HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2004 Draft - Euro and NCAA

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2004, 11:26 AM
theoilers

vCash: 500
2004 Draft - Euro and NCAA

Could their be a very high probablity that the Oilers draft with both first rounders a European and NCAA rather then CHL due to the 2 year rule. I just thought about how many younger players the Oilers will have to sign in a year or 2 like Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Jessi Niinmaki, Kyle Brodziak, Zack Stotorni, Alexei Mikanov. I think Pouliot and Niinimaki will have to be signed next summer and with $$$ in the way and also longer term development, the Oilers may go this route.

AS Lowetide said, he think Lauri Kopliroski and Jacek (spelling - BCHL player) could be drafted so the Oilers hold their rights for a while or may be Lauri T and another European.

Side Note I can see Travis J going from NCAA to CHL as many players have done this like Kobesaw, Comrie, and now Pinneault from Boston since British Columbia has a few CHL teams and he could play a prominent role.

Old
06-08-2004, 11:40 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoilers
Could their be a very high probablity that the Oilers draft with both first rounders a European and NCAA rather then CHL due to the 2 year rule. I just thought about how many younger players the Oilers will have to sign in a year or 2 like Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Jessi Niinmaki, Kyle Brodziak, Zack Stotorni, Alexei Mikanov. I think Pouliot and Niinimaki will have to be signed next summer and with $$$ in the way and also longer term development, the Oilers may go this route.

Europeans are not included in this rule. You don't have to sign a European until they come to N.A., so if Mikhnov or Niinimaki take 10 years to come, Edmonton will still own their NHL rights.

The Oilers have 5 guys to sign by June 1 2005: Bordziak, Pouliot, Jacques, Bodie and Stortini. At this point the only one questionable is Bodie but he turned it on in the playoffs and if he continues, he could raise his stock again this coming year with Kelowna.

Old
06-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoilers
Side Note I can see Travis J going from NCAA to CHL as many players have done this like Kobesaw, Comrie, and now Pinneault from Boston since British Columbia has a few CHL teams and he could play a prominent role.
While there are players who move to CHL from the NCAA for a variety of reasons, the numbers aren't as numerous as than you might think (and imply) and just because they are discussed doesn't mean it necessarily happens. Case & point, several people here at HF and other hockey boards were so sure that Jeff Tambellini was leaving Michigan for the CHL after the 2002-03 season and ended up staying at Michigan. Whether you and I like it or not is beside the point and it was a decision that Tambellini himself made and was (apparently) content with.

Closed Thread