HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oiler news - July 6

Old
07-06-2008, 08:13 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I'm glad Lowe did it.

Brian Burke is just sad and pathetic. The cap maximum went up 12%, but the rise in salaries is entirely due to two offers made by KLowe? Hmmm, nice thinking there.

I hope Burke ends up as GM of the Leafs, after the league has suspended him for a year and fined the Leafs a quarter mil for the wink-wink nudge-nudge deal they've agreed to for the start of next season.

It's a match made in mediocre hockey heaven.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420ilerBuzz View Post
How's your boycotting campaign going?
I think having a psychotic stalker is sort of cool.

But you should take anger management counseling before your wife ends up hiding in a WIN House..............

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Filmowl

vCash: 500
Allow me to indulge myself by quoting Macbeth:

"It is a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

It's about time KLowe responded. As for his "pathetic hockey market" comment: This is not an indictment of the Anaheim fans, it's an indictment on the lack thereof. Also, KLowe said this in the context that Brian Burke is not held accountable by the Anaheim media/fans, so "this kind of thing goes on".

Filmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Asher

"While I won’t comment on Burke’s intelligence, Lowe’s characterization of Anaheim being a pathetic hockey market is a bit off base. Anaheim has a lot of die-hard fans and hockey is growing here in California. Anaheim has sold out the past 76 games in a row at the Honda Center and had to cut off season ticket holders at 15,000 last year, in a building that seats 17,174.

"Dan Wood of the Orange County Register and Eric Stephens of the Los Angeles Times would be surprised to hear that their articles do not get into the sports section or on the front page of their papers. The Register frequently highlights Ducks articles on the front page of their sports section and even on the front page of the main section. Perhaps Mr. Lowe doesn’t read or bother to do his research before spewing about what he knows nothing about?"
- Karen Francis, hockey writer, MVN in Anaheim.

Makes sense why the Ducks cut off season tickets to 15,000 last year in a building that seats 17,174. I mean, how do you make a profit when half of those season tickets are being away for free?

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
You have to wonder if Bettman is secretly enjoying the whole charade.

He may be adhering to the idea that there is no such thing as bad publicity.
Either that or he has no control over the very league he presides. Both theories have crossed my mind over time.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eready View Post
Fair enough, but an Anahiem fan may interpret things differently. Oiler fans have been a bit too sensitive over things in the past (at least from what I've seen in Hockey Forums). I can understand the Anahiem's fans are upset. If Burke called Edmonton a pathetic Hockey Market (well...it's not, so something equivalent that is not directly aimed at the fans but indiretly so) there would be thread after thread. Let the Anahiem fans have their say...they're entitled to it. Whether he is correct or not doesn't matter...Lowe was wrong to say that (IMO).
Burke called Edmonton the NHL's Siberia.