HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryder to the BRUINS for 4 Million/year for 3 years!

Old
07-08-2008, 12:29 PM
BadHabit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Well, playful or not, i dont think his comment was meant in a negative way. Carbo is too much a straight-arrow to be a hypocrit of sorts.

We understood one thing, only he knows what he really meant. But Carbo is not sneaky nor underhanded, he's a 'in your face' type of guy and if he really wanted to be cheap, ot would have been way more apparent in his comment.

On that alone i give Carbo the benefit of the doubt.
It's not really about what he meant, it's the fact that he shouldn't have said it at all. Carbo's been in Montreal long enough, he knows what the media is like and he knows that he shouldn't say anything that could be taken the wrong way.

Here we are trying to coax UFA's to sign with us and Carbo makes a comment that could be read as him making fun of an ex-player's contract. EVEN if he didn't mean it (which he likely didn't), he should have not said it. He should be smarter than that.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

I think it was all in good fun.

Part of the premium paid by the Bruins likely comes from Julien's intimate knowledge of Ryder's game and a feeling he could get more out of him than what he showed last year.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:52 PM
MastaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
It's not really about what he meant, it's the fact that he shouldn't have said it at all. Carbo's been in Montreal long enough, he knows what the media is like and he knows that he shouldn't say anything that could be taken the wrong way.

Here we are trying to coax UFA's to sign with us and Carbo makes a comment that could be read as him making fun of an ex-player's contract. EVEN if he didn't mean it (which he likely didn't), he should have not said it. He should be smarter than that.
I agree he shouldn't have said that...Yes alot of people think what he said is probably true but as a coach he shouldn't say things like that..

MastaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I would even bet when he was quoted by the reporter he said this statement with a smile on his face. But he should have kept it to himself, because I think it's going to get twisted as the story gains momentum.
The real question is... is this really worthy of a story, or gaining some momentum?

I mean, aside from the anal-retentive types, who really cares if Carbo said that? It's like the "Rivet dont likes no winterz" thing. It's harmless. But some obsessive individuals will try to make a big deal out of it.

It's the worse kept secret in hockey that free agency is totally crazy and players are being largely overpaid. The second worse kept secret in hockey is that Michael Ryder sucked donkey balls last season.

By comparison, saying some of the contracts were "surprising" and that Ryder should thank Julien is as mild as it gets.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Pascal

He better share it with Julien indeed.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I really don't think it was mean with any animosity. I just think (like you), that even jokingly. Something like that should not have been said to the media.

I understand where you're coming from IP. But I know Carbo personally, and I would bet that his comment was not meant as a compliment to Julien. But as more of a playful shot at Ryder.
I think some of you complaining are very hypocritical.
Here we are, bashing pretty much every signing since July1st. GMs giving ridiculous contracts to players.
Now, Carbo pretty much joke about it and said what everybody else in Mtl thinks. So, because he's a coach he shouldn't have said that? Its unprofessional?..that's BS.

Even on TSN, after the signing of Jeff Finger, how many jokes did they crack with that??..''Toronto just gave its fans the Finger''..etc..
Were they unprofessional as well?..Even if it was a joke, they ridiculed the offer.

Carbo did the same thing except a bit less meaner.

The media can take it and spin it the way they want, bottom line is Ryder's contract is ridiculous and everybody knows it.
I think more people like him, coaches and then GMs should come out to give their 2cents about these contracts given. What will it be like in 2015 if the league keeps making profit?..A Steve Begin type player will be making 3M? Bouillon at 3.5M will be a bargain??..
Malkin will resign in 2014 at 60M for 3years?..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaK View Post
I agree he shouldn't have said that...Yes alot of people think what he said is probably true but as a coach he shouldn't say things like that..
And why is that?..he didn't say he wanted to hump Ryder's wife..

Knowing Ryder, after reading this comment he'd laugh and say Carbo is right.

Old
07-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think some of you complaining are very hypocritical.
Here we are, bashing pretty much every signing since July1st. GMs giving ridiculous contracts to players.
Now, Carbo pretty much joke about it and said what everybody else in Mtl thinks. So, because he's a coach he shouldn't have said that? Its unprofessional?..that's BS

Even on TSN, after the signing of Jeff Finger, how many jokes did they crack with that??..''Toronto just gave its fans the Finger''..etc..
Were they unprofessional as well?..Even if it was a joke, they ridiculed the offer.

Carbo did the same thing except a bit less meaner.

The media can take it and spin it the way they want, bottom line is Ryder's contract is ridiculous and everybody knows it.
I think more people like him, coaches and then GMs should come out to give their 2cents about these contracts given. What will it be like in 2015 if the league keeps making profit?..A Steve Begin type player will be making 3M? Bouillon at 3.5M will be a bargain??..
Malkin will resign in 2014 at 60M for 3years?..
Well I don't know about you Kriss, but I'm a fan of a hockey team. Not the GM, so what me or anyone else not affliated with a team says means nothing.

Do I agree with what Carbo is saying, jokingly or not. ****ing right I do, I think it's hilarious. My point was that someone in Carbo's position should not be making this comment.

07-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Well I don't know about you Kriss, but I'm a fan of a hockey team. Not the GM, so what me or anyone else not affliated with a team says means nothing.

Do I agree with what Carbo is saying, jokingly or not. ****ing right I do, I think it's hilarious. My point was that someone in Carbo's position should not be making this comment.
I agree with you. Funny thing to say to your buddies, unwise (to say the least) thing to say to the media.

Ryder may well take it in stride, but he's gonna feel nothing less than a sting from that comment. Ditto for Julien and the Bruins. What's the point at taking a jab at a player leaving the organization.

It's not the end of the world, but it's pointless and lacks a bit of class.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
The real question is... is this really worthy of a story, or gaining some momentum?

I mean, aside from the anal-retentive types, who really cares if Carbo said that? It's like the "Rivet dont likes no winterz" thing. It's harmless. But some obsessive individuals will try to make a big deal out of it.

It's the worse kept secret in hockey that free agency is totally crazy and players are being largely overpaid. The second worse kept secret in hockey is that Michael Ryder sucked donkey balls last season.

By comparison, saying some of the contracts were "surprising" and that Ryder should thank Julien is as mild as it gets.
You've been a fan of the Habs for a long time Vlad, so you honestly should know the answer already. But to answer, no this shouldn't be news worthy. As for the momentum part, I'm not so sure, we'll see what happens in the next few days.

Honestly, I think it's funny and if Carbo was sitting around with a bunch of guys having a few beers and made this comment, I would have no problem with it.

But considering his position with the Habs, I don't think it was the best idea he's ever had to come out and make this type of comment about a former player in the media.

There is a bit of a difference when you consider Rivet's comment about not liking snow and taking a shot, even jokingly at a person's hockey ability or salary.

Personally I'm not one of those obsessive individuals who is trying to make a big deal out of this. I actually got a good laugh out of it to tell you the truth. My point was that he should have kept a comment like that behind closest doors.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:27 PM
BadHabit

Quote:
You've been a fan of the Habs for a long time Vlad, so you honestly should know the answer already. But to answer, no this shouldn't be news worthy. As for the momentum part, I'm not so sure, we'll see what happens in the next few days.

Honestly, I think it's funny and if Carbo was sitting around with a bunch of guys having a few beers and made this comment, I would have no problem with it.

But considering his position with the Habs, I don't think it was the best idea he's ever had to come out and make this type of comment about a former player in the media.

There is a bit of a difference when you consider Rivet's comment about not liking snow and taking a shot, even jokingly at a person's hockey ability or salary.

Personally I'm not one of those obsessive individuals who is trying to make a big deal out of this. I actually got a good laugh out of it to tell you the truth. My point was that he should have kept a comment like that behind closest doors.
Agree 100%. Why give UFA's or any other player for that matter another reason to dislike the organization? Unprofessional IMHO.

Old
07-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

Its great and all, to try and be diplomatic or ''politically correct''..

But why shouldn't he have said such a comment?..Did he compromise anything?..Did he offend anybody??..Is he going to be fined??..Will it back fire? how so??..
I don't get it.

Some people are way too touchy. If this type of comment shouldn't be said to the media, what should?..Are they not allowed to express their opinion and be critical?..Why not??..Because they coach??..If it was Gary Bettman that would have said that, Id understand your point. But a coach???...plz man.

Old
07-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Agree 100%. Why give UFA's or any other player for that matter another reason to dislike the organization? Unprofessional IMHO.
Ease up there buddy. Ryder would be the first to come back here if we offered him a lucrative contract.
This will have 0 impact on ''dirtying'' our image.

Old
07-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

It's a funny comment, no story here.

There's nothing wrong with a few colourful comments from team staff. Honestly, if we always demand 100% diplomacy we might as well hire Mother Teresa to coach the team, or the Dalai Lama maybe.

Ryder took a shot at the team, Carbo cracked a joke about his contract. Big freakin' deal.

I think Carbo said what the rest of the league is thinking anyhow.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Habs

At first I was like :

Then I heard the amount of money he was getting, and I was like :

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Stewart JH Esq MBE

Quote:
From today's Gazette
(http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...8-7be558983b2e)

One contract that must have surprised Carbonneau was the three-year, $12-million contract Canadiens' free agent Michael Ryder signed with Boston.

"He better share that with Claude," Carbonneau said, referring to Bruins head coach Claude Julien, who also coached Ryder in junior and at the start of his NHL career with the Habs.

I think my story's much better.

Stewart JH Esq MBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Jemal Harris View Post
I think my story's much better.
Everybody thinks it's true though.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Stewart JH Esq MBE

Here's a random FACT for you FACT fans. This guy told me that Sheldon Souray loved Montreal, and that he wouldn't leave unless he got a mammoth offer when I was sitting next to him at last year's Grand Prix. Shows you how much even the most seniors of journalists know about what's really happening.

He also assured me that Gainey will be shopping Kovalev around at the start of the season (last one). And that Chris Higgins was definitely gonna be our new captain once Saku leaves. I told him that I didn't follow post season news, because most of it's made up. He's a great guy though, even if he has a moustache.

Last edited by Stewart JH Esq MBE: 07-08-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Stewart JH Esq MBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 02:08 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Jemal Harris View Post
Here's a random FACT for you FACT fans. This guy told me that Sheldon Souray loved Montreal, and that he wouldn't leave unless he got a mammoth offer when I was sitting next to him at last year's Grand Prix. Shows you how much even the most seniors of journalists know about what's really happening.

He also assured me that Gainey will be shopping Kovalev around at the start of the season (last one). And that Chris Higgins was definitely gonna be our new captain once Saku leaves. I told him that I didn't follow post season news, because most of it's made up. He's a great guy though, even if he has a moustache.
thing is, he's working on impressions like everyone else. Thinking that this guy who did work on some projects with Souray could predict the future is kind of futile.

It's all, 'based on my impression', 'from what I've been told' and nothing is sure until it happens.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 02:08 PM
BadHabit

The Montreal organization is a storied, well respected one throughout the league. I take pride in knowing that they don't get into slinging matches like Lowe and Burke, that we try not to call out the refs and that we are pretty classy overall. I think Montrealers and fans of the team should feel the same way and want their team to act professionally at all times. For the younger people on here, maybe you don't understand what that means but I'm sure you will later on in life.

Running a multi-million dollar organization like the Canadiens is not a laughing matter. Perhaps a smaller market team could get away with such things, but here in Montreal where everything gets blown out of proportion - coaches, players and staff need to act very politically. The reason they need to do this is because of talent we may want to attract down the road. Everyone here knows that it is hard enough to get quality UFA's here as it is, let alone if this team was constantly in the news for making snide remarks or pissing off other GM's. Do you think any player would ever want to come here if that was the case, given all the other negatives for playing here? (Ie taxes, weather, etc) Not a chance!

It may seem stupid, but YES - the team needs to be politically correct and a good ambassador for the city of Montreal. And I'm not just talking about this incident, but all incidents that have happened in the past. The team can't afford to give the media any ammo whatsoever for them to run with if they want to keep a good reputation around the league - and that is why Carbo shouldn't have said it. If you can't understand that, then I'm not sure what to say.

As for the person who thinks Ryder would sign back here if we offered him big money, I laugh at you. Ryder would not sign back here for anything. Do you think he really needs the money at this point? What about when he's done his current contract in Boston? He would never play here again if he had his way. There's about as much chance of that happening as Samsonov coming back. And do I blame either of them? Not a bit.

Old
07-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Its great and all, to try and be diplomatic or ''politically correct''..

But why shouldn't he have said such a comment?..Did he compromise anything?..Did he offend anybody??..Is he going to be fined??..Will it back fire? how so??..
I don't get it.

Some people are way too touchy. If this type of comment shouldn't be said to the media, what should?..Are they not allowed to express their opinion and be critical?..Why not??..Because they coach??..If it was Gary Bettman that would have said that, Id understand your point. But a coach???...plz man.

Will his comment cause damage to the organization, or get him fired. Lol...no it won't.

Personally I found it funny, so I hope the "Some people are way too touchy", was not directed at me.

It's not the point that Carbo should be diplomatic, or "politically correct". It was a harmless comment IMO, but it still shouldn't have been said in the media by someone in his position. So you or anyone else can pick up the debate for as long as you want, I'm still gonna stay with my stubborn stance.

Old
07-08-2008, 02:12 PM
mcphee

glad I don't live in a world where people analyze every off hand comment I've ever made.

From the day Carbo said good bye to the AHL and arrived in Mtl, he's always spoke in a wry sort of bemused way, used a bit of humour , and kept things at that.

To make more of it is just people wanting to. Does anyone really think anything differently of anyone at this moment ? Who cares ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 02:13 PM
BadHabit

Quote:
It's not the point that Carbo should be diplomatic, or "politically correct". It was a harmless comment IMO, but it still shouldn't have been said in the media by someone in his position.
Isn't thinking one thing and saying the "right" thing to the media being politically correct though?

Old
07-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Isn't thinking one thing and saying the "right" thing to the media being politically correct though?
lol...I'm not expecting Carbo to lie. But there are always ways to get your point across, without well....coming out and saying it.

Old
07-08-2008, 02:17 PM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
glad I don't live in a world where people analyze every off hand comment I've ever made.

From the day Carbo said good bye to the AHL and arrived in Mtl, he's always spoke in a wry sort of bemused way, used a bit of humour , and kept things at that.

To make more of it is just people wanting to. Does anyone really think anything differently of anyone at this moment ? Who cares ?
I'm not analyzing, honestly. But some NHL players might when they read it in the papers. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. The fact of the matter is, why give them the opportunity to think anything negative? If you conduct yourself with respect for everyone and portray yourself as a classy individual, that only makes the team look better.

Prime example - see Gainey. Would he ever have made a comment like this? No. And how is he viewed in the league? How is Carbo viewed in the league? I rest my case.