HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best team in the east so far...

Old
07-04-2008, 01:29 AM
WeSt_CoAsT_eXpReSs

vCash: 500
Montreal is good but i think that streit bought a dimension to their game that they will miss ... i like the rangers and i think they have the most proven combo of Defense /Goalies outside of jersey

WeSt_CoAsT_eXpReSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:30 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
+Laraque. Not "protector was there last year"...
I don't mean it in that sense...in last year's playoffs, no one in your top 6 was willing to pay any sort of physical price to make plays. A guy like Cole, or even Bertuzzi - a banger type with top 6 skill - would help you guys a lot.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:30 AM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKtUrN View Post
Free agents are not all signed yet. Sundin, Demitra and Jagr could all be signed in the East and they all could have a big impact. Also, alot of trades can happen. I would say the best 3 teams in the east at this point are Pens, NYR and Montreal. HM to NJD. I would say, depending on how these teams get the chemistry working for them, it's a toss up. After that I don't see anything that really scares me that much in other teams in the East.

Montreal as an advantage on the D on those teams. Price is real good but not sure how he will do this year. You never know with a 21 year old kid. Offensively, Pens get the nod in my opinion but if Montreal can get a guy like Sundin, I think they would get even with Pittsburgh.

Montreal needs only 1 other impact player to be favorites, and they are none left really other then the ones I have named in the beggining of this thread in UFA market. Getting an impact player on the trade front would cost alot so it's basically trading 4 quarters for a loonie and that will not help much. Hope Gainey signs one of these 3 players.
You think your D is better than ours. Why?

Orpik-Gonchar
Whitney-Eaton
Gill-Letang
Scuderi-Sydor
Goligoski (best dman in the AHL, broke several playoff scoring records)

I looked at what you have and you think you have the better D? Explain

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:35 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyMalkin View Post
You think your D is better than ours. Why?

Orpik-Gonchar
Whitney-Eaton
Gill-Letang
Scuderi-Sydor
Goligoski (best dman in the AHL, broke several playoff scoring records)

I looked at what you have and you think you have the better D? Explain
Orik<Komisarek
Gonchar=Markov
Whitney<Hamrlik
Eaton=Bouillon
Gill<<Gorges
Letang>O'Byrne

and in this game called hockey, only three pairings of defenseman can be played on the ice

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:39 AM
MaKi
Marschak's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
I don't mean it in that sense...in last year's playoffs, no one in your top 6 was willing to pay any sort of physical price to make plays. A guy like Cole, or even Bertuzzi - a banger type with top 6 skill - would help you guys a lot.
I see what your saying and I agree somewhat.
But I think (maybe it's hope) that the only difference between a Cole and say one of the Kostitsyn was that playoff experience.
During the regular season both brothers played with a physical edge and didn't shy away from any contact.
The playoffs were a different story though, and I think they just weren't used to the playoff atmosphere and hopefully they can adapt come this years playoffs.

Of our top6: (S.kost, Koivu, Tanguay, Plekanec, Kovaleav, A.kost) I think all of them except maybe Tanguay and Plekanec could handle the physical play very well.
Obviously not dishing out the hits, but that's not what they need to do.

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:41 AM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Orik<Komisarek
Gonchar=Markov
Whitney<Hamrlik
Eaton=Bouillon
Gill<<Gorges
Letang>O'Byrne

and in this game called hockey, only three pairings of defenseman can be played on the ice
hahah i love it when one teams fans knows so much about their team and not about the team they are trying to make the argument against. your post sums it up very well orpiks is poor mans komi, markov has got the age advantage, hamrlik has more experience and better defensively than whitney, not too sure about eaton and bouillon, gorges beats gill especially at his price tag and letang is good but will he be as good as mcdonagh coming up although i guess that argument isn't valid unless we apply it against goligoski

bhuya71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:42 AM
MaKi
Marschak's #1 Fan

Quote:
Orik<Komisarek
Gonchar=Markov
Whitney<Hamrlik
Eaton=Bouillon
Gill<<O'Byrne
Letang>Gorges (closer comparison)

IMO Letang and Gorges are fairly close in skillset.
The edge Letang has in skill I think Gorges makes up for in effort.
None the less I kept it Letang > Gorges.

Old
07-04-2008, 01:43 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacKmtl View Post
He definately does.
In the series against Boston once the Kovaleav line was getting shut down we needed scoring from another line.
Koivu fixed that once he came back, but with Tanguay added I believe that gives us 2 solid lines that can score, and I think our 3rd line will be a threat as well.
Koivu's absence for part of the playoffs did hurt you guys a bit, but it seems to me that you had production from two scoring lines for most of the season. Offense wasn't a problem. You were one goal shy of leading the league in goals scored.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:43 AM
ottsens08

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKtUrN View Post
Ottawa will have to go the trade route and to get the D and goaltender they need, one of the big 3 will have to leave. If not, they will be back to a 1 Offensive line team. Montreal has 3 (2 and 2/3s) offensive lines, Ottawa has 1 offensive line signed right now. I think it's a little too late for Ottawa. They should have made a bigger splash at the start of the FA market.
Ottawa went to the Stanley Cup Final with 1 offensive line in '07. I like the fact that everybody is counting the Sens out in the East. The Sens are still a very good team.

the top 4 teams in the East so far

1) Rangers
2) Penguins
3) Caps
4) Flyers

ottsens08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:44 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
hahah i love it when one teams fans knows so much about their team and not about the team they are trying to make the argument against. your post sums it up very well orpiks is poor mans komi, markov has got the age advantage, hamrlik has more experience and better defensively than whitney, not too sure about eaton and bouillon, gorges beats gill especially at his price tag and letang is good but will he be as good as mcdonagh coming up although i guess that argument isn't valid unless we apply it against goligoski
Quote:
IMO Letang and Gorges are fairly close in skillset.
The edge Letang has in skill I think Gorges makes up for in effort.
None the less I kept it Letang > Gorges.
i love you too guys

Old
07-04-2008, 01:47 AM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsens08 View Post
Ottawa went to the Stanley Cup Final with 1 offensive line in '07. I like the fact that everybody is counting the Sens out in the East. The Sens are still a very good team.

the top 4 teams in the East so far 1) Rangers
2) Penguins
3) Caps
4) Flyers
and your leaving out the team that did finish first and didn't lost any of its core only to add the best enforcer (who can actually play solid 4th line minutes) and one of the best even strength scorers? i agree with all except caps they still have a bit too prove and i think the rags kinda need to get their chemistry down with all the shuffling. also i really don't think they pens improved their roster with tenko and satan

Old
07-04-2008, 01:49 AM
MaKi
Marschak's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Koivu's absence for part of the playoffs did hurt you guys a bit, but it seems to me that you had production from two scoring lines for most of the season. Offense wasn't a problem. You were one goal shy of leading the league in goals scored.
I was just using the playoffs as an example because I think that's where we need to learn from our mistakes and improve.
We may have been a top scoring team in the season but that counts for nothing if the puck isn't going in the net in the post season.
In the regular season you get some line matchings and special assignments to top players but it's nothing compared to the playoffs which is why I used it as an example.
Tanguay provides more of a threat from the second line and improves even strength scoring, which will be needed if our 1st line and powerplay end up getting shutdown again.
Also for the regular season Tanguay > Ryder in the defensive zone.

Old
07-04-2008, 01:50 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
I agree with the four teams but the order has changed in the last week...
  1. Montreal;
  2. Philadelphia (Gagne is back, Richards and Carter better but still have Hatcher...);
  3. Pittsburgh (lost Hossa and Malone but added wingers, Still Fleury and Defense can hold itself);
  4. Boston (Bereron, Ryder).

Rangers is not in that list...
I agree that Rangers are not on the list, and while I think it is too fast to put Boston in there as top four, the first three should be among the top teams at least.
I also think one should consider Caps likely to make even more noise next season, and Ottawa simply has to be mentioned. They fell apart with injuries and locker room problems last year, but you have to think that they will have that solved for the new season.
Jersey are Jersey and cannot be counted out as a regular season threat at least, and finally Tampa are some defensive moves from being really, really interesting.

As for the top 3.... we're on subjective stuff here, but to be sure, Penguins are considerably better now than we were when last season started. Both in terms of personel and more importantly because our youngsters are one year further along the priming curve, also boosted by the experience of the finals run. Hossa is gone and unless the currently rumoured Jagr pipedream materializes, we won't look as good as during the playoffs, but despite a boatload of injuries last season, we were good enough to be close to the top even before Hossa was signed.

I'll eat my worst off tennis socks if we do not win the Atlantic and I think we'll take the East too.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:

1) Rangers
2) Penguins
3) Caps
4) Flyers

go with sba...

we were saying the same thing about rangers last year and guess what?

they epic failed again

you should bet with teams that did not lost his core during offseason rather than with a team full of shuffling that failed a lot of time

Old
07-04-2008, 01:52 AM
MaKi
Marschak's #1 Fan

Quote:

1) Rangers
2) Penguins
3) Caps
4) Flyers
That's why I find it trivial to try and predict the outcome in the East, because it's going to be very close once again.
I think it would be more productive to try and figure out who won't make the playoffs and work backwards.

15th Atlanta Thrashers

Old
07-04-2008, 01:53 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

devils. we were 4th in the east last year, led the east for a good part of the season and we didnt lose anybody and added rolston and holik. but yet again everyone will underrate us

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:53 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
I was just using the playoffs as an example because I think that's where we need to learn from our mistakes and improve.
We may have been a top scoring team in the season but that counts for nothing if the puck isn't going in the net in the post season.
In the regular season you get some line matchings and special assignments to top players but it's nothing compared to the playoffs which is why I used it as an example.
Tanguay provides more of a threat from the second line and improves even strength scoring, which will be needed if our 1st line and powerplay end up getting shutdown again.
Also for the regular season Tanguay > Ryder in the defensive zone.
How much of the season did Ryder play on the second line? I thought he was demoted to the third line for much of the second half.

Also, do your think your power-play will be weaker without Streit?

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:54 AM
bhuya71

Quote:
go with sba...

we were saying the same thing about rangers last year and guess what?

they epic failed again

you should bet with teams that did not lost his core during offseason rather than with a team full of shuffling that failed a lot of
time
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!! btw respect on the name of only one number 66 i like that

Old
07-04-2008, 01:56 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
How much of the season did Ryder play on the second line? I thought he was demoted to the third line for much of the second half.

the youngsters will handle this

Streit was not near good down the end of season and in the playoffs

our reg season PP was excellent, if our ES rise top a top tier lvl (see elite) but that our PP go down to a "great" level, i wont be mad at all

Old
07-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:

1) Rangers
2) Penguins
3) Caps
4) Flyers
huh? that looks like 5, 6, 7, 8 in no order

the rangers upgraded their defense, but downgraded their offense, which was their weak point. the penguins dramatically downgraded their offense. the caps should be good, the flyers should be good

in no order i have it like this

montreal
new jersey
capitals
flyers
tampa

Old
07-04-2008, 02:01 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
I see what your saying and I agree somewhat.
But I think (maybe it's hope) that the only difference between a Cole and say one of the Kostitsyn was that playoff experience.
During the regular season both brothers played with a physical edge and didn't shy away from any contact.
The playoffs were a different story though, and I think they just weren't used to the playoff atmosphere and hopefully they can adapt come this years playoffs.

Of our top6: (S.kost, Koivu, Tanguay, Plekanec, Kovaleav, A.kost) I think all of them except maybe Tanguay and Plekanec could handle the physical play very well.
Obviously not dishing out the hits, but that's not what they need to do.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to troll or anything...I love watching your team play, you guys play the right way, with speed and skill.

Plus I love Carey, but who doesn't??

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:03 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

please someone, explain to me how the devils arent on any of your guys list?

we were third in points in the east

montreal 104
pitt 102
new jersey 99

we allowed the least amount of goals against, and upgraded our offense at no expense.

i dont know of any websites that have peculiar stats but you should have seen our record when we were able to score 3 or more goals.

the rest of the division imo, got worse execpt the flyers.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:03 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't trying to troll or anything...I love watching your team play, you guys play the right way, with speed and skill.

ok right... then if you do find a bridge, just throw a rock on ottsens08's dead body underneat it

Old
07-04-2008, 02:04 AM
MaKi
Marschak's #1 Fan

Quote:

I realised this too but wasn't sure if you would bring it up.
Your right it isn't a direct substitution of Tanguay for Ryder.
But now that Tanguay is in the top6 that pushes Higgins down to the 3rd line and Higgins >> Ryder in the defensive zone.

It remains unforseen whether or not our powerplay will be weaker without Streit, as it was undeterminable when Souray left.
There is always someone available to take the big slapshot spot on the point.
Will the replacement do it as well?
I can't say.
Will they do it better?
I can't say that either.
All I know is our powerplay is going to have the same quarterback(Markov), playmaker (Kovaleav), and our coaching staff obviously knows what they're doing to lead the league two years running.
So I can't say if our powerplay will drop in production, but I can honestly say Streit is the least of my worries in terms of losing a part of our powerplay.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:10 AM
MaKi
Marschak's #1 Fan

Quote:

Oh, I didn't take it as trolling at all.
I found it was a valid point.
I'm just used to arguing it because in this city no one is ever happy.
We could be winning Stanley Cups by playing strong defense like the Devils and some people would still complain there isn't enough goals.
Now that we have the speed and skill people are mad we aren't big and tough.