Notices

OT: Canadian Citizenship

Old
07-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

vCash: 500
OT: Canadian Citizenship

So, with the way the US Economy is going to ****, my fiance and I are looking at moving to Canada at some point in the next few years. I figured this board was the best place to ask questions, and since Calgary is one of the places we are thinking about, I figured I would ask here.

Can you get dual citizenship with Canada and the US?

How do you go about becoming a Canadian citizen (and giving up your US citizenship if you have to)

How long does the process take?

What is it like to live in Canada? i.e. laws, health insurance, work, etc.....

How difficult is moving between Canada and the US?

thanks so much!

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 07:01 PM
scoringmachine

Living in Canada is great just go to the federal government website to find out the best way to become a Canadian Citizen. You will only have to remove your US citizenship if you want a Canadian government pension.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Noori

vCash: 700
My sister has dual citizenship. There is a way to retain your U.S citizenship but, due to legal issues, I'd rather not say. I suggest doing more research on it.

As for the above comment, my sister is eligible for Canadian government pension, and is a dual U.S-Canadian citizen.

But Canada's a great place. No capital punishment, damn good health care, and Alberta has tons of job openings.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
From what I've heard you can have both under certain circumstances. I think you can apply based on the points system. Wait times do suck though and I would anticipate it would be at least one year.

I like it better here than there, to be honest. Go Canada!

What kind of city do you want to live in? The job markets in Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto and Vancouver are all solid if not booming, plus it's pretty decent in Montreal and Ottawa, too. What kind of city do you want to live in? Mini-New York in Toronto? The rainy yet warmer West coast Vancouver? Dry medium sized towns like Calgary or Edmonton? The more exciting and cultural Montreal (especially if you speak French?).

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Ghost of Dale Hunter

Try this site:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

Being a former immigration officer in the US I will tell you this. Your US citizenship is irrelevant to Canada as Canadian is to US, there is a process to get Canadian Citizenship as there is a process to get US Citizenship if you are Candian.
Once you are a USC you are always a USC for our purposes, it doesn't matter what other citizenships you possess for purposes of entry to the US. If you are a USC then you are a USC. The only difference is if you go to a counsulate or embassy and officially renounce your citizenship. Then you cease to be a USC and you would then be treated as an alien visitor to the US.

It all starts with a petition being filed on your behalf to become a permanent resident of the country. If your Wife-to-be is Canadian then she could petition for you in some fashion. Probably some sort of fiance visa. you would then enter and have a certain time to get married. When you get married you become a conditional landed canadian. After a certain time you become a landed resident and then after a certain further time and paperwork you become a citizen.

If you are both US citizens you would likely need to get hired by a Canadian firm, get a work permit and then have the employer petition for your permanent residency. You could then pursue Citizenship after a certain period of time.

Ghost of Dale Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Ghost of Dale Hunter, I was going to ask it seems you answered my question indirectly. If I want to work in the US (NY) for a year only, I suppose the easiest way to go about it is landing a job (Easier said than done) and then applying for the visa? Is that correct? If so, I imagine the visa process is a long one. Would I have any other options?

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote