HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4th Line

Old
07-08-2008, 03:23 PM
cccya

vCash: 500
Rissmiller is going to play IMO. He played 79 games each of the past two years. Last year he was on one of the best 3rd lines in the league. Also, was the #3 forward PKer on the 1st or 2nd ranked PK in the league. Was 3rd or 4th in hits with 111. He's not going to have a ton of highlight reel hits, but he plays physical and is very difficult to knock off the puck. His points totals are low and I would expect them to increase playing regularly in the Eastern Conference. I watched the majority of the Sharks games and he did his job, night in and night out. People talk about him not being able to clear the zone. It happened in one playoff game two years ago and he came back and scored the game winner in double overtime.
I just thought I'd give you people an educated opinion on one of the UFA signings.

cccya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 03:36 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccya View Post
Rissmiller is going to play IMO. He played 79 games each of the past two years. Last year he was on one of the best 3rd lines in the league. Also, was the #3 forward PKer on the 1st or 2nd ranked PK in the league. Was 3rd or 4th in hits with 111. He's not going to have a ton of highlight reel hits, but he plays physical and is very difficult to knock off the puck. His points totals are low and I would expect them to increase playing regularly in the Eastern Conference. I watched the majority of the Sharks games and he did his job, night in and night out. People talk about him not being able to clear the zone. It happened in one playoff game two years ago and he came back and scored the game winner in double overtime.
I just thought I'd give you people an educated opinion on one of the UFA signings.
Welcome to the board, and a very very nice post indeed.

Nice to hear some positive feedback about the guy. You might be right, especailly since hes a PK man. Something the Rangers will need since Straka and Shanny (most likely) are gone. If he plays like you say he does, hes a huge upgrade over Hollweg.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:07 PM
cccya

Thanks. I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised. He put up some good numbers in the AHL and was an All-Star, the year he got called up. What's the story with Jessiman? I remember when he left Dartmouth and was being hyped as a can't miss.

Old
07-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Fletch

They do need another top 6 body...

but there's no way they would be able to afford a top six body without losing a top six salary. Prucha's an obvious candidate, but what's the return? Perhaps they're going to play Prucha and see if he sinks or swims. That's always a possibility.

I don't mind growing pains one bit as long as the end result is something good. Miss the playoffs? Fine, just make sure that you're in them the next season and start winning playoffs games to.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Fletch

Hbnyc...

is he really Hollweg's replacement or is Voros Hollweg's replacement? Rissmiller seemed to get 3rd line minutes (and the poster above confirmed that he was a third liner). I also thought he was a centerman, but perhaps he can or does play wing. Also, his point totals are nice, but are they on par with what you'd expect from a third line? Remember, for all intents and purposes, Drury was the third line centerman. If it wasn't him it was Dubi. Still tons of questions to be answered and people to be moved.

Old
07-08-2008, 04:21 PM
cccya

You're right, his points were off. That line overall didn't put up great numbers. They played a shut down roll for the most part. I would expect 30 points is a realistic number. Definitely not a guarantee, but certainly possible. He's a center, but has played significant time at both wings. I don't think he played center at all until this past season and did a decent job in the faceoff circle.

Old
07-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats why I said the majority of his time was spent with Orr and Hollweg. I guess you're referring to the handful of times he was plugged into a 2nd or 3rd line spot for a couple of games.

Im not saying Betts will light it up, but I think he can consistently score around 10 goals per year with better linemates on the 4th line. Not playing with skilled enough linemates is a perfect excuse for the Petr Prucha puck bunnies.
Guys ,as it stands right now the top 9 forwards are set(in my mind)

Any combo of:

Gomez
Drury
Dubinsky
Prucha
Dawes
Callahan
Zherdev
Naslund
Fritsche

I see the 4th line as

Rissmiller, Betts, Sjostrom

AND if they feel they need to get a enforcer in for certain games then Voros or Orr step in for one of them

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Hutchinson is on his way out FYI. http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/
That's a mistake. He can turn into a real good dman real quick.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Yeah, I already had done a thread where I wrote that we likely won't get better next year. Probably the same second round or even worse, first round and out. In response I got flamed for "panicking".

But I'm looking at it long term. Adding Zherdev was good progress for the future. Fritsche should also be a good future asset to either play or to be traded.

I like the DZ pick, i was probably the only person who wanted an offensive defenseman drafted because Sang is not any kind of a sure thing and with both Sang and DZ, we can now be pretty confident that we'll have ONE offensive defenseman capable of playing on the first pairing.

Redden will be a top 4 defenseman for most, if not all, of his contract.

So we made some good progress so far this summer. This season won't be anything special, but we are making good progress for the future.

Think long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I gotta tell you that when I look at that group of forwards I think this team ain't going to do much this season. The top line seems interesting, and in a sense seems like it would clash too. That's where you wish you had a 30 year old Shanahan. So Gomez gets a couple new linemates and Dubi's strating over and the only continuity is Drury and Dawes who played together, although not extensively. Talk about growing pains. And the defesnsive pairs are all new. I do think that Renney will at least have a left defenseman with a right defenseman (Redden/Rozsival, Girardi/Staal) though; or he may keep Staal with Rozsival so at least one pairing has familiarity.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Fletch

Voros was an everyday player...

In Minnesota. Boorgaard was the enforcer. I don't think he came to NY to be a 13th forward and don't think the Rangers are paying him $1MM per for three years to be a 13th forward (or even a fourth liner).

Rissmiller's a guy who averaged third line minutes too. If he's on the fourth line, expect to be disappointed when his point totals are not where they were last season and if he's less effective.

I really hope this organization isn't going back to the days where it got players for the sake of acquiring them and not realizing that when they change their roles the results may vary (see Kovalev, left wing, or Holik, top line centerman).

So with Vitto's nine forwards, one of Voros or Rissmiller can fit in via jettisoning Prucha. The other gets less minutes than last season? And if it's Rissmiller, you have Voros, Betts and Sjostrom on a fourth line...no room for Byers or Korps? Zero enforcer after seeing Renney's dedication to enforcers, or is Voros going to take over and get his butt kicked by real enforcers.

A deal will come. Perhaps it's Prucha. Perhaps it's Prucha and Cally. Perhaps it's some other variation. But there will be more than one guy going, I believe.

Old
07-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccya View Post
Thanks. I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised. He put up some good numbers in the AHL and was an All-Star, the year he got called up. What's the story with Jessiman? I remember when he left Dartmouth and was being hyped as a can't miss.
So far.. he's missed quite a bit. Had a better 2nd season in the AHL last year, but still not even remotely close to where he was projected to be. I haven't closed the book on him yet, but barring a serious leap in performance this year, I don't know how much longer he'll be around.

As far as Rissmiller and Voros, I think you have to assume they're both going to be on the roster to start the season. You don't pay guys 1 mil/yr each to go to Hartford unless they're 1st rounders. Guys like Fritsche, Rissmiller and Voros lead me to believe guys like Orr, Callahan and Prucha are probably being shopped around. I don't think any of them are going to get a top-six forward in return, but packaged with a higher pick or a good prospect, they might fetch something decent. Possibly a young forward who is NHL ready but having a difficult time cracking the lineup due to roster size or whatever. For some reason Rob Schremp immediately came to mind after I typed that out. Cheap and only under contract for one more year, just like Prucha. Might be an even trade if Lowe tells his buddy Sather that he could jump into a top-six role.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 09:21 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I've seen a number of posts talking about the rear that this team is going to take a while to gel because there's been so much roster turnover - and that this will lead to the team underperforming and perhaps even missing the POs.

First of all, I don't think they're done with they're offseason moves. There are simply TOO many forwards who are ready to play in the NHL. But, more to the point regarding "gelling"... I think this team will take LESS time to gel than last year's did. Even if they make more moves as I think they will. The whole point has been to build a more cohesive team that fits better together - and I think they've been successful at that goal. And as a result, they should hit their stride a lot quicker, and more confidently, than they did last year.

It's hard to lose a talent like Jagr, but this should be one of the side benefits of finally turning the team over to Gomez and Drury.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:15 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I've seen a number of posts talking about the rear that this team is going to take a while to gel because there's been so much roster turnover - and that this will lead to the team underperforming and perhaps even missing the POs.

First of all, I don't think they're done with they're offseason moves. There are simply TOO many forwards who are ready to play in the NHL. But, more to the point regarding "gelling"... I think this team will take LESS time to gel than last year's did. Even if they make more moves as I think they will. The whole point has been to build a more cohesive team that fits better together - and I think they've been successful at that goal. And as a result, they should hit their stride a lot quicker, and more confidently, than they did last year.

It's hard to lose a talent like Jagr, but this should be one of the side benefits of finally turning the team over to Gomez and Drury.
you speak the truth

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 05:04 PM
AGMongoose

I was hoping that Voros and Rissmiller could play on the 3rd line with Cally. Voros has some offensive potential (had 4 2-point games last season) and hits.
Like most of you said, there are way too many forwards. If we accept that Zherdev, Naslund, and Gomez will play together (which totally makes sense), there is still Dubi, Dawes, Drury, Fritsche, and Prucha (who I think deserves another chance to play on the top 2 lines) for 3 spots on the 2nd line.
I guess Voros could play on the 4th line with Betts and Orr. Then maybe Dubi could play on the 3rd line with Riss and Cally.
A trade is coming . . .

AGMongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:53 PM
McMonster

if it wasn't for is PK ability, Betts wouldve been gone along time ago

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 11:26 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante76 View Post
if it wasn't for is PK ability, Betts wouldve been gone along time ago
i agree......i think he may be part of a deal coming soon....the rangers want a more offensive system.....betts doesnt really fit that.....

p.s.- not saying i want him off the team, but with the aquistions, rismiller or callahan might make more sense to add some offense to the 4th line

Old
07-09-2008, 11:36 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
IMO korpikoski will be back down in the AHL next season.......with all the depth the rangers have, unless they make a trade he will be put in the AHL to see if he can dominate and improve his offensive game with a ton of minutes....

voros-betts-byers

that line IMO would be a solid 4th line with grit, speed, goal scoring and forechecking.....

drury-gomez-zherdev
dawes-dubinsky-naslund
sjostrom-fritsche-callahan
voros-betts-byers
orr, rissmiller
def Sjostrom on 3rd line.. maybe switch Drury with Naslund and we got something there..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 11:47 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
def Sjostrom on 3rd line.. maybe switch Drury with Naslund and we got something there..
how about this:

naslund-gomez-zherdev
dawes-dubinsky-drury
rissmiller-fritsche-sjostrom
voros-callahan-byers
orr

prucha, hollweg and betts traded for picks......

korpikoski would be the 1st call-up

4 lines who can score and the 4th line will grind and forecheck hard and cause turnovers.....third line has speed and size....