HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Youngest team in the league next year?

Old
07-04-2008, 09:30 PM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Youngest team in the league next year?

We only have 5 players who will be 30 years or older when the season starts. Rosy turns 30 on September 3rd. Vally and Drury turn 31 and 32, respectively, on August 20th. Redden just turned 31 and Naslund will be 35 on July 30th.

Zherdev, Dubi, Dawes, Staal, Callahan, Fritsche, Korpikoski, Sangs and Byers are all 23 or younger.

Hollweg, Prucha, Sjostrom, Orr, Voros, Moore, Girardi, Potter, Pock and Hank will all be 27 or younger to begin the season.

Kalinin, Gomez and Betts will all be 28, Rissmiller and Mara 29 to start the season.

The 5 30+ players are a lock for the team as are Kalinin, Gomez, Betts and Mara. That leaves 14 spots for players 27 and younger. 13 spots if Rissmiller makes the team.

Unless we sign someone, we will probably be the youngest team in the league next year. Of course, if we sign Shanny, then we'll be the oldest team in the league

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
We definitely won't be the youngest. Chicago has over a year average age less. But we've surprisingly became the 4th youngest in the league as of right now.

http://nhlnumbers.com/compare.php?se...eage&order=ASC

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:46 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
We definitely won't be the youngest. Chicago has over a year average age less. But we've surprisingly became the 4th youngest in the league as of right now.

It's kind of funny how NJ and the Islanders are in the bottom five of that list and yet you still see their fans accusing us of having a team full of aging vets all the time.

/End of rant

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:12 PM
GAGLine

Quote:

Yeah, I was looking at that, but I don't know how up to date it is. They still list Shanny as being on the team. Did we resign him while I wasn't looking? lol

Edit: They've still got Struds and Malik for some reason as well, even though they have all our new players. I guess since they were on the team last year and haven't been signed by anyone, they are still listed as on our team. I assume they are skewing our average age.

Old
07-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Yeah, I was looking at that, but I don't know how up to date it is. They still list Shanny as being on the team. Did we resign him while I wasn't looking? lol
All players who haven't signed elsewhere remain on their previous teams roster until that changes. Every team probably has a few players artificially bringing it's true average for next season up or down, so it balances out anyway.

Old
07-04-2008, 11:15 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Pretty sure the Phoenix Coyotes and Chicago Blackhawks have us trumped in that category.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:22 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
All players who haven't signed elsewhere remain on their previous teams roster until that changes. Every team probably has a few players artificially bringing it's true average for next season up or down, so it balances out anyway.
True. Either way, it's a very young team.

Old
07-04-2008, 11:32 PM
battlerex99

Remove Malik and Shanny from their numbers and you have an average age of 26.348 years, which would be the youngest in the league.

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I like the fact that we're getting younger. If you manage the payroll correctly you could keep your team together for a long time.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Forever Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Edit: They've still got Struds and Malik for some reason as well, even though they have all our new players. I guess since they were on the team last year and haven't been signed by anyone, they are still listed as on our team. I assume they are skewing our average age.
No, they only factor in the players under contract. Malik and Strudwick are just on the list because they haven't signed anywhere else.

The age will go down even more when Dawes, Fritsche, and Sjostrom are signed.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:49 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerex99 View Post
Remove Malik and Shanny from their numbers and you have an average age of 26.348 years, which would be the youngest in the league.
but for PHX u have to add in Tikhonov and Boedker and who knows who else.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:57 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save By Richter View Post
No, they only factor in the players under contract. Malik and Strudwick are just on the list because they haven't signed anywhere else.

The age will go down even more when Dawes, Fritsche, and Sjostrom are signed.

Where exactly does Sjostrom fit on this team?

TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Out of the 21 players that I anticipate us carrying into the season, they average 26.428. However I also just did my own calculations for Chicago and they'll actually average 25.666, going by the line-up I found on their board.

Old
07-05-2008, 12:20 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
It's kind of funny how NJ and the Islanders are in the bottom five of that list and yet you still see their fans accusing us of having a team full of aging vets all the time.

/End of rant
Force of habit. We've been an old team since time immemorial. All my years as a fan we have been old.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Forever Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFPatUSC View Post
He'll be in the bottom six somewhere (maybe second line if he can put it all together).

Even though they qualified him, they'd still like to sign him to a two year deal, so they obviously want him on the team. He has speed, he plays defense, he's killed penalties in the past, and he plays physical. He fits what this team is trying to build.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Celestial Black

Nope. Not with teams like Chicago, LA, and Phoenix.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 02:06 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFPatUSC View Post
3rd line

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 02:40 AM
2Leetch_94

The point is that we've got a lot of potential and one of the younger teams in the entire league. If we don't win the cup next season, we won't have to worry about missing our *only* chance when half the roster retires.

We've got a good core to work around, and that won't be leaving anytime soon.

It should be a fun team to watch for a very long time.

2Leetch_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Leetch_94 View Post
The point is that we've got a lot of potential and one of the younger teams in the entire league. If we don't win the cup next season, we won't have to worry about missing our *only* chance when half the roster retires.

We've got a good core to work around, and that won't be leaving anytime soon.

It should be a fun team to watch for a very long time.
And we're getting what some consider our best prospects (Anismov, Cherepanov, Sanguinetti, Korpikoski, Sauer, etc.) in the future.

The thing I like about our recent signings is that for the most part, it gives us opportunity to move prospects up when the veterans contracts are up. Naslund will only be here two years, Kalinen's a stop-gap on defense until a guy like Sanguinetti is ready to play in the NHL. I wish we didn't sign Rissimiller or Voros so that guys like Korpikoski and Byers would have room on the team, though...

Broadway Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:00 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Brett View Post
And we're getting what some consider our best prospects (Anismov, Cherepanov, Sanguinetti, Korpikoski, Sauer, etc.) in the future.

The thing I like about our recent signings is that for the most part, it gives us opportunity to move prospects up when the veterans contracts are up. Naslund will only be here two years, Kalinen's a stop-gap on defense until a guy like Sanguinetti is ready to play in the NHL. I wish we didn't sign Rissimiller or Voros so that guys like Korpikoski and Byers would have room on the team, though...
Same. Signing those guys still boggle me. Out of Hollweg Orr and those 2, only 2 of them should be on the roster. Anymore and it wouid put shame to the players that deserve to make the roster.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
Same. Signing those guys still boggle me. Out of Hollweg Orr and those 2, only 2 of them should be on the roster. Anymore and it wouid put shame to the players that deserve to make the roster.
I just don't understand why you make those signings when you have better guys in the system. I feel like we have enough good prospects in our system to compete against each other for a spot, and not have to compete against a guy who's already ahead of them because of their contract status. Of course, guys like Byers and Korpikoski can flat out suck in camp, but I'd much rather have the best prospects play than these veterans. These guys can end up becoming not better than the guys we signed, but we should have confidence in them to be able to contribute to this team.

I'm glad to see someone else agrees with me.

Broadway Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:39 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Brett View Post
I just don't understand why you make those signings when you have better guys in the system. I feel like we have enough good prospects in our system to compete against each other for a spot, and not have to compete against a guy who's already ahead of them because of their contract status. Of course, guys like Byers and Korpikoski can flat out suck in camp, but I'd much rather have the best prospects play than these veterans. These guys can end up becoming not better than the guys we signed, but we should have confidence in them to be able to contribute to this team.

I'm glad to see someone else agrees with me.
Because they aren't going to just hand a starting job to prospects. These other players were brought in to create competition. Whoever loses will be sent down or traded. The same thing happened with Hutchinson last year. Staal won the job and Hutch was sent down.

Old
07-06-2008, 06:46 AM
free0717

What happens in Training Camp if Byers and Jessiman turn out to be better 4th line players than Voros and Rismiller? What happens in Training Camp if Korpikorski and Sjostrom are better 3rd line players than Prucha, Fristche?

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 07:07 AM
shoothepuck

Might not be the youngest team in the league, but the youth infusion is a good thing.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote