HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Which unlikely team will tank next year?

Old
07-05-2008, 06:19 PM
8snake

vCash: 500
I'll replace the word "tank" with "under-perform according to expectations"....

1. San Jose-for reasons I stated in another thread, San Jose is great in goal and suspect everywhere else.

2. Edmonton fans say bring on Detroit....with a suspect back-end, an average goalie and the hope their young players ALL take another step next season. Some Oiler fans peg this team as a contender...they'll be in a fight for their life just to make the dance.

3. Pittsburgh-Satan and Fedotenko make this team slower and less explosive. Will MAF build on a solid season or regress? IMO he takes a step back.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake View Post

1. San Jose-for reasons I stated in another thread, San Jose is great in goal and suspect everywhere else.

2. Edmonton fans say bring on Detroit....with a suspect back-end, an average goalie and the hope their young players ALL take another step next season. Some Oiler fans peg this team as a contender...they'll be in a fight for their life just to make the dance.

3. Pittsburgh-Satan and Fedotenko make this team slower and less explosive. Will MAF build on a solid season or regress? IMO he takes a step back.
It is ordained by God that we will lose when a generational level player becomes available. Tavares will be centering our fourth line when we open our new building. Amen.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 07:30 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
Wish in one hand..crap in the other my friend

Calgary has upgraded everything on their roster except a replacement for Juice, their bottom 6 is younger/faster and harder to play against, that pylon Erikkson and his game losing turnovers is gone. this is July 5th and i suspect Sutter will find a decent enough top 6 before training camp.

Personally i like this Flames team way more than last year, we were also right in the hunt for the NW title despite a brutal season from Kipper, I just can't see him not being better.
You better stay away from the Northwest Division title my friend, seems like its been cursed ever since the Colorado 2002 season. Since then, Vancouver 07 are the only team that managed to pass the first round...ever other team has whimpered out in Round 1.

I'm hoping for a better year from Kiprusoff though...

EpochLink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Celestial Black

The funniest part of this thread is that mostly devil fans say the rangers will tank and one ranger fan says the devils. Oh how I laugh at the hatred.

My vote goes to Ottawa.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:15 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Quote:

What? They were definitely suspect on defense 3 days ago, but not any more. And anyone who says they're suspect at forward is insane.

EDIT: Okay, I found your post in that other thread. Calling Christian Ehrhoff simply "serviceable" was very, very funny.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:11 PM
8snake

Quote:
What? They were definitely suspect on defense 3 days ago, but not any more. And anyone who says they're suspect at forward is insane.
Rob Blake playing heavy minutes (which he will) could be a disaster. 38 years old with little to no mobility left and prolonged periods of abysmal play in LA speak to that. Dan Boyle will find the tempo and physical style of the West much more challenging, and could struggle. Lukowich is awful.

Quote:
EDIT: Okay, I found your post in that other thread. Calling Christian Ehrhoff simply "serviceable" was very, very funny.
What is Ehrhoff then? He skates very well and has a rocket that never hits the net. He's not a shut-down guy, not a physical presence nor is he an offensive wizard. He is what he is...serviceable.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:19 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post
Some of my guesses:

Washington = I don't think Ovechkin will have as good of a year next year. Theodore will go back to sucking hard since it isn't a contract-year. Backstrom will cool down a little. Plus, they needed a scorching hot-streak to make the playoffs last season. I doubt such a hot-streak occurs two seasons in a row.

Tampa Bay = Most people have pencilled them in as legit Eastern contenders after the moves they have made. But in my opinion, they simply have subtracted even more from their already weak defense. Boyle was a stud defenseman, and Lukowich was serviceable. Toss in the fact that I think neither Prospal or Malone are sure bets to produce offense like they did last year.

Chicago = Kane and Toews will get better. But not as exponentially better as most people think. And I can't see Campbell making that much of a difference. He will make them better, for sure, but it isn't as though the Blackhawks just added an elite defenseman whose mere presence guarantees a playoff spot.
Wow...Kane and Toews get better and Backstrom backs up?? What the hell is this?

I guess I should have expected this. The Caps were a flash in the pan nice story, but they will return to the doormat they have been the last few years.

You guys are really wrong. BTW...the Caps made the playoffs with a goaltender playing most of their games that was as bad or worse than any stretch that Theodore has ever had.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

It will depend on which star players have an off year.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Judge Sauer*

Anaheim will be my vote

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:34 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

Quote:
No one thinks this team is a Cup contender. We're DIVISION contenders for sure. With a superstar(assuming we got Hossa or Jagr) we might make it deep but who knows what'll happen.

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rac3 View Post
The funniest part of this thread is that mostly devil fans say the rangers will tank and one ranger fan says the devils. Oh how I laugh at the hatred.

My vote goes to Ottawa.
It is pretty ridiculous. I think it was pretty easy to see my post was in jest, I hope others are doing the same.

If you're not, please provide some kind of explanation other than

"Rangers. I just have a hunch"

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:56 AM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

I don't see a team wit Pronger, Niedermayer, Giguere and Getzlaf and Perry tanking. Defense alone will get them into the playoffs. It's all up to the forwards as to how far they go.

To the people saying San Jose, Anaheim, Pittsburgh and Calgary...it seems more like who you want to tank...just my opinion though...I got no proof, just a hunch.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote