HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we finished?

Old
07-08-2008, 11:13 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
jokinen would be a good addition to the second line.....i seriously think drury or dubinksy is going to move to wing and renney is going to have fritsche or rissmiller center the third line

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:14 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I still think they're going to lie in wait until some star goal scorer (Kovalchuk?) decides he wants out and then throw together a monster package for him.

Wishful thinking? Yes, but I think it's a very real possibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Unless we're packaging Rozisval or Drury in there, I think you can cross that off your list of possibilities.
I think Rozsival would certainly have to be a part of it.

Besides, I didn't say it would happen tomorrow. At the earliest, it happens at the next trade deadline, but it might not even happen until next summer, or maybe even not till the trade deadline of 2010, but it's looking less and less likely that Kovalchuk will remain in Atlanta.

He's going to want out and I think this team would be foolish not to make a hard play for him.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:19 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

Besides, I didn't say it would happen tomorrow. At the earliest, it happens at the next trade deadline, but it might not even happen until next summer, or maybe even not till the trade deadline of 2010, but it's looking less and less likely that Kovalchuk will remain in Atlanta.

He's going to want out and I think any team would be foolish not to make a hard play for him.
Rozy wouldn't free up enough money. it would have to be Redden or Gomez. Drury has a NMC so his contract (note to forechecker did not bash it...i'm trying to behave ) cannot be moved.

So I really don't think that we can make a play for Kovy. Remember in the next two seasons we have to resign Dubi, Staal, Zherdov, Cally, Girardi, Anisimov. The biggest contract coming off our books in that time is prucha's $1.6 mil. There really won't be that much wiggle room to add that much more salary unless the cap really jumps again.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:21 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Heres something interesting...

If the Rangers can somehow secure another top winger, and Zherdev doesnt work out with Gomez or Drury (or if he cant handle the defensive side of the play so they want him to play less minutes - which would suck) - that said player can move up to the top line, and how about this scenario -

Rissmiller (6'4 220) - Dubinsky (6'1 210) - Zherdev (6'2 205)

Thats a power line if ive ever seen one - with speed.

Hey, you can even replace Rissmiller with Fritsche, Sjostrom or Kopedo who have some size or Callahan who plays big.

Of course this isnt the ideal line for Zherdev, but we know Dubi can play with a skilled winger (Jagr)
and it could make the lineup really deep - which shows how important it is for the Rangers to get another top winger.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

He's going to want out and I think this team would be foolish not to make a hard play for him.
I suppose if Sanguinetti was ready mid-way through the season and we weren't a contender for the playoffs, then that move might be made.

I don't think the Rangers are orchestrating their moves to free up the possibility of getting Kovalchuk in 2010. We have to resign Girardi and Staal that year, and depending on what Zherdev gets next season, it's going to be very hard to give Kovalchuk the 9+ mil he's probably going to want.

Personally, I think the Rangers are betting their future on the prospects we have coming up (Anisimov, Grachev, Cherepanov, Korpikoski, Byers and Sanguinetti) and the young guys we have in the lineup already (Zherdev, Dubinsky, Dawes, Callahan, etc).

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Fletch

If the Rangers get lucky...

and some kids are signed to some decent contracts, and the cap moves up a bit, they probably would have some room for a Kovalchuk. Saving up for something like that is silly when there's always that possibility for him to sign a 12 year $100MM contract with Atlanta to keep him there for life. It's nice to have cap fleixbility, which often is why you would stagger larger contracts, but it's tough to earmark players with the way some of the signings of franchise players have been going.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:54 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I suppose if Sanguinetti was ready mid-way through the season and we weren't a contender for the playoffs, then that move might be made.

I don't think the Rangers are orchestrating their moves to free up the possibility of getting Kovalchuk in 2010. We have to resign Girardi and Staal that year, and depending on what Zherdev gets next season, it's going to be very hard to give Kovalchuk the 9+ mil he's probably going to want.

Personally, I think the Rangers are betting their future on the prospects we have coming up (Anisimov, Grachev, Cherepanov, Korpikoski, Byers and Sanguinetti) and the young guys we have in the lineup already (Zherdev, Dubinsky, Dawes, Callahan, etc).
Don't forget that Naslund will be off the books in 2010.

I believe that this team realizes there is usually only one way of obtaining a superstar franchise player, and that is by having one of the top 2 picks in the draft. Unfortunately, the problem is, this team is the New York Rangers. After the long-term playoff drought, now is not the time to alienate fans by tanking just to get a top draft pick.

So what else do you do? Well, if the opportunity to trade for such a player ever occurs, you pounce on it. Other than Henrik Lundqvist, no one the Rangers have is a franchise player.

Kovalchuk, meanwhile, is one of the elite players in the league. Top 10 forward. Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Iginla, Heatley, Lecavalier, Thornton, Kovalchuk. Those are, give or take, the top 10 forwards in this league. You're telling me that if one of these guys becomes available, the Rangers, who have a collection of would-be 2nd and 3rd liners, aren't going to get in on it?

You have a guaranteed 40 goals, probably 45-50 with a good center, from this guy. His jersey will sell more than all the players you give up for him combined. He's exciting to watch.

Plus, you won't have a hard time convincing him to re-sign assuming the money is there. He's Russian, this is New York. You do the math.

I don't think anyone aside from Henrik is untouchable if you have a chance to get a guy like this.

Old
07-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Don't forget that Naslund will be off the books in 2010.

I believe that this team realizes there is usually only one way of obtaining a superstar franchise player, and that is by having one of the top 2 picks in the draft. Unfortunately, the problem is, this team is the New York Rangers. After the long-term playoff drought, now is not the time to alienate fans by tanking just to get a top draft pick.

So what else do you do? Well, if the opportunity to trade for such a player ever occurs, you pounce on it. Other than Henrik Lundqvist, no one the Rangers have is a franchise player.

Kovalchuk, meanwhile, is one of the elite players in the league. Top 10 forward. Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Iginla, Heatley, Lecavalier, Thornton, Kovalchuk. Those are, give or take, the top 10 forwards in this league. You're telling me that if one of these guys becomes available, the Rangers, who have a collection of would-be 2nd and 3rd liners, aren't going to get in on it?

You have a guaranteed 40 goals, probably 45-50 with a good center, from this guy. His jersey will sell more than all the players you give up for him combined. He's exciting to watch.

Plus, you won't have a hard time convincing him to re-sign assuming the money is there. He's Russian, this is New York. You do the math.

I don't think anyone aside from Henrik is untouchable if you have a chance to get a guy like this.
I'm certainly not saying that the Rangers wouldn't try to land Kovalchuk if the opportunity presented itself. In fact, this team could wind up hording Russians like the Red Wings horde Swedes. I'm simply stating that I don't think the Rangers are making moves while thinking "Does this allow us to target Player X in 2 years?"

I'd LOVE to see Kovalchuk in a Rangers Jersey. I mean, what's not to love about having Kovalchuk - Gomez - Zherdev as your top line with guys like Drury, Anisimov, Cherepanov, Dawes, Dubinsky, and Grachev all competing for a 2nd line spot. Thats a great problem to have.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:12 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I'm certainly not saying that the Rangers wouldn't try to land Kovalchuk if the opportunity presented itself. In fact, this team could wind up hording Russians like the Red Wings horde Swedes. I'm simply stating that I don't think the Rangers are making moves while thinking "Does this allow us to target Player X in 2 years?"

I'd LOVE to see Kovalchuk in a Rangers Jersey. I mean, what's not to love about having Kovalchuk - Gomez - Zherdev as your top line with guys like Drury, Anisimov, Cherepanov, Dawes, Dubinsky, and Grachev all competing for a 2nd line spot. Thats a great problem to have.
I think that they simply have the Kovalchuk thing in the back of their mind. I'm not saying that it is the principle around which they are operating, but I do think it's something they are paying attention to.

And they should be. All the signs point to him wanting out of Atlanta eventually. The team is horrible. Aside from Bogosian, Enstrom and Pavelec, they've got nothing going for them. Lehtonen hasn't been what they've hoped for, and they've got very little as far as offense goes. I imagine Kovalchuk is tired of being centered by Todd White, too. How Waddell still has a job is beyond me.

Heck, even their fans expect this to happen. They were talking about it on their board. So if it should happen, I expect the Rangers to be very, very much a player in those negotiations.