less.
Give him a chance at least before judging him. It sounds like you have read to many threads on Canucks forum, the Nazzy hate there is ridiculous sometimes.

He has scored less the last two seasons, but he also shot less. That doesn't mean that he is declining, it only means that he took a more defensive role...and bad linemates maybe.

http://rangers.nhl.tv/team/launch.ht...0&event=VAN304

Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:28 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
I don't like the 2 years
I guess we can always deal him for a 2nd round pick at the deadline if we're out of the playoff race.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefer View Post
Give him a chance at least before judging him. It sounds like you have read to many threads on Canucks forum, the Nazzy hate there is ridiculous sometimes.

He has scored less the last two seasons, but he also shot less. That doesn't mean that he is declining, it only means that he took a more defensive role...and bad linemates maybe.

http://rangers.nhl.tv/team/launch.ht...0&event=VAN304
wasnt he also playing out of position and playing with two scrubs when he did play LW

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:30 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think both moves are solid moves.

I think Naslund will be better than last years numbers, especially with a legit playmaker and maybe some young wheels to keep up with him (Zherdev).

The money and contract isn't unreasonable at all really. The people I talked to earlier said enough to have me come away with two interesting ideas.

This signing was apparently seen as key after acquiring Zherdev and Jagr's "the man" comments were apparently also a factor in the thought process as well. The general feeling was that with or without Jagr this was not going to be "his" team per say and those recent comments kind of cemented the position to go in a different direction.

I think they're going for a balanced scoring approach and are looking for guys to fit that system. They know they're not going to match some of the top lines out there, but if they can roll 4 solid lines they'll be successful. They don't expect, nor did they pay Naslund to be a 45 goal, 100 point scorer at this point. However, if he can give them 25-30 goals and 60-70 points they'll be happy.
Which is exactly how I see these moves. Naslund gives you a bridge to when Cherepanov is ready. You also don't have to run a PP through him, nor will you have scoring opportunities passed up because he's on the ice. They've greatly improved the D. And, now they want forwards quick in transition, and D-men who can make a good first pass to start that transition.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Kiefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
wasnt he also playing out of position and playing with two scrubs when he did play LW
Out of position (RW) with Sedins, and scrubs when on LW.

Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote