HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade up now for a great 1st round draft pick?

Old
07-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
Trade up now for a great 1st round draft pick?

Alot of people are talking about how great the draft is next year. We hear that alot I know but it seems this hype could actually be true. I was looking at some of the players that people have been talking about and they sound like they could have ALOT of potential. That being said, should we trade up like now for a draft pick, take a chance and trade a team we know is going to do poorly. a team like Vancouver, the Islanders, Toronto and Columbus.

Their 1st in '09
for our 1st in '09, 3rd in '10 and a sub-par prospect?

or is there any way we could get a 1st rounder without giving up our 1st?

their 1st in 09
for our
2nd 09, 2nd in 10, and 3 3rd's over the next 3 years

We have so many young prospects that can easily fit the role as a bottom 6 foward but no top line prospects to date. (besides Cherpanov which was a steal). I am solely talking about forwards because I don't think we should draft a defensive player next year in our first two picks.

Discuss...

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:38 PM
NYR Viper

with all the depth the rangers have in the system i would love for them to trade some of it for some picks and then when the draft comes up next year to trade 3-4 picks for 1 to try and get a serious impact player......but the odds of it happening are very slim

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
with all the depth the rangers have in the system i would love for them to trade some of it for some picks and then when the draft comes up next year to trade 3-4 picks for 1 to try and get a serious impact player......but the odds of it happening are very slim
Why is that?

Old
07-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Why is that?
because everyone wants that impact player, and when a team has a chance to acquire one, most aren't going to give that up, especially not for a few extra picks.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:47 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Why is that?
Because teams aren't willing to give up first round picks, especially when they don't have much hope of competing for a Cup this season.

You mention the Isles, Blue Jackets, and Columbus. If you give up a first round pick, it better be for something that has a serious impact on your team. How much impact is a lower 1st, and 3rd, and a guy like Callahan going to have on those teams?

It'd be pretty stupid of them if they gave up a lottery pick for a pair of marginal players.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Because teams aren't willing to give up first round picks, especially when they don't have much hope of competing for a Cup this season.

You mention the Isles, Blue Jackets, and Columbus. If you give up a first round pick, it better be for something that has a serious impact on your team. How much impact is a lower 1st, and 3rd, and a guy like Callahan going to have on those teams?

It'd be pretty stupid of them if they gave up a lottery pick for a pair of marginal players.
Well, I know it wouldn't work with the Isles who drafted like 100 players this draft but for team's with little to no prospect depth, it could help them. Maybe not a 1st, a 3rd and cally, but add a few more draft picks and it might make it work their while.

Old
07-07-2008, 01:56 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Well, I know it wouldn't work with the Isles who drafted like 100 players this draft but for team's with little to no prospect depth, it could help them. Maybe not a 1st, a 3rd and cally, but add a few more draft picks and it might make it work their while.
You're still talking about a quantity for quality deal. The Isles, like all bad teams, need talent, not depth.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:00 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Trust me when I say that almost every top 20 pick in next year's draft has first line/first D pairing potential. There is no need to move the pick now

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:01 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Why is that?
its hard to find teams who are willing to give up picks for prospects....or borderline nhlers.....

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

The very idea of this is ludicrous. There is no way you can possibly say that any single team is 100% going to finish with a high draft pick. What if you, say, trade the pick to Vancouver. Vancouver doesn't look very good right now, so it's not completely stupid. But what if Vancouver over-achieves and ends up with the 9th or 10th pick? Was it worth it? Negative.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Yellot00tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The very idea of this is ludicrous. There is no way you can possibly say that any single team is 100% going to finish with a high draft pick. What if you, say, trade the pick to Vancouver. Vancouver doesn't look very good right now, so it's not completely stupid. But what if Vancouver over-achieves and ends up with the 9th or 10th pick? Was it worth it? Negative.

trading picks this early is always gonna be a gamble. who says that we'll even do well this year and we won't have a high pick ourselves. obviously i hope we win the cup and end up with the lowest pick in the first round, but i doubt it. if anything gets done in regards to trading picks, it'll prob happen right around the time of the draft or at least when the draft order is set. especially if this coming year's draft is all that it's cracked up to be-why would a team wanna take a chance on not only their position in the draft, but gamble on another team's position in the draft as well?

Yellot00tr is offline   Reply With Quote