HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Mara

Old
07-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Hockey2000nyr

vCash: 500
im a flip flop with bringing back mara, if it was for one year at a very cheap price i do it, but what if potter/sanguinetti/pock come into camp and completelu blow the staff away with how they perform and shows that they are ready for the big show, then it delays them coming to broadway.

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
im a flip flop with bringing back mara, if it was for one year at a very cheap price i do it, but what if potter/sanguinetti/pock come into camp and completelu blow the staff away with how they perform and shows that they are ready for the big show, then it delays them coming to broadway.
Not by much. What do you think the over-under is on the Rangers getting through even 20 games without an injury on D?

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Hockey2000nyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Not by much. What do you think the over-under is on the Rangers getting through even 20 games without an injury on D?
i know what you mean but thats really a never know till we get there. if it happens that one of the three prove to be ready then we have depth to get through the year, as the others gain valuable experience in the minors

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

And what happens if none of them are ready? You can never have enough defensemen and I'd rather err on the side of having too many than risk having a depth problem.

Old
07-03-2008, 08:38 PM
NYROrtsFan

Correct... You can guarantee that one or two of the top 6 will get injured at one point and we will have to rely heavily on some of the others. They will have to step up big.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Correct... You can guarantee that one or two of the top 6 will get injured at one point and we will have to rely heavily on some of the others. They will have to step up big.
Soooooooo Mara has a one yr deal on the table???

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Edge

Problem with Mara is that all of his good parts never seem to come together at the same time for long enough stretches.

Sometimes you see the guy who can get 100 pim and level guys with a big body. Other times you see a guy who scored double digit goals and 40+ points. But you rarely see either of those two guys often enough and very rarely together.

That's what seperates Mara from being a star (which he is talented enough to be). The problem is, how much do you play for potential and when do you start paying based on results?

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

IMO, Mara bringing Mara back is a no-brainer, especially if it's only a one year deal. He's competant in his role and is an established commodity to the team and coaching staff.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:13 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Soooooooo Mara has a one yr deal on the table???
I read that, too. Just a few mins ago, i read that on ESPN.

Not sure it will happen. But looks like Sather wants him or someone similar for that 6th D spot.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:15 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
IMO, Mara bringing Mara back is a no-brainer, especially if it's only a one year deal. He's competant in his role and is an established commodity to the team and coaching staff.
I can't argue that. I agree 100%.

I was hoping we would bring him back.

Staal - Redden
Rozsival - Girardi
Kalinin - Mara

Pretty damn good if you ask me.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:22 PM
zestystrat

Say what you want about the guy but damn I loved that interview in the playoffs, the guy was practically breathing fire he was so revved up.

Anyway if Mara moves down to a 5/6 dman and gets paid like one, would the hate on Mara subside?

Also, anyone else think Struds comes back as well?

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Edge

I'd be open to Mara coming back under the right terms.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
Say what you want about the guy but damn I loved that interview in the playoffs, the guy was practically breathing fire he was so revved up.

Anyway if Mara moves down to a 5/6 dman and gets paid like one, would the hate on Mara subside?

Also, anyone else think Struds comes back as well?
I think Strudwick is good as the 7th Dman or Hartford player/coach

Old
07-03-2008, 10:31 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
I can't argue that. I agree 100%.

I was hoping we would bring him back.

Staal - Redden
Rozsival - Girardi
Kalinin - Mara

Pretty damn good if you ask me.
with Mara back, thats an awesome D, very, very good.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 08:48 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

From Dellapina this morning -

Quote:
and the one-year deal to bring back defenseman Paul Mara that was being hammered out last night
Looks like Mara will be back. The only left is probably a trade for a top six which would probably be some combination of Dawes, Prucha and/or Callahan.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post

Looks like Mara will be back. The only left is probably a trade for a top six which would probably be some combination of Dawes, Prucha and/or Callahan.
I really don't think they need to make a trade

Unless they plan on keeping Gomez, Drury and Dubinsky at C

Then they will move Prucha, excess wingers like Orr, Hollweg........and a descent pick for a guy with some skill...................BUT i think they are fine now

Old
07-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Vitto79

Quote:

I am not in NY.......where is this Dellapina link?

Old
07-04-2008, 09:09 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I am not in NY.......where is this Dellapina link?
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...naslund_j.html

Old
07-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Vitto79

ahhhh I assume it will get done too BUT he could ask for too much and then he is gone.........I am fine with Mara for one more yr at like 2 million

What a solid D

Redden, Girardi
Staal, Rozsival
Kalinin, Mara
Potter or Pock

I guess Struds could come back but I think he gets a two way deal with Hartford and becomes their captain for the next few yrs............he would be PERFECT for that

Old
07-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:

Posted that last night, but it ended up being the last post on page 2 so I think people missed it

Old
07-04-2008, 09:24 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
ahhhh I assume it will get done too BUT he could ask for too much and then he is gone.........I am fine with Mara for one more yr at like 2 million

What a solid D

Redden, Girardi
Staal, Rozsival
Kalinin, Mara
Potter or Pock

I guess Struds could come back but I think he gets a two way deal with Hartford and becomes their captain for the next few yrs............he would be PERFECT for that
That defense you posted is a mess...put players in the proper roles.

Staal-Redden...an actual top pairing on D

Kalinin-Rozsival...Rozy becomes a better D-man with not as much icetime

Mara-Girardi...Girardi where he belongs...on the 3rd pairing...a deeper and more rounded D

Old
07-04-2008, 09:24 AM
alkurtz

Any successful team must have a core of 8 or 9 D they can use during the course of a season. Dmen are the most injury prone players in hockey. You need your 6 regulars plus a 7th guy you can plug in on game day if one of your regulars is ill or down. This same guy can fill in for a game or two if needed. Struds filled that role admirably last year. You need a guy or two down in the minors who you have confidence can fill in if there is a longer term injury.
The way I see it is we need to sign Mara. He is a competent NHL D, not the player it was thought he would be, but OK. With Kalinin's injury problems, we need a proven player to be our 6th guy. W/O a proven guy, an injury would reduce us to 4. Asking your top 4 to play 30 minutes a night for a stretch of games isn't realistic.
Our crop at Hartford does not inspire confidence. This would have been Baranka's year. I'm not sold on Potter. Sauer is a possibility but needs more time. Fahey has been a solid AHLer and seems like a lifer in the league, but could get a sniff. Sangs is not ready.
Bottom line: sign Mara.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:31 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Kalinin-Rozsival...Rozy becomes a better D-man with not as much icetime

Mara-Girardi...Girardi where he belongs...on the 3rd pairing...a deeper and more rounded D
Here is where we diverge. I think that a Kalinin/Rozsival pairing will be a nightmare. Girardi does not necessarily belong on the 3rd pair. To me, he looks to be a good # 4. I think that he will be the defensive counterpart to Rozsival on the 2nd pairing. Leaving Kalinin & Mara to man the 3rd pair

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Any successful team must have a core of 8 or 9 D they can use during the course of a season. Dmen are the most injury prone players in hockey. You need your 6 regulars plus a 7th guy you can plug in on game day if one of your regulars is ill or down. This same guy can fill in for a game or two if needed. Struds filled that role admirably last year. You need a guy or two down in the minors who you have confidence can fill in if there is a longer term injury.
The way I see it is we need to sign Mara. He is a competent NHL D, not the player it was thought he would be, but OK. With Kalinin's injury problems, we need a proven player to be our 6th guy. W/O a proven guy, an injury would reduce us to 4. Asking your top 4 to play 30 minutes a night for a stretch of games isn't realistic.
Our crop at Hartford does not inspire confidence. This would have been Baranka's year. I'm not sold on Potter. Sauer is a possibility but needs more time. Fahey has been a solid AHLer and seems like a lifer in the league, but could get a sniff. Sangs is not ready.
Bottom line: sign Mara.
First off I think they can do whatever the hell they want on D............but I think Redden and Girardi is just fine......give the guy more credit

As for depth I think they will have plenty of young players to back up the top 6

Pock, Potter, Sauer, Sanguinetti.........they signed that Fahey dude for the minors.............also I imagine that other young kids will be coming up and Strudwick would be a good Hartford captain

I think Staal and Rozsival worked well together too

Old
07-04-2008, 09:37 AM
wa2k99

I'd honestly give Mara two years, we only need him to be a 3rd liner who can do a little of everything. I think we have a good team if he comes back. The only thing I would want is a little more grit in the top 6 forwards.

wa2k99 is offline   Reply With Quote