HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers interested in Teemu Selanne

Old
07-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Katz will have a very good effect on the Oilers ability to get higher end free agents if he can duct tape the rest of the organizations mouth shut. The former owners, the gm and coach have done a wonderful job of making Edmonton a poor choice for free agents.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdHC View Post
Selanne has to accept the offer from Vancouver or Edmonton in order for Burke to have to match it. Unless they throw something his way he CAN'T refuse, Selanne is going nowhere. I don't think Edmonton or Vancouver are interested in giving up high picks for Selanne. Judging by the 2 paycuts he took to stay in Anaheim over the last few years, I doubt he's going to accept anyone's offer and put Burke in a spot.
I think Selanne might actually be pretty old. Who knows though?

If Vancouver identifies Selanne as a guy that could help them next season, look out. The Canucks could offer a deal that makes Anaheim look pretty bad. Selanne like Sundin is a wealthy guy, so he could be willing to leave $4mil a year on the table to stay in Anaheim. You never know. He would have to be pretty content.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
The Ducks could be in a bit of trouble if the Canucks are interested. What's stopping Mike Gillis from giving Selanne a Sundin like offer? IMO Selanne is probably a better player than Sakic at this point and Vancouver has over $16mil in cap space, only 2 roster spots to fill and one natural right winger on the club in Steve Bernier.

If I was Mike Gillis I wouldn't hesitate to offer at least $8mil per on a 1-2 year deal.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Yeah, the Oilers could be enticing too. Pond hockey for the kids etc.

LOL this is what we heard about Corey Perry too...that the canucks would steal him.

If Selanne plays it'll be for the ducks, those of you wishing otherwise will be disappointed come october.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
I think Selanne might actually be pretty old. Who knows though?

If Vancouver identifies Selanne as a guy that could help them next season, look out. The Canucks could offer a deal that makes Anaheim look pretty bad. Selanne like Sundin is a wealthy guy, so he could be willing to leave $4mil a year on the table to stay in Anaheim. You never know. He would have to be pretty content.
Teemu has plenty of money, if money was such a big deal to him he wouldn't have accepted as little as he has from the ducks the last two years.

Anaheim is his 'happy place'(his words) he's not moving his family period.

Old
07-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Teemu has plenty of money, if money was such a big deal to him he wouldn't have accepted as little as he has from the ducks the last two years.

Anaheim is his 'happy place'(his words) he's not moving his family period.
Vancouver's a short car ride from Anaheim. We'll give him the use of a private jet, don't worry.

If the Canucks offer a Mats Sundin like contract you better be ready for the possibility Selanne doesn't return. I know why you're nervous. Whoever ends up with Selanne would have a much better chance at making the playoffs next year. If Burke can't get something done to facilitate Teemu's return the Ducks aren't a playoff team IMO.

If you've ever been to Vancouver you would know. It's unbelievable. Watch your back.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:47 AM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Vancouver's a short car ride from Anaheim. We'll give him the use of a private jet, don't worry.

If the Canucks offer a Mats Sundin like contract you better be ready for the possibility Selanne doesn't return. I know why you're nervous. Whoever ends up with Selanne would have a much better chance at making the playoffs next year. If Burke can't get something done to facilitate Teemu's return the Ducks aren't a playoff team IMO.

If you've ever been to Vancouver you would know. It's unbelievable. Watch your back.
I'm not trying to be naive at all, but I highly doubt Selanne is a Canuck next year. You make it sound like he's started a bidding war going to the team that pays him the most. There's only two teams I see him going to if not the Ducks:

Canadiens (Koivu)
Red Wings (Cup)

I know everything is possible, but all I'm going to say is don't get your hopes up.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:57 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
It ain't gonna cost the Ducks **** to unload him. Worst case scenario they get a 2nd, maybe a 3rd for him and it's alright. Best case scenario, he's packaged for Vermette or Zajac and the Ducks get a 2nd line center.
We'll just have to wait and see.

But it seems to me that last time Anaheim fans said they wouldn't have any trouble finding a taker for Schneider, the Ducks wound up "upgrading" from Andy McDonald to Doug Weight instead.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:00 AM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post

But it seems to me that last time Anaheim fans said they wouldn't have any trouble finding a taker for Schneider, the Ducks wound up "upgrading" from Andy McDonald to Doug Weight instead.
Yes, Burke likes to show respect to newly acquired UFAs. It'd be a jerk off move to sign a guy and trade him after 1/3 of the season.

(Insert Bertuzzi/Penner/Burke's overrated joke here)

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:35 AM
MOENing

Quote:

I didn't realize it was that close. I mean it takes me two hours just to get passed LA.

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 02:19 AM
Mooseduck

Quote:

Selanne is returning to the Ducks.

Mooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 02:31 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
Actually no we dont. All we need is a winger that is a sniper and can play with Hemsky. Also a physical defencemen. Also if we even get a top line winger or not, we still have a good top 6 forward line with good potential.
So you've basically just stated why Selanne doesn't make sense for Edmonton. If he's leaving Anaheim, it's probably to be a 1st line RW. Which wouldn't work with Hemsky.

And before anyone gets any bright ideas, he sucks with Penner.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 02:35 AM
0123456789*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseduck View Post
I believe Selanne will retire and I doubt we will see him back in the NHL.

But who know its just my guess.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 02:51 AM
Finnpin

LOL @ the thread.

Finnpin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:39 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Everyone is interested in Teemu Selanne.
Sweet Avatar!

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:33 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:

Don't get your hopes up.

Old
07-06-2008, 04:35 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseduck View Post
No he's going to Montreal.

Old
07-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Sean Garrity
#51in15 eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
No he's going to Montreal.
florida anyone? I heard he likes the beach and to take his shirt off.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:57 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
florida anyone? I heard he likes the beach and to take his shirt off.
Finland sounds like a good destination then, even the girls there take off their shirts

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:

Burke didn't want to trade Schneider at the time. Rather than simply lose a player he wanted to make a "hockey deal" where he got back a player who made the team just as good now. Big mistake, but it's not like desparation led him to trade Andy Mac over Schneider, it's just a gamble he took.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:45 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Burke didn't want to trade Schneider at the time. Rather than simply lose a player he wanted to make a "hockey deal" where he got back a player who made the team just as good now. Big mistake, but it's not like desparation led him to trade Andy Mac over Schneider, it's just a gamble he took.
I realize that those were the words that came out of Burke's mouth at the time, but did anybody seriously believe he meant it?

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Sean Garrity
#51in15 eh?

Quote:
I realize that those were the words that came out of Burke's mouth at the time, but did anybody seriously believe he meant it?
What did you think he meant? I think Mclovin summed it up pretty good, he took a risk by trying to trade one underachieving player for one that he feeled was underachieving as well and thought could turn it around. Turned out bad, but he would have been named a genius if it worked.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 02:33 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
Schneider. Possibly Marchant as well.
Schneider 5.5 mil marchant 2.2 we are under the cap by 300k at the most so that would be 8 million of free cap space. Teemu will only ask for 2 million max from the ducks leaving us with 6 million so unless you want another star for the team the only person to get rid of.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:25 PM
HalifaxHockey61
#50in15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdHC View Post
Selanne has to accept the offer from Vancouver or Edmonton in order for Burke to have to match it. Unless they throw something his way he CAN'T refuse, Selanne is going nowhere. I don't think Edmonton or Vancouver are interested in giving up high picks for Selanne. Judging by the 2 paycuts he took to stay in Anaheim over the last few years, I doubt he's going to accept anyone's offer and put Burke in a spot.
What......

HalifaxHockey61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:29 PM
vcx*

Why not just start a thread titled...

Kevin Lowe & Edmonton Media: All remaining UFA's are belong to us!!!!!!!!

Would save a lot of time.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks6607 View Post
Schneider 5.5 mil marchant 2.2 we are under the cap by 300k at the most so that would be 8 million of free cap space. Teemu will only ask for 2 million max from the ducks leaving us with 6 million so unless you want another star for the team the only person to get rid of.
The team's operating under a $50 million budget. I assume Burke will be allowed to go over by a little (maybe $2 mil), but the team won't be spending to the cap.

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote