HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kyle Smith in the Post

Old
07-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Kyle Smith
haha, anty:

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Fletch

This guy's a movie critic...

and he's entitled to his opinion. I'm not sure what the purpose of the article was. It was a very poorly written article about very little from a guy who typically likes to use words I can't understand. He usually has decent taste in movies though - not as critical as Lou Lumenick.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:48 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Actually has a very decent bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Smith#Education

Still doesn't excuse this inane article, though.

He should repent.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:50 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
What a dick. I know it's just perpetuating his notion that hockey fans are violent, uneducated ruffians, but I'd still like to punch that little **** in the jaw.

I really don't care that he's so ignorant when it comes to our great sport, I just resent that he seems to derive so much pleasure from irritating people he doesn't even know. Does it make him feel powerful, or important, when he receives hate mail? I'm guessing he's one of those pseudo-intellectuals, with fancy credentials and degrees less attributable to his innate intelligence than to his lack of a social life and pocket thesaurus.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:00 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

Quote:
Kyle Smith

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Heat McManus

I'm not sure how his diatribe is any less offensive to Canadians than Don Imus idiotic comments are to ______.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Niles Crane writing about hockey......Tell me that boitch didn't get his butt handed to him routinely by the time he was 12.
As a big fan of the Frasier series I think your 100% right!

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
and he's entitled to his opinion. I'm not sure what the purpose of the article was. It was a very poorly written article about very little from a guy who typically likes to use words I can't understand. He usually has decent taste in movies though - not as critical as Lou Lumenick.
Didn't he write another hockey bashing article a year or two ago?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:45 PM
NYR957
Hagelin's pumped.

Kyle Smith is a joke. He perpetually gives bad reviews to movies that everyone else gave a good review to. He gives the complete opposite review of what everyone else thinks on purpose just to be different.
As seen here: http://www.metacritic.com/movie/publ...post/smithkyle
He gave Blood Diamond a bad review, somehow gave Children of Men only 2 and a half stars just to give two examples. Grades lower than other critics 68% of the time.

Last edited by NYR957: 07-06-2008 at 06:01 PM.
NYR957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Doyle

No need to worry..

...I just gave the guy a spiderman

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:10 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I posted my response on his blog (kylesmith.com or something like that) in case any of you wish to read. I thought it to be pretty funny (it's the long one by the fellow named Jonathan) if I don't say so myself.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
repent.
Strange word for a heathen to use.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:15 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
The real crime is that he isn't funny. Hockey is a game you get or you don't, but one imagines having a column at a big league newspaper means you can turn a phrase and cause a chuckle.

Crickets.
The article was horribly written. I mean, as I wrote in my comment on his blog, it's been done before. The same article has been done MANY times. But by sports fans, at least, who can actually throw some quips and jabs that are actually at least the smallest bit funny.

This was just horribly written and about as unfunny as possible. Terrible article, terrible writer, terrible paper.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Everything about that piece of nonsense oozes "I need more attention."

Good job everyone for buying right into it.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The article was horribly written. I mean, as I wrote in my comment on his blog, it's been done before. The same article has been done MANY times. But by sports fans, at least, who can actually throw some quips and jabs that are actually at least the smallest bit funny.

This was just horribly written and about as unfunny as possible. Terrible article, terrible writer, terrible paper.
Exactly. Look, I'm Canadian and maybe some of the reference points strike American audiences as funny (for many years, if a comedian was struggling in the USA, he would just use the words "French" and "war" and people would giggle until they peed. Is that still the case?) but it was obvious he wanted to write a funny article about hockey and its ridiculous fans.

However, the material wasn't strong. I miss George Carlin.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Celestial Black

Quote:
Kyle Smith
Haha nice.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:38 PM
shoothepuck

kyle's a dick, I give him 1/2 a star

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 09:39 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
this guy is an absolute moron...by the looks of his picture hes top 10 worlds biggest toolbag. I WANNA HUMILIATE THIS EXCUSE FOR A MALE

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 09:45 PM
MasonRanger

Send a message via AIM to MasonRanger
If he dislikes hockey so much why he is spending time writing an article about it?

And I'd ask how this clown has a job in the first place, but he works for the post where all you need is to be a middle school graduate.

MasonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I posted my response on his blog (kylesmith.com or something like that) in case any of you wish to read. I thought it to be pretty funny (it's the long one by the fellow named Jonathan) if I don't say so myself.
Not bad, but Brandon Roche (whoever he is) has become my new hero

Quote:
# Brendan Roche Says:
July 6th, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Kyle,

Letís start off with the basics. You review movies, correct? (To be honest, I donít really care, but I see it in your little blurb next to this, so Iím going to guess thatís what you do.) So hereís my advice: Stick with what you know, and donít go blabbing about sports.

Letís go through a review of your column. First, ha ha, a lockout joke. Tee hee. Whereíd you find that one, the David Letterman surplus store? Congrats on being able to make jokes on an event that occured two years ago! Groundbreaking comedy.

Then you go for the groundbreaking joke about hockey players not having balls, because they have pucks. Well, really, I was in stitches. Mostly at the irony that you had the nerve to make fun of ďLove GuruĒ for its poor jokes.

Then thereís your very insighhtful slam: hockey canít be good, because itís Canadian, not American! Like baseball (based off of rounders), basketball (invenvted by Dr. Naismith, a Canadian), football (based off of rugby), and NASCAR (of course, since thatís an American sport we wonít make fun of them because of their mullets, right Kevin, er, Kyle?). Keeping that in mind, I hope you go after those other nasty foreign sports as well: soccer (only the worldís #1 sport), rugby, tennis, golf, etc. I mean, come on Kyle, these werenít even invented on the same continent as America. These sports must be terrible!

Of course, thereís the hockeyís boring thing. (By the way, youíve now officially sounded like those people who watch the game only on TV and complain ďI canít see the puck.Ē Of course, one would think a movie critic would have some form of power of observation, but Iíve read your reviews and know thatís not true.) Certainly, a game like hockey is more boring that baseball. I just checked MLB.com (Not really, just copying your format) and saw the stats: there were 216 timeouts requested by the batter during baseballís first at-bat. Hopefully we get to the second at-bat someday. Of course, thatís more exciting than hockey.

Then thereís football, where you get to rest up to 40 seconds in between every play, which generally last 3.7 seconds. In hockey, 40 seconds is called ďa shiftĒ, which is usally followed .37 seconds later with another ďshift.Ē And basketball, please, the last two minutes arenít even exciting in the NBA anymore. Wake me up for March Madness (although Iíll probably fall asleep in the first half. Iím sure thatís not because basketball is boring.)

Oh, but you got me, hockeyís violent, much more violent than baseball (if we ignore the Sox-Rays bench clearing brawl), basketball (Ron Artest anyone?), and football (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBG5ZBGxufY- need I say more?). Meanwhile, the last time the NHL had a bench clearing brawl was certainly pre-lockout, and the last time someone went into the stands, I wasnít even born yet. So maybe thereís something to that Don Cherry (heís a hockey commentator. He talks about hockey, like you talk about hockey, only he has a clue about the game.) opinion that legalized fighting actually helps prevent incidents like the above.

Donít forget with hockey, (I canít believe you forgot to mention this), all of the problems that the league is having. I mean, their winningest coach of the millenium was caught videotaping the other team (oh wait, that was that rugby-like sport), Wayne Gretzky, the record holder in so much, now has asterixes next to his name because of steroid allegations (wait, no, that was that Americaís pastime sport and Balco Bonds), and how could we forget that giant referree cheating scandal embroiling hockey (oops, thatís the NBA). Maybe hockey doesnít have these problems because they come from wholesome Canada?

Lastly, not liking hockey because of the freak accident of one player being hit in the throat with a skate in absurd. Was hockey ever banned because too many people were dying? No, but football was. Thatís why leather helmets became all the rage. (To wit: one player ever has died because of injuries suffered during a hockey game: Bill Matherson.)

Now, naturally, of course, you are probably going to insult my, and hockey fans, intelligence, because all of your other arguments have been blown away. Fine, you want to go? What do you want to compare? IQ? (Their routine is so brainless that itís hard to picture anyone enjoying it except those in the same IQ bracket as actual hockey fans, who would probably be equally entertained by an evening spent at home holding a Bic lighter up to their own bursts of flatulence.- your words. You fancy eating them? Or would you be too afraid to find out you are in a lower IQ bracket than an actual hockey fan.)SATs? Universities attended? Want to take a timed test on sports knowledge? Or just hockey knowledge? Maybe you can get some time on ESPN and the two of us can have a debate moderated and scored by Jim Rome? Of course, my offer to you is this. Iíve got tickets for NHL games. Iíll save one just for you Kyle. You canít comment on hockey without seeing a live game, just like you canít be a movie critic without seeing the movie (although Iím sure youíve tried).

But as to my review of your column: No stars. Of course, Iím sure youíll take this constructive criticism and write editorials and reviews that from the moment I pick them up to the moment I put them down, will cause me to convulse with laughter. And as Groucho Marx once said, I may even read them one day.

(Note- unlike Kyle, I actually am knowledgeable about all sports and even enjoy them, but my favorite is easily hockey, even if it is boring.)

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Kyle who?

Never heard of him. Who is he, a tennis player?

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 07:49 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
Kyle who?

Never heard of him. Who is he, a tennis player?
Ultimate Frisbee queen, I think.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 08:17 AM
segmentation fault
welp

The only thing that pisses me off is that he probably gets paid more than I do to do so little.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote