HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

LeNeveu signs with Anaheim

Old
07-07-2008, 12:57 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
LeNeveu signs with Anaheim

Looks like Wiikman is back to being our number 1 goalie prospect.

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...u-we-hard.html

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:21 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
Looks like Wiikman is back to being our number 1 goalie prospect.

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...u-we-hard.html
so all we have to show for montoya is freddy?

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:01 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
so all we have to show for montoya is freddy?
It appears so...still looks like NYR is the winner on that deal, gotta wait and see what Montoya does in the NHL.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:11 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
It appears so...still looks like NYR is the winner on that deal, gotta wait and see what Montoya does in the NHL.
What an awful deal. I bet Maloney would have swung their 2nd rounder for Montoya this draft. Jared Staal! How I still pine for thee!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:28 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
What an awful deal. I bet Maloney would have swung their 2nd rounder for Montoya this draft. Jared Staal! How I still pine for thee!
Not really that big of a deal. Montoya wouldn't of shined in our organization with Lundqvist here, and while we could of/should of gotten back a tad more than an AHL enforcer and a borderline 3rd line player, the trade still mattered none and barely affects us if it all even if Montoya plays in the NHL on a consistent basis.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:48 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
Not really that big of a deal. Montoya wouldn't of shined in our organization with Lundqvist here, and while we could of/should of gotten back a tad more than an AHL enforcer and a borderline 3rd line player, the trade still mattered none and barely affects us if it all even if Montoya plays in the NHL on a consistent basis.
I'm not pining for Montoya, I'm pining for Jared Staal! Maloney wanted the kid bad enough. I'm sure we could have packaged Montoya for that 2nd rounder. Even straight up for it. Does anyone even know what the conditionals of that trade were? Something like if Montoya resigns and plays X games, do we get anything? Probably doesn't matter anyways. I'm sure Gretzky will ride Bryzgalov all the way. And the way our lineup is overcrowded, I really don't care about Sjostrom anymore. I'd rather keep Dubinksy, Callahan, Dawes, Prucha, Betts. I'm sure the UFAs Rissmiller and Voros will play. They aren't getting paid $1M a piece for nothing. I think Sjostrom's only chance of playing is if Fritsche gets a nice arbitration contract and the Rangers walk or trade him.

Old
07-07-2008, 06:51 AM
Kostik

Wasn't there some draft pick compensation if LeNeveu will not sign with Rangers?
Can't remember now...

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
Wasn't there some draft pick compensation if LeNeveu will not sign with Rangers?
Can't remember now...
Hope so.........but regardless Sjostrom is a good player.........and do they not have Gratton in the minors still?............Montoya will eventually be a backup I think but it likely ends there

Rangers have good minor league goalies....Wikman to start then Zaba ideally

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 07:46 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
Can't remember now...
I believe it was a 5th in next year's draft - escalating to a 3rd if Montoya plays 15 games for them.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 07:55 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I just hope this doesn't become the new Jessiman point that everyone brings up every week.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Celestial Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I'm not pining for Montoya, I'm pining for Jared Staal! Maloney wanted the kid bad enough. I'm sure we could have packaged Montoya for that 2nd rounder. Even straight up for it. Does anyone even know what the conditionals of that trade were? Something like if Montoya resigns and plays X games, do we get anything? Probably doesn't matter anyways. I'm sure Gretzky will ride Bryzgalov all the way. And the way our lineup is overcrowded, I really don't care about Sjostrom anymore. I'd rather keep Dubinksy, Callahan, Dawes, Prucha, Betts. I'm sure the UFAs Rissmiller and Voros will play. They aren't getting paid $1M a piece for nothing. I think Sjostrom's only chance of playing is if Fritsche gets a nice arbitration contract and the Rangers walk or trade him.
No offense but a name does not guarantee long success in the NHL. See example, Marcel Hossa and other if I really tried to think about it. I do agree however that a pick is what I would have liked to see us get.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 10:31 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

The reason this whole thing is so pathetic isn't because all we got for Montoya at this point was Sjostrom. At this point, Montoya wasn't worth very much.

The problem stems from the fact that the Rangers made the wrong pick by selecting Montoya. Granted, the 2004 Draft was a pretty weak draft (Ovechkin and Malkin aside), but the Rangers were so bad at drafting first rounders until recently.

Think of our fortunes if they'd selected a Ladislav Smid or a Drew Stafford, even a Rusty Olesz. Alex Radulov, anyone?

Begin Homer Simpson-esque drooling.

This was a pathetic waste of a draft pick that, coupled with the selection of Hugh Jessiman, significantly hampered the progress and development of the Rangers. I'm not even talking about the Brendl and Lundmark era of horrendous drafting because that wasn't under Slats' watch.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 10:50 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The reason this whole thing is so pathetic isn't because all we got for Montoya at this point was Sjostrom. At this point, Montoya wasn't worth very much.

The problem stems from the fact that the Rangers made the wrong pick by selecting Montoya. Granted, the 2004 Draft was a pretty weak draft (Ovechkin and Malkin aside), but the Rangers were so bad at drafting first rounders until recently.

Think of our fortunes if they'd selected a Ladislav Smid or a Drew Stafford, even a Rusty Olesz. Alex Radulov, anyone?

Begin Homer Simpson-esque drooling.

This was a pathetic waste of a draft pick that, coupled with the selection of Hugh Jessiman, significantly hampered the progress and development of the Rangers. I'm not even talking about the Brendl and Lundmark era of horrendous drafting because that wasn't under Slats' watch.
Not to mention, they could have unloaded him earlier, when Hank hit his stride - for a lot more than just Sjostrom.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Mrpuck

I don't really disagree with the pick at the time, because frankly we were hurting between the pipes. Nobody expected Hank to come out and be as dominating as he has become. The mistake was holding onto Al too long. We played it safe in analyzing if Hank would secure the starting position too long.

Plus goalies lately have not been hard to come by for most teams. Just look at Gretzky getting Bryz for nothing.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Cherepanisimov

honestly, i'd rather have the 5th round pick

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Personally, I feel that anytime you get a NHL player for a prospect it's a win.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Personally, I feel that anytime you get a NHL player for a prospect it's a win.
Yeah, Montoya hasn't proved to be any great loss. Granted, he could become an excellent NHL netminder, but right now he's just a good AHLer. I'll take Sjo over a good AHLer any day.

Old
07-07-2008, 04:21 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rac3 View Post
No offense but a name does not guarantee long success in the NHL. See example, Marcel Hossa and other if I really tried to think about it. I do agree however that a pick is what I would have liked to see us get.
Yeah, it didn't really matter who we took but I thought Staal would have been an excellent pick at that position had we acquired it from Phoneix for Montoya or some package instead, all we have in Sjostrom. I think we all agree it was a waste. Think if we had traded down or swapped with some other team for the 1st in the year after. Not saying those deals were available but I find it damn convenient to think they were!

Old
07-07-2008, 05:54 PM
greasch#4

HF still had Montoya as our #1 prospect and most of us still had him in our top 5 when he as dealt. It seems like Maloney was his biggest fan out of all the GMs and we could still only get what we got for him. Personally I didn't see the problem with holding on to him and letting him and his value improve. It's spilled milk at this point... time to move on.

greasch#4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasch#4 View Post
HF still had Montoya as our #1 prospect and most of us still had him in our top 5 when he as dealt. It seems like Maloney was his biggest fan out of all the GMs and we could still only get what we got for him. Personally I didn't see the problem with holding on to him and letting him and his value improve. It's spilled milk at this point... time to move on.
LeNeveu was drafted by Phoenix in the second round (46th overall) of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft. He was acquired by the New York Rangers with Fredrik Sjostrom, Josh Gratton and a conditional pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Al Montoya and Marcel Hossa on Feb. 26, 2008.

Their was the deal so the Coniditional pick was likely depending on the Rangers signing him

Thing is their Goaltending is set well for the next Decade with Lundqvist and yea sure Montoya likely could have been a back up even last yr but what was the point to block his development...........SO Valliquette is the perfect guy to be there and Wikman will be ready next yr I imagine..............Plus they have Zaba just signed and LaFleur had a terrible yr but hopefully he bounces back

REGARDLESS who really cares with Henrik around.................AND Sjostrom is a good player.............waaaaay better than Hossa who I hear bolted for Euro

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Marcel went to Russia, and LeNeveu didnt re-sign.

Sjostrom, Conditional(5th or 3rd i believe) for Montoya.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 06:20 PM
greasch#4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
LeNeveu was drafted by Phoenix in the second round (46th overall) of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft. He was acquired by the New York Rangers with Fredrik Sjostrom, Josh Gratton and a conditional pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Al Montoya and Marcel Hossa on Feb. 26, 2008.

Their was the deal so the Coniditional pick was likely depending on the Rangers signing him

Thing is their Goaltending is set well for the next Decade with Lundqvist and yea sure Montoya likely could have been a back up even last yr but what was the point to block his development...........SO Valliquette is the perfect guy to be there and Wikman will be ready next yr I imagine..............Plus they have Zaba just signed and LaFleur had a terrible yr but hopefully he bounces back

REGARDLESS who really cares with Henrik around.................AND Sjostrom is a good player.............waaaaay better than Hossa who I hear bolted for Euro
My point was that his value was at an all time low. Even though he was universally regarded as one of our very top prospects his reputation needed some rehabilitation. We received a a 3rd liner (something we have in abundance) and an AHL scrapper (again something we are not lacking). Goaltending returns to one of our weakest positions in terms of depth. We are less prepared to deal with a Henke injury as well...

I like having chips, we threw a big chip down and we now don't have much to show for it...

greasch#4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 06:41 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
I will never understand why everyone gave up on Montoya so easily. One year he is a top prospect (top 10 I think?) and the next he is shipped out of town and labelled a worthless chump. Not every goalie is ready at 22 and not every prospect progresses to the NHL without a setback here or there. Very odd to give up on him so soon and I think we will regret it down the line.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 06:44 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
Marcel went to Russia, and LeNeveu didnt re-sign.

Sjostrom, Conditional(5th or 3rd i believe) for Montoya.
It's an "Eh" deal for me right now.