HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Minny, Habs, Rangers interested in P.O'Sullivan

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2008, 03:03 PM
  #1
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,096
vCash: 500
Minny, Habs, Rangers interested in P.O'Sullivan

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16120

A source this morning callled me and told me to get up on the site quickly that Patrick O'Sullivan, who curiously did not file for arbitration and is a coveted RFA, is drawing some big time interest from at least two teams...The Rangers and Canadiens.

Since I posted this up here this morning I have received further confirmation that the Minnesota Wild also have interest in O'Sullivan who was originally traded to the Wild for Demitra. from Eklund

beakermania edit: added link and title change


Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-06-2008 at 03:25 PM.
HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:05 PM
  #2
Goallum
Registered User
 
Goallum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,910
vCash: 500
Oh, that's right, because he curiously didn't file for arbitration...

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:06 PM
  #3
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 63,968
vCash: 500
Well then they never should have traded him

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:08 PM
  #4
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 35,369
vCash: 500
Further ******** being spewed by Eklund. I trust Ekman before Eklund.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:08 PM
  #5
sweatypickle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
lol he's going nowhere...

sweatypickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:11 PM
  #6
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 12,618
vCash: 500
Oh, the irony...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:13 PM
  #7
Jimmy McNulty
Registered User
 
Jimmy McNulty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,642
vCash: 500
The Wild don't have the draft picks to make it happen anyway.


Jimmy McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:23 PM
  #8
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
The Eklund post also states Montreal and New York as possible destinations... I'll edit the original to reflect that.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:35 PM
  #9
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 35,369
vCash: 500
Someone better inform Eklund that Sully is not eligible to file for arbitration. Or better yet, not.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:11 PM
  #10
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,895
vCash: 500
I love when fans defensively over-react to rumors about their players, insisting that they're BS and that the players are "going nowhere." There were quite a few Kings fans saying that about Visnovsky and, well, oops. As if it's really hard to believe that O'Sullivan is drawing interest, though; of course he is. Doubting that is just ignorant. O'Sullivan will probably stay in LA, but you'd better believe that other teams will make it harder on Lombardi.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:17 PM
  #11
Youngblood93
Registered User
 
Youngblood93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I love when fans defensively over-react to rumors about their players, insisting that they're BS and that the players are "going nowhere." There were quite a few Kings fans saying that about Visnovsky and, well, oops. As if it's really hard to believe that O'Sullivan is drawing interest, though; of course he is. Doubting that is just ignorant. O'Sullivan will probably stay in LA, but you'd better believe that other teams will make it harder on Lombardi.


Not to mention that if a team has it's own RFA signed to an offer sheet they can match it with in a week. This is no big deal King fans.

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:20 PM
  #12
wabwat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: pasadena, ca.
Posts: 6,783
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I love when fans defensively over-react to rumors about their players, insisting that they're BS and that the players are "going nowhere." There were quite a few Kings fans saying that about Visnovsky and, well, oops. As if it's really hard to believe that O'Sullivan is drawing interest, though; of course he is. Doubting that is just ignorant. O'Sullivan will probably stay in LA, but you'd better believe that other teams will make it harder on Lombardi.
how are they going to make it harder on him, outside of tendering Patrick an unmatchable (and thereby ill-advised) offer sheet?

and coming from someone who wasn't saying that about Visnovsky, i strongly doubt that O'Sullivan will be going anywhere.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:20 PM
  #13
Martyros
Allow me to retort
 
Martyros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Holly Hood
Country: Armenia
Posts: 5,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan850 View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16120


Since I posted this up here this morning I have received further confirmation that the Minnesota Wild also have interest in O'Sullivan who was originally traded to the Wild for Demitra. from Eklund
so if he was traded to the WILD .......how could they NOT have interest in signing him?

Martyros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:28 PM
  #14
bullocks
Registered User
 
bullocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,266
vCash: 500
Hossa to Edmonton (e4)

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:30 PM
  #15
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,154
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
So that must mean Minny, Habs and the Rangers are the only ones not inquiring about P. O'Sullivan.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:31 PM
  #16
C-Saku Koivu MTL
Registered User
 
C-Saku Koivu MTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,465
vCash: 500
Outside from possibly getting a great offer for O'Sullivan is there any reason the Kings would trade him??

I think it would be quite stupid and moronic to think they would trade him after trading Cammy.

Then again, it's Eklund....

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:44 PM
  #17
Street Hawk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,626
vCash: 500
No Arbitration Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan850 View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16120

A source this morning callled me and told me to get up on the site quickly that Patrick O'Sullivan, who curiously did not file for arbitration and is a coveted RFA, is drawing some big time interest from at least two teams...The Rangers and Canadiens.

Since I posted this up here this morning I have received further confirmation that the Minnesota Wild also have interest in O'Sullivan who was originally traded to the Wild for Demitra. from Eklund

beakermania edit: added link and title change
Patrick O'Sullivan does not have any arbitration rights.

As for these other teams, they may want O'Sullivan, but they also have to consider that LA has tonnes of cap room available, so they aren't hindered by the cap in this case. So, any offer has to be really high for LA to pass on the offersheet. LA just set themselves up for the long term future on their blueline with their selections of Doughty, Teubert, and Voininov this past draft, not to mention Hickey last year and the deal for Johnson. So, LA needs to keep their young forwards. Did that with Brown, Frolov still has I believe 2 years left on his deal, Kopitar is 1 year away from RFA. Really can't afford to let O'Sullivan leave since they moved Cammy this summer.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:01 PM
  #18
Pax Macioretty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 15,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocks View Post
Hossa to Edmonton (e4)
what's your point? it was a fact that Hossa refused a really good, long term contract that Lowe had offered him

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:44 PM
  #19
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
how are they going to make it harder on him, outside of tendering Patrick an unmatchable (and thereby ill-advised) offer sheet?

and coming from someone who wasn't saying that about Visnovsky, i strongly doubt that O'Sullivan will be going anywhere.
I mean that they'll make it harder on Lombardi by driving up the cost to sign O'Sullivan. Even if Patrick doesn't sign an offer sheet, he'll still likely up the amount that he's looking for. If there weren't any competition for his services, Lombardi would be much more able to set his worth; instead, competition largely sets that now (at least that's the direction that things are headed with these offer sheets).

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL View Post
Outside from possibly getting a great offer for O'Sullivan is there any reason the Kings would trade him??
The "interest" being referred to is interest in signing him (to an offer sheet). You're right that the Kings don't have much interest at all in trading him (as I doubt that Burke had with Penner last Summer).


Last edited by Osprey: 07-06-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:47 PM
  #20
24morecupsthanyou*
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 280
vCash: 500
so based on what eklund has stated, we can confirm that the kings are going to lock up Patty O for a 6 or 7 year deal. Good deal for the Kings, opinions?

24morecupsthanyou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:53 PM
  #21
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Don't understand why Montreal would be interested in another small offensive center. Grabovski was dealt because he was a small offensive center who wouldn't make it on the Habs because the Habs already had too many small offensive centers.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:58 PM
  #22
Guillemin
Registered User
 
Guillemin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
what's your point? it was a fact that Hossa refused a really good, long term contract that Lowe had offered him
Yep. A fact that Ek got from every other insider in the league. Third hand at best.

It's amazing how when traffic starts slowing down, Ek's "insiders" start talking about potential deals with the Leafs, Habs, and/or Rangers involved.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 06:07 PM
  #23
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL View Post
Outside from possibly getting a great offer for O'Sullivan is there any reason the Kings would trade him??

I think it would be quite stupid and moronic to think they would trade him after trading Cammy.

Then again, it's Eklund....
saku your under-estimating Eklund's knowledge. He knew every signing on July 1st.....after it was on TSN.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 06:14 PM
  #24
Sparepart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 428
vCash: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Don't understand why Montreal would be interested in another small offensive center. Grabovski was dealt because he was a small offensive center who wouldn't make it on the Habs because the Habs already had too many small offensive centers.

Well, you cant compare Grabovski and O'Sullivan right now. O'Sullivan is an established NHL player who had 53 points with the Kings last season, Grabovski (while he has tons of skill) hasnt not made his mark in the NHL yet. But I agree that Montreal has no reason to be interested in O'Sullivan, Montreal needs a big veteran centre who plays a strong 2-way game, not a young small offensive minded centre.

I suppose if the price is right he would be a good addition to the habs, but it have to be a very low price. But if I'm the habs right now I'm not willing to give up valuable assets to acquire a player they do not need.

Sparepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 06:18 PM
  #25
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24morecupsthanyou View Post
so based on what eklund has stated, we can confirm that the kings are going to lock up Patty O for a 6 or 7 year deal. Good deal for the Kings, opinions?
I don't see that happening for a number of reasons:
1) He's proven himself for only one season so far. Generally, you need a few more seasons in the league before such a long term deal makes sense for both sides. The money that each would be looking for in such a deal would be on completely different pages.
2) His ceiling is pretty high and it makes little sense for him to lock himself into a long-term deal when he might be worth $5M in 3-4 years.
3) I'm not aware of any wife and kid that would, like in Brown's case, encourage him to sacrifice money for long-term security and stability.

I think that we'll see O'Sullivan sign a one or two-year deal. That's what Brown did a few years ago, and he went on to establish himself and prove himself to the organization. I can then see O'Sullivan signing a long-term deal when that deal is up. On the other hand, I can also see him just signing one and two-year deals one after another because of continued disagreement with management over money, ala Cammalleri. Hopefully, we won't have to watch that again and things will work out with O'Sullivan more like they did with Brown and less like they did with Cammalleri.

BTW, Sparepart, he's offensive-minded, yes, but he also really worked on his defensive game this last season and was one of the more important players on the team's PK. He's developing into a good two-way player. I think that that's a lot of the reason why teams have this level of interest in him.


Last edited by Osprey: 07-06-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.