HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Take your pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2008, 04:51 PM
  #26
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
A lot of the tier 2 top 6 guys signed today, and they signed at affordable prices.

Naslund - 2 years, 4 million per season
Satan - 1 year, 3.5 million
Fedotenko - 1 year, 2.5 million

There are still a few guys left, but the scoring wingers are about gone. We may just be standing pat. Ironically, the one guy I felt we had interest in the entire time, Demitra, is still available.....
I wonder why

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:00 PM
  #27
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Didn't he say that they were going to spend at about the mid point of the cap?
No, he never said that. Neither Poile nor Freeman have given any indication to an exact dollar amount we would spend. It could be the floor, like some here believe, or it could be the cap (highly unlikely). All he said was we would have the largest percentage increase in salary. But that statement is misleading. When you have the lowest payroll in the NHL, and the floor increases $10 million, its kinda hard NOT to have the largest percentage increase.

Oh, and just because Sullivan retires, doesn't mean we don't have to pay him. His 3 million dollars counts against us no matter what.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:09 PM
  #28
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
No, he never said that. Neither Poile nor Freeman have given any indication to an exact dollar amount we would spend.
I remember hearing someone associated with the Preds, I think it was Freeeman, say on 104.5 the Zone that he expected to be at about the middle. No link of anything, but that's what I remember.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:18 PM
  #29
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
And then in the shootout, Fiddler will slowly skate in and wire a wrister aiming straight for the five hole and clank it on off the post for a victory.


(Sorry Fids, but it made me laugh)

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:19 PM
  #30
oreilly22
Registered User
 
oreilly22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oahu
Country: United States
Posts: 334
vCash: 500
At first I was kind of writing off Demitra because I heard he's really fragile. Looking at his stats the last few years, he could be a pretty good pickup. (If we simply HAD to sign someone on the ufa market) I personally would prefer a trade where we could grab a younger top six forward that isn't on the Flyers , or just go with what we had with Hornqvist because that would mean that we were expecting big, big things from him (and I wouldn't doubt we are).

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:55 PM
  #31
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,448
vCash: 500
I would love for us to land Jagr but despite the rumors of us putting together an offer for him, the odds are pretty long.

I think Williams would be a really good addition to the second line and is one of the top FAs still on the market.

Beyond that, Demitra is made of glass, Nagy is lazy and there's nobody else really good enough to be an upgrade on Hornqvist.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:59 PM
  #32
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Oh, and just because Sullivan retires, doesn't mean we don't have to pay him. His 3 million dollars counts against us no matter what.
On Sullivan: Your statement is flawed. It has widely been reported that we have 75% of his contract insured. We may be paying him his 3.25 million, but really, we are only cutting him a check for around 800k. Additionally, he could easily be put on long term IR, removing his cap hit (which means nothing to the Preds because there is about a 0% chance of us spending to the cap).


Smokey and I mentioned this in another thread, but back when Demitra was a free agent after the lockout, the Predators reportedly offered him the same or more than he received in LA (4.5 million I believe). For this reason, I think we probably do have interest in him, as guys Poile likes tend to stay on his list for long periods of time (see Brendan Witt ). Other than that, I have no idea whether he still has interest in bringing Demitra here. I would say we would have to spend 8 million over two years (low end) to 17 over 4 years....He could make anywhere from 3.5 to 4.5 million annually IMO....

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:33 PM
  #33
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Smokey and I mentioned this in another thread, but back when Demitra was a free agent after the lockout, the Predators reportedly offered him the same or more than he received in LA (4.5 million I believe). For this reason, I think we probably do have interest in him, as guys Poile likes tend to stay on his list for long periods of time (see Brendan Witt ). Other than that, I have no idea whether he still has interest in bringing Demitra here. I would say we would have to spend 8 million over two years (low end) to 17 over 4 years....He could make anywhere from 3.5 to 4.5 million annually IMO....
The more I think about it, the more I like that idea of bringing him in. He allows us some added depth because he can definitely play in a first line capacity if the injury bug strikes us. And we have the depth to replace him for a spell or two if he does get injured. It could be one of those quiet moves of the offseason that always pays off for a handful of teams. And while you almost always overpay on the UFA market, this late in the game, the overpay isn't as drastic.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 04:03 PM
  #34
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,525
vCash: 500
Bernier was just traded for a 2nd and 3rd round pick - he would have been the exact fit our team needed....It would be interesting if we were even aware of his availability...

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 04:31 PM
  #35
oreilly22
Registered User
 
oreilly22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oahu
Country: United States
Posts: 334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Bernier was just traded for a 2nd and 3rd round pick - he would have been the exact fit our team needed....It would be interesting if we were even aware of his availability...
Meh.. We already have young forwards with potential, if we were to get a winger through a trade I would hope that it would be more of a proven scorer. We might as well go with the potential that we already have than get some more potential while swinging a trade.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 05:20 PM
  #36
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
It would be interesting if we were even aware of his availability...
Supposedly David Poile has the day off for family..

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 05:44 PM
  #37
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Supposedly David Poile has the day off for family..
Which is why I made my comment....I'm guessing this was a very quick transaction, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had no idea Bernier was available.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 06:12 PM
  #38
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Bernier was just traded for a 2nd and 3rd round pick - he would have been the exact fit our team needed....It would be interesting if we were even aware of his availability...
I'm not sure he's the answer. He has all the tools, but the pre-draft concerns have completely resurfaced after a strong rookie campaign. He's only 23, so there's plenty of time for him to blossom and a lot of powerforwards are late bloomers, but he's had two straight disappointing seasons.

We'd be giving away pretty nice assets for a guy I'm not sure wouldn't be a healthy scratch for large portions of the season. If he's not on the top two lines, Trotz is gonna bench him a lot in favor of more "trustworthy" guys on the back two lines.

Poile was almost undoubtedly aware that Bernier was being shopped. No offense guys, but it almost defies logic that Poile, or someone in the organization, wasn't aware of his availability. You can rest assured that Regier had his people contact someone in every organization in the Western Conference, and possibly some in the East, in order to maximize his value. There's no stockmarket for trading these assets, so GMs have to seek out and find as many willing buyers as possible. And that would certainly have included the Predators. And Poile more than likely felt he wasn't worth that package, otherwise he would have pulled the trigger.


Last edited by SmokeyClause: 07-04-2008 at 06:18 PM.
SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 10:11 AM
  #39
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
I'm not sure he's the answer. He has all the tools, but the pre-draft concerns have completely resurfaced after a strong rookie campaign. He's only 23, so there's plenty of time for him to blossom and a lot of powerforwards are late bloomers, but he's had two straight disappointing seasons.

We'd be giving away pretty nice assets for a guy I'm not sure wouldn't be a healthy scratch for large portions of the season. If he's not on the top two lines, Trotz is gonna bench him a lot in favor of more "trustworthy" guys on the back two lines.

Poile was almost undoubtedly aware that Bernier was being shopped. No offense guys, but it almost defies logic that Poile, or someone in the organization, wasn't aware of his availability. You can rest assured that Regier had his people contact someone in every organization in the Western Conference, and possibly some in the East, in order to maximize his value. There's no stockmarket for trading these assets, so GMs have to seek out and find as many willing buyers as possible. And that would certainly have included the Predators. And Poile more than likely felt he wasn't worth that package, otherwise he would have pulled the trigger.
On Bernier: I guess I should stick to my guns on him. I was against acquiring him last year at the deadline due to his inconsistency and for his stupidity on the ice. However, I do think he is a reasonable gamble at a 2nd and 3rd round pick due to the amount of qualities he could bring to our team - physicality, size, and scoring.

On Poile: Yesterday's trade could have been a bang-bang trade. The circumstances on the two acquisitions by Buffalo, lead me to believe that it might have happened relatively quickly. My remarks had nothing to do with Poile doing a poor job, but more to reflect how quickly and unexpectedly the trade went down.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 10:59 AM
  #40
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
On Bernier: I guess I should stick to my guns on him. I was against acquiring him last year at the deadline due to his inconsistency and for his stupidity on the ice. However, I do think he is a reasonable gamble at a 2nd and 3rd round pick due to the amount of qualities he could bring to our team - physicality, size, and scoring.

On Poile: Yesterday's trade could have been a bang-bang trade. The circumstances on the two acquisitions by Buffalo, lead me to believe that it might have happened relatively quickly. My remarks had nothing to do with Poile doing a poor job, but more to reflect how quickly and unexpectedly the trade went down.
I'm not going to pretend I'm "Mr. In the Know" when it comes to all things GM, but my company does a lot of work for the Panthers. I've actually spoken to a member of the Panthers front office about the issue of alerting other teams about who is available. He said that the players and teams have very strong, mobile networks that get word out quickly.

And that there is usually a lot of lead time in a trade. He said there wasn't a formal marketplace, but that the informal network was used in every single trade because "you owe it to your team to find the best deal possible" and that agents are constantly gaming the trade market in an attempt to steer their clients to more desirable destinations.

Based on the short conversation, I got the impression that bang bang trades are rare and that trades that happen without most of the league knowing are even more rare and create a stir. If you follow the NBA, you'll know of one such stir when the Lakers acquired Gasol for what one noteworthy coach felt was below market value.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:09 AM
  #41
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
I'm not going to pretend I'm "Mr. In the Know" when it comes to all things GM, but my company does a lot of work for the Panthers. I've actually spoken to a member of the Panthers front office about the issue of alerting other teams about who is available. He said that the players and teams have very strong, mobile networks that get word out quickly.

And that there is usually a lot of lead time in a trade. He said there wasn't a formal marketplace, but that the informal network was used in every single trade because "you owe it to your team to find the best deal possible" and that agents are constantly gaming the trade market in an attempt to steer their clients to more desirable destinations.

Based on the short conversation, I got the impression that bang bang trades are rare and that trades that happen without most of the league knowing are even more rare and create a stir. If you follow the NBA, you'll know of one such stir when the Lakers acquired Gasol for what one noteworthy coach felt was below market value.
I'm buying what your selling.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:14 AM
  #42
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I'm buying what your selling.
Well, I plan on shopping what I'm selling around to several potential buyers to get a better deal.

To add to what I was saying, I am under the impression that if a GM thinks you might want a player (either through need and/or previous interest), you have to hide in a bunker not to know when he pops back on the market again. And my guess is that Regier knew that Bernier would have potentially met a need for Nashville. And Poile and Regier probably have similar thoughts about the quality of Bernier. Which is why a deal wasn't made.

But there's rumors on the main board about Vancouver threatening an offer sheet to spark a deal. It's logical, but quite farfetched in my book. I think it's an instance where a team is desparate for top 6 talent and therefor put more emphasis on the reward part than the risk part. And that's why he's a Canuck.


Last edited by SmokeyClause: 07-05-2008 at 11:20 AM.
SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.