HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2008, 08:27 PM
  #1
Gardner McKay
Moderator
#4parsley
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,914
vCash: 931
Sather

Never in my time as a Ranger fan have I heard as much praise for Glen Sather. It seems that with the pick ups of Redden, the re-signing of Roszival, the Zherdev trade, then the Naslund and Kalinin signings people are talking about Sather in ways I could have never imagined. All positive of course.

But really, why should Sather be praised when all he as done is potentially cripple the New York Rangers for the next 5 years?

I cannot even begin to think of ways to answer that question. Plain and simple, ever since the Zherdev trade a few days ago, it seems as if Rangers fans minds are washed of ALL of Slats prior record.

One good trade makes up for everything else? Dont get me wrong, Im thrilled about Zherdev coming to New York and the fact that Sather absolutely FLEECED Howson on that trade.

However.... Lets not forget last year and what has taken place so far this year. Sather has cap crunched the Rangers for the near future by handing out albatross contracts to Gomez Drury Redden Rozsival. I dont consider Lundqvists an albatross because he is by far the most deserving of his.

Next year when Zherdev is an RFA, where is the money going to come to sign him, especially if he has a 70+ point season? Not to mention Dubinsky who will also be an RFA next year, and Staal two years from now and will be ready for their raises, where will the money come from? Sather Cannot keep banking on the cap going up year after year because what goes up must come down (although Oil is the exception to that proven law)

Im as excited as any one but lets not be fooled, the team as currently constructed is cap crunched, loaded with albatross contracts and still has a minimal chance to contend for Lord Stanley. Our defense is just good at best, and our offense is maybe mediocre.

As far as I am concerned, Sathers tenure produced one significant move. Anson Carter for Jaromir Jagr. It was this move that 180'd the Rangers franchise, but it seems that Sather has forgotten that the cap has existed and is slowly in the process of doing another 180 back the other way.

Im curious as to how Wade Redden could receive 6.5 million when a MUCH superior player in Campbell gets only 600k more?

I like Rozy but 5 mil a year?

While I do like the make up of the team, I do think that Slats should have passed on either Rozy or Redden because as it is right now, next year the Rangers will start to feel the heat from Cap Hell. Gary Bettman, whos really masquerading as the Lucifer himself will be lucky enough to have the NHLPA extend the CBA because of the contracts that are being handed out.

But lets not be all negative here about Slats. He did sign Christian Backman v2.0 in Dimitri Kalinin... wait thats a bad thing... oops.

Sather made two good signings this off season. First one was without a doubt Markus Naslund. Former 100 point producer should be able to regain his old form. 4 million is steep but its better then market value especially when 75 point players in Jagr and Sundin are getting offered 8 and 10 mil a year. So full marks there slats.

Second is Paul Mara. Im THRILLED about this signing because he actually got Mara to take about 1.5-2 mil below market value to play one more year for the Rangers. Now of course Mara agreed for two reasons, first to bolster his value for next year when correct me if I am wrong, there will be less premier Dmen available as UFA's and more so RFA's which leads to compensatory picks. Second Mara believes that this team can make the playoffs and contend and while I hope he is right I dont believe so, but it shows that there are guys who DO actually take less to play for the team they want, and if Roszival and Redden supposedly wanted to play for the Rangers a "contender" then why couldnt they do the same and each take a Mil less to make it easier for the Rangers to sign more premier players to actually make a run and the so illusive cup.

But two good signings dont make up for all the other bad ones especially since they are short term fixes for long term problems. Lack of scoring, holes on defense because of prospects that are still to inexperienced, having big wingers you know, the basics.

In prior years, the Rangers have had a bad history of wasting picks and great prospects because of idiotic moves. This time the Rangers will not lose out on their youngsters due to stupid trades for aging stars, they will simply lose them because they have signed the aging stars for to much. And while the Rangers do have one of the better prospect pools in the NHL, it will be amusing to see what offer sheets are thrown at the likes of Dubinsky and Staal when Trader Glen has no cap room to match. Compensatory picks you say? They are both at the point in their careers where they are good enough to get offer sheeted, but not good enough for the compensation to be worth it because both will blossom into much better players in 3-4 more years.

So again I am failing to understand this love that Rangers fans have all of the sudden developed for a GM who seemingly is doing everything right for the team, but in all actuality is doing everything wrong.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:31 PM
  #2
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,267
vCash: 500
The Cap will go up and he will have people to get rid of. That's why he's a General Manager and you and I are posters on the HFboards. He's successful in this, we have not been or have not tried to be.

He has some one year contracts going off the books, and he knows the cap is going to rise anywhere from $5-6 mill a year. We will find ways to give contracts to upcoming RFA's.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:33 PM
  #3
Gardner McKay
Moderator
#4parsley
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,914
vCash: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
The Cap will go up and he will have people to get rid of. That's why he's a General Manager and you and I are posters on the HFboards. He's successful in this, we have not been or have not tried to be.

He has some one year contracts going off the books, and he knows the cap is going to rise anywhere from $5-6 mill a year. We will find ways to give contracts to upcoming RFA's.
How does he know? Magically? Find ways how? we have 30 million tied up in 5 players for the next 4 years.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:35 PM
  #4
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,833
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Crippled for 5 years? How so? because of 2 contracts? Sather signed those guys to those contracts because they are going to be the foundation, along with Henrik, of our team. Jagr was only getting 4.5 or so from us but his salary was $8 million. The Rangers have centerpieces now. Yes, Rozy was a bit more than we all wanted and Redden is up there too. But for Redden, if he bounces back to what he used to be, then that $6.5 is going to be well worth it. Rozsival wanted to stay so he stays.

I am still not a fan of Sather. Never have been but he did some good things this offseason, even if they cost a good amount. But if the cap is going to keep going up then we won't have to worry about it.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:35 PM
  #5
Jarmac
Registered User
 
Jarmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 848
vCash: 500
How can you bash the Redden and Kalinin signings and praise Naslund before any of them have played a game in a Rangers uniform?

Jarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:36 PM
  #6
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Also i have not heard if Redden or Rozy have NMC's. If not and anyone of them dont play well and become untradeable they can become property of the Wolfpack. Thats where us being a big market team will give us an advantage in the cap world. Dolan probably wont care about eating a contract or 2.

As crazy as it sound also the way contracts are going, in a couple years Rozy and Redden might look like Bargains.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:37 PM
  #7
Gardner McKay
Moderator
#4parsley
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,914
vCash: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmac View Post
How can you bash the Redden and Kalinin signings and praise Naslund before any of them have played a game in a Rangers uniform?
Simple. Ive watched Kalinin enough in Buffalo to know how he plays.

Im not bashing the signing, the price of it I am however.

5 contracts 30 million dollars. Thats ****ing pathetic.

And i can praise Naslund because in comparison to Sundin and Jagr prices and availibilty of players, its a great price. Former 100 point man and had a rough year with ONLY 55. Jagr had 71 and was looking for 7 mil +. Sundin with 79ish 10 mil per year? Thats how I can say that.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:38 PM
  #8
Gardner McKay
Moderator
#4parsley
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,914
vCash: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Also i have not heard if Redden or Rozy have NMC's. If not and anyone of them dont play well and become untradeable they can become property of the Wolfpack. Thats where us being a big market team will give us an advantage in the cap world. Dolan probably wont care about eating a contract or 2.

As crazy as it sound also the way contracts are going, in a couple years Rozy and Redden might look like Bargains.
Thats if the cap keeps going up? What if it stagnates for a year or drops slightly?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:39 PM
  #9
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Simple. Ive watched Kalinin enough in Buffalo to know how he plays.

Im not bashing the signing, the price of it I am however.

5 contracts 30 million dollars. Thats ****ing pathetic.
2 Star Centers
1 #1 Defensemen
1 #2 Defensemen
and a Superstar goalie.... Sounds like a good core to build around my friend.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:40 PM
  #10
Jarmac
Registered User
 
Jarmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
How does he know? Magically? Find ways how? we have 30 million tied up in 5 players for the next 4 years.
How do you now the cap WON'T go up? All indications from the past few years say it will.

Jarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:40 PM
  #11
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Thats if the cap keeps going up? What if it stagnates for a year or drops slightly?
Then to the minors with them

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:40 PM
  #12
LIRoyals7794
 
LIRoyals7794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
After Sather traded Brian Leetch one of the greatest Rangers ever (IMO the best) on his birthday, I have no respect for Sather.

LIRoyals7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:41 PM
  #13
Gardner McKay
Moderator
#4parsley
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,914
vCash: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
2 Star Centers
1 #1 Defensemen
1 #2 Defensemen
and a Superstar goalie.... Sounds like a good core to build around my friend.
Star Centers? Naslund puts up the same points as Drury and is signed for 3 million less.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:42 PM
  #14
Gardner McKay
Moderator
#4parsley
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,914
vCash: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmac View Post
How do you now the cap WON'T go up? All indications from the past few years say it will.
Didnt say it wont. Im just saying there is no way for sure to know it will. Eventually it WILL go down, whether it be a 1 time thing and for how much who knows.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:42 PM
  #15
Jarmac
Registered User
 
Jarmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Simple. Ive watched Kalinin enough in Buffalo to know how he plays.

Im not bashing the signing, the price of it I am however.

5 contracts 30 million dollars. Thats ****ing pathetic.

And i can praise Naslund because in comparison to Sundin and Jagr prices and availibilty of players, its a great price. Former 100 point man and had a rough year with ONLY 55. Jagr had 71 and was looking for 7 mil +. Sundin with 79ish 10 mil per year? Thats how I can say that.
But you haven't seen any of them play in New York, with the coaching and group that is here. I would think that Sather and co, as professionals, saw something that you didn't and believed that these players would do well here. You could be right, they could both play poorly and not be worth their contracts. But the fans should give them a chance and see them at least play a game...

Jarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:43 PM
  #16
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Star Centers? Naslund puts up the same points as Drury and is signed for 3 million less.
Yea But we all know what Dru brings to this team in addition to points...

He plays pretty much in every situation and is a tremendous leader. He's just one of those guys you look for and sometimes never get.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:43 PM
  #17
Broadway Brett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Florida, but born in
Country: United States
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
2 Star Centers
1 #1 Defensemen
1 #2 Defensemen
and a Superstar goalie.... Sounds like a good core to build around my friend.
What two star centers do we have?

Broadway Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:44 PM
  #18
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Brett View Post
What two star centers do we have?
Gomez and Drury are Star Centers yes, over paid yea, but so is almost the entire NHL at this point.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:45 PM
  #19
Gardner McKay
Moderator
#4parsley
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,914
vCash: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmac View Post
But you haven't seen any of them play in New York, with the coaching and group that is here. I would think that Sather and co, as professionals, saw something that you didn't and believed that these players would do well here. You could be right, they could both play poorly and not be worth their contracts. But the fans should give them a chance and see them at least play a game...
Buddy, your all wrong. Im not bashing the players one bit. Honest to god as a fan, Im happy as hell with the off season but thats for now. I feel like Slats does not give two ***** about the future because he may not have to deal with it much longer. Who knows how much longer he will be the GM.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:45 PM
  #20
Jarmac
Registered User
 
Jarmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Gomez and Drury are Star Centers yes, over paid yea, but so is almost the entire NHL at this point.
And if everybody's overpaid, nobody is...

Jarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:46 PM
  #21
BrianLeetch2
Registered User
 
BrianLeetch2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toms River NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Simple. Ive watched Kalinin enough in Buffalo to know how he plays.

Im not bashing the signing, the price of it I am however.

5 contracts 30 million dollars. Thats ****ing pathetic.

And i can praise Naslund because in comparison to Sundin and Jagr prices and availibilty of players, its a great price. Former 100 point man and had a rough year with ONLY 55. Jagr had 71 and was looking for 7 mil +. Sundin with 79ish 10 mil per year? Thats how I can say that.
half the league prob have 30 mil tied up in 5 players i havent checked but i would assume

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:47 PM
  #22
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 500
LOL at this thread.

How about we let the 2008-09 team play some games before we pass judgement?

If he gave Jagr 7.5 mill you would have been happy?

Sathers a smart guy and he's got balls. Not afraid to make a move to better the team and hes been very careful with the homegrown post lockout NYR


I'm sure he explored several options but basically the team we see next season has been building steadily for 3 years.

There should be no surprise this team is being handed over to Chris Drury and new pan-centric approach to style.

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:47 PM
  #23
Gardner McKay
Moderator
#4parsley
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,914
vCash: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLeetch2 View Post
half the league prob have 30 mil tied up in 5 players i havent checked but i would assume
Check and get back to me because I do believe you could be wrong.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:48 PM
  #24
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmac View Post
And if everyone's overpaid, nobody is...
Thanks Socrates

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:49 PM
  #25
Gardner McKay
Moderator
#4parsley
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,914
vCash: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
LOL at this thread.

How about we let the 2008-09 team play some games before we pass judgement?

If he gave Jagr 7.5 mill you would have been happy?

Sathers a smart guy and he's got balls. Not afraid to make a move to better the team and hes been very careful with the homegrown post lockout NYR


I'm sure he explored several options but basically the team we see next season has been building steadily for 3 years.

There should be no surprise this team is being handed over to Chris Drury and new pan-centric approach to style.
Absolutely not. But next year when Zherdev and Dubinsky are RFA's where will the money come from, especially if they both have great seasons. If Zherdev does what we hope for and puts up 70+ Hes guarenteed at least 2 million more then he is making now.

And how can you say its been building steadily with such a high player turnover?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.