HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYR Sign Naslund and Kalinin

Old
07-03-2008, 07:32 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefer View Post
Give him a chance at least before judging him. It sounds like you have read to many threads on Canucks forum, the Nazzy hate there is ridiculous sometimes.

He has scored less the last two seasons, but he also shot less. That doesn't mean that he is declining, it only means that he took a more defensive role...and bad linemates maybe.

http://rangers.nhl.tv/team/launch.ht...0&event=VAN304
Actually I haven't read one thread about him on the Canucks forum. I just wonder why we think a guy who's stats have been declining for years is the answer. Plus, he's more of a perimeter guy (unless I'm mistaken) and I just don't see how that helps us either. This team is already one of the weakest around...so why do we go for an aging soft perimeter guy??? I hope you're right about him playing a more defensive game.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:34 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Some more Naslund quotes from game on:
http://blogs.msg.com/gameon/new_york_rangers/index.html

Quote:
"We're going to play an upbeat style of hockey," says Sather. "We were disappointed in our playoff loss to Pittsburgh." The new, improved style promised by the high command tickles Naslund's fancy.

"I like the direction the Rangers are going," says Naslund. "And I'm looking forward to playing the kind of game that made Detroit the Stanley Cup Champions."
Quote:
"I can't say how happy I am to be in New York," says Naslund. "Other Rangers such as Mark Messier and Brian Noonan told me how special this city is."

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:35 PM
BearChi

does that mean jj isnt coming back

BearChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:36 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames14 View Post
I'm pretty sure it means the JJ era is over.

Old
07-03-2008, 07:39 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames14 View Post
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/
This says it all

Quote:
“We decided we were going to move on,” Sather said. “Jagr was very respectful when I told him … We talked about his time here and he thanked me and I thanked him. It was a very cordial parting. You just can’t wait forever on these things.”

Sather said that negotiations with Jagr never got off the ground.

Old
07-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Actually I haven't read one thread about him on the Canucks forum. I just wonder why we think a guy who's stats have been declining for years is the answer. Plus, he's more of a perimeter guy (unless I'm mistaken) and I just don't see how that helps us either. This team is already one of the weakest around...so why do we go for an aging soft perimeter guy??? I hope you're right about him playing a more defensive game.
He isn't being asked nor paid to be a 50 goal, 100 point player. He's being asked to pump in 25-30 goals and bring experience to a line that is likely to feature Gomez and Zherdev.

With Gomez's playmaking ability, the first line is in pretty good shape if they can get 50-60 goals out of two wingers.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
Our 2nd line still looks week. If only we could get cherepanov over. dammit
I have to agree here.

Naslund - Gomez - Zherdev looks nice, but following that up with Dawes - Drury - Prucha/Fritsche/Whatever doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

I'm also curious what Sather is planning on doing with all of these extra depth players. Is there room for guys like Rissmiller in Hartford? Or is Slats planning on making another move to free up more salary space? If Korpikoski is brought up, and our top-six is Zherdev, Gomez, Naslund, Dawes, Drury and Prucha, that leaves one hell of a log-jam for the bottom six.

Korpikoski, Callahan, Dubi, Fritsche, Sjostrom, Betts, Orr, Voros, Rissmiller and probably Byers as well. Thats 10 guys for 6 spots and that leaves me confused.

I just have a sneaking feeling that Bertuzzi could still be in play for us.

Naslund - Gomez - Bertuzzi
Dawes - Drury - Zherdev

That inspires a little more confidence in our scoring depth for me, even though I'm not a huge Bertuzzi fan.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:47 PM
xander

I have to say that this is the offseason move that I'm most critical of. I preffer the two moves that pittsburgh made today, finding two capable shooters on 1 year contracts. I just don't think Naslund replaces Jagr's production enough to justify giving him a second year. It's not the end of the world, but I don't think this move was the best that the organization could have made.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:54 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Money Money Money Money Moneeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyy.

Some may cost a little...

Some may cost a lot...

But the Million dollar man... Always gets his guy.

Except when his name is Jagr.

Does anyone have that video on youtube from last year where we signed Gomez and Drury and its set to the Million Dollar Man Theme?

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Draft Guru

I would not be opposed to bringing in Bertuzzi on a 1 year, 2 million deal to reunite him with Naslund. If it works out great, if it doesn't, we let him walk at the end of the year.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:57 PM
2Leetch_94

I don't think the Rangers were trying to replace Jagr's production with just one signing. It's more of a team effort. We can't depend on Jagr every game, anymore. It'll allow Gomez and Drury to take full control and for everyone else to have to think for themselves without trying to forcefeed Jagr the puck. Will it work? Guess we'll find out but the Jagr era was going to end eventually. Naslund at 2/8 isn't really a bad deal when considering other deals signed since Tuesday.

2Leetch_94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I have to agree here.

Naslund - Gomez - Zherdev looks nice, but following that up with Dawes - Drury - Prucha/Fritsche/Whatever doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

I'm also curious what Sather is planning on doing with all of these extra depth players. Is there room for guys like Rissmiller in Hartford? Or is Slats planning on making another move to free up more salary space? If Korpikoski is brought up, and our top-six is Zherdev, Gomez, Naslund, Dawes, Drury and Prucha, that leaves one hell of a log-jam for the bottom six.

Korpikoski, Callahan, Dubi, Fritsche, Sjostrom, Betts, Orr, Voros, Rissmiller and probably Byers as well. Thats 10 guys for 6 spots and that leaves me confused.

I just have a sneaking feeling that Bertuzzi could still be in play for us.

Naslund - Gomez - Bertuzzi
Dawes - Drury - Zherdev

That inspires a little more confidence in our scoring depth for me, even though I'm not a huge Bertuzzi fan.
I'd rather have Gomez playing with Z. like

Nazzy-Dru-Bert
Dawes-Gomez-Z

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:01 PM
mschmidt64

Quote:
I have to agree here.

Second line should be

Drury -- Dubinski -- Dawes

Not bad considering Dubinksi was your top line center with Jagr the previous year. He'll be alright in that role. If you're not scoring enough you can swing a trade midseason to get another #2 winger and replace Dawes there. Value's often cheaper at the trade deadline.

That line is good enough to get you through the year though.

Quote:
Byers probably doesn't come up right away. As far as Orr, Voros, and Rissmiller, they can all play in Hartford. Korpi, Cally, Fritsche, Dubi (or Prucha, as I have them swapped from your analysis), Prucha, Sjostrom, and Betts can be your bottom 6.

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Edge

I don't think the Rangers went in with the plan that Naslund replaces Jagr. I think we really need to take that idea, burn it and just forget about it.

I think the Rangers went with a plan that provides Gomez with two capable wingers for the same price was one.

If they get 50 or 60 goals out of Naslund and Zherdev, they'll get more than Jagr's 30 or 35 (max) at this point. They also won't have play musical chairs on the left side trying to find someone who can play with Jagr.

They simply said "Moving forward we need to find guys who can play with our 28 and 31 year old centers, not readjust the whole team to find guys who can play with our 36-year old winger."

It's just a different approach really, not swapping one for the other. It's figuring out WHO you want to build with (in this case Drury and Gomez) and trying to get more than one option to play with them.

Old
07-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
I'd rather have Gomez playing with Z. like

Nazzy-Dru-Bert
Dawes-Gomez-Z
Well I think Naslund and Bertuzzi would need a true playmaker as their center. Zherdev and Dawes are capable of generating offense on their own though.

Frankly either one doesn't make a difference to me, I just want to see the scoring spread out a little bit.

Old
07-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Well I think Naslund and Bertuzzi would need a true playmaker as their center. Zherdev and Dawes are capable of generating offense on their own though.

Frankly either one doesn't make a difference to me, I just want to see the scoring spread out a little bit.
agreed to the fullest extent

Old
07-03-2008, 08:13 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpachoMan View Post
Kalinin needed out of Buffalo as he's been the regular whipping boy for some time now.
This answers the question of who the boobirds at MSG will be focusing on with the departure of Malik.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:22 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
Money Money Money Money Moneeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyy.

Some may cost a little...

Some may cost a lot...

But the Million dollar man... Always gets his guy.

Except when his name is Jagr.

Does anyone have that video on youtube from last year where we signed Gomez and Drury and its set to the Million Dollar Man Theme?
Thank you, I just spent the last twenty minutes watching Million Dollar Man videos on YouTube

Old
07-03-2008, 08:39 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromAnisimov2Zherdev View Post
Who wears 19 now? I'm guessing Gomer will keep it.
Näslund has been 91 with Tre Kronor, think he'll take it here too.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:41 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
He isn't being asked nor paid to be a 50 goal, 100 point player. He's being asked to pump in 25-30 goals and bring experience to a line that is likely to feature Gomez and Zherdev.

With Gomez's playmaking ability, the first line is in pretty good shape if they can get 50-60 goals out of two wingers.
Fair enough. I have nothing against Naslund...actually like him as a player, and think he'll be a good team guy. I just wonder about our team size/strength.

Old
07-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Fair enough. I have nothing against Naslund...actually like him as a player, and think he'll be a good team guy. I just wonder about our team size/strength.
i still think Sather is going to trade prucha for a prospect/pick and sign Bertuzzi to add much needed toughness

Old
07-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Edge

Quote:
And that is a legit concern, but we can't not do anything just because we can't find a guy who fills that need.

The option was to essentially either trade for and then overpay for Malone or ship a ton of assets to acquire a guy that every team in the league would bid on if he were available.

I'd love to have more size and strength, but if it's not available than there's not much we can do about it.

Old
07-03-2008, 09:08 PM
HNJB*

When kalinin is on (very rare) he can be the best dman on any time. Almost all of the time he is BRUTAL. The night Regier announced Kalinin wasnt coming back, there was actually parties in Buffalo. MAybe youll be lucky, but this guy has no passion and can be the most frustrating guy in the league. Good luck, hope it works out.

As a sabre fan, im thrilled he stayed in the EC. Should get us 4 or 5 goals this year.

HNJB* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:10 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Take it for what it's worth here...

One of my friends on another forum (a general forum, music, sports, etc.) lives in Vancouver and is a huge Canucks fan. His father works with a trainer in the Canucks organization and was told that Naslund's knee was bothering him all year last year, but couldn't take time off because they were in the playoff race the whole year.

As I said, take it for what it's worth. Don't see any reason for the dude to lie to me since he's always been up front about everything on the boards.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I have to think that Slats notices the size thing as well. Bertuzzi must be in the back of his mind, or perhaps moving players for a guy like Bernier.

Hell, maybe he'll pull another ridiculous trade out of thin air and land a guy like Horton from Florida (who clearly has a habit of giving players away for nothing )