HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev should be playing with Drury

Old
07-05-2008, 01:46 PM
rickyrod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'm willing to bet we won't know our lines until a month into the regular season.
And then they'll change after Christmas.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 03:08 PM
jrd303

I think Datsuk is a lot tougher than people give him credit for and Kromwell hits like a truck.

jrd303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 03:25 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I love how people are all of a sudden saying Prucha should be on the first line. Last year he didn't even have a spot on this roster the last third of the season.

I'm sorry, but this team is soft as hell. Pathetic

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 04:31 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Naslund is a LW

Zherdev is a RW

Dawes is a LW

Korpedo is a LW

Callahan is a RW who used to be a C at some point

Prucha was a C who has scored most of his goals as a LW in the NHL

We lack a true second line RW.

My ideal first line is Naslund - Gomez - Zherdev

My ideal second line is Dawes - Drury - ?

My ideal third line is Prucha - Dubinsky - Callahan

The question is, would you try Fredrik Sjostrom at second line RW? He is a natural RW and was drafted as a scoring winger not a third liner.
I don't know where to put Korpedo either. One of Callahan, Korpedo, Prucha is gonna get screwed. I would give Prucha the chance to stick in the 2nd or 3rd line because he has proven he can score. Callahan can put some in but he is more a worker and energy player. Dawes has the offensive potential and has chemistry with Drury, can Korpedo play RW and put some goals in? All these young players have potential, just none of them has erupted yet outside of that first line.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 04:51 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayStorm View Post
Naslund is a LW

Zherdev is a RW

Dawes is a LW

Korpedo is a LW

Callahan is a RW who used to be a C at some point

Prucha was a C who has scored most of his goals as a LW in the NHL

We lack a true second line RW.

My ideal first line is Naslund - Gomez - Zherdev

My ideal second line is Dawes - Drury - ?

My ideal third line is Prucha - Dubinsky - Callahan

The question is, would you try Fredrik Sjostrom at second line RW? He is a natural RW and was drafted as a scoring winger not a third liner.
I don't know where to put Korpedo either. One of Callahan, Korpedo, Prucha is gonna get screwed. I would give Prucha the chance to stick in the 2nd or 3rd line because he has proven he can score. Callahan can put some in but he is more a worker and energy player. Dawes has the offensive potential and has chemistry with Drury, can Korpedo play RW and put some goals in? All these young players have potential, just none of them has erupted yet outside of that first line.
apparently Naslund played RW last two seasons but look where that got him...

check out the Selanne thread Draft Guru started! Of course there would be an insane logjam but Selanne >>>>>>> Bertuzzi.

Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev
Dawes-Drury-Selanne

No to Sjostrom on the 2nd line. With our current logjam, Korpikoski has gotta stay in HFD another season. I really hate that Sather signed Rissmiller and Voros (not as much). Unless he's going to turn around and trade the rights to Sjostrom and Fritsche...

Prucha-Dubinsky-Callahan
Rissmiller-Betts-Voros ??? (I'm assuming Slats signed those two to play)

Korpedo has nowhere to play unless Prucha is traded. Or plays on the 2nd line with Dawes and Drury but then that line would be... well Prucha needs to have a monster year for that line to work.

Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev
Dawes-Drury-Prucha
Korpikoski-Dubinsky-Callahan
Rissmiller-Betts-Voros

still this scenario assumes that Sather trades Sjostrom, Fritsche, and Hollweg away. Yeah, even without Korpikoski in, our lineup needs

One crazy idea is to use Naslund on the RW where he hasn't had as much success.

Drury-Gomez-Naslund
Dawes-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Prucha-Fritsche-Callahan
Rissmiller-Betts-Voros
Sjostrom/Orr
trade/waive Hollweg

I think that's the only way our roster would work out currently.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
apparently Naslund played RW last two seasons but look where that got him...

check out the Selanne thread Draft Guru started! Of course there would be an insane logjam but Selanne >>>>>>> Bertuzzi.

Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev
Dawes-Drury-Selanne
Selanne needs a quality setup man to really excel. Drury, for all of his skills, isn't known for his setup abilities. No way Renney would put Selanne on the 2nd line either.

Naslund - Gomez - Selanne
Drury - Dubi - Zherdev

Thats a hell of a top-six.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 04:58 PM
GarretJoseph*

Put Z with Gomez.

Drury as a checking 3rd line center.

Didn't we have this problem with Holik a few years ago? putting him on lines that he shouldn't on thus wasting his best talents...

Gomez
Dubinsky
Drury
Betts

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 05:11 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Selanne needs a quality setup man to really excel. Drury, for all of his skills, isn't known for his setup abilities. No way Renney would put Selanne on the 2nd line either.

Naslund - Gomez - Selanne
Drury - Dubi - Zherdev

Thats a hell of a top-six.
Actually, I consider Dawes to be a quality setup man. Drury is no schlep but if Selanne scored a 100 points playing with Steve Rucchin, well Dawes <<< Kariya. Drury >>> Rucchin. I think it would work out. Your lines are bad either but I agree Garret, Zherdev with Gomez.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 06:27 PM
battlerex99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Put Z with Gomez.

Drury as a checking 3rd line center.

Didn't we have this problem with Holik a few years ago? putting him on lines that he shouldn't on thus wasting his best talents...

Gomez
Dubinsky
Drury
Betts

This is ********. Drury is a great goalscorer. He played the first line on Buffalo the year they won the President's Trophy. Drury is a small center too who doesn't hit. He's not a checking line center by any means and he's never been in his career.

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Zherdev is far better suited to playing with Gomez. Yes, they both like to carry the puck, but they'll both do fine without the puck when the other one is rushing. That's what Gomez needs most with him. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sjostrom end up on the line with those guys in a mini-Lehtinen role. Thinks defense first, but can chip in some creativity when needed. I'm not saying Sjostrom is as good as Lehtinen, I'm just talking about him playing a similar role.

Sjostrom-Gomez-Zherdev
Dawes-Drury-Naslund
Fritsche-Dubinsky-Callahan
Rissmiller-Betts-Voros

Prucha is the real wild card here. I can see him fitting on that top line, but if he isn't in the top 6, he should be traded. He will never succeed in the bottom 6.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
One crazy idea is to use Naslund on the RW where he hasn't had as much success.

Drury-Gomez-Naslund
Dawes-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Prucha-Fritsche-Callahan
Rissmiller-Betts-Voros
Sjostrom/Orr
trade/waive Hollweg

I think that's the only way our roster would work out currently.
Drury and gomez are going to be playing together, Dubinsky is not a 3rd line center and neither is drury, one of them moves to wing and i see drury being more suited to being a top line winger than dubinsky

Fritsche was acquired to allow us to move drury to wing and that way we have another bigger body at center for an undersized 3rd line

I see the lines a little different
Drury-Gomez-Zherdev
Naslund-Dubinsky-Dawes
Korpikoski-Fritsche-Callahan
Byers/Voros-Betts-Sjostrom

I want dubi with a goal scorer, and playing him w Naslund and Dawes gives him two players who can put the puck in the net. dawes can play RW and he did with shanny and gomez at times last season.

The 3rd line has three players who will hustle and who are smart defensively, and cally and Korpedo can put the puck in the net

4th line is the energy line with betts and sjostrom who are good in the defensive zone

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:00 AM
NYR Viper

i really think these will be the lines

naslund-gomez-zherdev
dawes-dubinsky-drury
callahan-fritsche-korpikoski/sjostrom
sjostrom/korpikoski-betts-voros
orr

i really think renney will split drury and gomez up because of all of the youth on the top two lines....plus drury plays sooo much pk and pp time that he really shouldnt be on the 1st line or else he would play 25-28 minutes a night

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 02:22 AM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Drury and gomez are going to be playing together, Dubinsky is not a 3rd line center and neither is drury, one of them moves to wing and i see drury being more suited to being a top line winger than dubinsky

Fritsche was acquired to allow us to move drury to wing and that way we have another bigger body at center for an undersized 3rd line

I see the lines a little different
Drury-Gomez-Zherdev
Naslund-Dubinsky-Dawes
Korpikoski-Fritsche-Callahan
Byers/Voros-Betts-Sjostrom

I want dubi with a goal scorer, and playing him w Naslund and Dawes gives him two players who can put the puck in the net. dawes can play RW and he did with shanny and gomez at times last season.

The 3rd line has three players who will hustle and who are smart defensively, and cally and Korpedo can put the puck in the net

4th line is the energy line with betts and sjostrom who are good in the defensive zone
I really love those lines..

I think Drury has to be moved to wing because we just don't have that 4th top line winger.. I would consider swapping Drury and Naslund because of the chemistry Drury and Dawes showed at times last year.

No Prucha in that lineup. Which is fine, but where does he go?

Those expecting Prucha to pop in 25 goals all of sudden are pipedreaming, IMO.

One thing though, Rissmiller was signed to a 1 mill contract.. he is going to be used, or at least tried.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:56 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If Fritsche is here, it means that Callahan will not be on the same team.
I do not think so. If Drury is not playing on the wing, it means that he is the 2nd line center. Which would make Dubinsky the 3rd line center. A 3rd line of Fritsche-Dubinsky-Callahan could be a nice, young, energetic line that knows how to play at both ends of the ice.

Given the upgrade in speed, it's Sjostrom who seems to be the odd-man out on the bottom two lines. This team needs size and attitude from the bottom-2 lines. With the line that I mentioned up top, coupled with a Voros (probably signed to be Hollweg's replacement)-Betts-Orr (let's be frank, we all know that he is playing each night), the team does generate some sort of energy and physical play from them.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 09:05 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I do not think so. If Drury is not playing on the wing, it means that he is the 2nd line center. Which would make Dubinsky the 3rd line center. A 3rd line of Fritsche-Dubinsky-Callahan could be a nice, young, energetic line that knows how to play at both ends of the ice.

Given the upgrade in speed, it's Sjostrom who seems to be the odd-man out on the bottom two lines. This team needs size and attitude from the bottom-2 lines. With the line that I mentioned up top, coupled with a Voros (probably signed to be Hollweg's replacement)-Betts-Orr (let's be frank, we all know that he is playing each night), the team does generate some sort of energy and physical play from them.
I find the Dubinsky argument amusing. Some people feel that he was a product of Jagr, and then want to put him on the 3rd line, thereby ignoring the fact that he played well with an offensive-minded winger. Wouldn't that be prove that he can play with offensive-minded wingers as a top six forward, and actually be successful? I see people worried about toughness in the top six, and placing Dubi at 3rd line center. Frankly, I don't think there's a chance Dubi goes to 3rd line center. I think that spot is going to be left open to see if AA can win the spot; if he can't, we'll see a temporary solution until he is ready.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 09:06 AM
blue2noise

Anisimov will make this team on the wing along with Korpedo. Gives us more size. Mark it down.

Prucha will watch or be moved.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 09:10 AM
BrianLeetch2

Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Putting dubi on the 3rd line would be very dumb, after the season he had and showed great progress he has to be at least on the 2nd line i dont care if he plays wing get him minutes dont demote the kid after such a great year

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
yeah the only tough guy on Detroit last year was Kronwall and McCarty. And McCarty was a 4th liner.
Aaron Downey played close to 60 games for the Wings last season with 116 PIMS, he had 13 fighting majors too against some good competition...Roy, Parros, Fridge to name a few.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:08 AM
NY Ranger86

with gomez's speed and zherdev's speed...they were meant to play with eachother.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:10 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
with gomez's speed and zherdev's speed...they were meant to play with eachother.
i agree, and unless the rangers can get vermette, i think naslund is a perfect compliment to them......him or drury

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:37 PM
battlerex99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLeetch2 View Post
Putting dubi on the 3rd line would be very dumb, after the season he had and showed great progress he has to be at least on the 2nd line i dont care if he plays wing get him minutes dont demote the kid after such a great year
40 points with Jagr.

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerex99 View Post
Call me crazy, but the one constant I see in every lineup is that Zherdev is playing on Gomez's right wing. Both of these guys are puck carriers who like to go end to end and both are playmakers, and only above-average finishers. Isn't a playmaking winger exactly what Chris Drury needs? Naslund is more of the run and gun sniper that should be playing with Gomez. I'd like to see our top two lines (as is) be:

Prucha - Gomez - Naslund
Dawes - Drury - Zherdev

Keep the chemistry between Dawes and Drury and add the playmaking presence of Zherdev. Meanwhile, the Gomez line would have it's puck handler (Gomez), it's sniper (Naslund), and the scrappy guy who chips in goals (Prucha). I think these lines make much more sense.
They will figure this out in camp and you may be right

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:16 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I find the Dubinsky argument amusing. Some people feel that he was a product of Jagr, and then want to put him on the 3rd line, thereby ignoring the fact that he played well with an offensive-minded winger. Wouldn't that be prove that he can play with offensive-minded wingers as a top six forward, and actually be successful? I see people worried about toughness in the top six, and placing Dubi at 3rd line center. Frankly, I don't think there's a chance Dubi goes to 3rd line center. I think that spot is going to be left open to see if AA can win the spot; if he can't, we'll see a temporary solution until he is ready.
I am not saying whether or not he was a product of Jagr or not. However, I am saying that Drury was signed to be the 2nd center on this team. The only way that Dubinsky is a top-6 forward, is if Drury is a wing. Is that possible? Sure. A top-2 lines that looked like
Naslund-Gomes-Zheredev
Drury-Dubinsky-Dawes

is not necessarily a bad way to go. However, Dubinsky has to show that he can handle that role better than Drury can. I am not ready to say that. The only reason that he was a top-6 forward last year was because Jagr could not play with either Gomez or Drury. So I do not think that it is a stretch to say that he could be ticketed for the 3rd line. I actually think it may hinge on whether or not another top-6 forward is somehow added to the fold. If the answer is yes, and Dawes is still on the team, then I believe that it will be Dubinsky who is the odd-man out from a top-6 forward prespective. If a top-6 forward is not added, then the top two lines could very well look like the lines from above.

Also, having Dubinsky as the 2nd line center is not really going to address the issue of the top-2 lines lacking toughness. With or without him, the top-2 lines, while certainly gritty enough, are not going to do any kind of pushing around.

As for Anisimov, I do not think that there is any chance of him not starting the year in Hartford. And then, only if he lights it up and there are injury situations on the big club, would he be considered.

Old
07-06-2008, 01:43 PM
DutchShamrock

I don't see it as a knock on Dubinsky to put him on the 3rd when Gomez and Drury are ahead of him. We could see Drury flanking either Gomez or Dubinsky but my gut says no.

Also, the Naslund-Drury-Dawes line isn't sitting well with me, both are left wings. The more we talk about this stuff the more it becomes clear we need to go into camp with everyone and try everything out.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:55 PM
True Blue

No matter what we think, IMO, both Naslund and Zheredev are ticketed for the first line with Gomez, in an effort to have a true # 1 line. Just a feeling I have. The second line (barring any trades or unexpected singings) right now has Drury and Dawes. From there, it is all guesswork.