HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev should be playing with Drury

Old
07-05-2008, 11:54 AM
battlerex99

vCash: 500
Zherdev should be playing with Drury

Call me crazy, but the one constant I see in every lineup is that Zherdev is playing on Gomez's right wing. Both of these guys are puck carriers who like to go end to end and both are playmakers, and only above-average finishers. Isn't a playmaking winger exactly what Chris Drury needs? Naslund is more of the run and gun sniper that should be playing with Gomez. I'd like to see our top two lines (as is) be:

Prucha - Gomez - Naslund
Dawes - Drury - Zherdev

Keep the chemistry between Dawes and Drury and add the playmaking presence of Zherdev. Meanwhile, the Gomez line would have it's puck handler (Gomez), it's sniper (Naslund), and the scrappy guy who chips in goals (Prucha). I think these lines make much more sense.

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:58 AM
broadwayblue

man are we going to be a small, soft team.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:59 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Not if the Rangers play the up tempo style they say they will play. Then it would be perfect.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Naslund is a much better Left winger than Right winger.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:01 PM
GAGLine

I don't know why everyone insists on putting Prucha in the top 6. If he plays at all, it will be on the 3rd line.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:01 PM
battlerex99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
Naslund is a much better Left winger than Right winger.
Then:
Naslund - Gomez - Prucha

Prucha plays both.

Old
07-05-2008, 12:04 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Last year I always thought Gomez and Dawes had lots of chemistry together. I would try to keep them on the same line. Maybe something like Naslund-Gomez-Dawes...Fritsche/Dubinsky(whichever isnt playing 3rd line center)-Drury-Zherdev

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I'd really like to see something like:

Naslund - Gomez - Bertuzzi
Zherdev - Dubi - Drury
Korpikoski - Fritsche - Dawes
etc.. etc..

However, I'm almost positive we'll see Naslund - Gomez - Zherdev as our top line.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:55 PM
DutchShamrock

If Naslund and Zherdev are on the same line, who is going to play with our other $7m center. You can't build a line up by simply starting with the 1st and working your way down, every decision impacts the other 3 lines.

Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev reminds me of the Czech posse line from before the lockout. A good line, but not good enough to beat the top line from the other team. If we are going to go with this roster, we have to spread the wealth like Buffalo to out match the other team with depth. It does us no good to have a 1st line that isn't better than their 1st, a 2nd that isn't better than their's and so on.

People are putting Dawes on the first not because he is a 1st line winger, but because he has chemistry with Gomez. Then you have Naslund, a winger that justifies the signing of Drury in some sense. Our next best RWs at this point are Callahan and Prucha, so until we sign someone else we should try both there.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:55 PM
battlerex99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR fan 2 View Post
Last year I always thought Gomez and Dawes had lots of chemistry together. I would try to keep them on the same line. Maybe something like Naslund-Gomez-Dawes...Fritsche/Dubinsky(whichever isnt playing 3rd line center)-Drury-Zherdev
Dawes - Drury - Callahan was our third line for a good deal of last year. Dawes barely ever played with Gomez to my knowledge. Gomez always played with Avery and Shanny.

Lines last year were:
Straka - Dubi - Jagr
Avery - Gomez - Shanahan
Dawes - Drury - Callahan
Orr/Hollweg - Betts - Sjostrom

Last edited by battlerex99: 07-05-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old
07-05-2008, 01:03 PM
TheZherdev

Guys im not even sure Renney even knows what lines hes going to start off with in training camp. But thats why we have camp. That is why we have pre season games. Getting the line combos right will take its time. remember last summer gomez and jagr? OMG THEY WILL BE AWESOME TOGETHER!!! Look the positive thing is now we have a team with a lot of interchangeable parts. Finding the right combos in my mind wont be as difficult as it was last year. But to predict the lines now is just ridiculous.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:04 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd really like to see something like:

Naslund - Gomez - Bertuzzi
Zherdev - Dubi - Drury
Korpikoski - Fritsche - Dawes
etc.. etc..

However, I'm almost positive we'll see Naslund - Gomez - Zherdev as our top line.
I don't want Bertuzzi, and Drury played LW in Colorado, while Zherdev is primarily a RW.

I do agree that Naslund and Zherdev should be on different lines. As for Dawes, he should either be in the top six, or his should be moved to get a better top six forward.

Dubi should be this team's 2nd line center. I don't care if Drury's making $7 million; being named team captain will justify the $7 million, along with the proper move to LW. It's was already discussed by Gomez and Drury, (Brooks alluded to it in one of his articles), so I expect the move to take place regardless. Plus, Dubi already showed he can play with offensive players. Put either Naslund, a vet player, or Zherdev, (played with Peca as his center), and you add the grit so many feel this team is lacking in the top six.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:05 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
Guys im not even sure Renney even knows what lines hes going to start off with in training camp. But thats why we have camp. That is why we have pre season games. Getting the line combos right will take its time. remember last summer gomez and jagr? OMG THEY WILL BE AWESOME TOGETHER!!! Look the positive thing is now we have a team with a lot of interchangeable parts. Finding the right combos in my mind wont be as difficult as it was last year. But to predict the lines now is just ridiculous.

I'm willing to bet we won't know our lines until a month into the regular season.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:10 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I don't want Bertuzzi, and Drury played LW in Colorado, while Zherdev is primarily a RW.

I do agree that Naslund and Zherdev should be on different lines. As for Dawes, he should either be in the top six, or his should be moved to get a better top six forward.

Dubi should be this team's 2nd line center. I don't care if Drury's making $7 million; being named team captain will justify the $7 million, along with the proper move to LW. It's was already discussed by Gomez and Drury, (Brooks alluded to it in one of his articles), so I expect the move to take place regardless. Plus, Dubi already showed he can play with offensive players. Put either Naslund, a vet player, or Zherdev, (played with Peca as his center), and you add the grit so many feel this team is lacking in the top six.
I believethat drury said hed move to wing was when the rangers were still in the Sundin hunt as having drury as a 3rd line center, dubinsky as the 4th line center and betts not on the roster was something everyone wanted to avoid.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:14 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:

Yeah, but the talk was about Drury and Gomez on the same line which puts Naslund on the 2nd and as you said, Dawes off the team. If there's nothing wrong with Drury playing on the 3rd (in Renney's eyes), there should be no problem for a 2nd year player centering the 3rd this year. Dubinsky and Callahan would be a great energy line. Plus, Drury on the wing and Dubinksy on the 2nd opens the 3rd line center spot. Who plays there? We can't assume Anisimov until after camp. I don't believe Fritsche and Betts will be on the same team. Rissmiller is a wing, Sjostrom is better at wing. Korpikoski can do it but is better at wing. I think forcing Dubinsky into that 2nd line weakens the rest of the lineup too much.

Old
07-05-2008, 01:26 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Yeah, but the talk was about Drury and Gomez on the same line which puts Naslund on the 2nd and as you said, Dawes off the team. If there's nothing wrong with Drury playing on the 3rd (in Renney's eyes), there should be no problem for a 2nd year player centering the 3rd this year. Dubinsky and Callahan would be a great energy line. Plus, Drury on the wing and Dubinksy on the 2nd opens the 3rd line center spot. Who plays there? We can't assume Anisimov until after camp. I don't believe Fritsche and Betts will be on the same team. Rissmiller is a wing, Sjostrom is better at wing. Korpikoski can do it but is better at wing. I think forcing Dubinsky into that 2nd line weakens the rest of the lineup too much.

But we can assume that Anisimov is a possible option, can we not? We sat here last summer contemplating whether or not the Rangers should sign Peca, because we weren't sure if Dubinsky was ready. The option was left open in case Dubsinky showed he was ready. Give AA the opportunity to win the spot, and if he needs the time in Hartford, so be it. Getting a 3rd line center costs less then picking up a top six forward. Besides, I believe you alluded to what I have said is that, this team is primed to make another deal similar to the Zherdev deal, (quantity for quality, is how you stated it.) IMO, that means using someone like Dawes, plus Callahan, (maybe even a Byers or Potter), to a team with a pending RFA that they are having trouble signing. At the moment, I'm not sure of who that might be, but, then again, I never saw Zherdev as an option when everyone knew we made a young D-man available to add a forward.

And, again, people continue to misconstrue what Fritsche is, even though every report I've read or heard from CBJ fans is that he is weak at center, and is better suited for RW. Fritsche is not a threat or replacement for Betts; he is a more talented option than Callahan. If Fritsche is here, it means that Callahan will not be on the same team. People are worried about not having Drury for faceoffs, and then suggest that Fritsche will replace Betts...I don't understand.

Old
07-05-2008, 01:29 PM
TheHotRock

we're looking at a lot of 2-1 games next year, folks

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
The top two lines only. Defense and the bottom 6 will be fine. Hopefully Staal, Reds, etc will defend our top 2 lines when they are on the ice.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:34 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
we're looking at a lot of 2-1 games next year, folks
Those are the best games...its where hard work shows and pays off.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:37 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
But we can assume that Anisimov is a possible option, can we not? We sat here last summer contemplating whether or not the Rangers should sign Peca, because we weren't sure if Dubinsky was ready. The option was left open in case Dubsinky showed he was ready. Give AA the opportunity to win the spot, and if he needs the time in Hartford, so be it. Getting a 3rd line center costs less then picking up a top six forward. Besides, I believe you alluded to what I have said is that, this team is primed to make another deal similar to the Zherdev deal, (quantity for quality, is how you stated it.) IMO, that means using someone like Dawes, plus Callahan, (maybe even a Byers or Potter), to a team with a pending RFA that they are having trouble signing. At the moment, I'm not sure of who that might be, but, then again, I never saw Zherdev as an option when everyone knew we made a young D-man available to add a forward.

And, again, people continue to misconstrue what Fritsche is, even though every report I've read or heard from CBJ fans is that he is weak at center, and is better suited for RW. Fritsche is not a threat or replacement for Betts; he is a more talented option than Callahan. If Fritsche is here, it means that Callahan will not be on the same team. People are worried about not having Drury for faceoffs, and then suggest that Fritsche will replace Betts...I don't understand.
I'm not saying Frtsche is a Betts replacement, I think he's a 4th line center replacement if you get the difference. Besides, I think Fritsche is the one traded. I tend to think Callahan has better upside than Fritsche, I hope he's not moved in this case. Mybe he's an Orr replacement.

And you're right about Anisimov. He can make it. I mean, it is silly to project lines right now but if we're going to do it we all may as well make a guess, I'm guessing that he needs one more year in Hartford, just to acclimate to NA better.

Old
07-05-2008, 01:42 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I'm not saying Frtsche is a Betts replacement, I think he's a 4th line center replacement if you get the difference. Besides, I think Fritsche is the one traded. I tend to think Callahan has better upside than Fritsche, I hope he's not moved in this case. Mybe he's an Orr replacement.

And you're right about Anisimov. He can make it. I mean, it is silly to project lines right now but if we're going to do it we all may as well make a guess, I'm guessing that he needs one more year in Hartford, just to acclimate to NA better.
This is where we disagree...I see Callahan as a quality 3rd liner. Fritsche, IMO, is a 3rd liner with 2nd line upside, something I don't see in Callahan.

And, regarding AA, my instinct tells me that, even if he does not make the team out of camp, he won't spend the whole year in Hartford.

Old
07-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Pavel Datsyuk
Henrik Zetterberg
Jiri Hudler
Mikael Samuelsson
Valtteri Filppula
Niklas Kronwall
Brian Rafalski
Darren Helm

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
This is where we disagree...I see Callahan as a quality 3rd liner. Fritsche, IMO, is a 3rd liner with 2nd line upside, something I don't see in Callahan.

And, regarding AA, my instinct tells me that, even if he does not make the team out of camp, he won't spend the whole year in Hartford.
I think the line of Fritsche - Dubi - Cally would be a brutal third line. They are all top-shelf third liners with definite second line potential. They have the size, the speed, the defense, the offense and the smarts.

If they can work together, we'd have the best or one of the top 3 third lines in the NHL for the next 10 years.

Now I know a lot of people will start yelling at me that Dubi and maybe others are better than third line players. But that's my point - we would have a third line that can play 15-17 minutes a game and produce as well as most teams' second lines.

On top 2 lines, we'd have Drury, Gomez, Zherdev, Naslund and then Cherry, Dawes or Prucha (probably Dawes, but who knows), Anisimov or Stepan or Grachev or Korps, etc.

Presuming that either Dawes or Prucha becomes a top-6 forward, as well as one out of Korps/Anisimov/Stepan/Grachev, our top 6 will be very, very solid allowing us to create this super-third line.

We would roll 3 very high quality lines with the remaining 8-10 minutes to a quality 4th line with guys like Byers, Moore, Voros providing energy, toughness and yes even an occasional goal.

Last edited by Beacon: 07-05-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Pavel Datsyuk
Henrik Zetterberg
Jiri Hudler
Mikael Samuelsson
Valtteri Filppula
Niklas Kronwall
Brian Rafalski
Darren Helm
yeah the only tough guy on Detroit last year was Kronwall and McCarty. And McCarty was a 4th liner.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerex99 View Post
Call me crazy, but the one constant I see in every lineup is that Zherdev is playing on Gomez's right wing. Both of these guys are puck carriers who like to go end to end and both are playmakers, and only above-average finishers. Isn't a playmaking winger exactly what Chris Drury needs? Naslund is more of the run and gun sniper that should be playing with Gomez. I'd like to see our top two lines (as is) be:

Prucha - Gomez - Naslund
Dawes - Drury - Zherdev

Keep the chemistry between Dawes and Drury and add the playmaking presence of Zherdev. Meanwhile, the Gomez line would have it's puck handler (Gomez), it's sniper (Naslund), and the scrappy guy who chips in goals (Prucha). I think these lines make much more sense.
I don't see prucha on the top line, maybe second line but no way a top line lw

Drury-gomez-zherdev
naslund-dubinsky-dawes
korpedo-fritsche-callahan
byers/voros-betts-sjostrom

i don't want dubinsky's growth to be stunted since jagr and straka are gone, play him with two guys who can score goals thus keeping dubi as a 2nd line center as opposed to shifting him from first line to third line

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote