HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RUMOR: Kovalev wants a 3-year extension before camp

Old
07-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Guillemin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
But what about the "soon to be UFA" Kovalev ? We've never seen this one. I bet he's pretty $ood .
We actually did see this one, right after his acquisition. He was pretty friggin good.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Let not overreact here.... we're paying him 4.5 million now.... how much does he want... How dead set is he on the extension being three years... that is the questions we must ask first....

If he is willing to settle at 10 million for 2 years + a team option for the third year at 5million more.... I'd do it.

thats the best option i believe.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
But what about the "soon to be UFA" Kovalev ? We've never seen this one. I bet he's pretty $ood .
I was looking forward to seeing that Kovalev this season He will get the $$$ in his eyes. Which is one reason why I think this rumor is BS. After seeing the kind of money thrown around on the open market this summer, it seems strange that he wouldn't want to jump in.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:13 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

No brainer, sign him!

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:13 PM
mikeg

I don't have a problem with this. He had the best season any Hab has had in a while, so he should be rightfully compensated. The issue will be... just how much does he deserve?

I say we sign him to a 3/4 year extension (the longer the better) for 5.5mil to 6mil/year. Alex wants to play until he drops, and he seems to like it here. Make him happy, give him the money before you lose him.

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:15 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Kovy wants to stay in Montreal and 3/4 of the posters react as if he just requested a trade. I'm at a loss for words.
Welcome to Montreal.
Where most people THINK they know hockey

Old
07-06-2008, 12:15 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
No brainer, sign him!
Why did you bother typing this ?

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:17 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Anywayz, this is a false rumour.

Old
07-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
We actually did see this one, right after his acquisition. He was pretty friggin good.
13 pts in 23 games if you count the regular season games + playoff games he played with us. He was good in the playoffs, but all-together...not pretty friggin good.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Let not overreact here.... we're paying him 4.5 million now.... how much does he want... How dead set is he on the extension being three years... that is the questions we must ask first....

If he is willing to settle at 10 million for 2 years + a team option for the third year at 5million more.... I'd do it.
Nah, pay him more? I'd say talk to him for the same, if not a bit lower at 4 mill.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:21 PM
CareyPrice x 31

vCash: 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Nah, pay him more? I'd say talk to him for the same, if not a bit lower at 4 mill.
Their is noway you can pay him less.
He just had a ppg season. You offer him less, he asks to leave guarenteed. It's like an insult

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
13 pts in 23 games if you count the regular season games + playoff games he played with us. He was good in the playoffs, but all-together...not pretty friggin good.
Point taken.

It was long enough ago that all I remember was the playoff performance.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:23 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I'd keep him but I wouldn't give him more than what he's getting paid now.

Come on guys, he had a superb season...But in all the years he's been here, he had 1 decent season, 1 horrible season and then 1 great season, his best in many many years. Lets not let this one great year he had cloud our judgement of what he's been his entire time in Montreal. He isn't worth more than $5 mil and Gainey isn't going to keep him if that's what he wants.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:25 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
I just verified something and the fact I just looked up confirms that Kovalev will not get a 3 years deal. Why ? Because he's now 35 years old. If he signs a multi-years contract and retires before the end of it, we will be stuck paying it fully and it's not the type of move I see Gainey doing.
Really? What about the rumours of signing Sundin to a 2 year deal? That is exactly a move Gainey is apparently going to do if Sundin says yes. Same thing.

If Kovy really likes playing here and is willing to continue getting 4.5 million a season then go for it. Depends whats more important to him really. If Hossa signed for less going to Detroit why is it inconviveable Kovy couldnt do the same thing to play with the Habs?

Habs cannot afford larger contracts next year because of all the free agents to be...

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:28 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate View Post
Really? What about the rumours of signing Sundin to a 2 year deal? That is exactly a move Gainey is apparently going to do if Sundin says yes. Same thing.

If Kovy really likes playing here and is willing to continue getting 4.5 million a season then go for it. Depends whats more important to him really. If Hossa signed for less going to Detroit why is it inconviveable Kovy couldnt do the same thing to play with the Habs?

Habs cannot afford larger contracts next year because of all the free agents to be...
From a very subjective point of view, I personally think that a 3 years extension represents more risk than a 2 years contract.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Stradale

Come on guys...you want him at 3M$?? He will never get less money than Finger... Or Ryder... Yeah i know hes getting old but that guy is way too skilled and shaped, he could easily be a good player until 40.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I'd keep him but I wouldn't give him more than what he's getting paid now.

Come on guys, he had a superb season...But in all the years he's been here, he had 1 decent season, 1 horrible season and then 1 great season, his best in many many years. Lets not let this one great year he had cloud our judgement of what he's been his entire time in Montreal. He isn't worth more than $5 mil and Gainey isn't going to keep him if that's what he wants.
Very true...however, you might not think he's worth more than 5M, but if Tanguay makes 5.25M right now, Kovalev is in every right to ask for more than that

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:32 PM
JackieChan

How about an extension for 3 years, worth a flexible amount of money, keeping the same proportion his salary was with last year's cap? He's already 4th on the salary chart, when he clearly was in the top 3 contributors to the success of this team last season. Is it realistic to push him down the salary chart and expect him to produce the same numbers every year at the same time?

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Very true...however, you might not think he's worth more than 5M, but if Tanguay makes 5.25M right now, Kovalev is in every right to ask for more than that
I don't think Kovalev is a better player than Tanguay.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:34 PM
znk

Quote:
I think that explains a lot.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
I don't get why people would talk about consistency while he's entering the last year of his contract.....you know what everybody says about a player playing great 'cause he's entering his last year of his contract.....why would it be indicative of his play for the next 3 years?

Give him a prolongation if he wants, but the max. I would give him would be 2 years + 1 option of the team.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
A focused and motivated Kovalev like we saw this year is a much better player than Tanguay. On the other hand a lazy and moody Kovalev like we saw 2 years ago is twice as worse.

One thing is sure is that aside from this year , Tanguay has been more consistent than Kovalev during his career so far.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:41 PM
BadHabit

I'd sign him. He's obviously motivated to play here after last year and wants to be part of the team.

Put it this way, who would you rather have? A happy Kovalev knowing that he's set financially for the next few years, or a pissy Kovalev who is more concerned about his contract than the game.

It's a no brainer for me.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:42 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Kovalev should sign a similar contract to that of Slava Kozlov last year. Kozlov was coming of 2 years of 70 and 80 points each and he signed for around $4 mil a year.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:48 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I don't get why people would talk about consistency while he's entering the last year of his contract.....you know what everybody says about a player playing great 'cause he's entering his last year of his contract.....why would it be indicative of his play for the next 3 years?

Give him a prolongation if he wants, but the max. I would give him would be 2 years + 1 option of the team.
A Kovalev motivated for a big contract next season would be worth a lot more than a Kovalev we extend and increase our chances of seeing an off-season from him, when we're trying to contend.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote