HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RUMOR: Kovalev wants a 3-year extension before camp

Old
07-06-2008, 11:23 AM
mooseOAK*

vCash: 500
Smart move, sell yourself when your value is highest knowing that your team won't like you when you're not happy.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:25 AM
SpreeEndaz

I just verified something and the fact I just looked up confirms that Kovalev will not get a 3 years deal. Why ? Because he's now 35 years old. If he signs a multi-years contract and retires before the end of it, we will be stuck paying it fully and it's not the type of move I see Gainey doing.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
I agree...2 year deal with team option for the 3rd year. Love Kovy but i can't see him playing like he did last season for 3 more years.
There are no option years in the new CBA.

The only options being exercised nowadays are left over contracts from the old CBA that had options built in (like the Alfredsson contract).

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Well, it's a Penguins news website, you often see "former Habs player X" when Montreal medias talk about the likes of Ron Hainsey.
Ya i guess..
It just seems like so long ago Kovy played for Pitts.

Doesn't really matter anyway.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:26 AM
znk

Kovy wants to stay in Montreal and 3/4 of the posters react as if he just requested a trade. I'm at a loss for words.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev Warrior View Post
http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/ see on the right.

This site have been right on every signing scoops since July 1st.

What do you think?
I don't blame him one bit...

This is his big chance for he and his family to be set for life. What if he got hurt this year?

Let Bob worry about it and enjoy your summer...

Born in 1909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Let not overreact here.... we're paying him 4.5 million now.... how much does he want... How dead set is he on the extension being three years... that is the questions we must ask first....

If he is willing to settle at 10 million for 2 years + a team option for the third year at 5million more.... I'd do it.
Why would you do this?

1st, the guy is 35.
2nd, the guy is as inconsistent as they come. How do we know which kovalev shows up this season.
3rd, it comes down to Tanguay vs Kovalev. We've got so many guys who can compete for top 6 spots on the wing...we're gonna have to let one of these two go.

I think Andrei can replace Kovalev's production as early as next year (09-10) and Sergei definitely deserves a spot on the top 6. Then, you've got Latendresse, Maxwell and Pacioretty who could all be shooting for a top 6 spot.

I say trade the guy while his value is high, very high. We could get a great prospect and pick for him.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Personally i'd wait

Yes he was fantastic last year but i'm still not sold on his year to year consistency. He could very well revert back to his 55pts lazy self next season so i'd wait too see how things unfold before taking a decision , especially considering all the other guys we need to sign next summer.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:30 AM
DrMailloux

At his age, if he sign for more money than he got in his last contract, there is something wrong with hockey...

The guy is getting old and need to take a paycut or he can leave...

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Kovy wants to stay in Montreal and 3/4 of the posters react as if he just requested a trade. I'm at a loss for words.
Errr, cuz we'd have to give him a raise... 5.5 or 6m at the very least. He's 35, inconsistent as **** and if you don't give him the contract, he'll play like **** all season long (which we don't even know how he'll play with the contract in the first place).

Not to mention the number of KEY RFAs and UFAs we have to sign next season.

Old
07-06-2008, 11:31 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Why would you do this?

1st, the guy is 35.
2nd, the guy is as inconsistent as they come. How do we know which kovalev shows up this season.
3rd, it comes down to Tanguay vs Kovalev. We've got so many guys who can compete for top 6 spots on the wing...we're gonna have to let one of these two go.

I think Andrei can replace Kovalev's production as early as next year (09-10) and Sergei definitely deserves a spot on the top 6. Then, you've got Latendresse, Maxwell and Pacioretty who could all be shooting for a top 6 spot.

I say trade the guy while his value is high, very high. We could get a great prospect and pick for him.
Kovalev is the only reason we finished where we did last season. You take away Kovalev and our PP goes down the gutter. He's the only player on the team who can truly control the pace of the game and play keep away.
People just dont realize how good this guy is or what?

Old
07-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Why would you do this?

1st, the guy is 35.

Not very good move for team chemistry.

I'd her him out. He did what was asked of him this year. He was easily very consistent this year, and who knows, maybe he is looking for stability over a hefty increase in pay. Nothing was said in regards to what Alex wants, other than he wants a 'talk'.

I say let him talk. he waited until the right time to do so. It is mid-July, not early January. And love it or hate it. many of the russian players we do have, love him because of his legendary status.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:33 AM
znk

Quote:
Errr, cuz we'd have to give him a raise... 5.5 or 6m at the very least. He's 35, inconsistent as **** and if you don't give him the contract, he'll play like **** all season long (which we don't even know how he'll play with the contract in the first place).

Not to mention the number of KEY RFAs and UFAs we have to sign next season.
How about before going all emo you wait to first know if this is just a BS rumour. And if true then what kind of numbers are being asked. Seriously stop crying like a little girl.

Old
07-06-2008, 11:34 AM
7th Player

Who really cares about what Kovy wants?
Kovy is the most exiting player on this team and one of my favorites

But the question is : What does Bob Gainey want?
Does he want Kovy on this team in the years to come?
Does he want to see what this team can do before seeing signing whoever to an extension?

Bob is on of the most calmest GM's in the league if not the calmest. He wont let Kovy threathen him for a contract.

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Mue

Quote:
Kovalev is the only reason we finished where we did last season. You take away Kovalev and our PP goes down the gutter. He's the only player on the team who can truly control the pace of the game and play keep away.
People just dont realize how good this guy is or what?
I think people certainly realize how good he can be. People also realize that Kovalev is known for disappearing for entire seasons at a time. Maybe he'll get an extension worth more money, I have no freaking clue anymore when it comes to value of contracts in this league...but his well documented inconsistency makes it unwise to sign that extension until this upcoming season is over and we see how he plays.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
How about before going all emo you wait to first know if this is just a BS rumour. And if true then what kind of numbers are being asked. Seriously stop crying like a little girl.
Yes, cuz I am crying. I'm telling you why people are pissed if this rumor turns out to be true.

Old
07-06-2008, 11:36 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMailloux View Post
At his age, if he sign for more money than he got in his last contract, there is something wrong with hockey...

The guy is getting old and need to take a paycut or he can leave...
It has nothing to do with age...he just had one of his best seasons. He was our best player last season. Have you all gone insane?

Old
07-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Not very good move for team chemistry.

I'd her him out. He did what was asked of him this year. He was easily very consistent this year, and who knows, maybe he is looking for stability over a hefty increase in pay. Nothing was said in regards to what Alex wants, other than he wants a 'talk'.

I say let him talk. he waited until the right time to do so. It is mid-July, not early January. And love it or hate it. many of the russian players we do have, love him because of his legendary status.
We're all overreacting hear....

OMG KOVALEV WANTS A THREE YEAR EXTENSION....

I bet every single one of Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay, Komisarek, etc (all of next years FAs) would love an extension this year before training camp if the terms were right $$$ and years..... before we hear the kinda money Kovalev is asking for we should really go all with this rumor.

We also don't know what context the question was raised in..... Did Kovalev come out and say it... Did a reporter say Alex if Gainey offered you a contract before camp for a three year extension at good money would you take it??

All we know is he wants to stay in Montreal... and thats a good thing from my point of view.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:39 AM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
It has nothing to do with age...he just had one of his best seasons. He was our best player last season. Have you all gone insane?
It has EVERYTHING to do with his age znk but not how Shabutie means it. The problem is, when you retire during a contract you sign when you are 35 years old or more, the team is stuck with the cap hit for the rest of the contract.

I know Kovalev wants to play for a long time but if in 3 years (2 years into his new contract) he gets a big injury and he decides to call it a quit, we might not be able to afford a new winger for the rest of his contract length to replace him because of the cap hit.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:41 AM
rocketlives

If Michael Ryder can get $4M/yr in Boston for 3 years, I'm sure Kovy is worth $5M per year for the next 3 years. If the Habs satisfy him, they have to do likewise with Saku and also Komi.

BG should come to terms with these 3 key players and if there is any caproom left, then he can go after Sundin. If there isn't, let's forget about Sundin.

I can understand Kovalev. If the little twerp who was throwing paper airplanes from the press box can get 3X$4M, I'd also like my toasts to be buttered on both sides as well.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
znk

Quote:
Yes, cuz I am crying. I'm telling you why people are pissed if this rumor turns out to be true.
What part of that rumour pisses of people?
It just says 3 years. What if he asked for the same cap hit? You're all reacting as if the rumour was "Kovalev asks for $9M/Y extension".

Like I said...crying like little girls.

Old
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Let not overreact here.... we're paying him 4.5 million now.... how much does he want... How dead set is he on the extension being three years... that is the questions we must ask first....

If he is willing to settle at 10 million for 2 years + a team option for the third year at 5million more.... I'd do it.
I didnt think about it that way...

5.5 sounds like something that would fly with him...

Bouillon and Dandy will be off the books for sure next season and will be more than likely replaced by some prospect (IE McDo, Valen, Yemelin, etc)

Thats feasable...

I'd go 3 yrs, 1rst year 5.75, 2nd year 5.25, 3rd year 4.75 Cap hit 5.25

Old
07-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
That was one ****ing season. The guy has 1 good season then follows up with a **** season. He's followed this pattern the last 5 years...

We don't know what we're getting this season and I certainly wouldn't sign this guy to an extension before at least mid-point of this year.

Old
07-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Le Tricolore
J-E-T-S!

vCash: 152
Quote:
hahaha, yeah, I was thinking the same.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Kaptain Bégin

The cap hit is more important than the number of years. I don't know how much he want, but I think he deserves a little bit more than Markov after his last season. Maybe 17M$ on 3 years?

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote