HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Satisfied with the offseason so far?

View Poll Results: Satisfied with the offseason so far?
Yes, we're younger, faster, and more team-oriented 49 59.04%
No, much more needs to be done 4 4.82%
No, losing Jagr was terrible and way too much turnover 11 13.25%
I'm not sure yet 19 22.89%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
A simple MEH should have been a poll option.
I'm curious to hear your plan.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:15 PM
NYR

I'm happy with some of the moves but at the end of the day they lost the only guy that actually hit anyone in Avery. This team is still way to soft for my liking. Not a real playoff team imo. I personally was really hoping to land Orpik.

NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:17 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR View Post
I'm happy with some of the moves but at the end of the day they lost the only guy that actually hit anyone in Avery. This team is still way to soft for my liking. Not a real playoff team imo.

Really...funny, I saw plenty of hitting from the likes of Dubinsky and Callahan.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Avery was 8th in hits, 5th among forwards. If anything, they gave away their biggest hitter in Tyutin, who led the team.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:25 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Avery was 8th in hits, 5th among forwards. If anything, they gave away their biggest hitter in Tyutin, who led the team.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Dubinsky led all rookie forwards in hits, including that wonderful game against the Pens at the end of the year in MSG, when he just beat the crap out of any Pen in his way.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Dubinsky led all rookie forwards in hits, including that wonderful game against the Pens at the end of the year in MSG, when he just beat the crap out of any Pen in his way.
You would be correct my friend, 196 for the #1 spot. Lucic came in 2nd with 181.

For all our "omgz this team is soft" posters out there;

Rissmiller-111 in 79 games
Voros-96 in 55 games

Should be adequate replacements of Avery/etc.

Old
07-03-2008, 11:32 PM
NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Really...funny, I saw plenty of hitting from the likes of Dubinsky and Callahan.
I have high hopes for Dubinsky but Callahan did it in spurts. He wasn't exactly a physical force.
I keep thinking about that second period in game 5 against the Pens. This team needs a player that will put the fear of life into other teams fore checkers.
They may score a few extra goals collectively this year but that's about it.

Last edited by NYR: 07-03-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old
07-03-2008, 11:39 PM
NYR

Quote:
You would be correct my friend, 196 for the #1 spot. Lucic came in 2nd with 181.

For all our "omgz this team is soft" posters out there;

Rissmiller-111 in 79 games
Voros-96 in 55 games

Should be adequate replacements of Avery/etc.
Both minus players on decent teams

Old
07-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Both minus players on decent teams
Both of the teams they were on were ridiculously top heavy and they didn't play on the 1st line, not sure what you expected. Hell, Marleau was a -19 on the Sharks last year, not to mention Drury was a -3 on the Rangers, both those teams were decent.

I wouldn't be worried.

Old
07-04-2008, 12:01 AM
2Leetch_94

That and +/- is not a good stat to judge players on. Marek Malik would have gotten Brian Campbell money based on his +/-.

2Leetch_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:05 AM
NYR

Quote:
Both of the teams they were on were ridiculously top heavy and they didn't play on the 1st line, not sure what you expected. Hell, Marleau was a -19 on the Sharks last year, not to mention Drury was a -3 on the Rangers, both those teams were decent.

I wouldn't be worried.
I'm not. I guess I'm just a little more old school. I like to see more north/south play. I want to see them pound their way to the front of the net and actually have someone stand in front rather than skate right past it would be nice too

Can you tell I'm not a Sather fan, or Renny for that matter?

Old
07-04-2008, 12:07 AM
NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Leetch_94 View Post
That and +/- is not a good stat to judge players on. Marek Malik would have gotten Brian Campbell money based on his +/-.

I understand that but if you're a minus 3 in 5 playoff games, that's the series folks...

Old
07-04-2008, 12:09 AM
2Leetch_94

Quote:
I understand that but if you're a minus 3 in 5 playoff games, that's the series folks...
Okay, but the guy isn't the only man on the ice. It's a five man unit.

Old
07-04-2008, 12:17 AM
NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Leetch_94 View Post
Okay, but the guy isn't the only man on the ice. It's a five man unit.
No argument there but if we're going in that direction, why not just bring up Buyers?

Old
07-04-2008, 12:19 AM
2Leetch_94

Quote:
No argument there but if we're going in that direction, why not just bring up Buyers?
No idea, competition? Make the players earn their roles on the team? I have to assume that Sather and company liked what they saw in Voros and Rismiller and decided to see what they could do in a Rangers sweater.

Old
07-04-2008, 12:30 AM
clmetsfan

I'm happy for now, but there's a lot that can still go wrong.

It's a risky move to put more emphasis on several youngsters. I think Dawes and Callahan can both make more significant contributions than they did last year, but it's not a given.

I love Zherdev's potential, especially now that he'll be playing (most likely) with Gomez, who seems to suit him. But most of us also thought that Gomez and Jagr would play well together last offseason. And if he doesn't mesh with Gomez, will we see the attitude problems that we heard about out of Columbus?

Rissmiller and Voros are nice guys to fill out the roster, but they're not gonna carry the team if things with the youngsters don't pan out.

I like the Naslund signing too. He's not what he used to be, but I think he can definitely replace Jagr's 71 points, and won't be such a looming presence on the ice. He might continue to decline, but I don't think it will be at an alarming pace, in which case his cap hit would be annoying, but managable.

I'm sad to see Jagr go, but I really think it's time to move on. The team ran through him too much last season; if you're gonna do that, you really should be getting more than 70 points out of the guy. He also doesn't really seem to be willing to take a less prominent role. I'm not going to hold it against him, but the team had to make a decision about which way to go. They chose to move on. Now we'll see how it pans out.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:31 AM
2 Late 2 Anton

Send a message via AIM to 2 Late 2 Anton Send a message via MSN to 2 Late 2 Anton
Approaching the season with cautious optomism. We have lot of talent, but if they can't work together, it all means bupkis.

2 Late 2 Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mowinckel View Post
Approaching the season with cautious optomism. We have lot of talent, but if they can't work together, it all means bupkis.
But isn't the way things are? We had a lot of new faces when the 05-06 team rolled out.

A lot with the 06-07 as well.

Them's the risks.

Old
07-04-2008, 12:36 AM
2 Late 2 Anton

Send a message via AIM to 2 Late 2 Anton Send a message via MSN to 2 Late 2 Anton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
But isn't the way things are? We had a lot of new faces when the 05-06 team rolled out.

A lot with the 06-07 as well.

Them's the risks.
Yup. Certainly isn't a boring team to follow, that's for sure.

2 Late 2 Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:37 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I'm happy for now, but there's a lot that can still go wrong.

It's a risky move to put more emphasis on several youngsters. I think Dawes and Callahan can both make more significant contributions than they did last year, but it's not a given.

I love Zherdev's potential, especially now that he'll be playing (most likely) with Gomez, who seems to suit him. But most of us also thought that Gomez and Jagr would play well together last offseason. And if he doesn't mesh with Gomez, will we see the attitude problems that we heard about out of Columbus?

Rissmiller and Voros are nice guys to fill out the roster, but they're not gonna carry the team if things with the youngsters don't pan out.

I like the Naslund signing too. He's not what he used to be, but I think he can definitely replace Jagr's 71 points, and won't be such a looming presence on the ice. He might continue to decline, but I don't think it will be at an alarming pace, in which case his cap hit would be annoying, but managable.

I'm sad to see Jagr go, but I really think it's time to move on. The team ran through him too much last season; if you're gonna do that, you really should be getting more than 70 points out of the guy. He also doesn't really seem to be willing to take a less prominent role. I'm not going to hold it against him, but the team had to make a decision about which way to go. They chose to move on. Now we'll see how it pans out.
I think it is different here because Zherdev and Gomez both play fast games. Jagr and Gomez played two completely different styles but Zherdev plays that speedy sniper game that suits Gomez more. And if Zherdev doesn't work then we have Naslund to work with Gomez and maybe Dubinsky could work with Zherdev. There are alot more options now that this team isn't relying on one guy for the majority of the offensive production.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:38 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm surprised with the poll results thus far. 22-6 in terms of being happy vs. being unhappy.
I'm pretty shocked too. I dont think the Rangers are going to be terrible or anything, but I think it's pretty hard to objectively not think that when you look at the sum of all the additions/subtractions that it doesnt result in a step backwards.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:38 AM
NYR Viper

i said yes, although i think there is a deal coming that makes this offseason even better as sather has some cap room to play with

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:39 AM
Edge

What I like about some of these moves is that there is a chance to have value in the future.

Zherdev and Fritsche have a chance to be key players for a long time.

Redden, whether he's the guy he once was or not, will bring value to a team that brings in younger defenseman down the road.

Even if Naslund sucks, he doesn't have an unreasonable contract that will be impossible to move.

Old
07-04-2008, 12:39 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I'm pretty shocked too. I dont think the Rangers are going to be terrible or anything, but I think it's pretty hard to objectively not think that when you look at the sum of all the additions/subtractions that it doesnt result in a step backwards.
i disagree.....chemistry is a HUGE thing.....plus the rangers underachived last year with their skill........i think they will finish about the same spot they did last year while having a much younger team

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

I hope we dont sign Demitra, lets save $$ for next year.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote