HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panther articles and HF posters opinions

Old
07-04-2008, 10:57 AM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Panther articles and HF posters opinions

I've notice lately Panther fans becoming increasingly irritated by anti-Cat articles. I've also noticed Florida at the top of many of "Who's worst?" type threads here on the boards. This used to bother me years ago, but I realized until the Cats made a significant stride in the playoffs, it would persist because basically it is warranted. Why get agitated? This team, OUR favorite team, has basically spun wheels for 8 seasons now. There's no reason to expect anything else. My point? Maybe this is the point where the change occurs. New coach. New Captain. New atmosphere. Journalists want to bury this team? Let 'em. Posters want to put us at the bottom of the N.H.L. for good? Awesome. Nowhere to go but up. I'm not a Kool-aid drinker, Jm fan, JM hater. Just a Panther fan. All I want is for this team to win. I pray for it year after year. Maybe now, when it looks the worst. Maybe now, when the Cats are down for the count of 10. Maybe now, when the whole hockey community has casts this team aside as failures until the end of hockey. Maybe now, we win. Go Panthers!

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Ekblast
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to Ekblast
Brother... are you drunk? Did you start the fourth festivities too early?

On the outside, it looks like we have "changed". New coach, some new faces. But hey, we have done this before....actually quite a few times and no result: Sutter, Keenan, Dudley, Keenan, JM....

In reality, nothing has really changed. It's the same "rebuilding" crap as before. Don't you see a pattern? Nothing has changed.

I think a "change" will only start with new ownership.

But hey, in 10 months time, I will happily eat crow if I have to.

Ekblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:33 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akgoalie7-sisu View Post

On the outside, it looks like we have "changed". New coach, some new faces. But hey, we have done this before....actually quite a few times and no result: Sutter, Keenan, Dudley, Keenan, JM....

In reality, nothing has really changed. It's the same "rebuilding" crap as before. Don't you see a pattern? Nothing has changed.

actually, A LOT has changed - when was the last time we had 2 successive years of competent and consistent retooling, addressing needs and locking up our young talent while restocking the prospect pool? huh? huh? i can't remember. that's alright, we'll see what happens over the next couple of years. i'm betting that a LOT of people are going to be eating crow.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
actually, A LOT has changed - when was the last time we had 2 successive years of competent and consistent retooling, addressing needs and locking up our young talent while restocking the prospect pool? huh? huh? i can't remember. that's alright, we'll see what happens over the next couple of years. i'm betting that a LOT of people are going to be eating crow.
I kind of agree with you that a lot has happened, that didn't happen before. Some needs have been addressed while other weaknesses have been revealed. That's just how it goes.

Will the changes made have any (positive) impact on the product on ice, is a wild guess. Panthers were sliding last season, and were not REALLY in contention for playoffs, which is very worrying after a couple solid improving seasons. Are we running out of steam before we even reach the playoffs with this bunch of core players?

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:00 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
I kind of agree with you that a lot has happened, that didn't happen before. Some needs have been addressed while other weaknesses have been revealed. That's just how it goes.

Will the changes made have any (positive) impact on the product on ice, is a wild guess. Panthers were sliding last season, and were not REALLY in contention for playoffs, which is very worrying after a couple solid improving seasons. Are we running out of steam before we even reach the playoffs with this bunch of core players?
good points. wrt your question, hard to say. this team needed a change in terms of the dynamic and it got one. we don't know what will happen but i think JM's done a damn good job of trying to right the ship. imo, there's a decent to good core in place. it's going to need help in the right places to excel but i think it's still very possible, if not likely.

Old
07-04-2008, 12:08 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
A coaching change is really significant. DeBoer is going to change the philosophy in the dressing room and he really seems like the kind of coach who won't stand for the laziness that guys like Horton showcase on the ice night after night.

I really hope we get into the playoffs and rub into all the nay-sayers' faces.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jok-AtTheDriveIn-en View Post
A coaching change is really significant. DeBoer is going to change the philosophy in the dressing room and he really seems like the kind of coach who won't stand for the laziness that guys like Horton showcase on the ice night after night.

Hopefully you are right about DeBoer, at least all that is written here points to that direction. Time will tell.

If we make the playoffs you can rub anything you like on my face.

Old
07-04-2008, 12:58 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jok-AtTheDriveIn-en View Post

so you think JM "stood" for laziness night in and night out? it's very difficult to get commitment from every player every night when your captain isn't setting the example. don't get me wrong, i like the deboer hire but i don't think JM's coaching ability had that much to do with this team's lack of success. the makeup of the team, starting at the captain, needed to change. it has.

Old
07-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
so you think JM "stood" for laziness night in and night out? it's very difficult to get commitment from every player every night when your captain isn't setting the example. don't get me wrong, i like the deboer hire but i don't think JM's coaching ability had that much to do with this team's lack of success. the makeup of the team, starting at the captain, needed to change. it has.
For the sake of the team and Joke himself, Joke needed to be traded. I don't buy the "cancer" story as such though, IMO Martin alienated Joke and it happened slowly during the last two seasons, not just at the end of last season. Joke slowly tuned Martin out, that is for sure. However, Joke is a really up-front type of guy. He is sincere, maybe too much so, as can be seen from the fact that he took all the blame to himself for last season's failure.

Anyway, Joke was not the right guy for Martin's plan, but Martin himself seems to be - not an up front type of guy, but a stab in the back -type of guy. This is my very uneducated opinion.

Old
07-04-2008, 01:41 PM
HardHitHorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akgoalie7-sisu View Post

I completely agree with you. Cohen is a clown & is an embarrassment to the league. Until he gets rid of the team, the franchise will unfortunately be a joke. It all started when he fired Dudley and hired Keenan only to fire Keenan and rehire Keenan around a year after firing him.

HardHitHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardHitHorton View Post
I completely agree with you. Cohen is a clown & is an embarrassment to the league. Until he gets rid of the team, the franchise will unfortunately be a joke. It all started when he fired Dudley and hired Keenan only to fire Keenan and rehire Keenan around a year after firing him.
Almost sounds like you want Dudley back?

Old
07-04-2008, 02:12 PM
HardHitHorton

At least Dudley had some kind of direction with the team. He was bringing in young players and rebuilding how a team should be rebuilt, not like Keenan and Martin have done destroying everything that Dudley built.

HardHitHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardHitHorton View Post
At least Dudley had some kind of direction with the team. He was bringing in young players and rebuilding how a team should be rebuilt, not like Keenan and Martin have done destroying everything that Dudley built.
Direction? Like - let's rebuild and then rebuild some more? I am not a Martin fan, but Dudley I don't need back. I think it's safe to say that he didn't live up to his super scout rep.