HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sather

Old
07-05-2008, 07:50 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post

Im curious as to how Wade Redden could receive 6.5 million when a MUCH superior player in Campbell gets only 600k more?

What did you start watching hockey last season?

For starters Renny wont have to teach Redden how to play defense.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
What did you start watching hockey last season?

For starters Renny wont have to teach Redden how to play defense.
Are you sure about that? Sens fans have been calling for Reddens head for some time and were worried that Ottawa would re-sign him for 4 mil ish, let alone 6.5

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 07:53 PM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Absolutely not. But next year when Zherdev and Dubinsky are RFA's where will the money come from, especially if they both have great seasons. If Zherdev does what we hope for and puts up 70+ Hes guarenteed at least 2 million more then he is making now.

And how can you say its been building steadily with such a high player turnover?
naslunds 4 mil off the books dubi and zherdev get there 2mil increase and if they do have great seasons as they might then the need for naslund is gone problem solved....next

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 07:54 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Are you sure about that? Sens fans have been calling for Reddens head for some time and were worried that Ottawa would re-sign him for 4 mil ish, let alone 6.5
Eh he was the Scape goat for them. Sometimes for a fanbase no matter what a player does he will always get crap. Beltran for the mets comes to mind. No matter what he does he will always a hear a smattering of boos.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 07:55 PM
frankthefrowner

With Sangs and Potters emergence to, there might be no need for Kalinin or Mara and thats another 4 Mil..

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 07:57 PM
BrianLeetch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
With Sangs and Potters emergence to, there might be no need for Kalinin or Mara and thats another 4 Mil..
well put

Old
07-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLeetch2 View Post
naslunds 4 mil off the books dubi and zherdev get there 2mil increase and if they do have great seasons as they might then the need for naslund is gone problem solved....next
No, NAslund is a 2 year contract buddy.

Old
07-05-2008, 08:02 PM
MSG the place to be*

Those of you who brush aside this problem are really not thinking clear. We just traded for a young relatively inexpensive first liner and signed a veteran point producer and people still complain about how our top 6 forwards are unimpressive.

You guys better get used to it because Drury and Gomez will be centering the top 2 lines and the only way we will get wingers around them is to sign aging veterans and praying that our young guys develop (ie. zherdev cherry and dawes becoming bonafide).

When you look at the forwards around the league making 7 million or more it can definitely be argued that Drury and Gomez are the players least deserving of the money. I mean when we discussion potential line combos, its a problem when we say that OUR 2ND LINE WITH A 7 MILLION DOLLAR PLAYER DOESNT LOOK UP TO SNUFF...I cant think of any other 7 mil+ player that if they were on our second line it wouldnt look good on paper with the players we have.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:07 PM
BrianLeetch2

Quote:
No, NAslund is a 2 year contract buddy.
doesnt matter the cap will increase and if it comes to that like some other poster said dolan wont mind eating a contract to free up space...trust me guys like dubi and zherdev wont get dealt because of cap issues.....love how people on here think they should be a gm of an nhl team...sather knows what he is doing regarding that.....

Old
07-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Jarmac

vCash: 873
Quote:
Absolutely not. But next year when Zherdev and Dubinsky are RFA's where will the money come from, especially if they both have great seasons. If Zherdev does what we hope for and puts up 70+ Hes guarenteed at least 2 million more then he is making now.

And how can you say its been building steadily with such a high player turnover?
Well let's see: right now the Rangers have $54,447,783 against the cap. At the end of the offseason, i'd say, after the signing of our RFA's and some trades/waiving, that number will be from 55-56m (Sather likes to have a buffer). So, lets say its 56m. After 08/09, Zherdev, Prucha, Korpedo, Dubi, Cally, and Hollweg are all RFAs, while Betts, Orr, Rissmiller, Kalinen, Vali, and Mara are UFAs. With their salaries and our dead space (Jagr buyout and Shanny bonus overage) gone, we'll have, subtracting from 56m, 40,693,494 in committed salaried and, even if the cap remains the same, 16,006,506 in space. With Dubi re-signed at 3, Cally at 1, Korpedo at 1, Prucha at 1.8, Zherdev at 4, Vali at .8 with Betts, Orr, Rissmiller, and Hollweg let go, we'll still have 4,406,506 in space (Even more if the cap goes up, which it almost definitely will) to fill in the empty spots with young players. And thats why Sather can spend so much money on free agents, because he'll have ready young prospects to plug in--Anisimov, Cherepanov, Sauer, Sanguinetti, Byers, Moore...

Last edited by Jarmac: 07-05-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Jarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:17 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Imagine being Sather? No wonder why he talks to the media so rarely. Too many Ranger fans will never be happy no matter what he does.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:20 PM
MasonRanger

Send a message via AIM to MasonRanger
Quote:
Check and get back to me because I do believe you could be wrong.
Well let's see. Detroit has about 30 million in Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Zetterberg, and Hossa.

Dallas has about 26 million in Richards, Ribeiro, Lehtinen, Morrow,and Zubov.

San Jose has about 30 million in Thornton, Marleau, Michalek, Boyle, and Blake.

Philly has around 28 mil in Briere, Richards, Carter, Gagne, and Timonen.

Anaheim has around 30 mil in Getzlaf, Perry, Niedermayer, Pronger, and Schneider.

Those are just a few examples.

http://nhlnumbers.com/

In other words, the Rangers situation is a normal one. So either every GM is awful, or Sather really isn't that bad.

MasonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:23 PM
BrianLeetch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonRanger View Post
Well let's see. Detroit has about 30 million in Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Zetterberg, and Hossa.

Anaheim has around 30 mil in Getzlaf, Perry, Niedermayer, Pronger, and Schneider.

In other words, the Rangers situation is a normal one. So either every GM is awful, or Sather really isn't that bad.
thank you

all playoff caliber teams where i dont see why the rangers wont be in the postseason again, even in one of the toughest divisions.. we will just have to wait and see

Old
07-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonRanger View Post

The difference is we DONT have 30 million tied up in Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Zetterberg, and Hossa, and those are not for the next 4 years either, your forgetting the length.

Instead we have it tied up in Drury Gomez Roszival Redden and Lundqvist and Im sorry but I would take those 5 over our 5 in a second.

Your comparing apples to oranges here. If Redden becomes the next Lidstrom then I will shut my mouth and streak through new york. If Gomez becomes the next Datsyuk Ill do it again, but neither will.

The calibre of players is completely different.

Old
07-05-2008, 08:24 PM
In The Flesh

I was waiting for a Sather thread. I actually was going to make one, but since the board as been a cluster **** of threads lately I didn't. Insted, I just posted my thoughts in the are we better? thread. Here it is.

THe Ranger Way

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until Sather is gone expect for this team to continue its so failed recent past with him at the helm. WIll there ever be an offseason where he doesn't sign a million free agents and drastically alter this team?? Is anyone else feeling the same as I am. IMO, this team needed some help on D (ONE new D man) and a decent scoring winger for GOmez, maybe another forward to replace Straka and maybe a depth signing. THats it. Keep realitivly the same team intact with some minor tweaks and see how they play out a 2nd season together. Insted he decideds to go ape **** on the market.....AGAIN. I hate this guy, his old tricks are back in pre-lockout form. Can't wait til mid Jan. when this team is finally getting it together (if at all) and has to go on a tear to get the 6-8 spot. Only reason we make the POs these last yrs and probably this upcoming one as oppose to the pre-lockout seasons is that we have a stellar goaltender and a decent defense. End rant.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:28 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRoyals7794 View Post
After Sather traded Brian Leetch one of the greatest Rangers ever (IMO the best) on his birthday, I have no respect for Sather.
Correct!!! Regardless of if he gets lucky with signings or anything else, Glen Sather will always be a classless piece of #$%^.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:28 PM
BrianLeetch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
I was waiting for a Sather thread. I actually was going to make one, but since the board as been a cluster **** of threads lately I didn't. Insted, I just posted my thoughts in the are we better? thread. Here it is.

THe Ranger Way

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until Sather is gone expect for this team to continue its so failed recent past with him at the helm. WIll there ever be an offseason where he doesn't sign a million free agents and drastically alter this team?? Is anyone else feeling the same as I am. IMO, this team needed some help on D (ONE new D man) and a decent scoring winger for GOmez, maybe another forward to replace Straka and maybe a depth signing. THats it. Keep realitivly the same team intact with some minor tweaks and see how they play out a 2nd season together. Insted he decideds to go ape **** on the market.....AGAIN. I hate this guy, his old tricks are back in pre-lockout form. Can't wait til mid Jan. when this team is finally getting it together (if at all) and has to go on a tear to get the 6-8 spot. Only reason we make the POs these last yrs and probably this upcoming one as oppose to the pre-lockout seasons is that we have a stellar goaltender and a decent defense. End rant.

Old
07-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Jarmac

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post

THe Ranger Way

I think Sather has an actual plan in mind and has been working the past few offseasons to change the team to reach that goal. I think that eventually, the team will solidify and stop changing so much, once the hoped for team and style is reached.

Jarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:31 PM
BrianLeetch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Correct!!! Regardless of if he gets lucky with signings or anything else, Glen Sather will always be a classless piece of #$%^.
he traded him to a contender towards the end of his career wow

Old
07-05-2008, 08:39 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
[QUOTE=The Great Dubinsky;14756657]
Im curious as to how Wade Redden could receive 6.5 million when a MUCH superior player in Campbell gets only 600k more?

While I do like the make up of the team, I do think that Slats should have passed on either Rozy or Redden because as it is right now, next year the Rangers will start to feel the heat from Cap Hell. Gary Bettman, whos really masquerading as the Lucifer himself will be lucky enough to have the NHLPA extend the CBA because of the contracts that are being handed out.

But lets not be all negative here about Slats. He did sign Christian Backman v2.0 in Dimitri Kalinin... wait thats a bad thing... oops.

But two good signings dont make up for all the other bad ones especially since they are short term fixes for long term problems. Lack of scoring, holes on defense because of prospects that are still to inexperienced, having big wingers you know, the basics.

QUOTE]

okay first off.. brian campbell is not a MUCH better player then wade redden.. honestly brian campbell, along with redden getting that much money, moer money then a niedermayer or a lidstrom is a joke. but i understand how the market is and thats the way it will be. but he is not that much better then wade redden, dont even kid around. brian campbell is a subpar defender at best. thats me being nice to him.

cap hell? well be fine, i have a feeeling he knows what hes doing. it is impossible, IMPOSSIBLE, for league revenues to drop from year to year. it has NEVER happened. NEVER.

so what he signed dimitri kalinin. its a one year deal, if he sucks he can be placed on waivers or sent to hartford. dolan would eat the contract and you know it.

these moves were good, i think well be fine, just like everyone else responding to this thinks

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:43 PM
TheZherdev

ok. lets just say your right and the cap doesnt go up and stays the same (though most likely it will by 5-6 mill). As of right now we have about 2.5 free cap space, 1.5 DEAD CAP SPACE (People forget that), Kalinan's contract of 2 mill, and Mara's contract of 2 mill. In total thats about 8 million dollars in cap space next year. And if the cap does go up about 6 million as predicted we'll have about 14 million. So we'll have enough money to re-sign everyone (which your so worried about) AND throw in a pitch for say a Gaborik, Havlat, or Hossa. Fancy that huh?

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
How does he know? Magically? Find ways how? we have 30 million tied up in 5 players for the next 4 years.
And we'll have another $30-35 million to spend on the other 15 players in another year or two.

In 4 years when Drury is towards the end of his contract, having 5 top players for $30M will look like a bargain.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Sens fans are DELUSIONAL.

Old
07-05-2008, 09:51 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post

You guys better get used to it because Drury and Gomez will be centering the top 2 lines
Thank you Glen Sather, a man who knows the importance of being strong down the middle.

Old
07-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Gomez and Drury are Star Centers yes, over paid yea, but so is almost the entire NHL at this point.
I disagree, personally. Just my opinion, though. Gomez, I see. I don't see Drury as a star though... Very good player, though, and I'm glad to have him on my team, but I wouldn't call him a star. Once again, just my opinion.

Broadway Brett is offline   Reply With Quote