HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Retire Jagr's number?

Old
07-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Cherepanisimov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOONSQUAD View Post
Nope.. hasn't won a cup without someone elses help...
neither did messier, leetch, richter, or graves

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:22 AM
jmb9191

No Ranger should wear 68 again, but the 68 should not be hanging from the rafters.

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:25 AM
NYR Viper

i dont think so.......he only played 3 and a hlaf seasons with the rangers...as much as i want to see him have his # retired, he hasnt played here long enough

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:45 AM
nyr7andcounting

No way. They already went overboard by retiring Graves. Stop handing out jersey retirements like they're nothing.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Nubbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
No way. They already went overboard by retiring Graves. Stop handing out jersey retirements like they're nothing.

No way should Jagr's number be retired a ranger. it doesn't even make sense.

I don't know about going overboard with retiring Graves number. I can't see why you think that. This guy has done more off the ice than any other sports athlete in NY in the history of the city. Keep in mind, they aren't raising the banner just because of his hockey skills. That's not all that goes in it. This guy is one of the classiest player in professional sports. Let's remember who broke the scoring record first. Take 51 goals away from the 93-94 season. see if they still win that cup.

My face turned red in embarrassment when I read that comment.

Nubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:26 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
No way should Jagr's number be retired a ranger. it doesn't even make sense.

I don't know about going overboard with retiring Graves number. I can't see why you think that. This guy has done more off the ice than any other sports athlete in NY in the history of the city. Keep in mind, they aren't raising the banner just because of his hockey skills. That's not all that goes in it. This guy is one of the classiest player in professional sports. Let's remember who broke the scoring record first. Take 51 goals away from the 93-94 season. see if they still win that cup.

My face turned red in embarrassment when I read that comment.
Well I guess that's one of the main reasons. A lot of players do great things off the ice. Most teams have one or 2 players who are great leaders and involved in the community. I don't think that means their number should be retired.

And looking at the hockey side of things, he just wasn't a "great" player and he wasn't a career Ranger (or close to it). And I think a player should have to be at least one of those 2 things to have their number retired by a team.

Graves only played 2/3 of his career with the Rangers. He never scored 80 points in a season, and never averaged a point per game in any season.

He was a great complementary player. He scored a lot of goals playing with Messier and Leetch- a lot of players could have scored those goals. And yes he's a great guy off the ice. I love the guy but he's just not good enough to have a retired number in my opinion.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Billy The Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNE BETZKY View Post
Jagr is a hockey legend, and all you people that hate him goes to show jealously....to be hated means you are Great NOT good!!!!

He won CUPS

Beat everyone on the world stage and yes the Russians!!! Canada!!! Sweds!!!! the Flins!!!!

Dominated the league aa a scoring champ 5 times, and never complained about hooking clutching grabbing like Mario, and Gretz...

Mario threatened retirement because of it....in poor taste..

Jagr took hits because no one could hurt him, so strong on the puck the best defensive players chit themselves, because they couldn't get the puck from him........

He played the game the right way, I can't remember one time where he cheap shotted anyone....

Jagr it is a shame you are not in the NHL, but times change, and the GM's in this league are stupid for not paying you for 2 years, and KLO in Edmonton who cant get a siberian farmer to play there lost a chance to have the first true superstar since Kurri left. Ironically he lost the player to Siberia......KLO just doesn't get it.......thats why he struggles to make the post season...

Great job Jags I will miss your great play....NO he didn't play in NY long enough!

GREAT POST!! The NHL should be embarassed that he won't be playing in the league.

Billy The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Well I guess that's one of the main reasons. A lot of players do great things off the ice. Most teams have one or 2 players who are great leaders and involved in the community. I don't think that means their number should be retired.

And looking at the hockey side of things, he just wasn't a "great" player and he wasn't a career Ranger (or close to it). And I think a player should have to be at least one of those 2 things to have their number retired by a team.

Graves only played 2/3 of his career with the Rangers. He never scored 80 points in a season, and never averaged a point per game in any season.

He was a great complementary player. He scored a lot of goals playing with Messier and Leetch- a lot of players could have scored those goals. And yes he's a great guy off the ice. I love the guy but he's just not good enough to have a retired number in my opinion.
Absolutely agree.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:31 PM
BruceOp

Jagr's number gets retired in 10 years.

BruceOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:32 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Maybe the name and jersey, but not an official number retirement. Kind of like what they're doing with Bathgate and Howell

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 06:14 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koivu84 View Post
Best european player of all-time. Does his number get retired
Not in NY. Don't get me wrong, he was an amazing player, but it seemed like he didnt want to be in New York sometimes. They will retire his number in Pit. I'm 99% sure.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:52 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
r u kidding me!?!?!?!?!?!? what this man has done on and off the ice for the rangers and what he continues to do now is unbelievable...i cant believe u said that. he deserves it

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:05 PM
penshavehope

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayStorm View Post
He didn't play here long enough for that. At the same time, I doubt a 5th rate organization like the Penguins will give him the honor either. And after the way they treated him and the fact he didn't even try to go back now and decided to play in Russia, I doubt he would accept it either. I don't think him and Mario are as tight as people say.
you must of missed how the "Great Jagr" left hte city, whinning like a little wuss wanting out of the city - people in that town remember stuff like that, small tight city that loved Jagr but he ripped their hearts out, so they have a right to be bitter!!!!and yes I believe Mario gave him a fair chance to come home and make amends to the city-so he could retire the number!!! only two number retired in Pitts 21, and 66, if jagr came back it would have been three but not now! I wanted him to come back those bitter booos would have been cheerful glee. but he took his what 35 million and left(do not forget about the taxes he owed!

penshavehope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:06 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Championships/longevity = retired numbers

He has neither unfortunately.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I say retire as many as possible. Piss off the hockey geeks somethin fierce

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

This is kind of ridiculous. I love the guy, but he played just 3 seasons here, and the team never made it past the 2nd round. I dont think the fact that he turned a super ****** team into a slightly above average team should be the handicap to get his number retired.

Adam Graves is a stretch as it is.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Fletch

No to retiring his number...

opens Pandora's Box to retire many numbers. He had two very good seasons with New York. That's it. I'm grateful for his services, but retire his number? Nah.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:24 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

the only way you retire Jagr's number in New York is if he wins the Stanley cup and no way is that happening anymore.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:38 PM
bogans

I hope somebody wears the 68 next season. I mean, he was our scoring leader for three years. He was a great player, with a lot of heart, a guy who took the captaincy even though he didn't really feel it (obviously). He worked hard, but was never a leader and took us to the second round of the playoffs twice (or was that Sean Avery both times actually). Retire #16 before you retire #68. He was a Ranger and begrudgingly a captain, but never won anything in either role. Let Rissmiller wear #68 this season or something.

Last edited by bogans: 07-07-2008 at 04:44 PM.
bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
I hope somebody the 68 next season. I mean, he was our scoring leader for three years. He was a great player, with a lot of heart, a guy who took the captaincy even though he didn't really feel it (obviously). He worked hard, but was never a leader and took us to the second round of the playoffs twice (or was that Sean Avery both times actually). Retire #16 before you retire #68. He was a Ranger and begrudgingly a captain, but never won anything in either role. Let Rissmiller wear #68 this season or something.
Classy. Maybe we can have a ceremony where Jagr hands his #68 jersey to Rismiller

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Blueblood 2

Hollweg should take #68. Milbury is starting the sign up petition as we speak. Then when you combine the effort and production of both players it can be retired.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 05:55 PM
NotAloneJustBlue

Quote:
Thankfully the rest have gotten to you first so I won't even qualify your absurd statement about going overboard with Graves with a response.

As for Jagr, I would think that in the spirit of why jerseys get retired you could argue that his (and quite frankly he more than carried the team essentially on his own the first year) success in leading this club back to respectability would qualify. That said, it isn't enough and he didn't spend enough years in blue for it to make sense.

I definitely think he deserves a night to honor him and his contributions to the Rangers -- queue all the haters. I have yet to see a coherent, factually supported argument as to why it was imperative not to re-sign him. We didn't and that's life but I think the argument about how not signing him is a huge improvement for our team is dubious at best. He was an incredible Ranger and the only ammo that the naysayers have is an unfortunate off-year (which apparently guarantees his skill is gone just like Malone's career year proves from here on out he is going to be a top NHL forward) and his oft-misquoted and misinterpreted comments on how he didn't go 100% every night of the regular season. First, that's probably true for most player, especially aging ones and second, there were plenty of nights where he was on fire and dominating and just couldn't get a break (like any of his teammates) to save his life.

But I digress....retire? No. Honor and appreciate? Yes!

NotAloneJustBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 05:57 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOONSQUAD View Post
Nope.. hasn't won a cup without someone elses help...
Yeah because Adam Graves was a one man show?

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 11:40 PM
NY Ranger86

he does hold a NY ranger record for most points in a season. lol true tho.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 11:55 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:

I'm a little shocked that you're getting attacked for this opinion. I agree with you completely and so do over 40% of the people here.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=405568

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote