HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers agree to terms with Fritsche - $875,000/YR

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2008, 10:21 AM
  #51
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,843
vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo23 View Post
They probably would not have made it with him either. I'm no Fritsche-hater and I think the kid's got some skill and deserves a shot at the lineup, but he certainly doesn't strike me as a game-breaker. Maybe in Columbus, but not here in the Big Show.
You may be right, but nevertheless that is extremely high praise coming from Hitch.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:40 AM
  #52
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 4,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo23 View Post
They probably would not have made it with him either. I'm no Fritsche-hater and I think the kid's got some skill and deserves a shot at the lineup, but he certainly doesn't strike me as a game-breaker. Maybe in Columbus, but not here in the Big Show.
I fail to see how he could potentially be a game-breaker in Columbus but not in NYC. Were the Blue Jackets relegated to the AHL or something?

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:36 PM
  #53
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
He never really had a chance to show his stuff with the Jackets. He was always given a defensive roll, any scoring was a plus. Wait until you see how fast he is, and how he can retrieve the puck on a dump and chase play. For the minutes he played his points per minutes played are pretty good. He will be a crowd pleaser. Trouble he had last year is he would play so balls out, even in practice, Hitch would scratch him now and then just to give him a rest. Was one of the best conditioned players on the team. At the time he broke his hand, he was playing with Nash, and that was really something to see.
if drury or dubinsky doesnt move to wing this season i really think fritsche will be the second line winger with drury and dawes

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:13 PM
  #54
RangerBlueJay*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
At the very least, he needs to be Hollweggs immediate replacement!

RangerBlueJay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:27 PM
  #55
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlueJay View Post
At the very least, he needs to be Hollweggs immediate replacement!
Can't see how he isn't. Fritches skill level is waaay above Ryans.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:28 PM
  #56
BobMarleyNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alphabet
Country: Iraq
Posts: 2,972
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
I was defending him, but appearently not enough?
I know you were. I'm sorry I used an afterthought in your post to make a point.

I just think it's very short-sighted to limit expectatios for a green player who is probably a year behind in development due to injuries. He might not be a consistent top line guy, but there's big potential as a top-six forward. We've seen how good some of the '03 second rounders are (Bergeron, Richards, Weber, etc.).

When we first got him, people called it a 4th line depth move.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:44 PM
  #57
BobMarleyNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alphabet
Country: Iraq
Posts: 2,972
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
He never really had a chance to show his stuff with the Jackets. He was always given a defensive roll, any scoring was a plus. Wait until you see how fast he is, and how he can retrieve the puck on a dump and chase play. For the minutes he played his points per minutes played are pretty good. He will be a crowd pleaser. Trouble he had last year is he would play so balls out, even in practice, Hitch would scratch him now and then just to give him a rest. Was one of the best conditioned players on the team. At the time he broke his hand, he was playing with Nash, and that was really something to see.
It'd be like calling Dubinsky a career 3rd liner. We have a GOOD player here, and a prototypical Ranger. I tentatively see him as Callahan with more skill (although we haven't seen enough of Callahan to say) and size. In fact, he might make Prucha or Callahan expendable once we see how things go.

We got a young '03 second round draftee, who just needs time and coaching, for Backman. I'd say we made off like bandits, two skilled playersthat just didn't fit Columbus's style for two d-men tha don't project to get a hell of a lot better.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 02:07 PM
  #58
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,969
vCash: 500
IMO fritsche isnt a 4th liner.....he should be on the 3rd line....he has more skill than callahan and a better shot and is bigger...that is not a knock on callahan, its just the way it is.....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 02:59 PM
  #59
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,843
vCash: 145
Awards:
I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, but can we wait to see Fritsche in a few games before we start laying on the superlatives?

So many members of this board are saying Fritsche makes Player X expendable, without ever having seen Fritsche play (or maybe having seen him once or twice, or a highlight reel). From all indications, Fritsche seems to have a good deal of upside; that being said, let's not count our chickens before they've hatched.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 09:12 PM
  #60
Nyrfan44
 
Nyrfan44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
This guy is going to get peanuts..

Nyrfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 09:31 PM
  #61
Nemchinov13
Registered User
 
Nemchinov13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Gravesend
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 500
What sort of, kind of bothers me is that Fritsche has never really broke out offensively in the AHL. It bothers me that he hasn't been given a chance to develop his offensive side in the pros. It's really Columbus's big mistake.

A bit off topic - same issue with Sjo. Phoenix hasn't really given him time to develop. I feel that we're doing the right thing with Korpi and Dawes and Callahan - we're getting them comfortable and aggressive in the offensive zone. And it starts with Hartford.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:51 PM
  #62
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
What sort of, kind of bothers me is that Fritsche has never really broke out offensively in the AHL. It bothers me that he hasn't been given a chance to develop his offensive side in the pros. It's really Columbus's big mistake.

A bit off topic - same issue with Sjo. Phoenix hasn't really given him time to develop. I feel that we're doing the right thing with Korpi and Dawes and Callahan - we're getting them comfortable and aggressive in the offensive zone. And it starts with Hartford.
can Fritsche play in hartford next year?? or does he have to make the team? if in hartford he can develop his offensive game.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 12:00 AM
  #63
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Why? He looks fine at center...can't say I see him looking better on the wing
Maybe not better, but at least just as effective. He is great at battling against the boards, plus he has a some good speed. I'd rather see what he could do with those skills on the wing than move Drury to wing, since he is our best faceoff man.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 12:04 AM
  #64
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
if drury or dubinsky doesnt move to wing this season i really think fritsche will be the second line winger with drury and dawes
i always wanted this guy. he reminds me of adam deadmarsh a lil.http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/41362

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 01:54 AM
  #65
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
I've always liked this kid. Liked him in the OHL and really wanted him as our second round pick back in 2003.

Having said that, he's a work in progress.

He's good size and a good overall set of skills. There's not one area that he dominates, but there's just something about him that makes you want to see him make it.

The key will be putting it all together, staying healthy and being given some icetime to develop. That hasn't really been done since before the lockout and I don't necessarily agree with the CBS brought him along.

I'd keep an eye on him. This is a kid who is just getting ready to turn 23. Obviously the attention will be on Zherdev, but I'm thrilled to add this kid as well.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 08:05 AM
  #66
Nemchinov13
Registered User
 
Nemchinov13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Gravesend
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
can Fritsche play in hartford next year?? or does he have to make the team? if in hartford he can develop his offensive game.
I'm no expert, but I think it's a bit too late in his career to be send to HFD. Unless he clearly gets outplayed for a roster spot.

I think he's at a point where he's a pretty good 3rd liner. However, if he was given a proper development, he would've been a borderline 1st, solid 2nd liner.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:08 AM
  #67
BobMarleyNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alphabet
Country: Iraq
Posts: 2,972
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, but can we wait to see Fritsche in a few games before we start laying on the superlatives?

So many members of this board are saying Fritsche makes Player X expendable, without ever having seen Fritsche play (or maybe having seen him once or twice, or a highlight reel). From all indications, Fritsche seems to have a good deal of upside; that being said, let's not count our chickens before they've hatched.
I guess you're right, it's just so easy to get excited with new toys. I was doing it to make a point that he's better than some energy guy. The truth is somewhere between my grandiosity and other peoples' underrating (but closer to my grandiosity of course ).

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:54 AM
  #68
Blueblood 2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
The cost for a solid defenseman in the UFA market is absurd. The cost for a young one with a low salary, even higher. Consider that Sather got better than fair value for Toots and you will begin to appreciate what they expect from Danny. He is way more than just a "throw in" guy in this deal. Sather did a magnificent job in this trade. May be his best ever. Time will tell.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:57 AM
  #69
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
What sort of, kind of bothers me is that Fritsche has never really broke out offensively in the AHL. It bothers me that he hasn't been given a chance to develop his offensive side in the pros. It's really Columbus's big mistake.

A bit off topic - same issue with Sjo. Phoenix hasn't really given him time to develop. I feel that we're doing the right thing with Korpi and Dawes and Callahan - we're getting them comfortable and aggressive in the offensive zone. And it starts with Hartford.
Understood, but its a little more difficult for teams like Columbus and Phoenix to NOT play those guys, even though it might seem like they are rushing them.

Both of those teams at the time we kind of forced to plug in some younger players, and why not see if the best in the system have what it takes to play?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 01:15 PM
  #70
Nemchinov13
Registered User
 
Nemchinov13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Gravesend
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Understood, but its a little more difficult for teams like Columbus and Phoenix to NOT play those guys, even though it might seem like they are rushing them.

Both of those teams at the time we kind of forced to plug in some younger players, and why not see if the best in the system have what it takes to play?
Sounds good to me. Although, we've butchered a ton of prospects ourselves. Manny is the first to come to mind.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 02:46 PM
  #71
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
Sounds good to me. Although, we've butchered a ton of prospects ourselves. Manny is the first to come to mind.
none lately though....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 04:06 PM
  #72
Nemchinov13
Registered User
 
Nemchinov13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Gravesend
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
none lately though....
I know, thank God. We can blast Sather for pre-lockout, but since lockout he's done a decent job stockpiling real NHL prospects (nevermind the fact that majority of them are bottom liners) and who have been given time time to develop and chances to succeed. Our roster is a proof of Sather's work, and he's policy of drafting BPA has yielded us Zherdev and Fritsche.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 04:37 PM
  #73
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
So, when do we find out the verdict?

This kid has a lot of potential.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:42 AM
  #74
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,954
vCash: 500
Any news on his arb date?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:47 AM
  #75
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,890
vCash: 500
NHLPA.com just added this

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/Player...y.asp?ID=26786

$875,000

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.