HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Read Between the Lines of the new Wigge article...

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2004, 02:36 PM
guitaraholic*

vCash: 500
Read Between the Lines of the new Wigge article...

http://www.stlblues.com/columnists/lw_home.html

conclusions?

1. Demitra's gone.

2. Hull and Conroy appear to actually be on the Blues UFA radar.

3. Pleau openly talks about lack of goalscoring and he appears set on addressing it in the offseason. I sort of expect them to trade Demitra for a draft pick and use his, Mac and Mell's money on UFA signings.

4. Pleau claims nobody at the Worcester level is NHL ready.... which is interesting... then he seems to fudge a bit and suggests that a kid or two might make the jump... then reverses that a bit and says he has learned that kids can't be rushed.... okay, thanks, Larry.

Hope he has a great summer

Old
06-04-2004, 02:52 PM
degroat*

There's definately some interesting stuff in there. Not that it's not a possibility, but I didn't really get 'Demitra's gone' out of the article.. just that that would be a way of cutting payroll. As far as Hull... there's no doubt in my mind that he'll be offered a contract by the Blues. Whether he chooses Dallas or us is another story. .

I'm not sure I like the idea of signing Conroy. Not that I dont like him... I just would rather see Cajanek on a scoring line than Conroy.

The two best possibilities to move up are, IMO, Sejna and DiSalvatore.

Old
06-04-2004, 02:59 PM
degroat*

One other thing that interested me in this article...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wigge
And that’s where we can expect to see players like Mike Glumac, who won a job in the organization with a big splurge of goals in the first week training camp last September -- and then went on to have a pretty darn good rookie season at Worcester.

"He showed us some pretty good offensive instincts," Pleau said. "He showed good hands, good size in the traffic areas with a good touch around the net."
This makes me believe that he is Blues property... otherwise he's just advertising him for other teams.

Old
06-04-2004, 03:22 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
One other thing that interested me in this article...

This makes me believe that he is Blues property... otherwise he's just advertising him for other teams.

agree with both your posts, Stich. I got the 'Demitra's gone' thing from the line about the Blues liking Cajanek centering Tkachuk... that and I'm probably just looking for something that confirms my belief that Pleau has had enough of Demitra and will move him. I hope we do better than a 2nd round pick in this years draft, ala Stillman last year, but w/Demitra's contract and RFA status....

Disalvatore looks like an interesting acquisition...

Old
06-04-2004, 03:40 PM
Irish Blues

I can see "Demitra is gone" as well, but it's also possible Demitra is on the other wing. Not likely from everything I've seen and heard, but possible.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hull back in St. Louis on a line with Weight. As much as I like the idea of Conroy coming back, I can't see him going from a top line, 70-point scorer who gets to be creative to his old role here in St. Louis - a defense-first, offensively-challenged centering role with offensively-impaired wingers.

Don't expect a trade for Demitra to bring back huge rewards. IMO at best he'd move us some some in the 1st round and get a 3rd/4th round pick back as well but would likely cost us future considerations depending on whether or not he signs with the team we trade him to. I think it's more likely he gets dealt in a pre-arranged move where the team acquiring him has talked to him and agreed on a contract (all with our consent, of course) or the Blues go to arbitration with him, find out what he gets awarded, and if it's not in the Blues favor they walk away with the right to later match a la Boston's move with Bryan Berard this past offseason.

Then again, I'm all for stockpiling picks for the '05 draft...

Old
06-04-2004, 03:42 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic

conclusions?

1. Demitra's gone.

3. Pleau openly talks about lack of goalscoring and he appears set on addressing it in the offseason. I sort of expect them to trade Demitra for a draft pick and use his, Mac and Mell's money on UFA signings.

4. Pleau claims nobody at the Worcester level is NHL ready.... which is interesting... then he seems to fudge a bit and suggests that a kid or two might make the jump... then reverses that a bit and says he has learned that kids can't be rushed.... okay, thanks, Larry.

1) I did not get that from the article.

2) Hull probably is on the Blues radar, Conroy I'm not sure about. You have to have a really imaginative mind to put him on the Blues radar from what is said in the article.

3) I've said it before, from all the UFA's we have retiring and possibly not resigning there is over 20 million coming off the budget next year(and that does figure keeping Weight, Pronger, Demitra, Walt and Osgood at their current salaries(note: I'm working on a comprehensive list of all FA's that will include their position, vitals(height, weight, handedness), salary(all found at NHPLA.com), former team and point totals(I was going to add +/- but that would take too long) from this past year. I should have it done by next week and will post it when completed)). There isn't really any need to trade Demitra to lower salary. If we want to sign a few guys we have more than enough money to do so. There are also more than enough bargains out there to complete a lineup that will reduce the teams age and increase the depth.

4) Pleau said that there is nobody in Worcester that he will GIVE a roster spot to. That does not mean that somebody down there can't EARN a spot out of camp. There is a slight difference between the two statemnts. Glumac, Sejna and Skohtov sound like may have a chance at making the team if they have good enough camps and get stronger over the offseason.

It shouldn't be that hard for Pleau this year with all the players on the UFA market. The hardest part will be setting a team CAP for next year. I've heard 50 mil and I've heard 45 mil as the possible Cap's for us next year. Either way we should have a better team(and more balanced offense) next season.

Old
06-04-2004, 03:49 PM
guitaraholic*

1. I simply believe Demitra is gone. Just my belief.

2. Conroy and Hull are referred to as possible signings in the same context, same sentence, essentially. How you can figure Hull is more of an option than Connie I don't know, based on that. Hull would fit in well with Weight so I see your point there... and it is a reasonable assertion that Connie would be relegated to 3rd line duty in St.Louis so perhaps you're right about him not being a real option.

3. Pleau doesn't seem the type to let a player like Shkohtov jump from Jr's to the NHL... I doubt you'll see that happen even once during Pleau's tenure as GM. The Sejna failure will only reenforce the need for a year of minor pro experience in Pleau's mind, I think.

Old
06-04-2004, 04:13 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
2. Conroy and Hull are referred to as possible signings in the same context, same sentence, essentially. How you can figure Hull is more of an option than Connie I don't know, based on that. Hull would fit in well with Weight so I see your point there... and it is a reasonable assertion that Connie would be relegated to 3rd line duty in St.Louis so perhaps you're right about him not being a real option.
All it said was that there were rumblings about Conroy possibly returning. Considering the team as it stands Conroy would be the third line center and I don't see HIM agreeing to that. IMO Pleau might call him but I don't see him signing here(unless Weight and/or Cajanek are not in the picture for next year(Demitra is a WINGER, not a center, I could see Conroy replacing Cajanek on the top line but not not Demitra. IMO Kitchen would like to have Walt and Demitra flanking a 2-way center like Cajanek, Sillinger or Conroy)). So, while there may be RUMORS about Conroy returning, I don't think it will turn into reality.

Hull would be a realitvely cheap 2nd line winger. He is still an effective goal scorer and might fit in with Weight(nobody else has fit with Weight so we can't say with certainty that Hull will) so I could definatley see that as an option. Also, Hull would have more financial implications than Conroy would. I do think Hull is a more posssible signee than Conroy. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see Conroy back(IMO he WOULD go well with Walt and Demitra) I simply don't think it is likely and the article didn't imply anything in that regard.

Quote:
3. Pleau doesn't seem the type to let a player like Shkohtov jump from Jr's to the NHL... I doubt you'll see that happen even once during Pleau's tenure as GM. The Sejna failure will only reenforce the need for a year of minor pro experience in Pleau's mind, I think.
Like I said, he will not be given a spot but he could possibly EARN a spot. Skohtov is one of the few prospects we have that can play in the NHL with very little change to his game. If he gets stronger this offseason he MAY have a chance at making the team next year. I don't think it is likely(especially if we do end up signing Hull) but it is a remote possibility. IMO Sejna and Glumac have real chances at making the team next year but they will need to really impress in camp to make it. Skohtov will have to be incredible in camp to make the team. I don't think he can do it yet.

Quote:
1. I simply believe Demitra is gone. Just my belief.
Again, the article did not suggest that. In fact, the article barely mentions Demitra. It is mostly about spreading out the offense and how the Blues might do that. To me it sounds more like Pleau will seek to ADD offensive players rather than deal them away or let them walk via free agency. I'm kinda shocked that it didn't mention Drake or Sillinger's futures with the team. IMO those two are the big question marks for next year(if we get them we can have a third line with offensive ability, if we don't we're looking at 2 scoring lines and 2 mucking lines), much moreso than Demitra, Weight or Tkachuk in any case.

Old
06-04-2004, 04:17 PM

Glumac still isn't Blues property but the IceCats have exersized their option for next season on him...so he's still on the Blues protected list and can't be signed by another NHL organization.

Old
06-05-2004, 05:44 AM
Felix

Send a message via ICQ to Felix
Quote:

conclusions?

1. Demitra's gone.

1. I do not see any need any reason to trade our star players especially when Blues are not going to get equal return.
2. If the aim is to reduce payroll I'd try to do it step by step without any rushing. With the uncertainty of the next CBA star players are cheap this summer. But I pretty much convinced that their trade value would raise before next years trade deadline. Therefore I'd qualify Demitra to one year contract and make any decisions during the next season. Additionally I'd tru to sign players like Konowalchuk and Rucinsky to complement our offense since Blues free up to 10 mil due to retirements of Mac, Mel and releasing some UFAs. Id there is no season next year - fine: we'd have to pay no money at all.
3. Kitchen had no time to put his mark on the team. I'd like to give him that opportunity that Q had for several years. Maybe some players would flourish under his coaching? Who knows...
4. I can't see Conroy a Blues again. Reason - Bles do not have any need to pay him that amount of money he'd want. As of Hull: at 2-2.5 mil I could live with that.
4. Overall: I'd prefer 1-2 years of mediocrity with Walt, Weight, Demitra and then when their contracts expire trading them for some decent return to a lot more years of mediocrity when giving them up now for nothing.

Old
06-05-2004, 06:47 AM
Curved Blade
Awaiting Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
Glumac still isn't Blues property but the IceCats have exersized their option for next season on him...so he's still on the Blues protected list and can't be signed by another NHL organization.

Can you please explain how Glumac can be signed by the IceCats, on the Blues protected list so NO other NHL team can sign him and yet NOT be Blues property? If the Blues decide he should move up to them, do they have to sign him to another contract? .... I thought the option the IceCats picked up actually is a 2-way with the NHL.

Old
06-05-2004, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curved Blade
Can you please explain how Glumac can be signed by the IceCats, on the Blues protected list so NO other NHL team can sign him and yet NOT be Blues property?
It's simple, he doesn't have a contract with the Blues. His contract is an AHL deal with Worcester. The Blues can place players that they do not have a contract with that are playing in Worcester on the protected list so other NHL teams can't sign them. That list isn't released but it's a safe bet that every player in Worcester that wasn't under a Blues contract was on it.

Quote:
If the Blues decide he should move up to them, do they have to sign him to another contract? .... I thought the option the IceCats picked up actually is a 2-way with the NHL.
The Blues would need to sign Glumac to have him play for the Blues.

The only "two way" deal that the IceCats could possible have with a player would involve the AHL and ECHL (or another minor pro league)--the IceCats can't offer a player an NHL deal.

Just to point out an example of all this...Steve McLaren was in the same situation last year, a Worcester contract and protected by the Blues. When Low got hurt McLaren had to be signed by StL to play.

Old
06-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:

conclusions?

1. Demitra's gone.

I didn't quite read that the same way you did.

1. Demitra's future wasn't mentioned. But lack of scoring was, so my take was that we will be adding, not dropping our best offensive player. Cajanek was mentioned as being the top line Center. But w/ Conroy on the radar, my take on it is Weight will be gone. (Would free up more $$ then bouncing Demitra).

4. He is motivating the kids to kick butt in the 12 Weeks of hell. Keep in mind that they have just finished a season consisting of 80+ games and may not be looking forward to heading into camp right away.

I did note that he mentioned Zakharov, so who knows.

I hope Pohl gets a chance w/ the big team next year.

Old
06-07-2004, 04:26 PM
c-carp

Quote:

conclusions?

1. Demitra's gone.

havent read the article yet, I am going to do that when I am done here.

Based on what the thread starter posted, I can say that I will be thrilled if Demitra is gone. In heinsight they should have moved him last summer. I would love it if Hull and Conroy came back, although I dont se why in hell Conroy would want to leave Calgary at this point. Regardless of the outcome of the game tonight.

On the actuall trade of Demitra, I would hope that there was an NHL calibre player coming back with the pick unless its a pick that allows you to Get a high pick in the Draft and I dont think Demitra alone would fetch that.

On Pleau, that is how he usually answers questions, I trust him and his staff so it doesnt really worry me.

Closed Thread