HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Why hasent anyone signed Jason Smith?

Old
07-06-2008, 12:06 PM
caveat emptor

vCash: 500
He is no better than a 5/6 D.

Gator was clearly on the decline when Lowe sent him to Philly. He regressed further as a Flyer. On the Oilers I don't think he would even be in our top 6 and a lot of other teams probably feel the same way. His foot speed is awful (he has lost a couple of steps) and he can't move the puck. All Gator can do is bang the puck off the glass, rim it around teh boards, or often merely slap it into the shin pads of the other team. He needs soft minutes, sheltering from the top players or he is exposed.

On the plus side, he is an old time hockey player and a warrior no doubt. Nobody has ever questioned Gator's courage. How much is that worth though? How much should a team pay for a defenceman capable of 12-15 minutes a night? I think paying 2.5 per year for that is crazy.

caveat emptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:08 PM
johnny_rudeboy

I hope he have not ruled out Europe. FBK needs a replacement for Jonas Frögren who signed for Toronto. JS would be perfect for that job.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Jason Smith isn't going to Sweden.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:16 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Jason Smith isn't going to Sweden.
Are U sure? I mean, at the end of the day it all comes down to playing at the highest level possible along with getting paid for it. If no NHL team wants him, then he could earn money in the SEL. And seeing as he isnt the fastest player around on his blades that isnt that big of a deal in the SEL as it is in the NHL. And our refs still dont penalize enough when players clutch and grab. But I guess with 30 teams in the league atleast some one will want him.

Old
07-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Are U sure? I mean, at the end of the day it all comes down to playing at the highest level possible along with getting paid for it. If no NHL team wants him, then he could earn money in the SEL. And seeing as he isnt the fastest player around on his blades that isnt that big of a deal in the SEL as it is in the NHL. And our refs still dont penalize enough when players clutch and grab. But I guess with 30 teams in the league atleast some one will want him.
Not with two school-aged kids who've lived their whole lives in North America, he's not.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:39 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post
Not with two school-aged kids who've lived their whole lives in North America, he's not.
Ok, that´s make sense.

Old
07-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
Saw this on another board, figure I'd pass it along.

Quote:
10: 05 a.m. TSN is reporting that Tampa Bay Lightning defenceman Dan Boyle has waived his no-trade clause and has agreed to a trade to the San Jose Sharks. its believed Tampa will receive a package that will include 23 old defenseman Matt Carle, a 1st round pick, a prospect and a 4th round. This trade opens up the door for the Lightning to sign Jason Smith. The Lightning are still looking to add another D-man or two, look for the Sydor to Tampa rumors to be in full swing.
- Pittsburgh insder
12:03pm ET - Sidenote in between emails... the Lightning might not be done with the Boyle trade. I'm hearing a lot of talk surrounding Filip Kuba, as well as free agent Jason Smith. This may not happen today or tomorrow, but I don't think they're done re-touching their blueline.

Butchered is offline   Reply With Quote