HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

In all this I'd like to point out...

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2004, 11:55 PM
Malakhov

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
In all this I'd like to point out...

... something about Iginla.

He had a really big smile on his face while shaking hands with the tampa bay players even though he lost, you gotta admire the guy. He really became the #1 player in the league for me.

He's as classy as you can be. I f'king admire him so much.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:58 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Yea, Iggy is a great person and a great hockey player. I'm happy for the Flames.

Old
06-08-2004, 01:05 AM
Russian_fanatic

Yes he is really classy makes u sad that he didn't get the cup

Old
06-08-2004, 03:48 AM
Grizzly Adams

i'm not trying to undermine iginla's passion for the sport, but if it were yashin smiling after losing game seven, people would be saying he doesn't care about winning the cup.

i would have rather seen iginla having trouble accepting defeat because i don't think you should ever.

Old
06-08-2004, 04:22 AM
Trottier
Very Random

What would you prefer him to do?

Not shake hands? Keep *****ing at the refs after the game? Throw his stick? That's not the action of a mature, well-grounded competitor who knows both he and every single teammate gave their very best effort.

No need for pain, only pride.

Old
06-08-2004, 04:48 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov

He had a really big smile on his face while shaking hands with the tampa bay players even though he lost, you gotta admire the guy. He really became the #1 player in the league for me.

I completely agree!

Old
06-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov

Im sorry, but the #1 player in the league doesn't disappear for the 2 most important games of his life.....

Old
06-08-2004, 09:16 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
What would you prefer him to do?

Not shake hands? Keep *****ing at the refs after the game? Throw his stick? That's not the action of a mature, well-grounded competitor who knows both he and every single teammate gave their very best effort.

No need for pain, only pride.
The league already has one Chris Chelios and that's enough

Old
06-08-2004, 09:21 AM
rwilson99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsfan09
Im sorry, but the #1 player in the league doesn't disappear for the 2 most important games of his life.....
Game 6: 2 SOG
Game 7: 0 SOG

I think Iginla's frustration got the best of him during the Ferrence penalty. Good to see that in the end he chose to handle the post game well.

Old
06-08-2004, 09:22 AM
Pangolin

I don't think he ever not smile...I don't think it's him being proud of what he did...
He smiled in interviews during the regular season after a lost...
That's just his personality..

Old
06-08-2004, 09:29 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilson99
Game 6: 2 SOG
Game 7: 0 SOG

I think Iginla's frustration got the best of him during the Ferrence penalty. Good to see that in the end he chose to handle the post game well.

You can't say that he didn't try to create. I don't know how many plays he was a part of. SOG doesn't tell the full story. He was a presence.

His post game interview was solid. "We failed, plain and simple" He took a lot of the blame like a good captain and like a good player.

Old
06-08-2004, 09:44 AM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
Quote:

It wasn't a fact of him "disappearing". It was more of TB closing in on him and concentrating hard on eliminating him, which obviously, worked.

Iginla has always been one of my favourite player's. These playoffs have just enhanced that.

Old
06-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Somehow I don't think Iggy and the flames will have to wait long to get back to the Finals, especially if they can add another offensive player, because there D and G are excellent and Iginla is a class act and great hockey player.

Old
06-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Legolas

During his post game interview, Iginla looked quite upset and mad, which is appropriate in my opinion. As for his performance in the last two games, Tampa locked in on him and gave him no room to skate, and the difference is that Tampa has the personnel to do that effectively whereas the Flames D were stumbling all over themselves trying to stop Lecavalier and company. Iginla was usually playing 1 on 4...in the final minutes of Game 7 he deked out two players and there were still two players left stopping him from passing or shooting...he had no room all game.

I'm a huge Iginla fan. He had practically no help all playoffs and carried his team to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final. Richards, St. Louis and Lecavalier were huge, but Iginla has nobody even remotely as talented as any of those guys on his team. A great series by both teams, but you can't take anything away from Iginla...he's a beast...plain and simple.

Old
06-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
I don't agree, I more then anybody was so stupid saying Vinny this, vinny disappering here and there in the finals, and I for one was to wrapped up in wanting him to win so bad that I ignored his hard work and passion, I am apologizing for all the stupid things I said. However its the same thing with Iggy, Iggy carried the flames this far and his effort in every game of the finals was spectacular. Game 7 Tbay looked inpenatrable and until the last 10 mins they were. Iggy made move after move, play after play, desire, hart, determination, the flames just came up one game short. Iggy is a Gamer and he proved that here and at the Olympics, he didn't dissapear and I see where your coming from as I dogged vinny because I wanted to see him succeed so badly. Iggy was great but Tbays D stepped up big time. Iggy had some of the most dominating play by a player since the Stanley cup wins by Sakic and Lemieux, only difference is there is no cup for Iggy, but this won't be his last chance, and I don't think it will take long either.

Old
06-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelobster
i'm not trying to undermine iginla's passion for the sport, but if it were yashin smiling after losing game seven, people would be saying he doesn't care about winning the cup.

i would have rather seen iginla having trouble accepting defeat because i don't think you should ever.
Thats because Yashin doesn`t play with the passion Iginla does. And I`m sure Iginla wasn`t smiling in the dressing room after the game.

Old
06-08-2004, 10:16 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios
Thats because Yashin doesn`t play with the passion Iginla does. And I`m sure Iginla wasn`t smiling in the dressing room after the game.
You know it was killing him.

He put on a brave face, and for that alone he deserves alot of respect.

Closed Thread