HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Corey Locke

Old
07-05-2008, 12:53 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Corey Locke

First of all; I'd rather sign Sundin, Jason Williams, or Fedorov.. But this is just one of many options we have going into next season without signing centre.

Alright, so everyone knows the story with Corey Locke. One of the most amazing season in OHL history (63 goals, 88 assists, 151 points). But his big knock was his size and skating. Being just 5'9 and 175 LBS and not being a great skater (he's good, just not lightning fast).. will always be a downfall.

However, I'm sure a few people can back me here.. Corey Locke was the 2nd most important piece to the Calder Cup winning Hamilton Bulldogs a few seasons ago. Scoring 22 PTS .. no one was even close to him in terms of scoring (Jancevski at 14 and four others at 13).

Anyway, Locke has been a huge part of developing our young players (Kostitsyn, Kostitsyn, Higgins, Lapierre, Carle, Valentenko, etc, etc, etc). He's shown players that sometimes you have to pay your dues to make it where you want to go. And everyone knows Locke has paid his dues for a chance.

I think it's about time to give him a shot. Sure he's a high risk to bust, but there is also a chance he could be a perfectly acceptable NHL player.. but we'll never know without giving him a shot.

I'm much more confident going with 3 offensive lines, then just two. And while we don't know how Locke will turn out, I think we owe it to him to give him a chance.

Of course, he'll have to prove himself at Training Camp..

A. Kostitsyn - T. Plekanec - A. Kovalev
A. Tanguay - S. Koivu - G. Latendresse
C. Higgins - C. Locke - S. Kostitsyn
M. Lapierre - K. Chipchura - G. Laraque
T. Kostopoulos, S. Begin

A. Markov - M. Komisarek
R. Hamrlik - R. O'Byrne
F. Bouillon - J. Gorges
P. Brisebois

C. Price
J. Halak

This isn't my #1 plan or idea.. it's just an option and thought it'd be good for discussion.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 07-05-2008 at 01:03 PM.
One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

too small, too slow, too weak.

i hope he's not a last resort... hopefully you guys pick up a good #3 or a great #2.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poony McBagelpoon View Post
too small, too slow, too weak.
i thought you were talking about your team

Locke needs to show what he can do during those exhibition games...

Maxwell could suprise us

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceee View Post
i thought you were talking about your team
is he not a poor skater with a very small physique?

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:01 PM
le_sean

Locke is small, can't skate and is a career AHLer. He was dreadful in his one game with the Habs. Kostopoulos and Begin are better options.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:02 PM
timkerr

that would make three small centers if there was only two or one he would get a chance

timkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:02 PM
PolishHab21

gainey said his 4 centers are koivu,pleks,chips and lappy

...he said it in the PD but if sundin comes then that is a diffrent story

PolishHab21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:03 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Did you miss the Blackhawks game last year?

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:07 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Locke is small, can't skate and is a career AHLer. He was dreadful in his one game with the Habs. Kostopoulos and Begin are better options.
Locke was also given a role where he couldn't succeed.

I love, love, love TKO. He's a great guy and a good team player. But it's not about them being good options for the fourth line or not.

It's whether going with 3 offensive lines instead of 2 is a good option. With two, I think we lose some our of 'spunk'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkerr View Post
that would make three small centers if there was only two or one he would get a chance
Yeah, I agree we need a big centre.

But the fact is, none of our centres (either on the team or in development) are that big. Chipchura is our biggest.. and he's still under 210, as far as I remember.

Old
07-05-2008, 01:08 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

.... nah

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:09 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishHab21 View Post

...he said it in the PD but if sundin comes then that is a diffrent story
Yeah, I know.. which why I said it was just an option.

But I hate thinking that Lapierre is going to be our third line centre in the year that I thought we could really contend.

Truthfully, Locke doesn't make me anymore confident.. except the fact that I prefer 3 offensive lines than 2.

Old
07-05-2008, 01:10 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Didnt he sign in Europe?

Old
07-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Didnt he sign in Europe?
That's what I thought, but then I found this on the TSN transaction page.

Corey Locke 26-Jun-08 Montreal Canadiens tendered a qualifying offer.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:23 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
That's what I thought, but then I found this on the TSN transaction page.

Corey Locke 26-Jun-08 Montreal Canadiens tendered a qualifying offer.
It was speculated he might sign, but he hasn't.

Old
07-05-2008, 01:35 PM
revin5*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishHab21 View Post
LIAR! Don't put words into Gainey's mouth! He said his 4 centers are koivu,pleks,lappy, and chips.

revin5* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:40 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by revin5 View Post
LIAR! Don't put words into Gainey's mouth! He said his 4 centers are koivu,pleks,lappy, and chips.
Lol.

Old
07-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

IMO, Locke is an AHL'er. He's way too slow and weak for the big leagues. Yes he does rack up points in the ahl, but those stats mean next to nothing when you step in the NHL.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:49 PM
PolishHab21

Quote:
Originally Posted by revin5 View Post
euuh ...same thing am not putting them in a particular order

PolishHab21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Qui Gon Dave

This is a little like the Grabovski situation IMO (cue the comments about Grabs taking that flight and Locke missing his to play against the Rangers, etc...). Pending a persons views, you can make a case for either of them to have a shot on an NHL team next year, but it doesn't look like there is room for either of them in Montreal.

So the discussion could be split into two parts: whether Locke could help the Habs and whether he can help any other NHL team.

I don't think he can help the Habs as a main part of the team, maybe as a callup for injury cover. His strengths as a player are based around his offensive game. I cannot see him taking a spot away from Koivu or Plekanec. Which leaves the bottom six, which most likely means he would have to play a role that he isn't so suited for. Those roles can be filled more adequately by Chipchura and Lapierre. If we end up signing Sundin (or someone else at centre) then I really don't see much hope for him with us.

Now, could he help someone else out? Potentially. He still isn't a cert for any NHL team, but if someone were to give him an opportunity, a team looking to take a chance who don't have much skill down the middle might be tempted to try him out if he had a good camp. He'd have a lot to prove at the NHL level, but he has an outside chance, assuming that some set of circumstances led him elsewhere, outside of Montreal/Hamilton.

Just going back to the Grabovski thing (and ignoring the whole 'the room disliked him' talk) I think he could have helped the Habs next year if we don't sign another centre. He has a skillset which fits into the approach of the team (speed, skill, puck control) better than the skillset Locke possesses. If we had both, I'd still be tempted to give Grabs a shot, but I'm not sure Locke can help us enough to take the time to find out. Best thing for him could be to find a situation like Mikhail has, to be traded to a team that is willing to take a chance on him and invest the time required to see if he can be an NHL player. I don't see that happening here. We can afford to give some kids the time to adapt in Montreal, but they tend to bring something new/important to the team:

Halak - good young goalie, played himself out of the AHL, could be a backup and not do any harm. Could become a #1 guy in time.
O'Byrne - big, physical Dman, right handed, can fight, fits a spot on the team nicely. Still improving
Sergei Kost - Talented winger, good pace, puck control skills. Very young but already had a positive impact on the team.

Locke just doesn't strike me as having enough upside or enough immediate impact to give him any serious time on the team. I wish him the best of luck wherever his career takes him, I hope he finds a place in the NHL one day, but I don't see it being in Montreal and I don't see it being next season.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 02:22 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
This is a little like the Grabovski situation IMO (cue the comments about Grabs taking that flight and Locke missing his to play against the Rangers, etc...). Pending a persons views, you can make a case for either of them to have a shot on an NHL team next year, but it doesn't look like there is room for either of them in Montreal.
Locke missed his flight?

As far as I remember, Locke got to New York in time but his equipment did not.

As for the rest of your post. I agree with with almost the entire thing.. except I truly believe we are better off going with a Top-9 (scoring) instead of splitting it up into the normal Top-6 and Bottom-6.

I would prefer so many players to Locke.. but I do like the idea of 3 scoring lines. Plus, I think we somewhat owe Locke a chance.. He's helped with our development system so much.

PS. Thanks for taking the thread seriously and for what it is.. and not bashing me for throwing out an idea. Great post, man.

Old
07-05-2008, 02:30 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
He sucks. Forget about him.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Locke missed his flight?

As far as I remember, Locke got to New York in time but his equipment did not.

As for the rest of your post. I agree with with almost the entire thing.. except I truly believe we are better off going with a Top-9 (scoring) instead of splitting it up into the normal Top-6 and Bottom-6.

I would prefer so many players to Locke.. but I do like the idea of 3 scoring lines. Plus, I think we somewhat owe Locke a chance.. He's helped with our development system so much.

PS. Thanks for taking the thread seriously and for what it is.. and not bashing me for throwing out an idea. Great post, man.
Natey is right... Locke never missed a flight.... Baggage handling at the airport lost his equipment, and by the time he got it the first period was over.

Now that said Natey, I just don't think Locke has what it takes to be a regular on a cup winning team... Nor do i think he would bring more offence to the table than chipchura or Lappierre centring a third line with our top 6 wingers.....

I see him as having many of the problems of Grabovski without the speed of Grabovski..... I was a big, big fan of Locke for a long time (drafted, first couple AHL seasons etc...) but this last year, I've come to the conclusion that he just doesn't have what it takes to be a regular on a team with Stanley Cup aspirations.... maybe he could make it on the Thrashers, Panthers or Leafs... but I don't think he's a guy who fits in Montreal right now.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
First of all; I'd rather sign Sundin, Jason Williams, or Fedorov.. But this is just one of many options we have going into next season without signing centre.

Alright, so everyone knows the story with Corey Locke. One of the most amazing season in OHL history (63 goals, 88 assists, 151 points). But his big knock was his size and skating. Being just 5'9 and 175 LBS and not being a great skater (he's good, just not lightning fast).. will always be a downfall.

However, I'm sure a few people can back me here.. Corey Locke was the 2nd most important piece to the Calder Cup winning Hamilton Bulldogs a few seasons ago. Scoring 22 PTS .. no one was even close to him in terms of scoring (Jancevski at 14 and four others at 13).

Anyway, Locke has been a huge part of developing our young players (Kostitsyn, Kostitsyn, Higgins, Lapierre, Carle, Valentenko, etc, etc, etc). He's shown players that sometimes you have to pay your dues to make it where you want to go. And everyone knows Locke has paid his dues for a chance.

I think it's about time to give him a shot. Sure he's a high risk to bust, but there is also a chance he could be a perfectly acceptable NHL player.. but we'll never know without giving him a shot.

I'm much more confident going with 3 offensive lines, then just two. And while we don't know how Locke will turn out, I think we owe it to him to give him a chance.

Of course, he'll have to prove himself at Training Camp..

A. Kostitsyn - T. Plekanec - A. Kovalev
A. Tanguay - S. Koivu - G. Latendresse
C. Higgins - C. Locke - S. Kostitsyn
M. Lapierre - K. Chipchura - G. Laraque
T. Kostopoulos, S. Begin

A. Markov - M. Komisarek
R. Hamrlik - R. O'Byrne
F. Bouillon - J. Gorges
P. Brisebois

C. Price
J. Halak

This isn't my #1 plan or idea.. it's just an option and thought it'd be good for discussion.
If Gainey had thoughts of this kind of internal option , he would have kept Grabovski.

Corey was worth a chance with a 4th round selection , but the end is near for him and Milroy.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 02:47 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
If Gainey had thoughts of this kind of internal option , he would have kept Grabovski.

Corey was worth a chance with a 4th round selection , but the end is near for him and Milroy.
The end of NHL hopes? Maybe.. Locke just turned 24.. there are lots of players who didn't make the NHL until their late 20's.

However, even if, their hockey careers will no end for many years. Both are AHL stars and could probably make good money in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He sucks. Forget about him.
I'd love to suck at hockey and somehow make a living playing it..

Old
07-05-2008, 02:54 PM
JrHockeyFan

When we were struggling i thought Locke might get a shot a few years ago. No dice

I have seen him play in hamilton and while he is a good AHL player his game really hasn't changed all that much. He has virtually become the poster child for "great Jr but no future in the NHL" player

When he was with the 67s it was like it is with Azevedo of the Rangers this year. CHL player of the year but drafted 6th round in his second year of eligibility. you look at these kids and wonder why they get slotted. It is not just a Montreal thing

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote