HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

getting into the OHL?

Old
07-08-2008, 12:12 AM
db88

vCash: 500
getting into the OHL?

Whats the age ruling in the OHL, also i thought you could only play in the ohl if you were canadian born...?

db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:20 AM
deanosaur

16-20
and no, Kane played in the OHL and he's not Canadian born.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:25 AM
db88

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
16-20
and no, Kane played in the OHL and he's not Canadian born.
cool, thanks

db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Bluelineswinships

is it invitation only or is there a way to tryout

Bluelineswinships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelineswinships View Post
is it invitation only or is there a way to tryout

Theres a draft, in which players get selected by teams after being scouted by the various OHL teams. If you are an American living in Michigan or Pennsylvania you are in the OHL zone and may be drafted by a team in the OHL. This is because they have franchises in these 2 states. Any state not holding a major junior team means that anyone can be selected by any league in the CHL. If a player say in Ontario did not get selected in the OHL draft he becomes a free agent and can be a "walk-on" basically you somehow get a try-out with a team to see if you are good enough. An example of this was Claude Giroux who was passed up in the OHL draft then went to the QMJHL and made a team there as a walk-on.

With that being said, there are no real "try-outs" there are prospect camps and then training camps in which teams may choose to invite those not selected but this is not an easy way to make a team.

91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 02:23 AM
deanosaur

One more thing.
I believe if your atleast 18, free agent not playing for any CHL team or protected you can go to any team in the CHL. Much like Giroux, I'm not 100% sure on that.

Old
07-08-2008, 02:53 AM
WinCityHypeMachine

Yeah, Americans are fully allowed into the CHL. Even Europeans. For example, Nikita Filatov was drafted 1st Overall in the Import Draft.

There is a Bantam Draft for it. Usually at the beginning of May.

Here is the Plymouth Whalers' Draft
http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/ohldraftlist.html

As you can see, there are Americans (Detroit, Chicago) drafted in there.

EDIT: I just found the complete OHL Draft list- which I couldn't find before.
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/ps2008/

As you browse through the Rounds, you'll see players getting drafted from American teams.

Last edited by WinCityHypeMachine: 07-08-2008 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Add link to OHL Draft list
WinCityHypeMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 03:22 AM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCityHypeMachine View Post
Yeah, Americans are fully allowed into the CHL. Even Europeans. For example, Nikita Filatov was drafted 1st Overall in the Import Draft.

There is a Bantam Draft for it. Usually at the beginning of May.

Here is the Plymouth Whalers' Draft
http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/ohldraftlist.html

As you can see, there are Americans (Detroit, Chicago) drafted in there.

EDIT: I just found the complete OHL Draft list- which I couldn't find before.
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/ps2008/

As you browse through the Rounds, you'll see players getting drafted from American teams.
WHL does the Bantam Draft (15), OHL and QMJHL have their drafts for first year Midgets (16)

Old
07-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Nbr-17

Just one thing to keep in mind, as soon as you step on the ice with an OHL team (even training camp or tryout) you can no longer get a scholarship.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesKnowsBest View Post
Theres a draft, in which players get selected by teams after being scouted by the various OHL teams. If you are an American living in Michigan or Pennsylvania you are in the OHL zone and may be drafted by a team in the OHL. This is because they have franchises in these 2 states. Any state not holding a major junior team means that anyone can be selected by any league in the CHL. If a player say in Ontario did not get selected in the OHL draft he becomes a free agent and can be a "walk-on" basically you somehow get a try-out with a team to see if you are good enough. An example of this was Claude Giroux who was passed up in the OHL draft then went to the QMJHL and made a team there as a walk-on.

With that being said, there are no real "try-outs" there are prospect camps and then training camps in which teams may choose to invite those not selected but this is not an easy way to make a team.
oh really, i didnt know that. i know eric tangradi and hes from pa. what do you mean there are ohl franchises in pa and michigan? he was drafted by belleville

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
oh really, i didnt know that. i know eric tangradi and hes from pa. what do you mean there are ohl franchises in pa and michigan? he was drafted by belleville
Erie (PA), Saginaw(MI), and Plymouth(MI). I think he means that as long as there is an OHL team located in that state, any OHL team can draft from there.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Erie (PA), Saginaw(MI), and Plymouth(MI). I think he means that as long as there is an OHL team located in that state, any OHL team can draft from there.
oh, ok, yea that makes sense. my friend is originally from phili but played around scranton for his prep school team

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Yeah, only OHL teams can draft from Michigan and Pennsylvannia. The only way a player from these states can play in the WHL or QMJHL is if they sign as a free agent with one of the clubs after getting a try-out as a walk-on. This is why the OHL wants to put a team in New York State, so they could "own" that state as well.

Old
07-08-2008, 04:41 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
Just one thing to keep in mind, as soon as you step on the ice with an OHL team (even training camp or tryout) you can no longer get a scholarship.
I thought you were allowed to attend a training camp or tryout but for no more than 48 hours? I assume you have to pay all of your expenses as well; even college players at pro camps have to do that if they want to be able to play in the NCAA again that season.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Homerocks*

The OHL does scout US Jr. programs for their draft. They keep an eye on any 14/15 year olds that are having big seasons. Two of my buddies had big seasons in the MJHL, a solid Jr. B league in the Jersey/PA/NY area, when they were 15 years old and both were drafted in the O. One went to the OHL, and the other decided to play for the US under-17 team.

Neither of them was actively soliciting any programs in the OHL either.

Homerocks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesKnowsBest View Post
Any state not holding a major junior team means that anyone can be selected by any league in the CHL.
Wrong. The USA is divided into geographical regions where each of the WHL, OHL and LHJMQ can draft from.

LHJMQ: New England only (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut)

WHL: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming

OHL: Michigan, Pennsylvania, and everywhere else not listed above.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:20 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
you can stay at a major junior camp for 48 hours but have to pay ur own way. You can take part in practices and scrimmages but cant play in an exhibition game.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
Wrong. The USA is divided into geographical regions where each of the WHL, OHL and LHJMQ can draft from.

LHJMQ: New England only (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut)

WHL: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming

OHL: Michigan, Pennsylvania, and everywhere else not listed above.
I stand corrected then. I'm not sure what lead me to believe otherwise lol

Old
07-09-2008, 01:20 AM
Homerocks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
you can stay at a major junior camp for 48 hours but have to pay ur own way. You can take part in practices and scrimmages but cant play in an exhibition game.
But you can still play at a Canadian university.

Homerocks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 07:30 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
Thanks, I stand corrected then.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 08:02 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerocks View Post
But you can still play at a Canadian university.
Canadian university you are all set...The 48 hour rule only applies to NCAA schools.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote