HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bouwmeester Files For Arbitration

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2008, 06:49 PM
TheHMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers_Fan View Post
I know your right it's just eating me up that we're on the verge of letting another star player leave the organization for nothing. I really think you're overrating Vermette and Mezaros though. If they had such high upsides Ottawa wouldn't have a problem dishing out 4m for Mezaros and however much Vermette is asking.
This has been something that I've gone over before. Ottawa doesn't have much interest in keeping Vermette around when we're currently lacking on Defensive depth, and Meszaros would be more likely to stay in the event that we aren't able to get someone who is a significant upgrade. Meszaros also has growing pains, and it's hard to imagine that he'd be the Sens best choice to run their PP next season seeing as he's only 22. 2 years from now, he's going to be much better but currently we just have too many young Defense men to string together a competitive lineup next season.

I can understand what a huge loss losing your star blueliner might be, I really wouldn't be that happy if we lost Spezza or Heatley either. The offer your getting from Ottawa isn't bad though, most importantly it doesn't mean that the Panthers have to tank and recoup picks, they get young players, a pick and at least something to build from.

btw, I hope you guys don't mind me hanging around here because I think it's a bit understandable that I'm a bit excited at the possibility of picking up Bouw. It would be a very smart move for the Sens and it would help make the prospect pipeline we have work much more smoothly.

Old
07-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
This has been something that I've gone over before. Ottawa doesn't have much interest in keeping Vermette around when we're currently lacking on Defensive depth, and Meszaros would be more likely to stay in the event that we aren't able to get someone who is a significant upgrade. Meszaros also has growing pains, and it's hard to imagine that he'd be the Sens best choice to run their PP next season seeing as he's only 22. 2 years from now, he's going to be much better but currently we just have too many young Defense men to string together a competitive lineup next season.

I can understand what a huge loss losing your star blueliner might be, I really wouldn't be that happy if we lost Spezza or Heatley either. The offer your getting from Ottawa isn't bad though, most importantly it doesn't mean that the Panthers have to tank and recoup picks, they get young players, a pick and at least something to build from.

btw, I hope you guys don't mind me hanging around here because I think it's a bit understandable that I'm a bit excited at the possibility of picking up Bouw. It would be a very smart move for the Sens and it would help make the prospect pipeline we have work much more smoothly.
No, I don't mind. Again, I agree wholeheartedly.

Old
07-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Danny Tanner*

Quote:
I know your right it's just eating me up that we're on the verge of letting another star player leave the organization for nothing. I really think you're overrating Vermette and Mezaros though. If they had such high upsides Ottawa wouldn't have a problem dishing out 4m for Mezaros and however much Vermette is asking.
vermette's "upside" is probably what he is now. a 50 point guy whos great defensively...but that's not that shabby.

and as far as meszaros...his upside is excellent, i think their problem is he's coming off a tough year and don't think he's worth the $4mil right now. i don't think anyone questions that eventually, he'll be a top-pairing guy.

honest, i think it would be an excellent deal if we can pull it off. bouwmeester is great but i really don't think meszaros will be that far off when all is said and done. if we can lock them up (vermetta and meszaros) long term i'd be all over this trade....possibly even if bouw was willing to re-sign long term.

Old
07-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Kikizaz

just for fun, and because i like Jaybo

what would florida fans think of a package around Chris Higgins, Josh Georges and a good prospect?

Old
07-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post

what would florida fans think of a package around Chris Higgins, Josh Georges and a good prospect?
We only have fun in this thread around these parts:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=497670

07-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post

Not enough.

Old
07-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
It means the chances of Bouwmeester remaining a Florida Panther for the 2009/10 season are remote. Even if in a Playoff Position at the trade deadline, what real assurance does that give Bouwmeester that the Panthers are on the road to contention or merely have graduated to the mediocre NHL team level of making the Playoffs every so often only to be eliminated in the first round?
I guess we have to hope that if he only gets a 1 year deal, Cohen opens his checkbook to get another scoring forward FA in here so we can be fighting for the top 4 spots in the east.

Old
07-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
You want the best player on our team and give a list of 8 untouchables. Ok, how are we getting a fair trade?
And that was only a quick list of untouchables! I'd hate to see his full list!

Old
07-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
The assumption I'm making is the Panthers have ALREADY broken the bank in an offer to Bouwmeester that he has, at this time turned down. Which means it isn't about money alone but money and winning. What are the chances that Florida can convince Bouw they are on the road to contention even if in a Playoff Position or leading the Division near the deadline? One winning half season hardly wipes away 8 seasons of futility. I would say the chances are remote that even that happy circumstance would convince Bouw to commit long term.
Dude I know it's hard as a Panther fan sometimes to do, but at least try to think positively!

Old
07-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
It's been discussed before, but most of those guys are signed to very valuable contracts. Keeping those players means the Senators have key pieces to keep themselves competitive over 6 years. If Bouw was already signed to a long term deal then you can look at the possibility of a Bouw for Heatley type trade. The other part of it is that we have some prospects that are a bit too valuable to give up and would be difficult to replace them.

The deal isn't exactly supposed to be an even trade, but rather one that makes sense for both clubs. We have a specific need, but we're not going to try to fulfill it if it means giving up key pieces in another area. I'm positive Murray would prefer a stop gap solution before dealing away most of those guys. The guys in the rumored trade aren't throw away players either, they're still valuable guys getting interest from other clubs, right now they just don't fit in Ottawa's lineup that well.
Which is what he is doing per the recent rumors of them trying to acquire McLaren or Schneider!

Old
07-05-2008, 08:10 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Again, I've said it before but we've never heard Jay give any inclination that he would stay here long-term or that he even likes it here. When he was asked by a reporter about liking the south Florida lifestyle and the warm weather his response was that he doesn't mind the cold up north??? Jokinen, Horton, Weiss, etc. all flat out PUBLICLY stated that they wanted to re-up here & be a part of the changing culture of missing the playoffs. Never once heard anything even close from Bouwmeester's camp...not ever!

I've said for a while that I don't think he'll be here after this seasons, so trade him when his value is the highest. Period.
Whatever, eff Bouwmeester. Good riddance to him and not liking the South Florida lifestyle. He's rich and young in South Florida and doesn't like it here. Poor guy. Bet he can't wait to go back to driving tractors, plowing fields, and stacking hay bales and not having to talk to anyone out on the ole' farm.

Old
07-05-2008, 08:12 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eadig View Post
I don't know what to think right about this, Jay is a huge part of the team and losing him will be a big blow and who knows maybe he will change his mind if we make the playoffs or really likes Peter and might like the future that he see's with him coaching but those are 2 big IF's.
Same thoughts, good analysis
of the situation at hand EA.

Keep him for the first part of the season, then have discussions with him in DEC.JAN. No go by then deal him and bring in someone who wants to be here. Panthers need a good start to the season...it is so pivotal to the future of this franchise. I can feel the pressure already from all the way up here!

Old
07-05-2008, 08:18 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Whatever, eff Bouwmeester. Good riddance to him and not liking the South Florida lifestyle. He's rich and young in South Florida and doesn't like it here. Poor guy. Bet he can't wait to go back to driving tractors, plowing fields, and stacking hay bales and not having to talk to anyone out on the ole' farm.
now that you put it that way, no wonder he wants out. as an expat who grew up down there and knows the plusses and minuses, i can tell you that it's not for everyone. there is nothing wrong with what you disparage - some might even say that's real life (as opposed to south florida). certainly, after growing up down there never experiencing a change in season, i can now say that i could never again live somewhere where there are no seasons (and this is something jay alluded to as well).

Old
07-05-2008, 08:26 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Did you seriously just post this?

Driving tractors? Plowing fields?

Maybe, just maybe, he's tired of playing for an organization that perpetually seems to have it's head firmly planted up it's ass every year.

Old
07-05-2008, 08:29 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
now that you put it that way, no wonder he wants out. as an expat who grew up down there and knows the plusses and minuses, i can tell you that it's not for everyone. there is nothing wrong with what you disparage - some might even say that's real life (as opposed to south florida). certainly, after growing up down there never experiencing a change in season, i can now say that i could never again live somewhere where there are no seasons (and this is something jay alluded to as well).
Haha, yeah I'm sure it's nice, depends on your preference. I grew up in South Florida and go to school in Gainesville in Northern FLA (we actually have about 2.5 seasons there relative to 1 in South Florida), but I live a year in rural Southwestern Ontario, Canada and generally visit there every summer. I've stacked hay bales myself and all lol, but definitely prefer South FLA to that even though I loved it when I was younger.

Anyways though, I was more poking fun at Bouwmeester's quiet and shy demeanor rather than anything else. I don't care for him, but I do think he's a great player. I think we could get back great players in a trade if we do the right moves, so hopefully Martin does what he needs to do.

Old
07-05-2008, 08:31 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
Did you seriously just post this?

Driving tractors? Plowing fields?

Maybe, just maybe, he's tired of playing for an organization that perpetually seems to have it's head firmly planted up it's ass every year.
I was kidding. I don't actually mean that. My mom grew up on a farm in rural Ontario and I lived there for a couple years.

I just wish he'd rather try and be part of the solution. Obviously, we've made some drastic moves, and when Martin is finally spelling out a plan to improve the defense, it doesn't help when the #1 defensman that the team is built around decides to jet out of town.

Old
07-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Chain Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Same thoughts, good analysis
of the situation at hand EA.

Keep him for the first part of the season, then have discussions with him in DEC.JAN. No go by then deal him and bring in someone who wants to be here. Panthers need a good start to the season...it is so pivotal to the future of this franchise. I can feel the pressure already from all the way up here!
Not to stray off topic, but how did you become a panthers fan all the way out in Calgary?

Old
07-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
This is a load of crap
Why does he have to be awarded a 1 year contract only?

Old
07-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Hey guys, I am a new user... Just wanted to say I hope we are able to hold on to Bo!

Old
07-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Booth10

He is the first player that ever said he wanted to leave South Florida that i can remember.
I dont think if we were winning Jay stays here.
It would sure help to have a winning tradition.

Old
07-05-2008, 08:42 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
I was kidding. I don't actually mean that. My mom grew up on a farm in rural Ontario and I lived there for a couple years.

I just wish he'd rather try and be part of the solution. Obviously, we've made some drastic moves, and when Martin is finally spelling out a plan to improve the defense, it doesn't help when the #1 defensman that the team is built around decides to jet out of town.
Okay, I get it.

As for him wanting to jet...while I don't necessarily blame JM for the putrid culture this organization has developed the past 8 years, it's a long climb to get out of this mess, and maybe Jay isn't confident it will happen anytime soon.

Jay had to live through the ignominy of Dudley affecting his draft position, then seeing Keenan take over and dismantle the team, then seeing 2 fellow core teammates traded for less equivalent players...he could get the feeling that this is a perpetual vicious cycle he's stuck in.

Old
Montsy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias4Prez View Post
Hey guys, I am a new user... Just wanted to say I hope we are able to hold on to Bo!
It's not happening, we have the money to sign him and it doesn't look like its happening. Clearly he wants out or there is something else going on??

Old
Robbinsr

Anyone else feel he is still harboring animosity over not being drafted first overall and paid first overall money. Remember the Panthers drafted him and although holding the first overall pick traded down with Columbus so they could select Rick Nash (thus relegating Atlanta to drafting Kari Lehtonen).

I remember Bouwmeester being quite upset at the time (especially when it came time to sign his entry level contract).

In hindsight, I guess I would have rather had Rick Nash...

Old
07-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
It's not happening, we have the money to sign him and it doesn't look like its happening. Clearly he wants out or there is something else going on??
how is it clear that he wants out?

Old
07-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbinsr View Post
Anyone else feel he is still harboring animosity over not being drafted first overall and paid first overall money. Remember the Panthers drafted him and although holding the first overall pick traded down with Columbus so they could select Rick Nash (thus relegating Atlanta to drafting Kari Lehtonen).

I remember Bouwmeester being quite upset at the time (especially when it came time to sign his entry level contract).

In hindsight, I guess I would have rather had Rick Nash...
You never know, would be nice having Nash... Its easier to feel the impact right away with forwards too so if we can get him signed long term it will pay off eventually...

Closed Thread