HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RUMOR: Kovalev wants a 3-year extension before camp

Old
07-06-2008, 11:46 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
If Michael Ryder can get $4M/yr in Boston for 3 years, I'm sure Kovy is worth $5M per year for the next 3 years. If the Habs satisfy him, they have to do likewise with Saku and also Komi.

BG should come to terms with these 3 key players and if there is any caproom left, then he can go after Sundin. If there isn't, let's forget about Sundin.

I can understand Kovalev. If the little twerp who was throwing paper airplanes from the press box can get 3X$4M, I'd also like my toasts to be buttered on both sides as well.
Doubt Kovalev is interested in a 500K raise for the next 3 years...think more 6-6.25M

Would I do it? Tough call, but if I would, then it means bye bye Koivu after this year.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Mue

So? Taking a moderate, more conservative position regarding this unconfirmed rumour regarding a contract extension translates to overreacting or being a little girl?

This place is hilarious.

Mue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:47 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
It has EVERYTHING to do with his age znk but not how Shabutie means it. The problem is, when you retire during a contract you sign when you are 35 years old or more, the team is stuck with the cap hit for the rest of the contract.

I know Kovalev wants to play for a long time but if in 3 years (2 years into his new contract) he gets a big injury and he decides to call it a quit, we might not be able to afford a new winger for the rest of his contract length to replace him because of the cap hit.
So we shouldnt sign Sundin either uh?
What about Hamrlik?
Koivu!

If he retires because of injury then he wont count against the cap. Kovalev will still be in the NHL in 5 years. Unless Omsk calls next summer.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Kovy did not ask for this....it is a false rumour.

Don't believe it.

Riverside Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Natural Habs Fan

I'm thinking 15-16.5 million over 3 years.

A great player and a good mentor for the Kost brothers.

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Doubt Kovalev is interested in a 500K raise for the next 3 years...think more 6-6.25M

Would I do it? Tough call, but if I would, then it means bye bye Koivu after this year.
so giving Kovalev a raise of 1.5 million when we are about 8 million under the cap means bye-bye koivu.....

With Dandenault and Bouillion off the books too....

And a potential rise in the cap....

ok... don't see the logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
What about Hamrlik?
Koivu!

If he retires because of injury then he wont count against the cap. Kovalev will still be in the NHL in 5 years. Unless Omsk calls next summer.
Exactly retirement due to injury means LITR and he's off the cap... .its if he retires by choice that we have to accept the cap hit.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-06-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
so giving Kovalev a raise of 1.5 million when we are about 8 million under the cap means bye-bye koivu.....

Why re-up both Kovalev and Koivu for another 3 years?

That's the logic I don't see...

Old
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
What about Hamrlik?
Koivu!

Well, where did you read we offered Sundin a 3 years long contract ?

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:50 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
So? Taking a moderate, more conservative position regarding this unconfirmed rumour regarding a contract extension translates to overreacting or being a little girl?

This place is hilarious.
Just the opposite.

A moderate conservative approach is what I want to read. Something like. "Hummm I wonder what kind of Salary he would be looking for?" Not..."OMG trad him now." or "I think he can **** off."

Old
07-06-2008, 11:51 AM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Exactly retirement due to injury means LITR and he's off the cap... .its if he retires by choice that we have to accept the cap hit.
Beaker, I think you are wrong on this one. I have read recently that all contracts signed after 35 will count in the cap hit, whatever happens to the player even UFO abduction, mysterious disappearance or anything of this kind.

Quote from Jagr:

"But it looks like with the new [Collective Barganing Agreement], it's tough for older guys to sign long-term contracts because teams are worried you're going to get injured or retire and they're stuck with the salary on the salary cap."

Old
07-06-2008, 11:53 AM
znk

Quote:
Well, where did you read we offered Sundin a 3 years long contract ?
I read two years. He's two years older then Kovalev.
Harmlik is one year younger then Kovalev and he still has 4 years on his contract.

3 years is short compared to all the contracts that were handed out to older players this off season.

Old
07-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Hmm interesting. Now if I assume this is true then it puts Gainey in a difficult position. We've all seen what a distracted Kovalev looks like (two seasons ago) and we've seen what a focused Kovalev looks like (this past season). If this is true then the media will run with it and make it a distraction. I'm not totally against re-signing him but I would have my limits on a dollar value. I'd be curious as to what type of money he is looking for.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:55 AM
guest1467

I don't see how Kovalev could get a raise, regardless of how many points he scores.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:56 AM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
I read two years. He's two years older then Kovalev.
Harmlik is one year younger then Kovalev and he still has 4 years on his contract.

3 years is short compared to all the contracts that were handed out to older players this off season.
znk, Hamrlik signed his contract before being 35, therefore, the rule doesn't apply to him and if he retires during the contract from what I understood of this rule.

Old
07-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
We're all overreacting hear....

OMG KOVALEV WANTS A THREE YEAR EXTENSION....

I bet every single one of Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay, Komisarek, etc (all of next years FAs) would love an extension this year before training camp if the terms were right $$$ and years..... before we hear the kinda money Kovalev is asking for we should really go all with this rumor.

We also don't know what context the question was raised in..... Did Kovalev come out and say it... Did a reporter say Alex if Gainey offered you a contract before camp for a three year extension at good money would you take it??

All we know is he wants to stay in Montreal... and thats a good thing from my point of view.
Totally Agree

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Shabutie

Quote:

Next season a few of our players are getting big paydays. Plekanec, Komisarek, Higgins being 3. If Ryder is making 4m/season, what do you expect Pleks + Higgins to ask? I'd guess they both get 4m+ (after all A.Kost got 3.25 after one season).

If Jeff 'Sauer' Finger is making 3.5m/season what do you expect Komisarek to ask? Keep in mind Komisarek is UFA. He should be making 5m/season easy, but hopefully we can lock him at 4.5m.

Then you've got Lats who will probably go for 1.5m-2m.

So basically we can sign two of Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev. Personally, I know which 2 I'd keep.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Beaker, I think you are wrong on this one. I have read recently that all contracts signed after 35 will count in the cap hit, whatever happens to the player even UFO abduction, mysterious disappearance or anything of this kind.

Quote from Jagr:

"But it looks like with the new [Collective Barganing Agreement], it's tough for older guys to sign long-term contracts because teams are worried you're going to get injured or retire and they're stuck with the salary on the salary cap."
I remember this being an issue with Mogilny.... Lamorillo got him off the Devils cap when they were able to prove to league doctors that his hip was chronically injured and he could not come back at all...

For example lets say Kovalev has a simple break of his leg that puts him out for two months, but he decides to retire.... well he'd be on LITR for the normal healing time 2mths ... after that he would have to come back, if not he counts against the cap cause its not a chronic condition that prevents him from playing hockey.

now lets say kovalev gets a career ending condition... multiple concussions and is forced on doctors orders to retire... well then he is on LITR for the whole time.

By the way the Mogilny issue was under this CBA.

Old
07-06-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Next season a few of our players are getting big paydays. Plekanec, Komisarek, Higgins being 3. If Ryder is making 4m/season, what do you expect Pleks + Higgins to ask? I'd guess they both get 4m+ (after all A.Kost got 3.25 after one season).

If Jeff 'Sauer' Finger is making 3.5m/season what do you expect Komisarek to ask? Keep in mind Komisarek is UFA. He should be making 5m/season easy, but hopefully we can lock him at 4.5m.

Then you've got Lats who will probably go for 1.5m-2m.

So basically we can sign two of Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev. Personally, I know which 2 I'd keep.
Same here...and that's exactly what I brought up earlier

Old
07-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Same here...and that's exactly what I brought up earlier
Thats all fine and dandy... and its assuming Kovalev wants at least 6... .which we don't even have confirmed yet.

Old
07-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
You give a guy of that kinda caliber what ever he wants, as long as there is no "NTC" that way we can just trade him if things go sour in a couple of years(It's an asset), Koivu comes off the books after this season anyway. You have to take Kovalev 1st, since we can't seem to be able to attract any other star goal scorers on the F/A.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:06 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
I remember this being an issue with Mogilny.... Lamorillo got him off the Devils cap when they were able to prove to league doctors that his hip was chronically injured and he could not come back at all...

For example lets say Kovalev has a simple break of his leg that puts him out for two months, but he decides to retire.... well he'd be on LITR for the normal healing time 2mths ... after that he would have to come back, if not he counts against the cap cause its not a chronic condition that prevents him from playing hockey.

now lets say kovalev gets a career ending condition... multiple concussions and is forced on doctors orders to retire... well then he is on LITR for the whole time.

By the way the Mogilny issue was under this CBA.
Nevertheless, let's not forget about how real businesses go and when some people like Lamoriello pulls the strings of important people behind the scenes, the facts can easily be twisted at his will.

Old
07-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Guillemin

3 / 18 M?

Up yours, Alex.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Mue

Quote:
Just the opposite.

A moderate conservative approach is what I want to read. Something like. "Hummm I wonder what kind of Salary he would be looking for?" Not..."OMG trad him now." or "I think he can **** off."
Obviously it is all speculation but with that being said - granting Kovalev an extension based on last season would be an overreaction as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not as hard on Kovalev as some are (people seem to forget that he also put up 65 points in 69 games in his first full season here) but there is no denying that Kovalev can disappear for an entire season - any extension for any amount of money for a player of Kovalev's temperament would be high risk in my opinion. Resistance to such an idea is what I expected to see when I saw the thread title.

Mue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Shabutie

Quote:
Thats all fine and dandy... and its assuming Kovalev wants at least 6... .which we don't even have confirmed yet.
This would be assuming Tanguay is going for at least 5m-6m (which he should...) and Koivu going down to 4m.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Hmm interesting. Now if I assume this is true then it puts Gainey in a difficult position. We've all seen what a distracted Kovalev looks like (two seasons ago) and we've seen what a focused Kovalev looks like (this past season). If this is true then the media will run with it and make it a distraction. I'm not totally against re-signing him but I would have my limits on a dollar value. I'd be curious as to what type of money he is looking for.
But what about the "soon to be UFA" Kovalev ? We've never seen this one. I bet he's pretty $ood .

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote