HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Yahoo! Offseason Power Rankings

Old
07-08-2008, 04:40 PM
McDonagh27

vCash: 500
Yahoo! Offseason Power Rankings

Stole this from the Debbies board. Rangers ranked 8th overall before the start of the season. Pretty much spot on where I think they belong.

. New York Rangers Ė The Rangers have never proven to be shy at this time of year, salary cap or not. They made two bold moves by giving defenseman Wade Redden $39 million for six seasons and declining forward Markus Naslund $8 million for two years. Those are a couple of significant and expensive gambles. The steady and improving Michal Rozsival looks like a steal at four years for $20 million. And speaking of gambles, New York takes on Nikolai Zherdev in a four-player trade with Columbus. This one has an upside if the enigmatic Russian finally blossoms, but Midtown Manhattan sure isnít Middletown, Ohio.

For full article, click here

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:48 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Philly is higher than us? And, Naslund, a declining forward? What do you expect when the offense of Vancouver keeps on flying out when they have the chance? And Dallas doesn't seem too good. What can a team of agitators that "hate" each other do to the other team? Seriously.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

its Yahoo, faghuddeboutit

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:56 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGomezToZherdev View Post
Philly is higher than us? And, Naslund, a declining forward? What do you expect when the offense of Vancouver keeps on flying out when they have the chance? And Dallas doesn't seem too good. What can a team of agitators that "hate" each other do to the other team? Seriously.
its nothing we haven already heard. Naslund still has to prove it wrong. Lets not forget that.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:56 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGomezToZherdev View Post
I gotta really disagree with you here. This is a higher ranking then I would have given this team.

Philly has far better forwards than we do. We have a bunch of relatively unproven young forwards to go along with a pair of top-earning but not top-producing centers, an issue-plagued wing with a lot of potential and an aging star who is no longer a star. If Naslund had a tough time in Vancouver's offense, how is he going to fair in Renney's system? We scored less goals than the Canucks did in a worse conference.

Blueline wise, they're better than us as well. If Redden plays like he did last year, we have major problems and Kalinin is extremely inconsistent.

Of course, I'll take Henrik over Biron everyday.

As for Dallas, they were the 2nd best team in a far better conference. I think they're a much better team than the Rangers right now. They have a very solid defense, a very good goaltender, and are extremely deep offensively. I'm sure Avery and Ott will get over their problems, and if they don't Ott will get traded. Simple as that.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 09:24 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I gotta really disagree with you here. This is a higher ranking then I would have given this team.

Philly has far better forwards than we do. We have a bunch of relatively unproven young forwards to go along with a pair of top-earning but not top-producing centers, an issue-plagued wing with a lot of potential and an aging star who is no longer a star. If Naslund had a tough time in Vancouver's offense, how is he going to fair in Renney's system? We scored less goals than the Canucks did in a worse conference.

Blueline wise, they're better than us as well. If Redden plays like he did last year, we have major problems and Kalinin is extremely inconsistent.

Of course, I'll take Henrik over Biron everyday.

As for Dallas, they were the 2nd best team in a far better conference. I think they're a much better team than the Rangers right now. They have a very solid defense, a very good goaltender, and are extremely deep offensively. I'm sure Avery and Ott will get over their problems, and if they don't Ott will get traded. Simple as that.
I can see most of your points, but please explain the part in bold - I think the Rangers will be the class of the east D-wise.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 09:30 PM
broadwayblue

I think that's right about where we belong. We've made it to the Semis two years in a row, which means we're probably around a top 8 team in the league. I'm sure some will say the West is stronger, or that we finished the regular season lower than that...but if the 16th team to make the post season wins the Cup do they not have the right to call themselves the best team in the league that year?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I can see most of your points, but please explain the part in bold - I think the Rangers will be the class of the east D-wise.
Yeah, Philly's D is still fairly suspect outside of their top two of Corbun and Timmonen, and I wouldn't say those two are really better than a pairing of Staal/Redden would be

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Oneoriginal6

IMO Philly is a joke, they were beat up by almost everyone in the division last year, they got a lucky draw in the playoffs. Even though Montreal was a number one seed, who cares. They had the worst goalie in the playoffs. They also were in a weak division. As for the Capitals the only player they have to speak of is Ovechkin. RJ Umberger was Philly's best player in the playoffs and he's history. Sorry, But Philly should not be ahead of the Rangers.

Oneoriginal6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:05 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromAnisimov2Zherdev View Post
The steady and improving Michal Rozsival looks like a steal at four years for $20 million.
Where this article loses all credibility...

07-08-2008, 10:54 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I will admit that maybe I overrated Philly's blueline. I just looked at it and it isn't that impressive. I love Timmonen and Coburn, but the rest is slightly above average at best.

I don't know about class of the East, but they probably will have one of the better defense groups in the East. I think Montreal, Florida, Pittsburgh, Boston, Ottawa and the Rangers, maybe Buffalo are all up there. But how much does that mean? I think it just goes to show how bad the East is compared to the West. Overall, I don't think we have such a great group. A whole lot of "IF" about them.

If Wade Redden, plays the way he did before 2006-07, then it's a possibility. Now, if that doesn't happen, then this team has a big problem. He'll be getting paid 6.5 million dollars, which means he'll be playing a lot of minutes. You don't sit guys with those kind of contracts.

Remember, Senators fans couldn't wait to get rid of this guy, and with good reason. He was at best a 2nd pair defense.

Then you have Dimitri Kalinin who is very inconsistent and at times is downright horrible. Much like Redden, his former team's fans couldn't wait to be rid of him.

You know what to expect from Paul Mara and Michal Rozsival, or at least I hope you do. Personally, I think Rozsival is nothing special. He's not particularly great on defense and can't compete against opposing teams' best forwards. He isn't the answer for the power play, either. What he is now is an overpaid 2nd pairing defenseman.

Mara is a 3rd pairing defenseman who seems to have lost his offensive game and despite having a great shot, couldn't hit the net with a laser guided missile. I don't mind his defensive game.

Staal and Girardi I'm not worried about.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote