HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bouwmeester Files For Arbitration

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Bouwmeester Files For Arbitration

Gorton just sent me an e-mail saying Bouw filed before the 5pm deadline. That means an arbitrator will award him a one year contract and the Panthers will not be able to negotiate with him until January. It also means Bouw has no interest in signing a multi-year contract at least until January and WILL NOT sign an offer sheet that Florida Could have matched.

Old
07-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Dionysus

Does this increase the chances he gets dealt?

Old
07-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Georgia Panther

Not immediately but almost certainly before the trading deadline if Florida isn't in a strong Playoff Position.

Old
07-05-2008, 05:43 PM
TheHMan

Ottawa could presumably still make a trade offer and sign him before arbitration if the details of the contract were agreed upon in advance though, correct?

Old
07-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Georgia Panther

Copy of E-Mail from Sun-Sentinel Panthers Beat Writer

He filed for arbitration before the deadline.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
To: Gorten, Steve
Sent: Sat Jul 05 15:02:13 2008
Subject: Bouwmeester and Arbitration

Steve, the deadline for Bouwmeester to file for arbitration is 5pm today. Heard Anything?

Old
07-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
Ottawa could presumably still make a trade offer and sign him before arbitration if the details of the contract were agreed upon in advance though, correct?
Don't know about that though by agreeing to Arbitration Bouwmeester gave up his right to sign an Offer Sheet.

Old
07-05-2008, 05:47 PM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Gorton just sent me an e-mail saying Bouw filed before the 5pm deadline. That means an arbitrator will award him a one year contract and the Panthers will not be able to negotiate with him until January. It also means Bouw has no interest in signing a multi-year contract at least until January and WILL NOT sign an offer sheet that Florida Could have matched.
It also means that the Panthers have exclusive rights until July 20 to agree to a contract and avoid arbitration. So it is really glass half empty/ half full depending on your perspective. Either way, it puts maximum pressure on the Panthers.

Old
07-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckdaddy View Post
It also means that the Panthers have exclusive rights until July 20 to agree to a contract and avoid arbitration. So it is really glass half empty/ half full depending on your perspective. Either way, it puts maximum pressure on the Panthers.
That may be true, I don't know, in baseball it's that way don't know about the NHL. If true, it certainly brings things to a head this month.

Old
07-05-2008, 05:52 PM
WeSt_CoAsT_eXpReSs

IIRC can't the panthers opt for a 2 year contract from the arbitrator ala Cammeleri?

Old
07-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSt_CoAsT_eXpReSs View Post
IIRC can't the panthers opt for a 2 year contract from the arbitrator ala Cammeleri?
No because Bouwmeester is eligible to be an UFA at the end of the season. The arbitrator can only award a one year contract for that reason.

Old
07-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Cat Herder
Formerly BigSensFan

Quote:
Don't know about that though by agreeing to Arbitration Bouwmeester gave up his right to sign an Offer Sheet.

he said "Trade offer" to the Panthers.

Yes Ottawa could offer the panthers a trade and Ottawa could negotiate a contract with Bouwmeester that is longer than one year, as long as it is done before the Arbitrator brings his decision down

Old
07-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckdaddy View Post
Puckdaddy is correct! TSN has July 20th thru August 4th for arbitration hearings. Now we find out when the hearing date is set and begin another countdown and hope to get him re-signed before then.

Quote:
The deadline for players to request salary arbitration is July 5, with cases heard in late July and early August. A player and team can continue to negotiate up until the date of the hearing, in hopes of agreeing on a contract and avoiding the arbitration process.
-ghoste

Old
07-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Eadig

I don't know what to think right about this, Jay is a huge part of the team and losing him will be a big blow and who knows maybe he will change his mind if we make the playoffs or really likes Peter and might like the future that he see's with him coaching but those are 2 big IF's.

Old
07-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Puckdaddy is correct! TSN has July 20th thru August 4th for arbitration hearings. Now we find out when the hearing date is set and begin another countdown and hope to get him re-signed.

-ghoste
Well that clears that up. Though you have to think JM has ALREADY offered Bouwmeester the Earth, Moon and Stars to re-up long term. I go back to the quote Deboer and JM made at the Deboer Presser. "Bouw wants to win, we all want to win, we just have to prove to Bouw we can win" or words to that effect. To me that means they knew they had no chance to sign Bouw long term before mid-season and they hope to be in a position by then that would encourage Bouw to re-up at that time, which is a gamble on the Panthers part if they follow through.

Old
07-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Are there any circumstances where the player takes a team to arbitration and, like in Bouw's case, that player is a year removed from UFA status and the player winds up with that team long term?

I mean, is it more common for a player like Bouw to leave or is it more common that player and team find common ground?

07-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Well that clears that up. Though you have to think JM has ALREADY offered Bouwmeester the Earth, Moon and Stars to re-up long term. I go back to the quote Deboer and JM made at the Deboer Presser. "Bouw wants to win, we all want to win, we just have to prove to Bouw we can win" or words to that effect. To me that means they knew they had no chance to sign Bouw long term before mid-season and they hope to be in a position by then that would encourage Bouw to re-up at that time, which is a gamble on the Panthers part if they follow through.
That's a great point GP! If that's the case, Bouw wins his hearing and I don't know, gets something around $5 million? We play up to the deadline and if we must, we ship him out. That's the worst case scenario but you have to figure that we'll see a good package coming back.

That or Bouw's camp is asking for $8 or $9 million, which is way too much and Martin isn't giving in.

-ghoste

Old
07-05-2008, 06:16 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
That's a great point GP! If that's the case, Bouw wins his hearing and I don't know, gets something around $5 million? We play up to the deadline and if we must, we ship him out. That's the worst case scenario but you have to figure that we'll see a good package coming back.

-ghoste
Not exactly, his contract status would hurt his value immensely. We've seen Brian Campbell go for a huge longterm contract, and I think Bouwmeester could easily net way more money as a UFA, especially given the fact he's so young. Whoever your trading him to at the deadline is going to be taking the risk of losing him for nothing and won't part with a package that's nearly as attractive.

Old
07-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Danny Tanner*

by now martin should have a pretty good feel for what jay's intentions are. if he clearly doesn't want to be here long term - deal him now and maximize his value. whoever's dealing for him will have a month to work on a long-term deal.

i find it sort of strange that he waited for the last second to file....was he waiting for an offer sheet or is there some hope yet?

if not - send me meszaros, vermette and a pick and ill be more than satisfied. honestly, if we can get that package for jay i don't think we're any worse off than we are now.

Old
07-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:

That or Bouw's camp is asking for $8 or $9 million, which is way too much and Martin isn't giving in.

-ghoste
A trade deadline deal means picks and prospects would be the return. A deal before the season starts or much more likely before the Arbitration Hearing would more likely include established players in return which would be the gamble Florida takes by going into the season without Bouwmeester signed long term.

Old
07-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Panthers_Fan

I am at least glad that this means the 1 year offer sheet isn't going to happen. That would have severely hurt the organization. GP this title is also very misleading. All this means is that offer sheets are off the table.

Old
07-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

I agree with Danny. If the kid really doesn't want to be here (and no one really knows if this is truly the case), and if the Ottawa rumor has 1% of truth to it, then I'd try to go for that.

But if Bouw is just unsure about staying and wants to see how the season goes, then you just hope it goes really well. And if it doesn't, then we'll just have to take those picks & prospects.

-ghoste

Old
07-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

NJ will take him. Parise for Bouw? Or how about Zajac, Tedenby, and a 2010 1st for Bouw?

Old
07-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Danny Tanner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
NJ will take him. Parise for Bouw? Or how about Zajac, Tedenby, and a 2010 1st for Bouw?
parise is nice, but i'd rather have the rumored sens package.

the second one isn't even in the ballpark.

Old
07-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Danny Tanner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers_Fan View Post
I am at least glad that this means the 1 year offer sheet isn't going to happen. That would have severely hurt the organization. GP this title is also very misleading. All this means is that offer sheets are off the table.
GP is under the assumption that bouwmeester going to arbitration means he has no intention of re-signing here....which isn't neccessarily the case. he can use the arbitration hearing as a huge bargaining chip as he knows the closer they get to the date of the case the more pressure florida will feel and the more money he can squeeze out of them.

our local media coverage is absolutely atrocious. our star defender is in this scenario and we don't know anything....nothing. the herald, sun-sen and palmbeachpost should be ashamed.

Old
07-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Tanner View Post
parise is nice, but i'd rather have the rumored sens package.

the second one isn't even in the ballpark.
What about :

Ottawa: Jbo, and Van Ryn

Fla : Mazaros,Heatley, and a 1st rounder in 09

Just throwing this out there, I have no idea on trade values or whatnot,but at least we get a top scorer,and a top D man, trade Bo and VanRyn(I believe he was at the calendar signing before the season ended and said his wrists feel 110% better then they did before,so he could be at his A game again)

Like I said, I'm not trying to be a funny man or stupid, being honest,trying to get peoples thoughts and if this is too much from Ott stand point and what could make this actually happen?

Closed Thread