HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lowe and Burke called to the principal's office for a paddlin'

Old
07-07-2008, 08:56 PM
TorontoWingsFan

vCash: 500
KLowe is the MAN.

Everything he said was on the money and its funny how the league stepped in only after he finally told Burkie to stick it. While Burke was railing on Lowe for a year now the league did nothing.

You tell em KLowe!

TorontoWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 09:18 PM
nye

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Is this simply a case where Bettman is in a twist because one of his pet projects of expanding to the South is being called into the spotlight through the "pathetic market" comment?
Why do people continue to repeat this as gospel?

nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 09:25 PM
nye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
You have to think that Bettman was none too pleased to see one of his first forays into the Southern US market get publicly trashed like that by an NHL GM.
et tu, Digger!?

Think of the bunny!

Old
07-07-2008, 09:25 PM
AVE MAN

My favorite comment by Lowe, and i never heard him say it during the Stauffer interview, but TSN ran a clip of it today "If he was a real Man he would say in front of my Face"
I think that's when Burke called Bettman...I know I would if a man nicknamed Vicious made a comment like that directed at me.

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 09:40 PM
nye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Where was Bettman when Burke called Edmonton the NHL's Siberia?
When did Burke do that?

I've heard it before, obviously, but when did Burke say it?

Old
07-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nye View Post
et tu, Digger!?

Think of the bunny!
Nobody said it was 'gospel' as you put it, but I fail to see why the theory should be so flippantly tossed aside.

What's your thoughts on the matter?

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 09:52 PM
nye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
I can understand if Bettman was annoyed by a snarky remark about another teams market. I cannot understand why Bettman seems okay with repeated remarks that imply a collusionary aspect in the NHL's bargaining methodology.
Bingo.

Old
07-07-2008, 10:07 PM
nye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Nobody said it was 'gospel' as you put it, but I fail to see why the theory should be so flippantly tossed aside.

What's your thoughts on the matter?
Anaheim and Florida were voted in in Dec '92.

Prior to that we had TBay, San Jose, and Ottawa start up in '90 and '91.

Gary Bettman became commish in Feb '93. I fail to see how Anaheim can be considered his initiative.

After '93? Good question. Nashville is a truely troubled market. I'm not sure how a team ended up there, but will point out that a group of local businessmen came close to accomplishing what our own EIG did. They did finish the job with some outside assistance (amounting to Les Alexander being a silent partner of the EIG). Other than that, Atlanta can't really be seen as a Bettman idea. More like a very important American TV market and one the NHL had tried before.

Then two more expansion teams, in Ohio and Minnesota. These could hardly be considered Southern US markets and they were again markets tried before by the NHL (roughly).

I would say he has put expansion teams in better hockey markets more reliably after he came along than before. However, that wouldn't be entirely accurate either. The BoG decides where these things go. It's based more on how much cash for the existing owners and the facilities, etc exist or will be created for the prospective team.

Now of course you are going to Winnipeg and Quebec me. Perhaps I can preempt that by pointing out that if either Canadian city to lose a team had a prospective owner willing to pay the cash and have the backing to put up an NHL facility, perhaps there would be a franchise in one of those two places instead of one in Columbus, Denver, or Phoenix. Having people with the cash and the facilities that were at least acceptable worked for Edmonton.

Old
07-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Oilforblood

Pisses me off that frikken Frodo waited until KLowe took his turn before getting involved. Idiot.

Bravo KLowe for saying what needed to be said about Blowhard Burke (minus the attack on the Anaheim hockey market of course)...

Oilforblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Eskie Jetski

The NHL went to the well once too often with Sun Belt expansion and they will be paying for it for years. Lowe touched a raw nerve and Butt-man couldn't hack it. The only reason Anaheim got a team to begin with was to ride the coattails of a kid's movie that nobody cares about anymore.

I think Burkie needs a nap, just like this nutcase here.

Eskie Jetski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
I don't recall Burke calling Siberia, but I could be mistaken. Any chance you have a link? Because that would lower my respect for Burke.

AFAIK, it was Lowe himself who first called Edmonton Siberia, during the Nylander fiasco.

As the to why now question, I really think it has to do with the hockey market comment. Bettman has to govern like a businessman, he can't have a team official insulting a customer base. I'm not aware of Burke ever putting down the people of Edmonton (just the team and Lowe). Although that does bring into question the Melrose thing. Although maybe that's because Melrose said it jokingly while Lowe was being serious.
So why did Burke get away with calling the Oilers organization "dirty ********"?

07-08-2008, 12:41 AM
nye

Quote:
So why did Burke get away with calling the Oilers organization "dirty ********"?
He didn't.

That, amoung other things probably led to Lowe going off on him. I don't think he got away with anything. Most sports media, including in Toronto, are commenting on the finally! after too much, Lowe *****-slapped the goof to the curb.

Do you think Burke stands a better or worse chance of getting the cherry on top job as manager of the Leafs after the last week?

His own big mouth has screwed himself in the left ear. That's the comedy of the situation. If it all plays out, you could say divine comedy.

Old
07-08-2008, 12:53 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Possible reasons:
a) he knocked the organization, which is probably not as big a deal to Bettman as knocking the actual paying customers of Edmonton
b) he didn't say that officially, to a media outlet, in any kind of press statement. It was an off-the-cuff remark to season ticket holders, not intended to be spread to the public. Although it did spread, because the Ducks blogger quoted it on the website. BTW, that statement was taken off the Ducks blog. So it looks like the blogger (and maybe even Burke) was chastised for it.
c) maybe it's just me, but is dirty ******* even that bad of a putdown? Like if some random person calls me a dirty *******, I don't really care. If someone calls me a pathetic _____, I'm a lot angrier. Is this some kind of Canadian-American cultural difference? Maybe Bettman didn't care because "dirty *******" isn't viewed as a severe insult.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Burke's jabs. At least any more than Lowe's personal jabs, because I actually love the feud and both of their comments.

But I can certainly see how Bettman the businessman would be more concerned with Lowe's "pathetic hockey market" comment. Unless Burke actually did call Edmonton Siberia (which you've yet to prove).

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:03 AM
Heist

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Possible reasons:
a) he knocked the organization, which is probably not as big a deal to Bettman as knocking the actual paying customers of Edmonton
b) he didn't say that officially, to a media outlet, in any kind of press statement. It was an off-the-cuff remark to season ticket holders, not intended to be spread to the public. Although it did spread, because the Ducks blogger quoted it on the website. BTW, that statement was taken off the Ducks blog. So it looks like the blogger (and maybe even Burke) was chastised for it.
c) maybe it's just me, but is dirty ******* even that bad of a putdown? Like if some random person calls me a dirty *******, I don't really care. If someone calls me a pathetic _____, I'm a lot angrier. Is this some kind of Canadian-American cultural difference? Maybe Bettman didn't care because "dirty *******" isn't viewed as a severe insult.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Burke's jabs. At least any more than Lowe's personal jabs, because I actually love the feud and both of their comments.

But I can certainly see how Bettman the businessman would be more concerned with Lowe's "pathetic hockey market" comment. Unless Burke actually did call Edmonton Siberia (which you've yet to prove).
No, I don't recall Burke ever saying anything against the city itself. The whole Siberia thing is Lowe's creation.

Heist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 06:04 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 526
I was just on another site and one of the mods gave a list of all the media that covered Burke's comments about Lowe and mostly it was the Canadian media--he then posted the media that reported Lowe tirad and compared to the two list-When Lowe teed off it made a dent in the reporting cycle in California--which is a pretty powerful media centre--and it got picked up across the states as sidebars and what not---but the US media did pick up on it and that got Bettman attention

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Belcriss
McDavid Sweepstakes!

Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
I am not a Bettman fan, at all, but I am not so sure that he didn't step in till now, so that KLowe could have the last word. What Burke did was wrong, and to do it twice, makes it doubly so. I am sure that there is alot more going on behind the scenes than we'll ever know about. I am just glad its over now, and now both teams can focus on what is really important. Hockey.

Belcriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss View Post
I am not a Bettman fan, at all, but I am not so sure that he didn't step in till now, so that KLowe could have the last word. What Burke did was wrong, and to do it twice, makes it doubly so. I am sure that there is alot more going on behind the scenes than we'll ever know about. I am just glad its over now, and now both teams can focus on what is really important. Hockey.
The Oilers twice asked the NHL to do something and never did. Lowe finally snapped and went off on Burke. This morning on the Bryn and Jake show, it was mentioned that Burke called Penner useless. So now we know why Bobby Ryan was brought up. Burke called Penner useless but the NHL did nothing about Burke then. IMO, Buttman sould have done something the first time Burke bashed Lowe and Penner and not wait for a damn year.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote