HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

More athletes should be like Hossa

Old
07-04-2008, 12:17 AM
cheesed-off*

vCash: 500
hahaha, most people here are as bitter and jaded as I am.

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:55 AM
benusmc

Well for all the hating, it was said that he wanted to go to Detroit last year and him and Holland talked before the deadline, with Waddells permission. Also during the finals, he said in the final handshake said something along the lines of wanting to play with them. Lastly I guess he stuck around through the hole Wings celebration. My point being is that the way he play fits Detroits style. Plus seeing a team that doesn't depend on just a single star to carry them, may have been something that really appealed to him. He wanted to play for Detroit from the start. Holland was saying he couldn't afford him long term, so Hossa asked what about short term, and then Holland told him Lids gets paid the most, but I can call. Hossa" don't bother calling I'll take less" I don't really see how he is just riding for the championship, maybe he just likes the way we play and he wants to have fun. I mean come on Pit fans look at whats happening over there, Malone/Hossa/BGL/Ruutu/Roberts... I can't even think of more, are all gone. There has to be something behind the scenes that could have easily have pushed Hossa away.

benusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:58 AM
benusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesed-off View Post
hahaha, most people here are as bitter and jaded as I am.
hahah an honest man

benusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:09 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
He's doing this to make more money.

let's not make him out to be an all sacrificing saint, he's still making a ton of money, playing with Dats and/or Zetterberg for a full season could make him 100 point guy, then he'll cash in.
He was a 100 point guy on Atlanta. If you can score 100 in Atlanta, you can score 100 points anywhere you aren't shackled to the trap.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:16 AM
Mortal Fear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmalicoat View Post
Good article by Drew Sharp of the Free Press.

Marian Hossa is a Red Wing because he wants to win a Stanley Cup. That's as pure as it gets in sports.

He took less money and fewer years -- shunning guaranteed financial security -- for the best opportunity to win a championship.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...807030351/1053
Haven't read thne article yet but I'll assume your cliff notes covers the main points. Here's my response:

He already has financial security, he's made about $30M just in salary in his career so far, including $18M in the last 3 years, plus he's getting another $7.5M next year. In terms of quality of life, he's not hurting and this decision is very unlikely to change this in the long run. Soit's far from the monumental sacrifice you make it out to be.

The NHL is a professional sports league; the players are not just athletes, they're also salary employees whose sole source of income comes from playing hockey (except for the very top echelon who get endorsement, but I'm not even sure if Hossa is in that exclusive group). For you to imdirectly criticize other athletes for valuing their finances more than some caricatured purist mindset of a bygone era that makes winning a trophy the highest possible achievement in life, is at best indicative of an extremely narrow-minded perspective of modern era profesional sports. Everybody wants to win, some people are just get more quality of life from material things and financial flexibility than from thrusting a trophy up to the skyh for a few seconds while letting loose a primordial scream for eternity. Also I find it duplicitous for critics like you to impose the priority of winning a championship on only players who haven't won it before, as though it's not worth as much the second and third time around. No professional athlete ever got criticized for signing for big bucks if they had already been on a championship team. So basically a double standard is created for players who have yet to win and players who have already won.

Mortal Fear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:22 AM
ClubSandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Atlanta traded him, so he never really had the chance to stay on with them. Maybe he would have if they hadn't dealt him at the deadline.

As for staying in Pittsburgh, look what happened to him when he signed a longterm deal to stay with a developing team and try to win it all: He got traded before the season even started. Some loyalty Ottawa showed him.

Hossa tried to do it the "right way" in Ottawa and got screwed for it. He doesn't owe the Sens, Thrashers, or Pens a thing. If any of his actions seem self-serving, well can you blame him? It's not like placing his trust in GMs and owners has worked out well for him yet.
Wow, you can't be serious?

Do you forget the many attempts the Thrashers made at extending Hossa last season? Only to be told every time he would test out free agency. What's worse is the Thrashers weren't even playing hardball, they wanted to extend him in one of his worse offensive seasons no less.

Ottawa isn't too much of a different story, you can try being a revisionist about it. Hossa held out for a contract that didn't fit the Sens payroll, so he was traded. Muckler might have still made the trade for Heatley if Hossa was signed at an affordable contract but in this case Hossa's contract that he fought for was a definite factor.

Either way I don't think much of him anymore. I don't think any less of Detroit for signing him, 29 other teams would have as well. But less athletes should be like Hossa if anything.

ClubSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 05:07 AM
dkhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I'd be more impressed if Hossa decided to stay on with Atlanta, and dedicate himself to turning that team's fortune's around, and win a cup that way. I'd even be more impressed with him if he stayed on in Pittsburgh, after that team gave up a lot to get him, and was trying to find a way to make him fit into their long term plans.

Taking a little less than full market value to win the cup does have it's nobility, but, he's looking at his easiest route to the cup, rather than trying to be a team's fundamental building block, to get them to that level. A cup ring is something that you can never diminish, so, if he gets it, it's hard to argue he made a bad decision, but, I'd imagine that winning the cup with a team that you've stuck with through the good and bad times to get to the top is the most rewarding.
Agree , Hossa is selfish as hell, he wants a ring, he jumps from the one cup team to the other, like a dog in heat chasing*****.....That´s why that Sundin guy is way better, he tries to be more loyal.

dkhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 05:25 AM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Haven't read thne article yet but I'll assume your cliff notes covers the main points. Here's my response:

He already has financial security, he's made about $30M just in salary in his career so far, including $18M in the last 3 years, plus he's getting another $7.5M next year. In terms of quality of life, he's not hurting and this decision is very unlikely to change this in the long run. Soit's far from the monumental sacrifice you make it out to be.

The NHL is a professional sports league; the players are not just athletes, they're also salary employees whose sole source of income comes from playing hockey (except for the very top echelon who get endorsement, but I'm not even sure if Hossa is in that exclusive group). For you to imdirectly criticize other athletes for valuing their finances more than some caricatured purist mindset of a bygone era that makes winning a trophy the highest possible achievement in life, is at best indicative of an extremely narrow-minded perspective of modern era profesional sports. Everybody wants to win, some people are just get more quality of life from material things and financial flexibility than from thrusting a trophy up to the skyh for a few seconds while letting loose a primordial scream for eternity. Also I find it duplicitous for critics like you to impose the priority of winning a championship on only players who haven't won it before, as though it's not worth as much the second and third time around. No professional athlete ever got criticized for signing for big bucks if they had already been on a championship team. So basically a double standard is created for players who have yet to win and players who have already won.
hey, you spelled 'skyh' wrong. it's 'skye'

btw, the Oilers better not consider Hossa next year. And if I know K-lowe, and he tells Hossa that he missed his boat, let's see how nice Ritch Winter is after that...

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 06:02 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesed-off View Post
hey, you spelled 'skyh' wrong. it's 'skye'

btw, the Oilers better not consider Hossa next year. And if I know K-lowe, and he tells Hossa that he missed his boat, let's see how nice Ritch Winter is after that...
Here's hoping every other team that made an offer refuses to deal with Hossa in the future. That would serve him right!

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 06:11 AM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
I'm not comfortable with the idea of praising an athlete for signing a contract that pays him $7,000,000 to play hockey. Maybe we could ask the rest of the people of Stara Lubovna, Slovakia just how big a burden he's placing on himself.

Hossa's a great player in a great place in time -- he's in his prime, he's got tons of leverage, and he's trying to get the best of both worlds.

Hossa's getting paid handsomely for a job he's extremely good at. Unfortunately, Dallas is going to beat Detroit in the '09 Western Conference Finals, so his winning-a-Stanley-Cup dream is going to have to wait.

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:51 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Atlanta traded him, so he never really had the chance to stay on with them. Maybe he would have if they hadn't dealt him at the deadline.

As for staying in Pittsburgh, look what happened to him when he signed a longterm deal to stay with a developing team and try to win it all: He got traded before the season even started. Some loyalty Ottawa showed him.

Hossa tried to do it the "right way" in Ottawa and got screwed for it. He doesn't owe the Sens, Thrashers, or Pens a thing. If any of his actions seem self-serving, well can you blame him? It's not like placing his trust in GMs and owners has worked out well for him yet.
I'm not blaming him. I just don't think his actions are highly worthy of praise, like the author of the article.

Besides, the situations he's been through don't quite fit the way you've describe them. Hossa had plenty of opportunity to stay with Atlanta. He was given many fair offers from Pittsburgh, and, even his situation in Ottawa isn't completely cut-and-dry.

Like I said, you can't blame him. It's hard to turn down the money he's getting, and the cup opportunity that he has, but, there are a lot of other players that will get my praise before him.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
I'm not comfortable with the idea of praising an athlete for signing a contract that pays him $7,000,000 to play hockey. Maybe we could ask the rest of the people of Stara Lubovna, Slovakia just how big a burden he's placing on himself.

Hossa's a great player in a great place in time -- he's in his prime, he's got tons of leverage, and he's trying to get the best of both worlds.

Hossa's getting paid handsomely for a job he's extremely good at. Unfortunately, Dallas is going to beat Detroit in the '09 Western Conference Finals, so his winning-a-Stanley-Cup dream is going to have to wait.
well I'm sure, then, most other players dying from starvation because 1 million dollar seem to do wonders for their decision making ability. I'm glad Hossa is from a well off family so that he can at least feed himself and fill up his tank with premium.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmalicoat View Post
Good article by Drew Sharp of the Free Press.

Marian Hossa is a Red Wing because he wants to win a Stanley Cup. That's as pure as it gets in sports.

He took less money and fewer years -- shunning guaranteed financial security -- for the best opportunity to win a championship.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...807030351/1053
**** hossa

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
His coat-tailing is admirable. What a hero.
When Marian was young the schoolyard bully was picking on one of his long time friends. Marian bravely joined the fray and very soon the fight was over. It was an easy win for young Marian...

... and his "new" friend.

Last edited by Crosbyfan: 07-04-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 04:28 PM
newellky

dont know if its admirable to sign a deal just to win a cup and meeanwhile have no connection or want for connection with the city...oh yea hossa isnt the first one to do this either, Kariya and Selanne did it s few years back to with COL and didnt get what they wanted and they left in a hurry

newellky is offline   Reply With Quote