HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Satisfied with the offseason so far?

View Poll Results: Satisfied with the offseason so far?
Yes, we're younger, faster, and more team-oriented 49 59.04%
No, much more needs to be done 4 4.82%
No, losing Jagr was terrible and way too much turnover 11 13.25%
I'm not sure yet 19 22.89%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2008, 12:42 AM
  #51
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i disagree.....chemistry is a HUGE thing.....plus the rangers underachived last year with their skill........i think they will finish about the same spot they did last year while having a much younger team
The Rangers didn't underachieve. They got beat by a faster, more offensive Penguins team. If we hadn't lost it in the semi-finals, we would have in the ECF. Losing is losing.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:46 AM
  #52
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
The Rangers didn't underachieve. They got beat by a faster, more offensive Penguins team. If we hadn't lost it in the semi-finals, we would have in the ECF. Losing is losing.
why would you make that assumption? and the rangers definetly underachieved, they were expected to make it to the SC, the Big 3 in Gomez, Drury, and Jagr were expected 80+ points each, and Shanny with 70+ points.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:47 AM
  #53
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 27,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i think they will finish about the same spot they did last year
I agree with you 100%, but that's my point. Isnt that kindof disappointing? This was a team that the experts picked to win the Stanley Cup last year. And with Jagr and Straka departing I think it puts a ton of pressure on these kids.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:49 AM
  #54
Edge
Kris King's Ghost
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I agree with you 100%, but that's my point. Isnt that kindof disappointing? This was a team that the experts picked to win the Stanley Cup last year. And with Jagr and Straka departing I think it puts a ton of pressure on these kids.
But is that really a different situation with Jagr and Avery here instead?

I don't think this team has a marquee player that "experts" can latch onto this season, but I really think we're underestimating the abilities of some of the guys they have.

Edge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:51 AM
  #55
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I agree with you 100%, but that's my point. Isnt that kindof disappointing? This was a team that the experts picked to win the Stanley Cup last year. And with Jagr and Straka departing I think it puts a ton of pressure on these kids.

Don't listen to those "experts". I'm sure the "experts" already have the Detroit Red Wings winning the cup next year.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:00 AM
  #56
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,706
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
My god people, was an ageing, 25 goal Jagr at $6-million plus really that vital to us avoiding this apparent doomsday?

You do realize we've now added two guys who just scored as many goals right? And you do realize that one of these guys is 23 right?

I think people have to come rely on Jagr for so long that they can't allow themselves to imagine life without him.

If this team struggles with two legit scorers playing with Gomez, than they were probably going to struggle with Jagr anyway.

You would think we just moved into a phase with Jeff Toms are the centerpiece of our offensive gameplan. Enough already!
So your saying the only thing Jagr brought to this team was goals? He brings so much more to the table than just goalscoring, you should know that Edge. He brings size, passing, and leadership (on ice). I keep reading your posts saying so we lost his 25 goals and he is declining. I heard this crap right after he left Washington. In your mind Jagr continues to decline and Zherdev is 100% going to step up. Well I don't know but I think the odds of Zherdev taking a flop on the first line are greater than Jagr having another poor season. And speaking of a player in decline, that guy we just got for 2.5 mill less than it would take to get Jagr isn't getting any younger either. Why do we always get these great players when thier careers are obviously almost over? BTW Edge, Naslund never scored more than 20 goals in a season playing in the Eastern Conference..

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:00 AM
  #57
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,706
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
But is that really a different situation with Jagr and Avery here instead?

I don't think this team has a marquee player that "experts" can latch onto this season, but I really think we're underestimating the abilities of some of the guys they have.
Funny I think your overestimating them.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:07 AM
  #58
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
All of the members here are just OVER-EVALUATING the whole situation.. Relax.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:09 AM
  #59
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,552
vCash: 500
I'm very happy with the moves that were made. I think Sather will make one final move --whether that be a trade or another signing remains to be seen-- to bring in some size up front. My bet is that it will be Bertuzzi to reunite with Naslund on a line with Gomez.

I think Kalinin - Mara could be a pretty good pairing with some decent snarl to it. Maybe not quite as good as an Orpik or a Murray, but its clear Slats tried to make it happen with Orpik and just didn't quite get it locked in.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:10 AM
  #60
Edge
Kris King's Ghost
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
So your saying the only thing Jagr brought to this team was goals? He brings so much more to the table than just goalscoring, you should know that Edge. He brings size, passing, and leadership (on ice).
And I supposed Zherdev and Naslund are just two schmucks who played on great teams and happened to outscore Jagr in goals?

Naslund brings speed, goal scoring and leadership.

Zherdev brings speed, youth and potetial.

We could go round and round on this forever.


Quote:
I keep reading your posts saying so we lost his 25 goals and he is declining. I heard this crap right after he left Washington. In your mind Jagr continues to decline and Zherdev is 100% going to step up. Well I don't know but I think the odds of Zherdev taking a flop on the first line are greater than Jagr having another poor season. And speaking of a player in decline, that guy we just got for 2.5 mill less than it would take to get Jagr isn't getting any younger either. Why do we always get these great players when thier careers are obviously almost over? BTW Edge, Naslund never scored more than 20 goals in a season playing in the Eastern Conference..
Who said Zherdev is guranteed to step up? not me, but I'll take those odds. In fact, one thing i've said repeatedly is that even if Zherdev and Naslund only maintain what they did last season, they still give us more legit goal scoring threats that we had last season.

And yes Naslund isn't the player he once was either, but $2.5 million difference in a salary capped NHL is pretty noticeable. Additionally, Naslund is a guy who fits the style of play that his potential centers bring to the table (something Jagr really didn't). And you have to consider the fact that Naslund is okay with not being the center of the offense at this point. He's seemed willing to adjust his game as needed, Jagr, even in interviews last week, didn't really seem keen on that idea.

The question isn't just about money, it's about roles and finding guys who click to make a team. What the Rangers have is not guranteed to click,but I think it has some pretty good odds. And that is a very important fact that seems to be lost in this conversation. We keep hearing about individual talent and creating space, but can we honestly say Jagr really clicked with the two guys who are going to be here into the next decade? Can we say that his style was likely to? Probably not.

Edge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:28 AM
  #61
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I'm pretty shocked too. I dont think the Rangers are going to be terrible or anything, but I think it's pretty hard to objectively not think that when you look at the sum of all the additions/subtractions that it doesnt result in a step backwards.
I'm struggling to contain my amazement that you feel that way.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:40 AM
  #62
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
I rather take my chances with a young Zherdev than a aging Jagr who wants the team to be focused around him. Sather feels this way also.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:51 AM
  #63
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,706
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
I rather take my chances with a young Zherdev than a aging Jagr who wants the team to be focused around him. Sather feels this way also.
Your putting your hopes in a guy thats labeled an enigma and is also known to have a poor work ethic. You know that right? Zherdev is not a sure thing to produce as a top winger.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:58 AM
  #64
Edge
Kris King's Ghost
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Your putting your hopes in a guy thats labeled an enigma and is also known to have a poor work ethic. You know that right? Zherdev is not a sure thing to produce as a top winger.
Umm didn't Jagr come with the same baggage as a 32 year old?

Not saying Zherdev is going to be the next Jagr, but I don't think your response is infallible proof that "the end is near."

Edge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:06 AM
  #65
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,706
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Umm didn't Jagr come with the same baggage as a 32 year old?

Not saying Zherdev is going to be the next Jagr, but I don't think your response is infallible proof that "the end is near."
Is Zherdev coming in with the same hardware on his matle?

How many trophies has he won? How many cups?

Jagr was a proven player who was obviously unhappy where he was. Zherdev is a huge question mark to me right now. I hope he proves me dead wrong and scores 100 points this season. Don't get my wrong I still love me Rangers, I wouldn't be so pissed if I didn't. But Glen Sather is not a good gm and I can't wait till the day he gets fired.............I miss Maloney

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:09 AM
  #66
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,706
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Umm didn't Jagr come with the same baggage as a 32 year old?

Not saying Zherdev is going to be the next Jagr, but I don't think your response is infallible proof that "the end is near."
Actually Jagr was never labeled like that. Enigma means your not playing up to your talent level or ability for whatever reason (hi Brendl). Jagr has always produced.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:11 AM
  #67
Edge
Kris King's Ghost
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Is Zherdev coming in with the same hardware on his matle?

How many trophies has he won? How many cups?

Jagr was a proven player who was obviously unhappy where he was. Zherdev is a huge question mark to me right now. I hope he proves me dead wrong and scores 100 points this season. Don't get my wrong I still love me Rangers, I wouldn't be so pissed if I didn't. But Glen Sather is not a good gm and I can't wait till the day he gets fired.............I miss Maloney
You're right Jagr had his two championships from 11 years prior to joining the Rangers and a bout a decade of drought since, it's all so clear to me now.

You act like Zherdev played on a loaded team last year and managed 10 goals. This kid scored 26 goals and 61 points on Columbus. You know, the Blue Jackets? Same team that picked in the top 10 in the draft and didn't have a center with more than 34 whopping points. I'm sure you're also aware than anyone outside of Nash and Zherdev had about half as many points right?

And going back to your little cup question - care to answer how many Gomez and Drury have in the last ten years? Humor me, just for laugh, won't you?

Edge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:12 AM
  #68
Edge
Kris King's Ghost
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Actually Jagr was never labeled like that. Enigma means your not playing up to your talent level or ability for whatever reason (hi Brendl). Jagr has always produced.
LMAO are you serious?

Man, where the heck have you been? Did you not read one thing when he came over from Washington?

You don't think Jagr didn't play up to his talent level or ability for whatever reason?

Tell you what, go try that one on the Caps board and see what responses you get.

I'll wait here for you.

Edge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:16 AM
  #69
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,706
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
LMAO are you serious?

Man, where the heck have you been? Did you not read one thing when he came over from Washington?

You don't think Jagr didn't play up to his talent level or ability for whatever reason?

Tell you what, go try that one on the Caps board and see what responses you get.

I'll wait here for you.
He was obviously unhappy in Washington and looking at that roster it wasn't a very good team back then. I have read a few times one of the reason he was pouting was because he wanted to come here to NY and didn't want to go to Washington. Sather instead got...........yup Eric Lindros. And that was for what? Two seasons?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:21 AM
  #70
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,706
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
You're right Jagr had his two championships from 11 years prior to joining the Rangers and a bout a decade of drought since, it's all so clear to me now.

You act like Zherdev played on a loaded team last year and managed 10 goals. This kid scored 26 goals and 61 points on Columbus. You know, the Blue Jackets? Same team that picked in the top 10 in the draft and didn't have a center with more than 34 whopping points. I'm sure you're also aware than anyone outside of Nash and Zherdev had about half as many points right?

And going back to your little cup question - care to answer how many Gomez and Drury have in the last ten years? Humor me, just for laugh, won't you?
So because they won cups on good teams as supporting players they are ready to lead us to the promise land? Get a laugh? For christ sake you make is sound like Drury lead the Avs as the MVP and Gomez lead the Debbies as welll.

Sakic, Forseberg, Foote, Roy, Hedjuk lead the Avs.....you know STAR players.

The Devils won because of one of the best goalies and defenses of all time.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:22 AM
  #71
Edge
Kris King's Ghost
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
He was obviously unhappy in Washington and looking at that roster it wasn't a very good team back then. I have read a few times one of the reason he was pouting was because he wanted to come here to NY and didn't want to go to Washington. Sather instead got...........yup Eric Lindros. And that was for what? Two seasons?
So let me get this straight? Jagr pouts on a bad Washington and under performs and it's because he was so in love with NY?

Zherdev scores 26 goals and 61 points on a bad Columbus team with no offensive centers and it's because he is an enigma.

That's pretty interesting.

But seriosuly, I insist. I really think you should ask Caps fans, because I don't think you'll take my word for it. My only regret is that we didn't have a chance to ask Pens fans before they got excited about the idea of Jagr coming back.

Jagr is talented and was a good leader for the Rangers, but to say he wasn't viewed as an enigma before coming here is just flat out revisionist history.

Edge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:23 AM
  #72
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,706
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
So let me get this straight? Jagr pouts on a bad Washington and under performs and it's because he was so in love with NY?

Zherdev scores 26 goals and 61 points on a bad Columbus team with no offensive centers and it's because he is an enigma.

That's pretty interesting.

But seriosuly, I insist. I really think you should ask Caps fans, because I don't think you'll take my word for it. My only regret is that we didn't have a chance to ask Pens fans before they got excited about the idea of Jagr coming back.

Jagr is talented and was a good leader for the Rangers, but to say he wasn't viewed as an enigma before coming here is just flat out revisionist history.
Enigma no, crybaby yes


And stop saying Zherdev did it alone. Just because the team didn't make the playoffs doesn't mean they don't have other good players. We don't have ANYONE on the level of a Rick Nash, not even close.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:26 AM
  #73
Edge
Kris King's Ghost
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
So because they won cups on good teams as supporting players they are ready to lead us to the promise land? Get a laugh? For christ sake you make is sound like Drury lead the Avs as the MVP and Gomez lead the Debbies as welll.
But wait a minute, I thought Jagr had hardward on his mantle as well? So you're going to tell me he was centerpiece in his first two years in Pittsburgh?

BTW, how many MVP awards did Jagr win during the Pens cup runs?


Quote:
Sakic, Forseberg, Foote, Roy, Hedjuk lead the Avs.....you know STAR players.
Star players? What are those?

You mean like Lemieux, Francis, Coffey, Barasso, Recchi, Stevens and Murphy. You know....the STARS who played for the Pens.

Quote:
The Devils won because of one of the best goalies and defenses of all time.
And I'm sure having forwards who each bought into a system and were more than the sum of their parts didn't hurt either. Nor did a constant infusion of young talent.

Riiiight.

Edge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:28 AM
  #74
Edge
Kris King's Ghost
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Enigma no, crybaby yes


And stop saying Zherdev did it alone. Just because the team didn't make the playoffs doesn't mean they don't have other good players. We don't have ANYONE on the level of a Rick Nash, not even close.

And i suppose you realize that they often played on different lines right?

i'll assume you're pretty familiar with their roster from last season?

You want to see something scary - take one look at this:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...023302008.html

Edge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:31 AM
  #75
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,706
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
But wait a minute, I thought Jagr had hardward on his mantle as well? So you're going to tell me he was centerpiece in his first two years in Pittsburgh?

BTW, how many MVP awards did Jagr win during the Pens cup runs?




Star players? What are those?

You mean like Lemieux, Francis, Coffey, Barasso, Recchi, Stevens and Murphy. You know....the STARS who played for the Pens.



And I'm sure having forwards who each bought into a system and were more than the sum of their parts didn't hurt either. Nor did a constant infusion of young talent.

Riiiight.
Your reachin man lol

Your comparing the roles Gomez and Drury had in thier teams to that of Jagr? Guess you missed those 2nd round losses to the Pens when he was just a kid. I remember it very clearly, Jagr was at times the best player in the building.

Star players what are those you ask? Dunno we have none now in NY besides Hank.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.