HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Ultimate Backstab

Old
07-03-2008, 11:03 AM
budleydudley

vCash: 500
For crissakes this topic is stupid.

budleydudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Marian Hossa just finished a losing trip to the SCF with the Pittsburgh Penguins, then upon conclusion of the season immediately signed with the team they lost to (Detroit). I can't imagine how a guy can put in that much blood, sweat, and tears against another team at the ultimate stage and then proceed to desert his teammates and sign with the enemy. I can't think of any other examples of this in hockey, or any sport for that matter. I personally think he had his mind made up when he put up a hattrick against them in his best effort of the season with Atlanta, so it was just coincidence that he wound up playing them in the Finals, but either way that's certainly an interesting choice of teams to sign for given the circumstance.

A professional athelete leaving his team for more money?

Geez. What is the world coming too?

Who would have thunk this could happen?

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Reacher Gilt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
A professional athelete leaving his team for more money?

Geez. What is the world coming too?

Who would have thunk this could happen?
the problem is it wasn't the money

Reacher Gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:12 PM
I Hate You All*

Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
Paul Kariya was a backstabber. He said "Next year. Same Place. Different Results," after losing to the Devils.He was offered like, 10 million by the Ducks...and then signed with Colorado for like 3 mil or whatever. ****ing **** *********.
ha ha. Forgot about that. Yeah, Kariya is a *****.

I Hate You All* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 03:26 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Jeez,

I think this thread is going in the wrong direction... I did not call it "The Ultimate Backstab" because Hossa meant anything to Pens fans, I am trying to draw attention the scenario:

Player A plays for Team A,
Team A loses to Team B in the Finals,
Player A signs with Team B in the offseason.

Kind of the old "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" scenario. Still interested if anyone else can think of any other examples.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Well, we have a major difference of opinion right there. It may be all fun and games for fans. It's a profession for players. One most love, but a job nonetheless.

Find me one Pens player who says the same thing as you...And I'll agree. No doubt that teammates form a unique bond. But they also realize at this level that come the summer, it is strictly business. So my analogy applies. If you ever leave your job, you are "betraying" your colleagues, based on this standard.

Bottom line: Who are we to pass judgement on another person's career decisions?

I respect your opinion, too. Just disagree. No big deal.
Well, there have been rumors on radio stations and in our newspaper blogs that the a few players were not happy. But I understand your opinion and I know it is a business.

But it is still a slap in the face to the Penguins.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Lyons71

Quote:
Jeez,

I think this thread is going in the wrong direction... I did not call it "The Ultimate Backstab" because Hossa meant anything to Pens fans, I am trying to draw attention the scenario:

Player A plays for Team A,
Team A loses to Team B in the Finals,
Player A signs with Team B in the offseason.

Kind of the old "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" scenario. Still interested if anyone else can think of any other examples.
The ducks were almost single handedly beaten by Pronger, so then got him for the next season. [shrug]

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:48 PM
JTG

I just think Pens fans are a little hurt because he could have got a similar contract for 7 years with the Pens. Alot of Pens fans got their hopes up when he came out in the press and said he would take less money to stay with a contender. Because no one thought he would sign for 1 year, Detroit was out of the mix due to the guys they have to sign in the coming season. Who was more of a contender than Pittsburgh?

I personally like the cap flexibility without him, but it will be pretty hard to replace a player as complete as Hossa is. That being said, he fits Detroit's system like a glove and he is probably right to admitt that they are his best chance at winning a Cup.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark144 View Post
Life is unfair. Regularly.

I heard Shero on XM today. Without a hint of insincerity, he said he wished Hossa the best. Said the Pens got what they needed out of him, likewise, he got what he needed out of them.

End of story.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Generic Username*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBdrewgANS View Post
his team? he's only been here since the trade deadline.. the only emotional attachment involving him were the fans.. but for him Karma is around the corner
3 words: Sign and trade. He's paid his dues.

Hossa can do whatever he wants. You're just being a bitter Pens fan.

Generic Username* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Montreal Typical
Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPenalty View Post
Hossa turned down 5-6 years of a good chance to win the cup for only 1 year of a better chance to win the cup. Statistically it was pretty stupid on his part.
He turned down 5-6 years of a possible chance for 1 year of a much, much better chance. Right now, on paper anyway, no team comes even remotely close to Detroit. He has a much better of winning the Cup with Detroit this season than of winning the Cup with the Penguins in the next 6 years. I'm sorry, but that's the cold hard truth. Doesn't mean he'll win it though and the Penguins could very well hoist Lord Stanley's Cup by the end of the playoffs.

Detroit was already significantly better than all other teams last season and not only didn't lose any core player but also added yet another superstar to their lineup. A superstar forward that brings not only great offense, but also really good defense (in other words, a player who should fit in very well with their system).

No team has improved nearly enough to challenge the 2007-08 Red Wings team and the 2008-09 Red Wings are even better.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:18 PM
txpd

Quote:
Marian Hossa just finished a losing trip to the SCF with the Pittsburgh Penguins, then upon conclusion of the season immediately signed with the team they lost to (Detroit). I can't imagine how a guy can put in that much blood, sweat, and tears against another team at the ultimate stage and then proceed to desert his teammates and sign with the enemy.
You are acting like Hossa is a ten year veteran of the Pittsburgh organEYEzation rather than a trade deadline rental that was there for a few games and the playoffs.

He owed Pittsburgh nothing and it was not his choice to even be there. Detroit. That was his choice.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:20 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark144 View Post
Ummm...yea, and? It happens all the time. Players reject team's offers all the time.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:24 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
he was a rental
every other team in the league knew that

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by budleydudley View Post
For crissakes this topic is stupid.
I'm surprised it hasn't been locked yet.