HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What about an offer sheet to Valterri Filppula?

Old
07-05-2008, 07:54 PM
BJG

vCash: 500
Ok. Once again, and slowly for some of you. The fact that Bob said he wouldn't do it is not an argument against it being a good idea. If you recall, Bob also once said we didn't need an enforcer, and he now realizes that we do. He is a smart man who is capable of changing his mind.

Second, of course I would prefer Mats, but if isn't coming, I can't see how upgrading at center is a bad thing. Everyone was thrilled with Bob locking up AKost for 3.5 and VF has similar numbers, albeit more games played, and a ring. BG was smart to lock him up for three years so another team couldn't poach. Well, Holland hasn't done that with VF, and that's not our problem.

For the last time, if you don't think it's a good hockey move, then I have no argument with you. But this idea that going after RFAs is Bush league is ridiculous. Read Lowe's interview from this week. Even after he and Burke went at it over the offer sheet to Penner, they still made the Pronger deal because it made sense for both teams. If BG upset Holland (and if you read the Wings' thread on this subject you will see that their fans understand that these things happen and, depending on the price, they would understand KH taking the picks or matching, without feelings of rage), I am sure that if a future deal came about that benefited the Habs and Wings, both would pull the trigger. These men are professionals.

Teams are going to come after RFAs, including ours, more and more often. We might as well get used to it. And do it to them before they do it to us. Finally, and for the las time, the RFA status is in the CBA for a reason. If nobody were ever to use it, they would not have it on the books. All an offer to VP does is force Holland to make a move with his player, something he will have to do eventually anyway.

I am going to have sushi. Flame away. I'll check in later.

Last edited by BJG: 07-05-2008 at 08:01 PM.
BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
Ok. Once again, and slowly for some of you. The fact that Bob said he wouldn't do it is not an argument against it being a good idea. If you recall, Bob also once said we didn't need an enforcer, and he now realizes that we do. He is a smart man who is capable of changing his mind.

Second, of course I would prefer Mats, but if isn't coming, I can't see how upgrading at center is a bad thing. Everyone was thrilled with Bob locking up AKost for 3.5 and VF has similar numbers, albeit more games played, and a ring. BG was smart to lock him up for three years so another team couldn't poach. Well, Holland hasn't done that with VF, and that's not our problem.

For the last time, if you don't think it's a good hockey move, then I have no argument with you. But this idea that going after RFAs is Bush league is ridiculous. Read Lowe's interview from this week. Even after he and Burke went at it over the offer sheet to Penner, they still made the Pronger deal because it made sense for both teams. If BG upset Holland (and if you read the Wings' thread on this subject you will see that their fans understand that these things happen and, depending on the price, they would understand KH taking the picks or matching, without feelings of rage), I am sure that if a future deal came about that benefited the Habs and Wings, both would pull the trigger. These men are professionals.

Teams are going to come after RFAs, including ours, more and more often. We might as well get used to it. And do it to them before they do it to us. Finally, and for the las time, the RFA status is in the CBA for a reason. If nobody were ever to use it, they would not have it on the books. All an offer to VP does is force Holland to make a move with his player, something he will have to do eventually anyway.

I am going to have sushi. Flame away. I'll check in later.
I agree with most of what you said; i don't think you can ignore this route of going after players. I particularly liked your earlier post on this.

However I just don't think Filpulla is good enough to make me want to both overpay him... and give up draft picks (which are the cheap way of filling the team with good players in a cap system). To me it doesn't make sense asa hockey move for this player. I think it has to be a guy you can poach with a low offer and thus give up minimal draft picks... or a big time superstar ala a malkin, crosby, ovechkin in RFA. I don't think the middle of the road guys are worth the move for the most part. The double whammy of overpaying and draftpicks is not one I like.

Also I'm gonna point out that the Pronger deal was done before the Penner deal.... Pronger and Penner were both part of the Stanley Cup Champion Ducks.... Pronger trade was summer of 06.... Penner Offer sheet was summer 07.

P.S. if you end up in the same sushi place as Mats Sundin, can you settle for us once and for all what type of sushi he is eating.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Flame away? Your the one telling people to grow up, secondly the trade for Pronger happened before the offer sheet...oh yeah, Penner also had a ring at the time.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Beakermania*

VF filed for arbitration today.... There goes the idea of an offer sheet.... you can't give an offer sheet to a guy who is headed to arbitration, whether that is team selected or player selected arbitration.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:42 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
2.6 M is enough.
Just a little hit on Detroit toward the SCap.
We win in both case.

But I don't expect BG to do this. This would be like declaring war on Detroit.

Certainly like the idea. 4M is way too much.
Can't do 2.6M, because we don't have our own second round pick next year. We traded it to Calgary in the Tanguay deal.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote