HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers interested in Teemu Selanne

Old
07-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Hawker14

vCash: 500
I think Selanne is the class of this year's free agent crop, even if he is 38. Whoever gets him should consider themselves very lucky.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Wheatking

I can't believe this thread has made it to 4 pages. I'm sure there are many teams that are interested in Selanne. I can't see him playing for anyone other than the Ducks.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
If Selanne does decide he wants to play another year, how can the Ducks even afford him?

What are their options? Trade Schneider to a salary floor team for the rights to Rexi Routsalainen?
If he plays it'll be with the ducks.

Book it.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

This thread is silly.... If Lowe wasn't interested in Selanne he would be a foolish person. Everyone has some sort of interest in Selanne and im sure at least a dozen teams have made a call to express interest...

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
If Teemu's kids are serious about hockey (and based on the his interview on Finnish tv shown during the Worlds, where the boys played ballhockey in the background by the pool and one of them showed decent stickhandling skills, they might be), they might actually be thrilled to get a chance to experience winter and play pond hockey throughout the winter. Just a thought.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:12 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
If he plays it'll be with the ducks.

Book it.
So who leaves town to make cap room?

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Schneider. Possibly Marchant as well.

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Sean Garrity
#51in15 eh?

Quote:
depends how much he wants too. If he takes a paycut and takes 2-3 M, that is cake to fit under the cap. If push comes to shove, trade marchant or schneider for picks.

Teemu>>Marchant+Schneider.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:43 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
depends how much he wants too. If he takes a paycut and takes 2-3 M, that is cake to fit under the cap. If push comes to shove, trade marchant or schneider for picks.

Teemu>>Marchant+Schneider.
Irish Blue's site says you guys have a grand total of $315,000 in cap space left (after accounting for potential bonuses, Todd the Rodd's buyout, etc) ...and it looks like that only factors in 20 bodies. So even if Selanne signed for the league minimum, somebody has to move.

I'm no capologist, but it kind of looks like the Ducks are going to have to move a salary just to field a 22-man roster, even without Teemu coming back. Marchant's salary alone probably wouldn't be enough unless Teemu is feeling really generous.

Schneider's salary might be, but I'm curious to see how much it costs the Ducks to unload him.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Schneider's salary might be, but I'm curious to see how much it costs the Ducks to unload him.
It ain't gonna cost the Ducks **** to unload him. Worst case scenario they get a 2nd, maybe a 3rd for him and it's alright. Best case scenario, he's packaged for Vermette or Zajac and the Ducks get a 2nd line center.

Old
07-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Live from Rexall

You honestly think teams will be lining up at your door to take a 39 year old 6 million dollar defenceman that frankly isnt really that good anymore. Im thinking this one will cost burkie schnieder and a 2nd for a 6th but i guess we'll have to wait and see.

Live from Rexall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Vector

Everyone is interested in Teemu Selanne.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:35 PM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
It ain't gonna cost the Ducks **** to unload him. Worst case scenario they get a 2nd, maybe a 3rd for him and it's alright. Best case scenario, he's packaged for Vermette or Zajac and the Ducks get a 2nd line center.
Schneider will make 5.75m this season, and comes with a 5.625m cap hit. As he's over 35, the only way his cap hit is removed is if he's traded, or if he's injured to the point of being unable to play in the opinion of the NHL's doctors (Mogilny.)

Looking at the New Jersey Devils - they're not likely able to take on additional Salary (1,350,594 in cap room, less $984,200 for Zajac.) Unless the Ducks are willing to take on additional Salary, I can't see NJD taking on Schneider.

Looking at Ottawa - they have the cap space to take on Schneider, but given his age and play, why would they? 12 goals in 65 games last season, averaging 22 minutes, and 5.75m. That's a great deal to pay for any defenseman, much less one that's 39 years old.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Based on the moves Burke made in similar situations? Perry.

Old
07-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
This thread is silly.... If Lowe wasn't interested in Selanne he would be a foolish person. Everyone has some sort of interest in Selanne and im sure at least a dozen teams have made a call to express interest...
Not to mention the fact that Lowe was all over Hossa, then Jagr, two other right wingers.

... maybe that's why Ryder went for 4 Mil. Some insane bidding war?

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Based on the moves Burke made in similar situations? Perry.
Marchant.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Irish Blue's site says you guys have a grand total of $315,000 in cap space left (after accounting for potential bonuses, Todd the Rodd's buyout, etc) ...and it looks like that only factors in 20 bodies. So even if Selanne signed for the league minimum, somebody has to move.

I'm no capologist, but it kind of looks like the Ducks are going to have to move a salary just to field a 22-man roster, even without Teemu coming back. Marchant's salary alone probably wouldn't be enough unless Teemu is feeling really generous.

The Ducks could be in a bit of trouble if the Canucks are interested. What's stopping Mike Gillis from giving Selanne a Sundin like offer? IMO Selanne is probably a better player than Sakic at this point and Vancouver has over $16mil in cap space, only 2 roster spots to fill and one natural right winger on the club in Steve Bernier.

If I was Mike Gillis I wouldn't hesitate to offer at least $8mil per on a 1-2 year deal.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Yeah, the Oilers could be enticing too. Pond hockey for the kids etc.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Sean Garrity
#51in15 eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live from Rexall View Post
You honestly think teams will be lining up at your door to take a 39 year old 6 million dollar defenceman that frankly isnt really that good anymore. Im thinking this one will cost burkie schnieder and a 2nd for a 6th but i guess we'll have to wait and see.
no, but you are horribly wrong if you think he isn't that good anymore and that there aren't teams that would want his services for ONE YEAR. He will produce around 50-60 pts. Look what he did last year on the 2nd PP unit a unit that was in the bottom 3rd of the league btw, and a team 3rd to last in scoring. 39 pts in 65 games playing on the 3rd D pairing with Kent Huskins(yes i know who?) and was a +22. Obviouslly you don't watch him enough to open your mouth.

On the majority of teams he could easily step into a 1st PP unit and possibly be a top 2 defender on that team.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Selanne won't go to Edmonton and besides Edmonton needs alot more than just Selanne anyway!!!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
Looking at Ottawa - they have the cap space to take on Schneider, but given his age and play, why would they? 12 goals in 65 games last season, averaging 22 minutes, and 5.75m. That's a great deal to pay for any defenseman, much less one that's 39 years old.
Whether you want to believe it or not, Schneider's contract isn't an albatross anymore. His salary is basically the going rate for a good offensive defenseman now, and being a UFA after next year is a big plus for teams who are looking for a short-term fix on the blueline. And who cares if he's 39? He's still a very good defensemen, both offensively and defensively. He will probably play ~70 games and score 40-50 points. He'd be a very smart addition for a team who is 1 solid piece away from being a contender.

Old
07-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Selanne won't go to Edmonton and besides Edmonton needs alot more than just Selanne anyway!!!
Actually no we dont. All we need is a winger that is a sniper and can play with Hemsky. Also a physical defencemen. Also if we even get a top line winger or not, we still have a good top 6 forward line with good potential.

Ice Whole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:16 PM
dre2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
The Ducks could be in a bit of trouble if the Canucks are interested. What's stopping Mike Gillis from giving Selanne a Sundin like offer? IMO Selanne is probably a better player than Sakic at this point and Vancouver has over $16mil in cap space, only 2 roster spots to fill and one natural right winger on the club in Steve Bernier.

If I was Mike Gillis I wouldn't hesitate to offer at least $8mil per on a 1-2 year deal.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Yeah, the Oilers could be enticing too. Pond hockey for the kids etc.
Selanne has to accept the offer from Vancouver or Edmonton in order for Burke to have to match it. Unless they throw something his way he CAN'T refuse, Selanne is going nowhere. I don't think Edmonton or Vancouver are interested in giving up high picks for Selanne. Judging by the 2 paycuts he took to stay in Anaheim over the last few years, I doubt he's going to accept anyone's offer and put Burke in a spot.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Byrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdHC View Post
Selanne has to accept the offer from Vancouver or Edmonton in order for Burke to have to match it. Unless they throw something his way he CAN'T refuse, Selanne is going nowhere. I don't think Edmonton or Vancouver are interested in giving up high picks for Selanne. Judging by the 2 paycuts he took to stay in Anaheim over the last few years, I doubt he's going to accept anyone's offer and put Burke in a spot.

Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdHC View Post
Selanne's not an RFA.

Old
07-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Go_Krog*

Selanne was the best right wing in the western conference. every team in the league is interested in him. its all dependent on if he is interested in them.

Go_Krog* is offline   Reply With Quote