HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Demitra

Old
07-07-2008, 09:47 AM
echlfreak

vCash: 500
Demitra

Don't know if it is even worth typing this but, Eklund is reporting that Demitra could sign today likely with the Canucks, but other possible destinations are Nashville among others. Again it would be a nice to fit to our top 6 and our struggling PP, it would fit in our salary cap, but it still seems like Hornqvist is the real deal...so likely a pass.

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 10:02 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Someone else said it earlier (on the other boards maybe?): I thank Eck for all his "pro-Nashville" comments in the media here and all, but I wish he'd leave us alone for all the rumors. I think we've been in the running for every FA this summer.

quartermaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 10:15 AM
echlfreak

Players that Eklund had destined for Nashville:

Demitra-nice fit to top 6, but probably a pass
Cheechoo-would have been a perfect trade for Zidlicky
Marleau- Never made sense financially
Nagy-Still possible, but a soft player and a def liability
Williams- would be a great fit on the wing and can plat the point on the PP like in Chicago
Huesilius- signed with Columbus, don't think DP even put in a bid, that we heard of anyway
Jagr- Wow that was not even close, off to Russia

Can't wait to see who he has destined next. I will admit Hockeybuzz at least gives you something to read and stay connected, but if you are a Pred fan it bites this summer. I understand that the new ownership has helped keep the team in Nashville and helped to keep our young guys here. But, wouldn't it be nice if they showed there desire to WIN by picking up a stud.

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Can't wait to see who he has destined next. I will admit Hockeybuzz at least gives you something to read and stay connected, but if you are a Pred fan it bites this summer. I understand that the new ownership has helped keep the team in Nashville and helped to keep our young guys here. But, wouldn't it be nice if they showed there desire to WIN by picking up a stud.
Please say that you realize that the game of hockey is won on the ice over the long course of the season and not in June when we are looking at names on a computer screen or sheets of paper???

This organization is heading in the right direction, they have themselves positioned to be competing for a playoff berth this season (certainly cannot say that we are at the bottom of the conference...), and are working hard to rebuild the depth at all positions that we lost last summer during the ownership fiasco that caused us to use Bonk, among others, in a scoring line role when they were brought in to be checkers.

We still have a few moves to be made before the season begins, but you must be patient, as Poile is, and wait for the right moves to be made. We are not going to break our budget because that would be stupid for both the short and long term. We are not going to sign a veteran to a long-term deal at a position that will block a prospect we expect to be ready either, as that too would be a bad decision.

We will wait for the right pieces to come along to fill our present needs and hopefully also further our long-term goals. Bringing in Demitra would make sense if it was a one-year deal. Bringing in Jason Williams would actually make sense if it was a two-year deal. We need to still sign an enforcer to play limited minutes in a real specialized role (Aaron Downey/Andre Roy type) and still need to get both Klein and Koistinen under contract and/or make a move to resolve that situation.

Any lineup you throw out there right now is going to have some holes in it for sure...heck, I can guarantee that there will be question marks on all 30 teams rosters even come opening night, but it is how you fill those holes that makes all the difference in the world and if you can't find one big piece to fit into that puzzle, then you will see a team sign a couple smaller pieces to create options and hope that a combination of smaller moves will work out.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:18 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

No thanks on The Glass Demitra.

If we sign a free agent that's going to be an NHL regular, it should be Williams; otherwise, just make a few depth moves and go with PHAP (Patric Hörnqvist-Antti Pihlström).

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:29 PM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
No thanks on The Glass Demitra.

If we sign a free agent that's going to be an NHL regular, it should be Williams; otherwise, just make a few depth moves and go with PHAP (Patric Hörnqvist-Antti Pihlström).
Is "PHAP" also the sound of someone's face hitting the glass?

quartermaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:40 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29 View Post
Is "PHAP" also the sound of someone's face hitting the glass?
That would be PHAP Wooga Wooga Wooga which would include the sound of the plexiglass shaking after contact.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Demitra makes sense. We have had interest in the past, and he has the skillset to fit well on Nashville. His problems are injuries....but if he is cheap enough, he is worth the risk. I could see a 2 year deal for Williams, Demitra, or Nagy.

07-07-2008, 08:07 PM
DManPreds11

I personally thought Bertuzzi under 2mil would have been a good pick up, for just one year for us. Looks like Calgary that added a key player in Cammerilli chose to give Bertuzzi a shot that may pay off big with a one year deal. Big physical foward that gives decent screens (hmmm) sounds like something we need. I wonder if Poile is on vacation down in Florida with Vokie.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 10:45 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DManPreds11 View Post
I personally thought Bertuzzi under 2mil would have been a good pick up, for just one year for us. Looks like Calgary that added a key player in Cammerilli chose to give Bertuzzi a shot that may pay off big with a one year deal. Big physical foward that gives decent screens (hmmm) sounds like something we need. I wonder if Poile is on vacation down in Florida with Vokie.
I think he's been in Sweden because there's STILL talk we might sign Linus Videll.

Old
07-08-2008, 02:17 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

another one bites the dust.

to vancouver, 3 years, 4 million per

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Considering the rumors of him in Vancouver before free agency started and the reported quotes of him saying he would be a Canuck - I'm not that surprised. The longer he was available, the more I felt we had a stick in the fire....

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 02:47 PM
predhead1

Personally, I'm glad we didn't sign him if it was going to take $4.0m/year for 3 years. Seems like an overpayment for a fragile, aging player.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:16 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Say what you want about how good Demitra is, but who in their right mind does NOT believe he would be an upgrade over Fiddler or Smithson???

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:34 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda of the chains View Post
Say what you want about how good Demitra is, but who in their right mind does NOT believe he would be an upgrade over Fiddler or Smithson???
Who in their right mind thinks Pavol Demitra would be on our 4th line???

Old
07-08-2008, 05:20 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Well, have Fiddler and Smithson been confined to the 4th line now? I don't think so.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 06:55 PM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Well, have Fiddler and Smithson been confined to the 4th line now? I don't think so.
Na, not with the man crush Trotz has on them two.

Old
07-08-2008, 07:40 PM
predhead1

Quote:
If that's the criterion we're working under, I'm sure we would have no problem finding an upgrade for far less than $12.0mm.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:35 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
awesome for Vancouver but they still need more firepower I think

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 05:55 PM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
awesome for Vancouver but they still need more firepower I think
They didn't need much more with Luongo between the pipes. The thing with Demitra is can he stay healthy enough to help this team.

Old
07-13-2008, 04:20 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Considering the rumors of him in Vancouver before free agency started and the reported quotes of him saying he would be a Canuck - I'm not that surprised. The longer he was available, the more I felt we had a stick in the fire....
The reports over here in european say he was on vacation for the passed month. The wild have already asked the NHL to look into what happened in late April/early May where Demitra was qouted as saying he was going to Vancouver

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote