HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's articles like this that get my blood boiling ...

Old
07-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

vCash: 500
It's articles like this that get my blood boiling ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3472902

Quote:
4. Florida Panthers, NHL

Principal owner Alan Cohen has a long and attractive lease at BankAtlantic Center. But at some point, won't he get tired of owning the worst-run team in the NHL in the league's worst market? The Panthers regularly have fewer than 10,000 real human bodies in attendance for games, haven't made the playoffs since 2000 and have won more than one playoff round only once in their history. The real question is whether anyone would notice if the Panthers were gone.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:05 PM
bladoww
Team of the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
You know, I don't care too much for your team but these articles burn me the **** up too.

Piss off ESPN - stick to polishing Tiger's balls (and his golf balls too ).

bladoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:05 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Who cares, it's ESPN? Those idiots don't know anything about hockey.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Nobody really has an accurate pulse on this team outside of South Florida, except for a select few. Nothing we can really do about that......but laugh at them for being so ignorant.

Dread Clawz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:51 PM
39ontheline

Quote:
Oh please let me know which part of the article was inaccurate???

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:52 PM
VirtualSpree

The real question is would anyone notice if espn stopped writing about hockey?

VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Danny Tanner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39ontheline View Post

show me one game that we had under 10,000 fans. One. i'm a season ticket holder and there's never been a game where we've had fewer than 10,000 fans. announced attendance or not - there's more than 10,000 fans in the stands.

the only part true about the article is cohen having a long and attractive lease and being the worst run organization in the sport....but they're the worst run organization because of his blunders. moving the team anywhere won't cure that, so how does that equal relocation?

Danny Tanner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:48 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Read my thread, it must be Florida Panther bashing season

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:07 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Tanner View Post
show me one game that we had under 10,000 fans. One. i'm a season ticket holder and there's never been a game where we've had fewer than 10,000 fans. announced attendance or not - there's more than 10,000 fans in the stands.

the only part true about the article is cohen having a long and attractive lease and being the worst run organization in the sport....but they're the worst run organization because of his blunders. moving the team anywhere won't cure that, so how does that equal relocation?

sad but true. if they were paying attention, they'd realize that just about every move we've made over the past 2 years has been well received by hockey gurus and (most of) us fans alike. worst run? yeah, cohen's handled the PR side of things poorly and that clown yormark pimps everything he can get his hands on and, sure, the game presentations are a !@#$!@# circus but in terms of hockey operations, things have been looking up the past couple of years.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:23 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Worst run? It's in the running, sure. There are other teams out there such as Chicago and Toronto.

So far as being a team that could be "gone?" Clown should have at least done his homework. Team isn't going anywhere for at least the next 20 years. Hopefully someone else buys the team, or Cohen shows some patience with a re-build and/or a GM.

07-04-2008, 03:17 AM
39ontheline

Quote:

I can think of several games I was at last year that had way under 10,000. I dont care about "announced attendance" I remember one game (the halloween game I believe) being very empty last year and not even close to 10k. I also know there were a few more also, as for citing attendance specifics, I know there were more empty games than sellouts last year. Good thing they screw season ticket holders by giving away free tickets to almost every game. I was a season ticket holder for 10 years and thankfully ended that trainwreck the year Luongo was traded (as I promised our rep I would not be re-newing if Roberto was gone). Ive gone to many many MANY games since then and havent paid a cent. Real nice org.......

Old
07-04-2008, 03:27 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
I can think of several games I was at last year that had way under 10,000. I dont care about "announced attendance" I remember one game (the halloween game I believe) being very empty last year and not even close to 10k. I also know there were a few more also, as for citing attendance specifics, I know there were more empty games than sellouts last year. Good thing they screw season ticket holders by giving away free tickets to almost every game. I was a season ticket holder for 10 years and thankfully ended that trainwreck the year Luongo was traded (as I promised our rep I would not be re-newing if Roberto was gone). Ive gone to many many MANY games since then and havent paid a cent. Real nice org.......
So, wait a minute, you're going to start knocking the organization for something you use?

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Madhatter73

Quote:
There have been slow games, but we all know, if the team starts to win, that building will fill.... quickly...

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:02 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
So far as being a team that could be "gone?" Clown should have at least done his homework. Team isn't going anywhere for at least the next 20 years. Hopefully someone else buys the team, or Cohen shows some patience with a re-build and/or a GM.
For Supersonics it cost $45 million to break the lease and again, have anybody been able to find actual leasedocument, maybe it can be found in Broward County's web page.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:15 PM
HardHitHorton

Just because they cover hardly any hockey doesn't mean they don't know anything about it. I think they are correct.

HardHitHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:28 PM
HardHitHorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Worst run? It's in the running, sure. There are other teams out there such as Chicago and Toronto.

Well, I'd much rather be in Chicago's situation with Toews, Kane, Huet, Barker, etc. Toronto may be up there with the Panthers as the worst run franchise in the NHL. Where the Panthers are ahead of the Maple Leafs are they don't make as dumb of signings and are not tied up in signings for millions of dollars. But at least their owner cares and tries to put out a good product and invests in his team. The Panthers can't do that because they aren't willing to spend. At least Toronto will have someone that knows how to run an organization when Brian Burke comes in next season though.

HardHitHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Danny Tanner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
For Supersonics it cost $45 million to break the lease and again, have anybody been able to find actual leasedocument, maybe it can be found in Broward County's web page.

JOL
it was $75 million - and their lease was only for what? 2-3 more years? i'm assuming it'll cost substantially more to break a 20 year lease....

Old
07-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Danny Tanner*

Quote:
halloween game...i believe that's the game stillman banked the puck off vokoun from behind the net with about a minute left? yep - wasn't under 10k. you're either blind or naive if you think it was. the building holds about 20,000 - meaning it would have to be half-empty for it to be under 10. it was empty comparative to a "normal game" - but it wasn't half empty. 11,000? maybe. 12,000? maybe.

and as far as you not renewing....whatever, i've seen plenty bandwagoners come and go through the years....if they start competing again, you'll be back.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Danny Tanner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardHitHorton View Post
Well, I'd much rather be in Chicago's situation with Toews, Kane, Huet, Barker, etc. Toronto may be up there with the Panthers as the worst run franchise in the NHL. Where the Panthers are ahead of the Maple Leafs are they don't make as dumb of signings and are not tied up in signings for millions of dollars. But at least their owner cares and tries to put out a good product and invests in his team. The Panthers can't do that because they aren't willing to spend. At least Toronto will have someone that knows how to run an organization when Brian Burke comes in next season though.
"worst run" doesn't always mean personnel moves. the hawks, for years, didn't televise home games which alienated their fan base. a once proud hockey city was drawing under 10,000 consistently because wirtz was a total clown.

Old
07-04-2008, 03:02 PM
zeroG

Quote:
troll much?

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

And if you want to talk about attendance figures, there are several other franchises that are drawing many fewer physical bodies than the Cats ..

I've been to several Coyote games and most of the time, there are whole sections that have no one in them. Carolina has some pretty serious attendance issues as well and New Jersey doesn't even draw for playoff games a lot of the time..

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Danny Tanner*

Quote:
And if you want to talk about attendance figures, there are several other franchises that are drawing many fewer physical bodies than the Cats ..

I've been to several Coyote games and most of the time, there are whole sections that have no one in them. Carolina has some pretty serious attendance issues as well and New Jersey doesn't even draw for playoff games a lot of the time..
early this year the caps (pre-boudreau) had empty sections...in the lower bowl!

one season later their place is packed with a "red out" and a ridiculous atmosphere...why? they won hockey games. it's a pretty simple formula, really.

our situation is much better than washington's was before their success....or tampa's....or carolina's....we'll be fine if they put a decent team on the ice who can build some excitement down here.

Old
07-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Booth10

Quote:

Toronto takes in $75 million more a year than the Panthers according to Forbes and they spent $1 million more in player salaries last year.
This year, after Bouwmeester is signed, the will be spending $2 million more than the Panthers.

Pheonix, Atlanta, Los Angeles, etc, are $12 million below both of them.

Even though the Panthers are one of the lowest revenue teams in the league.

Last year the Panthers were $2 million below the Cap and it looks like they will increase salaries again to over $50 million. They were at $22 million a few years ago.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 05:15 PM
39ontheline

Quote:
halloween game...i believe that's the game stillman banked the puck off vokoun from behind the net with about a minute left? yep - wasn't under 10k. you're either blind or naive if you think it was. the building holds about 20,000 - meaning it would have to be half-empty for it to be under 10. it was empty comparative to a "normal game" - but it wasn't half empty. 11,000? maybe. 12,000? maybe.

and as far as you not renewing....whatever, i've seen plenty bandwagoners come and go through the years....if they start competing again, you'll be back.
Ill never give this group a penny ever again. I guess 10 years of season tickets makes me a bandwagoner...... good talk.

Old
07-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Ill never give this group a penny ever again. I guess 10 years of season tickets makes me a bandwagoner...... good talk.
Ever again? SERIOUSLY doubt that. HIGHLY doubt that. In fact, I'm guessing that once the team starts winning, no matter how long that takes, you'll start spending again.

I guess for now you can eat up the free tickets you're complaining about.

HF isn't a forum just for those who want to complain.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote