HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best team in the east so far...

Old
07-04-2008, 01:13 AM
Judge Sauer*

vCash: 500
Toronto with Finger

Bruins with Ryder

Habs with Tanguay

Pens with Satan

Last edited by Judge Sauer*: 07-04-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:30 AM
kihei

vCash: 1002
On paper, Montreal, but until Montreal topples Pittsburgh, it is only a paper crown.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Lone Rogue

IF Tanguay clicks with a Canadiens center.
IF our young players get even better this year.
IF Carey Price handles his first full season as Canadiens starter with a great year.
IF our team stays relatively healthy all season.
IF our coaching staff proves they learned from last year and learn to change team strategies on the fly.

We will be the best team in the East.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsens08 View Post
Ottawa went to the Stanley Cup Final with 1 offensive line in '07. I like the fact that everybody is counting the Sens out in the East. The Sens are still a very good team.

the top 4 teams in the East so far

1) Rangers
2) Penguins
3) Caps
4) Flyers
Ouch, that standing is so biased....

Rangers 1st ?? Give me a break, how long until Redden or Naslund get buy out? The Rangers got so many overpaid players, it not even funny (Drury, Redden, Rovsival, Naslund).

Penguins 2nd - Might happen , but they really lack of scoring wingers.

Caps 3rd- Wow how ? If you really think that the Caps are better than the Habs, you really don't know jack about hockey.

Flyers 4th - Might happen

And all of them better than the Habs ? Please do not bother posting here again is your so heavily biased against our team.

ok thanks bye

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:02 AM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
devils. we were 4th in the east last year, led the east for a good part of the season and we didnt lose anybody and added rolston and holik. but yet again everyone will underrate us
I like the Devils but they are a few questions marks, mainly with your defensive corps and your offense. If only the Devils could score more goals, they should be alright as long as Brodeur is playing like the number one goaltender in this league.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:06 AM
devs4L

The rangers finished 5th, lose Jagr, Straka, Tyutin, Avery, Backman, Malik, and maybe Shanahan, gain 3 question marks in Naslund, Redden, and Zherdev and yet some how are already considered by some as one of the best teams in the east so far.

The devils had the 3rd most points in the east, didn't lose anybody, and added Brian Rolston and Bobby Holik but somehow are being over-looked.

5 points seperated the devils from the top spot in the east. Of the top 8 teams in the East, the devils added the most while losing the least. Call me a homer but I think as of now the strongest argument for best team in the east goes to the devils.

devs4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:12 AM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by devs4L View Post
Call me a homer but I think as of now the strongest argument for best team in the east goes to the devils.
Homer.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:20 AM
devs4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Homer.
I knew that was coming

devs4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:21 AM
24morecupsthanyou*

Probably mentioned many times...
but last year all of the 'pundits' and 'experts' expected the habs to miss the playoffs because all we did was pick up smoke and hamrlik. They were TOTALLY oblivious to the fact that the habs were building from within and had a plethora of good young players just itching to breakout. What happened? The guys from within rushed onto the scene and helped carry the habs into First place in the eastern conference. So what should we expect from the habs this year? Essentially the same, PLUS MORE! Both Kostitsyn's took a little time to get going (Andrei needed the spark plug of Kovy, and Sergei just needed a callup which happened around december?), Plekanec took a little time to breakout as well, and Higgins was extremely streaky. If those 4 guys play consistent hockey throughout the year, that alone habs should help improve on the season that they had this year. We all saw the abysmal record with Brisebois in the lineup last year, so with Gorges solidifying his position on the team...we're a better team. Oh yah, lets not forget that we got Tanguay to replace Ryder. A consistent 75 point guy when aligned with competent line mates.

We lost streit, which should hurt our PP...
but then again everyone expected the habs game to suffer last year because we lost Souray. But we managed to get over that hump didn't we? With wizards like Markov and Kovalev, our PP should still be dominant. Our PK and 5 on 5 play is greatly improved with the addition of Tanguay. Our ability to draw penalties from the cycle game is improved with Laraque who is an absolute beast in the corners, and oh yah...we're a heck of a lot tougher with big George as well!

My only fear comes in net. I love Carey Price and Jaro, but can that young tandem carry the load? I sure hope so, they have all the talent to do so. BG gave them the proverbial ball to carry, i hope they can carry it, i think they can carry it, but WILL they carry it without dropping it?

But yah, if we add Sundin to the leagues best offense...forget goaltending worries when you score 4 goals a game.

24morecupsthanyou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:28 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyMalkin View Post
You think your D is better than ours. Why?

Orpik-Gonchar
Whitney-Eaton
Gill-Letang
Scuderi-Sydor
Goligoski (best dman in the AHL, broke several playoff scoring records)

I looked at what you have and you think you have the better D? Explain
Komi>Orpik
Markov=Gonchar
Hamrlik(defensively)>>Whitney
Gorges>Eaton
Bouillon=Scuderi
My left testicle>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sydor

Gonchar is the only good veteran you guys have on D, which is the main reason our D is better.
Hamrlik is as good defensively as any D can be, so we can put O'Byrne with him and they'll form a great pair. O'Byrne who's already a pretty decent skater and a monster in size will learn quickly along side Hamrlik.

As for the subject itself.

We finished 1st last season and we didn't lose any players that had an impact on our team last season. We also didn't go all out like maniacs and change half the roster of our club.
We added another offensive threat in Tanguay, on top of adding the King of HWs, Laraque. Our guys will feel a lot safer skating around the ice.
None of our youngsters have reached their max potential either and could really come around next season.

I still put Pens and Habs as top in East, with Philly behind because of Gagne's return.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:48 AM
TheAntiprice*

the east is gonna be total madness next season...
my prediction

1) Devils
2) Habs
3) Caps
4) Pens
5) Sens
6) Flyers
7) Bruins
8) Rangers

make it 25-7 against the bruins all time

TheAntiprice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 03:45 AM
sandman08

the east is going to be a crap shoot this year.

the habs are improved on paper but a lot of that improvement is predicated on the idea that the young guys are going to improve or at least stay at the same level, but as jordan staal proved last year, that isnt necessarily going to be the case regardless of talent or will or desire. having said that, i do think we have enough talent besides the kiddie corps to do well and compete with the rest of the teams in the conference and if we do indeed add sundin, we'll add a significant piece to the puzzle. the habs for all intents and purposes replaced streit, ryder and possibly dandenault with tanguay and laraque and that is a definite improvement no matter how you cut it and how the kids do.

the devils should also be improved this year with adding holik and rolston but i was under the impression that one thing the devs needed was a good pucking moving guy to replace the likes of neidermayer and rafalski, and if thats the case, bryce salavadore, although good, just doesnt play that role. they still will be a great team this year however but that "handicap" remains.

the sens, an unpopular group around these parts but talented none the less. are they a 1 line team? yes pretty much, they need secondary scoring and thats a given but the guys that make up that line, the big three, are 3 of the best players in the league/world and that counts for a lot. throw in the fact they got rid of emery and the others who caused problems and picked up a good coach who should instill some discipline and a proper system and they could surprise a lot of folks. furthermore, if the boyle rumours are true then theyve effectively replaced redden and commodore (both of whom were terrible for them) with dan boyle and brian lee and thats an improvement any way you cut it. goaltending is still a weakness however so who knows what will happen. as long as volchenkov and phillips are on the back end tho, they should be fine with the big 3 + fischer and those for the most part.

the caps could be amazing or could be terrible based on swapping theo for huet. if theo plays at least as good as kolzig, huet and johnson? (i think its brent johnson they have as a backup) then they should be a better team from start to finish with boudreau behind the bench and the offensive talent they have. another thing about theo, as we habs fans know (or at least should know) he can get very hot and play at a level thats incredible or he could suck but the talent is still there.

pittsburgh and the rangers, the pens and rangers are kindve in the same boat, theyve both had a decent amount of turn-over from last year to this year so it all depends on the chemistry of the group and them gelling. one cant really argue that hossa and malone > satan and fedentenko and jagr and straka > naslund and zherdev although both teams still have great players in their lineups so the losses could be offset.

philly should still be a great team and should play well, i mean richards, briere and carter are still with them and their only loss is in umberger which they should be able to offset with their center depth. on top of that gagne is back and that will improve the team further. as long as they dont have another month long swoon they should be up there challenging with the likes of the other teams as well.

boston, the bruins added ryder (who will bounce back) and bergeron (effectively he wasnt there last season like gagne wasnt with the flyers) and both of those players will help, how much is the question and can the goaltending duo of fernandez and thomas play well or not. unlike a lot of habs fans, i actually like lucic and his play, hes gonna be a good one but not upper echelon power forward good IMO. although he could prove me wrong and end up like neely, iginla and the rest.

finally 2 teams out of the south east that improved, tampa and carolina.. tampa added depth although it remains to be seen what happens with boyle and if traded who replaces him but beyond that, they have effectively solved their secondary scoring problem. the canes lost a lot of grit and size in cole but the addition of pitkanen is "just what the doctor ordered" for that team so the addition although "costly" and not HUGE (compared to others around the conference) the benefit could end up making the deal huge for them (at the same time pitkanen could play terribly and theyre still stuck in the same boat).

for the rest of the bunch, the isles, sabres, panthers and thrashers have all either regressed or improved only incrementally and therefore shouldnt expect to do significantly better than last year (and in the case of some of those teams they'll be competing with each other for the tavares/hedman sweepstakes).

damn.. that post got long haha

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 03:52 AM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by devs4L View Post
I knew that was coming
lol nah truth be told the east have a couple of sleeper teams that might surprise the Pens and Habs.

1) Boston will have a healthy line up. Bergeron's return and a clear-headed newly motivated Ryder will likely provide some much needed offense in a goal starved club. Of course, this is assuming Thomas shows no decline.

2) Caps young talent gained valuable experience last year and under Boudreau should make the playoffs again. They will start the season clean and with Theodore in nets, they get some stability, provided he doesn't stink it up like he always does after he signs a contract. Fedorov should be a priority right now.

3) Philly looses Umberger but gets Gagne back. They have a potent offense and let's not forget they still made it to the ECF any way you cut it.

4) Tampa? For now seems like a free agent circus down there but they've added Malone and Roberts to the line-up. Can Stamkos play next year? Kolzig?

As for the Devils, they pretty much have the same team but their low scoring system, IMO, ain't enough to grab first even with Rolston potting his share. Holik will be a non-factor. The Rags lost more than they gained as you've pointed out. Sens are broken even more-so at the blue-line.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. Detroit mops the floor with the whole league. Unless, of course, Sundin becomes a Hab .

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 05:06 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Okay. I forgot about him. Do you think he fills an area of need?
Even-strength scoring. It's about the only area where the Habs needed genuine improvement. Unless you count the tough guy area, but looks like that was addressed pretty well too.

Seriously, "does your new top-flight, first-line forward address an area of need" is an interesting question anyway.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 06:02 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
please someone, explain to me how the devils arent on any of your guys list?

we were third in points in the east

montreal 104
pitt 102
new jersey 99

we allowed the least amount of goals against, and upgraded our offense at no expense.

i dont know of any websites that have peculiar stats but you should have seen our record when we were able to score 3 or more goals.

the rest of the division imo, got worse execpt the flyers.
Because you have not seen my list...duh!

I see the Devils staying near the top as long as Brodeur is their goalie, so here is my prediction:

1- Pittsburgh
2- Montreal
3- Washington
4- New Jersey

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 06:18 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Even-strength scoring. It's about the only area where the Habs needed genuine improvement. Unless you count the tough guy area, but looks like that was addressed pretty well too.

Seriously, "does your new top-flight, first-line forward address an area of need" is an interesting question anyway.
the other, the "does your new TOP heavy weight adress an area of need" is also interesting

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 06:24 AM
Tuggy

It's pretty hard not to rank Pittsburgh as the top team right now (although if we got Sundin I'd move us ahead of them). Very early predictions:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Montreal
3. Washington
4. Boston
5. New Jersey
6. New York Rangers
7. Ottawa
8. Philadelphia

9. Buffalo
10. Tampa Bay
11. Carolina
12. Toronto
13. Atlanta
15. New York Islanders

Still lots of offseason left for things to change.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 06:29 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

I'm really wondering how can the Flyers be rated so highly...

they didnt lost much, Umberger, O.K...

but they're about 4M$ OVER the cap (unless numbers are wrong), meaning they'll have to trade more than one player, unless they trade one highly paid forward (Briere, Gagné, Carter, Richards) of course...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 06:32 AM
Talent Analyst

Rangers, Habs and Pittsburg are the top 3 best team in the east.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 06:40 AM
ap3lovr

as for the topic, the Penguins and Rangers have to be favs goin in this year. Montreal isn't far off, if they add that impact player they'll quickly jump to the forefront.

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Bermy

the flyers are gonna have a good season imo

Bermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 06:49 AM
JaymzB

Until some beats them, Pittsburgh is tops in the East.

As for the Habs, well, I'm cautiously optimistic about their chances. But I hope last year proved that judging how well a team will do based on their free agent signings (or lack there of) is difficult at best.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Here are my current contenders for top spot in the east in order of likelihood:

Pittsburgh
Philly
Montreal - if they can land Sundin, I would move them to first
New Jersey
NY Rangers

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
I'm really wondering how can the Flyers be rated so highly...

they didnt lost much, Umberger, O.K...

but they're about 4M$ OVER the cap (unless numbers are wrong), meaning they'll have to trade more than one player, unless they trade one highly paid forward (Briere, Gagné, Carter, Richards) of course...
Hatcher will soon be off the cap, and other minor moves will get us well under the cap.

For me, you can't look past the pesky pens.

1) Pitts
2) Montreal
3) NJ/Philly
4) NJ/Philly

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 07:05 AM
jb**

dont know but wash get way to much love
i dont think they make the playoffs

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote